• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
In the summer of 2020, after a police officer killed George Floyd, Rockstar Games quietly shelved a mode of play it had planned to release for its Grand Theft Auto Online game.

Called Cops 'n' Crooks, the mode was a twist on the children's game where players organize into teams of good guys and bad guys, but seemed especially tone-deaf during the global reckoning over police violence. Senior executives at the company, concerned about how the narrative might be interpreted during a time of heightened skepticism and mistrust of American police, put it aside. They still haven't made plans to bring it back, according to people familiar with development.

This was one of several politically sensitive actions Rockstar, a division of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., has taken in recent years. The company removed transphobic jokes from the most recent console release of Grand Theft Auto V and significantly narrowed its gender pay gap. Rockstar's next game, Grand Theft Auto VI, will include a playable female protagonist for the first time, according to people familiar with the game. The woman, who is Latina, will be one of a pair of leading characters in a story influenced by the bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde, the people said. Developers are also being cautious not to "punch down" by making jokes about marginalized groups, the people said, in contrast to previous games.

Moves like these once seemed unthinkable for a company whose best-selling franchise is a satirical depiction of America that involves playing gangsters who kill civilians and where women are mostly depicted as sex objects. Grand Theft Auto V was a nihilistic parody that threw insults at everything, from right-wing radio hosts to liberal politicians. Inside the company, the tone wasn't much different. Rockstar employees described a workplace culture full of drinking, brawling and excursions to strip clubs. The company was an early symbol of an industry-wide problem of long hours at the office, known as crunch, in which staff were expected to be at their desks many nights and weekends in order to keep a game on schedule.

The transformation of Rockstar includes changes to scheduling, converting contractors to full-time employees and the ouster of several managers that employees saw as abusive or difficult to work with. When the pandemic started, workers received care packages, cloth masks and surprise bonuses. During the protests over the death of George Floyd, a Black man who was murdered by police officers, the company said it would match donations to Black Lives Matter charities. Employees have been given new mental health and leave benefits. A new policy called "flexitime" allows staff to immediately take time off for every extra hour they work. And for the past four years, management has promised that excessive overtime won't be required for Grand Theft Auto VI, one of the most-highly anticipated games by fans and investors on the planet.

www.bloomberg.com

Rockstar Games Cleaned Up Its Frat-Boy Culture — and Grand Theft Auto, Too

With a new tone at the company and a change in creative direction, GTA VI will probably feel very different from its predecessor

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
www.bloomberg.com

Rockstar Games Cleaned Up Its Frat-Boy Culture — and Grand Theft Auto, Too

With a new tone at the company and a change in creative direction, GTA VI will probably feel very different from its predecessor

In the summer of 2020, after a police officer killed George Floyd, Rockstar Games quietly shelved a mode of play it had planned to release for its Grand Theft Auto Online game.

Called Cops 'n' Crooks, the mode was a twist on the children's game where players organize into teams of good guys and bad guys, but seemed especially tone-deaf during the global reckoning over police violence. Senior executives at the company, concerned about how the narrative might be interpreted during a time of heightened skepticism and mistrust of American police, put it aside. They still haven't made plans to bring it back, according to people familiar with development.

This was one of several politically sensitive actions Rockstar, a division of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., has taken in recent years. The company removed transphobic jokes from the most recent console release of Grand Theft Auto V and significantly narrowed its gender pay gap. Rockstar's next game, Grand Theft Auto VI, will include a playable female protagonist for the first time, according to people familiar with the game. The woman, who is Latina, will be one of a pair of leading characters in a story influenced by the bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde, the people said. Developers are also being cautious not to "punch down" by making jokes about marginalized groups, the people said, in contrast to previous games.

Can a kinder, gentler Rockstar still produce the chart-topping caliber of game the studio has become known for? Some employees aren't sure. Morale across the company is higher than it's ever been, according to many staffers. But the development of Grand Theft Auto VI has been slower than impatient fans and even longtime employees have expected.

Much of that has to do with the pandemic, but the delay is also due to some of the changes that the company implemented in an effort to improve working conditions, such as a restructuring of the design department and a pledge to keep overtime under control. Some workers say they're still trying to figure out how to make games at this new iteration of Rockstar and wonder even what a Grand Theft Auto game looks like in today's environment. Besides, several Rockstar employees pointed out that you can't really satirize today's America — it's already a satire of itself.

Between the company's new mandate and the 2019 departure of Dan Houser, who led creative direction on many previous Rockstar games, all signs suggest Grand Theft Auto VI will feel very different than its predecessor.

