• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You people do realize that real, live people work for those insurance companies? I'm one of them. Hundreds of thousands, if not more than a million do. Your opinions basically boil down to "Fuck those people trying to make a living."

The increased prosperity from universal healthcare will open up new jobs. You'd also see folks leave the labor market, as they'd no longer need to work for health insurance and could retire. Also, you'd need new federal healthcare jobs.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The increased prosperity from universal healthcare will open up new jobs. You'd also see folks leave the labor market, as they'd no longer need to work for health insurance and could retire. Also, you'd need new federal healthcare jobs.
Well given the size of the industry, any good health care reform will inevitably cause a recession given how bloated and inefficient the USA system is.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not making a living off of people suffering. I'm in the dental insurance business, but way to lump everyone together. Guess all those dental cleanings are bankrupting America. Never knew that made me evil. Get some fucking perspective please. My team focuses on data management, not killing people.[/QUOTE]
EDIT: somehow it keeps putting my words into the quote. Edit 2: I've escaped! What I meant to say was: As if data won't need to be managed in a new system.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well given the size of the industry, any good health care reform will inevitably cause a recession given how bloated and inefficient the USA system is.

I'd argue that socialized medicine would cause a huge expansion because of the increased efficiency and people having a lot more money at the lower income levels, creating a monetary velocity boom. You'd also have rich folks spending to avoid wealth taxes hopefully, which would also do a short-term economic jolt.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not making a living off of people suffering. I'm in the dental insurance business, but way to lump everyone together. Guess all those dental cleanings are bankrupting America. Never knew that made me evil. Get some fucking perspective please. My team focuses on data management, not killing people.
People are dying of easily prevented/treated diseases dude you'll be fine

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
So wait, UnitedHealthcare's stock was surging after stranding hundreds of thousands of Iowans whose Medicaid they had managed until they decided to peace out abruptly last week? Glad that Medicare-for-all is building steam.

dextran

Banned
Feb 20, 2018
People with private health insurance should look at home much their employer pays their insurance company every month and consider how much more they would make if that went into their pay check instead.

Lose your job and go on cobra and you'll find out real quick. It was 2300 a month for me.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sounds like a plan. Could also go after lobbying in general. I wish Labour had done that when in power, take the money out of politics by banning large donations.

That would go along with it yes. Money in politics is the biggest scandal in the western world because it influences pretty much anything you can think of and dictates the policy of entire countries both in terms of their domestic policy and foreign policy...

I dont need to tell you so cause you seem like you get it, but of course the USA's wars are very profitable to weapons manufactuer dealers such as Boeing and Lockheed martin, and of course our 'allies' in states like israel and Saudi arabia buy up tons of those, thus our condemnation of their human rights abuses pretty much go on deaf ears

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You people do realize that real, live people work for those insurance companies? I'm one of them. Hundreds of thousands, if not more than a million do. Your opinions basically boil down to "Fuck those people trying to make a living."

You work for an industry that preys upon the weak and poor. I lost my father due to the US healthcare system. You should find a better job that doesn't take advantage of others.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I work for one of these companies but I specifically work in the Medicare segment. My understanding is that if the government were to pivot to Medicare-for-all these companies could still provide insurance through their Medicare plans where they would squeeze out pennies in revenue compared to all the money they screw people out of today. That is a nightmare scenario for them.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Medicare for all works out because hospitals are the only place that doesn't have to get paid for doing work. They only make 8 or 9 cents on the dollar when reimbursed by Medicare.

Imagine a bus full of people going to a car dealership. All passengers have varying degrees of money; some no money at all, with very few able to buy a car outright. Well, if it was a hospital, they'd have to sell cars to everyone at the cost of the hospital. So they constantly lose money and it affects staffing and level of care.

Let's take it a step further and talk about the hospitals themselves. They're letting go of people left and right, including my own. We've let go over 350 people in one year. 150 people let go the year before. They cut hours. They cut over time. And they can't afford to give our nurses a raise so they're all leaving.

It's insane. And these hospitals are all run by white republicans, so they've done nothing but try to protect themselves.

