• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Are you joking? People were lining up to defend and advocate for him when it seemed like he, a regressive Republican, could be the centrist candidate for the Dems. These actions, in relation to his means, are facile and performative, with the express purpose of manufacturing consent and coercion to his aims and politics over the long term. He wants something and it just so happens that Dems are useful to his class in the moment. So long as you are useful to him he will keep bribing you for that purpose. That is as far as it goes. He has no longer term loyalty to the things you (presumably) believe in.

You can say 'no one is forgiving him! but the fact is, the longer you or anyone goes with selectively singing his praises —due in large part to actions like this— above all else, the more it minimizes the very real harm he has done and stands to do through your own complicity.
read the post you quoted

I literallly never said any of that

every other post i've made in this thread is agreeing with you

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
People in here acting like billionaires donate to political groups out of the goodness of their hearts.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
We're never getting a wealth tax or overturning Citizens United, huh?

Bloomberg can burn in hell, and spending chump change in comparison to all the wealth he's hoarding that he made off the backs of his employees isn't impressive.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Racist Generalizations; Prior Severe Ban for Transphobic Rhetoric
The only answer I can fathom here is that he thinks this will help Biden win (not Bernie) and maintain the status quo

MickeyShaban

User requested temporary ban
Nov 11, 2019
I can set my personal feelings about his run aside to say that this is good news. Whatever it takes to get Cheeto Benito out

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Now that he knows he can't win, he's either buying influence or rehabbing his brand. As long as it helps voters, I'm ok with either since he won't be in the White House.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder the Bloomberg's spending in 2018 was super influential in Democrats winning the house. He spent huge in 24 House races, and Democrats won 21 of them, almost all of which in swing districts and many that went for Trump in 2016.

www.nytimes.com

How Michael Bloomberg Used His Money to Aid Democratic Victories in the House (Published 2018)

Democrats backed by Mr. Bloomberg’s organization won 21 of 24 House races, making him among the most influential donors of the election cycle.

THere's a strong likelihood that Democrats either don't win the House in 2018 without his spending, or they win on a very very slim majority.

There is a large group of people on this forum that would rather have Donald Trump as a president, and a Republican controlled House, Senate, and supreme court than *gasp* someone in the billionaire class spends his own money against Republicans. Is there a catch? Of course, there always is. But the alternative to Trump and Republican Congress and Supreme Court isn't Bernie Sanders. If every House candidate who ran in a Trump or purple district were Bernie Sanders, Republicans would have expanded their majority in the House and rubber stamped the entire Republican agenda. Instead, Donald Trump has not signed any meaningful conservative policy in 2 years, he's been impeached, and he's poised to lose the 2020 presidential race.

Would he be doing this if Bernie had won Super Tuesday?

He said he would support whoever the Democratic nominee was throughout this whole election. The response prior to Super Tuesday was "But he's lying!" and now the response after Super Tuesday is "He's only doing it to help the establishment!"

Last edited:

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Bloombergs biggest irony of them all is that he does not have to be President or in any government position of power to do any of the policies or plans he proposed for the Black Community. He's rich as fuck, he can put all that shit together at anytime if it was truly coming from good intentions..

But nah let's give him power. Let's applaud his efforts even tho anyone with a brain can see how this entire move was a self preservation act because Biden floundered early on and Bernie started looking like he could potentially get the nom.

You all bitch moan whine about billionaires but turn right around and kiss ass when it's on your side. No such things as allies.

Is helping more black people vote a good thing? Sure.

But take a second to examine the language y'all are using. Ally? Morally grey? For Bloomberg?

Y'all some fools forreal

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who said it, Clay Davis or The Democratic Party:

"You think I have time to ask a man why he giving me money? Or where he gets his money from? I'll take any motherfucker's money if he givin' it away!"

Jun 10, 2018
Reminder the Bloomberg's spending in 2018 was super influential in Democrats winning the house. He spent huge in 24 House races, and Democrats won 21 of them, almost all of which in swing districts and many that went for Trump in 2016.

www.nytimes.com

How Michael Bloomberg Used His Money to Aid Democratic Victories in the House (Published 2018)

Democrats backed by Mr. Bloomberg’s organization won 21 of 24 House races, making him among the most influential donors of the election cycle.

THere's a strong likelihood that Democrats either don't win the House in 2018 without his spending, or they win on a very very slim majority.