Sticking to that pledge has already prompted changes to the game. Original plans for the title, which is code-named Project Americas, were for it to be more vast than any Grand Theft Auto game to date. Early designs called for the inclusion of territories modeled after large swaths of North and South America, according to people familiar with the plans. But the company reeled in those ambitions and cut the main map down to a fictional version of Miami and its surrounding areas.

Rockstar's plan is now to continually update the game over time, adding new missions and cities on a regular basis, which the leadership hopes will lead to less crunch during the game's final months. Still, the game's world remains large, with more interior locations than previous Grand Theft Auto games, impacting the timeline.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
as long at its stil mainly dumb fun and keeps the best soundtrack curation in the industry do whatever

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
This frat culture eludes me. I'm a bigger nerd than those guys and I don't understand why they can't treat women with respect. The thought process is alien to me.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It nice to see a story about a company improving in these ways. Seems all too rare still.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Shit, this is the kinda thing you don't read every day when it comes to the games industry. Very glad to see this movement happening.

Really hope to see more studios follow suit -- this is what you should do when employees complain about the culture.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Naughty Dog is improving conditions for their workers and Rockstar as well.

Let's hope BioWare and CDPR are next-

Thanks jschreier for your work, always appreciate it.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Was this thread just merged with another? All in a sudden I couldn't post so I ended losing the post...

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Thats good to hear! Actually that raises my interest in Rockstar and the next GTA alot. I don't think I could have had fun with another GTA 5-style game but this makes me cautiiously optimistic about the next one.

Oct 28, 2017
Bare minimum for a company that has the money to burn it all down, start over, and be a shining example and leader to the rest of the industry.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding GTA VI in particular (apart from the duo protagonists with a latina lady):

Sticking to that pledge has already prompted changes to the game. Original plans for the title, which is code-named Project Americas, were for it to be more vast than any Grand Theft Auto game to date. Early designs called for the inclusion of territories modeled after large swaths of North and South America, according to people familiar with the plans. But the company reeled in those ambitions and cut the main map down to a fictional version of Miami and its surrounding areas.

Rockstar's plan is now to continually update the game over time, adding new missions and cities on a regular basis, which the leadership hopes will lead to less crunch during the game's final months. Still, the game's world remains large, with more interior locations than previous Grand Theft Auto games, impacting the timeline.

Sounds very live service like, even in its single player mode. Similar to what Halo Infinite (and like Raigor says below me, like the rumored AC Infinity) proposed itself I suppose.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Expect ND levels of hate to be spewed towards them for trying to be "woke" from that certain section of the gaming community.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Good. Change is possible. 4 years seems relatively quick (maybe quick isn't the right word) for a transition of that size

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Am I hearing this right? Can big companies really change their culture successfully? Well would would you look at that.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Great to hear they are still doing good on addressing their issues, hopefully a end of their crunch for good.

Vice City with a female protagonist and just 2 protagonist is hype.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Kind of refreshing to hear about a company that actually recognized the problems and took steps to fundamentally fix the issue, rather than simply try to combat the PR nightmare.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Do not read the comments about the female protagonist.

Just read Jason's tweets and the Bloomberg piece to have a happier day.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Too many times have we seen companies claimed to have "cleaned house" and got rid of toxic work culture. Here's hoping R* actually stuck the landing on this and we don't hear a "well actually..." from burnt out workers after the release of GTA6.

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022
I'm glad that Rockstar is taking steps in cleaning up some of the messiness it has but I wonder though, why did it seem like the transphobic stuff in GTA V or all the misogynistic stuff was maybe a bit overlooked in online discussions in the 2010s, until just recently?

Oct 28, 2017
As always, they can take as long as they like as long as things are really changing. I want those in the gaming industry to have happier lives.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication
Both GTA Threads will be open as there's enough news here worth two separate threads and the contents they focus on

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Freaking awesome! Glad they've turned around the toxicity into inclusivity.

Now if they can keep that positive momentum to create a game that doesn't devolve exclusively into a GTAO springboard, keeping all the content gated from single player mode, that will be an improvement on the consumer side.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Do not read the comments about the female protagonist.

Just read Jason's tweets and the Bloomberg piece to have a happier day.

I assume this is about the asshats coming out of the woodwork talking about the FemMC being a change to appease the woke mob or some shit

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding GTA VI in particular (apart from the duo protagonists with a latina lady):

Sounds very live service like, even in its single player mode. Similar to what Halo Infinite (and like Raigor says below me, like the rumored AC Infinity) proposed itself I suppose.
Pretty sure that's just referring to the games current development plans to release. Though I'm not expecting any post launch single player stuff, as that would all go into GTA Online 2.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
All sounds good to me but I await the backlash aand all the YouTube shit I will need to ignore.