I work as a System Admin, IT at a hospital. I don't think I'll work in the medical industry ever again.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please just crash. Privatized healthcare is one of the worst thing that ever happened to the United States.
Yup. Single payer through the government. Private insurance should exist for supplemental and elective coverage only. Profit should not be a factor in determining health coverage ever. Fuck anyone who thinks so.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Many easily could transition to governement jobs in the medicaid/medicare offices since those departments would need a huge increase of support when expanding my 100s of millions of enrollees.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But it's still less than the number of people who either don't have access to adequate health care or can't afford it, right?

Yeah, and there's another senator who's name I can't remember with a bill which is even more comprehensive in what it covers. But they'll never get passed as is.

The last time the Democrats controlled all three branches of government, the best the could do was pass a bastardized form of the Republican version of healthcare reform. And that was only concocted in opposition to Ted Kennedy's universal care plan. So, it's really unlikely the Democrats, especially under current leadership and the influence of lobbyists, monied interests, etc.,, would suddenly go all out and pass one of the most progressive forms of medicare for all. And of course, that's only if they ever retake the senate and presidency.
They did not have 60 votes to break a fillabuster which Bitch McConnell basically said he would use at every chance to stop Obama. Not like they could have done M4A/SP.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dental insurance markets exist in virtually every country on earth.

Dental Insurance companies are no where near the level of evil of health insurance companies. The worst I see are those that bought into state's medicaid programs and try to space out treatment plans knowing those people on those plans may not be compliant or have transportation issues. Example, standard procedures for a root canal include getting it crowned. We do the RC, the crown prep, and place a temp crown the same day. The discount private medicaid plan ( only one in my state does this), says we cannot do the crown prep the same day. So now, a two app procedure turns into three. Providers are not pain on crowns until they are delivered. Many do not show for a third visit anymore due to transportation.

This would be common practice among health insurance companies. This is one company out of over 100 that provide dental in Michigan. Most offer tons of coverage with decent yearly caps for very little cost. No one is going bankrupt over dental costs in comparison to what we see in the health insurance market. SO this is like an apples to corrigated cardboard comparison.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Many easily could transition to governement jobs in the medicaid/medicare offices since those departments would need a huge increase of support when expanding my 100s of millions of enrollees.

Not that easy. Tons of other jobs are tied into healthcare not specifically directly with a private insurance companies that would be disrupted. It would be a ripple effect that could be disastrous since this job sector is massive. And all these people going out of work and not paying into the system isn't going to kick things off well on how this will be funded.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that easy. Tons of other jobs are tied into healthcare not specifically directly with a private insurance companies that would be disrupted. It would be a ripple effect that could be disastrous since this job sector is massive. And all these people going out of work and not paying into the system isn't going to kick things off well on how this will be funded.
I understand that but it needs to happen. And peope will transition to new jobs/fields or be absorbed into government sector. Just becasue it is is complicated and may cause issues is no reason not to pursue it.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Well the government is going to need a lot of people like you. And you'll get a delicious pension for moving over.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

i mean, sorry you work for an awful industry that's designed to prey upon sick people and treat/exploit them as worst as possible for the biggest profit?

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI

My condolences on working for a shitty, predatory industry that shouldn't exist in a just society. Must be tough.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Eliminating private insurance will put some people out of work, sure, but the single payer system will need management and employees too. I think the trade off is definitely worth it all things considered.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
People don't have much sympathy when things like Coal industry jobs die out, why should it really be different here? I think I know why... Hypocrisy is real AF.

lol this place has spent years decrying policies beneficial to the working class as coddling racists, but we must now think of the workers in a system built to administer debt peonage for cancer patients.

If this were any kind of morally contentious blue collar job, let's say in fossil fuel extraction, the go to response here would be "give them a tax credit for a community college STEM course, if they don't retrain fuck 'em"

Exactly. Class-based privilege pretty explicitly rears it ugly head at times here.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

hey, at least you'll still have healthcare when you get booted from your job under M4A

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Will there be immediate harm from massively downsizing a large industry? Yes.