There is a large group of people on this forum that would rather have Donald Trump as a president, and a Republican controlled House, Senate, and supreme court than *gasp* someone in the billionaire class spends his own money against Republicans. Is there a catch? Of course, there always is. But the alternative to Trump and Republican Congress and Supreme Court isn't Bernie Sanders. If every House candidate who ran in a Trump or purple district were Bernie Sanders, Republicans would have expanded their majority in the House and rubber stamped the entire Republican agenda. Instead, Donald Trump has not signed any meaningful conservative policy in 2 years, he's been impeached, and he's poised to lose the 2020 presidential race.

He said he would support whoever the Democratic nominee was throughout this whole election. The response prior to Super Tuesday was "But he's lying!" and now the response after Super Tuesday is "He's only doing it to help the establishment!"
This thought is separate from users like myself who find issue with using the term "morally gray" to describe fucking Bloomberg.

Hell no. What I will not let go by is a poster insinuating Bloomberg's recent political ploys benefitting the removal of Trump somehow downplays the heinous shit he enacted and STILL believes in. He is the furthest thing from "morally gray", and to say such is exemplary of antipathy towards the people his rhetoric targets.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as Bloomberg is a scummy person, he's a very good ally to have.

He's a morally gray character, what Republicans used to be and not these comic book villains they are now.

I see posts like this and I wonder if the poster is living in the same world that I am.

George W. Bush was morally gray? Ronald Reagan was morally gray? Really?

Bloomberg isn't morally gray. He's evil, full stop.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
was this his whole plan along to help Biden make his way towards the nom and now he's going to make sure he helps see him through to the end goal?

source.gif

Bloomberg is basically Revolver Ocelot

CO7x8Jd.gif

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg shaking that dogs mouth upset White Liberals more than his past record as mayor. #allies

I mean, white folks have a long track record of caring about animals more than they care about us. Remember that dentist who shot a lion? He got death threats. Meanwhile innocent black men and women get executed by cops every week and white America doesn't give two fucks.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic

He should have done from the start instead of pissing 500 million dollars away on a vanity campaign. Now drop 34 million on hispanics and asians in TX, AZ and California next, Bloombito. Daddy needs a new pair of senators from Colorado and Arizona.

Edit: LMAO @ Bloomberg being Ocelot. I'm cracking up lol.

May 30, 2018
i would never accept a favour from someone like Michael Bloomberg

he is the last person who would be throwing money around just to spite trump. he will want influence in the future of the democratic party

he's a republican folks

Yeah lol you'd have to be extremely gullible to think it's because he hates Trump

He just wants much more influence politically.

Oct 31, 2017
Is it really unfathomable for you that Bloomberg simply wants Democrats to beat Trump? It's consistent with everything he's said and done over the last 3-4 years.

He spent plenty of money on Republicans the last 3 - 4 years, never mind 10 or 20. He donated to Republicans in 2018 as well, including swing districts and some truly awful types like Pete King.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg probably loses more potential money from Trump being in office than any hypothetical wealth tax. Also, he viscerally hates Trump.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This thought is separate from users like myself who find issue with using the term "morally gray" to describe fucking Bloomberg.

Hell no. What I will not let go by is a poster insinuating Bloomberg's recent political ploys benefitting the removal of Trump somehow downplays the heinous shit he enacted and STILL believes in. He is the furthest thing from "morally gray", and to say such is exemplary of antipathy towards the people his rhetoric targets.

I didn't refer to Bloomberg as "morally gray" at all, not in that post, not in any post in this thread or any other. I don't like Bloomberg. But I like his spending on Democratic races in 2018 and his spending towards banning guns. Sadly, he's done more for the gun control issue than any Democrat running for president. It's unfortunate that it has to come from a schmuck like Bloomberg, but it's an instance where I'm fine with his money because nobody else -- least of all Bernie Sanders -- is doing the work that Bloomberg and his money has done on that issue. He funds the single largest legislative political action committee against gun proliferation. I'm not going to throw that away just because he's a dirtbag in other areas, it's too important, it's too influential, and it's an area where the leading progressive in the Democratic race can't really be bothered. I wish Sanders did care more than lip service, but he doesn't, hunting in rural Vermont has historically been more important to him than my daughter with a target on her back at her Jewish daycare center. It's perverse, but the Democratic establishment has pulled Sanders to the correct direction, and I'm thankful for the establishment in doing that.

Beyond gun control, sadly, coordinated spending is really important in politics. It'd be great if it wasn't, but given the laws today that permit it, Democrats need coordinated spending to win races.