But the benefits of the transition will affect far more people over a far longer period of time.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I honestly can't find sympathy for lost jobs of a system that puts millions upon millions of poor and sick people in debt for the rest of their lives. Things change, people lose jobs, we all adapt, we find new jobs and new holes to fill in the new system. It sucks people will lose their jobs but come on, am I suppose to not want change? People are gonna lose jobs regardless. It's either lose jobs and take care of millions for generations to come, or... not.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I also work for the health insurance industry and if m4all happens I'm fairly confident I can get a job with my experience in the same field. And even if I can't find one right away, if I get sick I don't have to worry about thousands in bills because for some fascinating reason every time something major has happened to me has been when I'm between jobs waiting for my benefits to begin. And even when there is insurance coverage, when my bf had his detached retina and surgeries it wiped our house savings out and we had to move back into our parent's homes for several years to pay them all off. Years later he still has to spend hundreds a month on glaucoma medication. So yeah, the industry can fuck off and I'll be at the front of the line supporting it even though my job would be directly affected.

And in my job on a day to day basis I get to see how people get screwed over by it or fail to understand their benefits and screw themselves.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
If they had only thought about how to give access/cover everyone, instead of fighting reasonable legislation, they would not find themselves in this pickle.

Yep. There is no question that for M4A to work the healthcare industry (insurance, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and most business associated with it) will be hurting and lots of people will lose their high paying jobs but they made their own bed.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not making a living off of people suffering. I'm in the dental insurance business, but way to lump everyone together. Guess all those dental cleanings are bankrupting America. Never knew that made me evil. Get some fucking perspective please. My team focuses on data management, not killing people.

My family dealt with bullshit stuff with dental insurance because they didn't want to pay out what they needed, so guess what they did? Simply went to Mexico to get it done cheaper.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"fears" that people will be able to live without fear of financial ruin and untreated illness

fuck. off.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It'll definitely hurt thousands of people, but a government run healthcare system would need people to be able to process millions of people who would suddenly be receiving tax-funded healthcare and also handle the day-to-day administrative work. Every state and major city would have new officers for this exact work. And private healthcare companies won't suddenly disappear. They will still be needed for other aspects of healthcare.

You work for an industry that is built to rob and bankrupt American people in its current form. Depending on what you do, those skills transfer over into car/home/life insurance. Perhaps look for jobs there if you are worried about the fate of private health insurance companies.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No offense. But this is the equivalent to saying that we shouldn't simplify the tax code because there's a lot of people out there with jobs related to taxes. You can't stop progress because there's people that benefit from something that is largely negative.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Even if someone like Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren became president, advocates for Medicare for All, I feel like it has a hard time becoming law... enough so that it seems weird that the market would react nearly 2 full years before a very progressive candidate would even be sworn in ... even if they did win.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Thread derailment through antagonizing other members; prior related infractions
We are allowed to just make up things about other members now?
We are allowed to erase the fact that a member has said Omar is Tulsi 2.0 and has been subsequently hard to Omar ever since, that the member has justified the death of millions of North Koreans, that the member always points out to countries with private healthcare on topics about single payer, that the member has said that Bernie is economically illiterate, that the member believes Economics is a hard science and that people's should read Economics books because of this now? We are allowed to erase this now?

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are allowed to erase the fact that a member has said Omar is Tulsi 2.0, that the member always points out to countries with private healthcare on topics about single payer, that the member has said that Bernie is economically illiterate, that the member believes Economics is a hard science and that people's should read Economics books because of this now? We are allowed to to erase this now?
Where is he "socially conservative"? Show your proof of him having conservative social views such as abortion, gay marriage, women's rights, lgbtq rights, and so on since you threw out this this inflammatory accusation. Because it isn't true.

Oct 30, 2017
Good.

I just hope CMS can find employment opportunities for people in the industry. I still imagine they will need additional claims processors, forecasters, price negotiators, researchers, fraud examiners, etc.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
We are allowed to erase the fact that a member has said Omar is Tulsi 2.0 and has been subsequently hard to Omar ever since, that the member always points out to countries with private healthcare on topics about single payer, that the member has said that Bernie is economically illiterate, that the member believes Economics is a hard science and that people's should read Economics books because of this now? We are allowed to to erase this now?

Believing in Economics makes you a conservative now? What?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Good

Private Insurance creates a fucked up conflict of interest between pitting profits against public health and well being

Its not a good combination