Conservatives owned down ballot races for 10+ years, prior to 2018 (and really, 2018 was a huge win for D's in the House, but not all down the ballot). "Project RedMap," the Koch Bros spending, and dozens of other wealthy, influential, calculating people. It's why Republicans won over 1,000 state legislative seats from 2008 to 2016. It's why Conservatives are literally drawing the congressional maps in a dozen more states than liberals are. Progressives have comparatively none of that. No coordination, no spending, no calculation. The progressive response to ad spending on facebook is "lol okay boomer who uses facebook?" Meanwhile, billionaire GOP strategist groups just clean up.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
He spent plenty of money on Republicans the last 3 - 4 years, never mind 10 or 20. He donated to Republicans in 2018 as well, including swing districts and some truly awful types like Pete King.

Did Bloomberg's PAC donate to Republicans in 2018?

The Federal Election Committee reports that Bloomberg's 2018 PAC donated to 24 races, all favoring Democrats, and the Democratic candidates he donated to won 21 of them. 12 of those races were considered toss-ups in Republican counties:

www.nytimes.com

In 2018, Bloomberg's PAC donation seems to be entirely to Democratic candidates.

Another NYT article covers his spending on Republican campaigns prior to 2018, which at least recently seems primarily focused against any candidates who oppose background check bills, including a Democratic senator in Pennsylvania who opposed background checks:

www.nytimes.com

Michael Bloomberg Has Used His Fortune to Help Republicans, Too (Published 2019)

A supporter of progressive priorities like gun control and climate change, Mr. Bloomberg has also given millions to Republicans he felt shared his goals, irritating some Democrats.

In an interview with The New York Times in 2013, Mr. Bloomberg explained his logic, saying that if Democrats could not get senators on board with something as popular with the public as background checks, they should pay a political price. "What I would suggest is that they have all of their members vote for things that the public wants," he said. "And if they don't do that, the voters should elect different senators who will listen to them.''

Though it may have worked against individual Democratic candidates, Mr. Bloomberg's tactic of punishing those who did not support gun control created a new dynamic in the Democratic Party. The National Rifle Association had long employed the same tactics, and Mr. Bloomberg and his aides believed they needed to create the same fear of retribution on their side.

Some Democrats said this was a laudable goal. "Don't get me wrong, I do not support the idea of the Bloomberg candidacy," said Brian Fallon, a former aide to Senator Chuck Schumer now running Demand Justice, a group that works to counter conservative influence in the federal courts. "But as someone who is now working on issue advocacy, I can sort of appreciate the approach he took to try to shame people into prioritizing an issue that was viewed for a long time as something Democrats should soft pedal for political reasons."

He's basically taking an anti-NRA position here, self-funding an NRA-like effort but for gun control, to pull pro-Gun democrats and independents to support common sense gun reform, similar to how the NRA has pushed the GOP far outside of the mainstream on gun rights.

But, like I've said through this, I don't like Mike Bloomberg, didn't support him for the Democratic nominee, I don't have any interest in a non-Democrat being the Democratic nominee. But I'm happy for his spending on gun control, happy for his spending on Democratic races in 2018, happy for his spending in the Virginia special election, happy for his spending in 2020 against Trump and the GOP. Maybe it's all petty personal battles for Bloomberg, I don't care, I'm comfortable fulfilling his vanity if it means Donald Trump is defeated and will go along with whatever it takes this year. It doesn't change my perception of Bloomberg as a person, either.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Always interesting to see how things are perceived when your side stands to gain something. If this was a Koch brother or Sheldon trying give money for a republican cause I'm sure there would be a bit more skepticism about wants wanted in return.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Always interesting to see how things are perceived when your side stands to gain something. If this was a Koch brother or Sheldon trying give money for a republican cause I'm sure there would be a bit more skepticism about wants wanted in return.

I think he honestly hates Trump and wants him out of office. Regardless, one can still be skeptical of him and happy that he's at least helping, unlike Hillary who is just taking shots at people from the sidelines.

Oct 31, 2017
Did Bloomberg's PAC donate to Republicans in 2018?

www.ny1.com

Bloomberg Is a Democrat With a History of Donating to Republicans

His team has trumpeted his role in flipping the House.

"Last year, there were seven swing districts in New York and Bloomberg supported Republicans in two of them," Democratic political consultant Monica Klein said.

Klein was a spokeswoman for Democrat Liuba Grechen Shirley, who waged a spirited challenge against Long Island Congressman Pete King, a longtime Bloomberg ally.

"Pete King…has always been a standup guy," Bloomberg said in a 2011 news conference at City Hall.

Bloomberg backed King, hosting a fundraiser for him. King won by six points.

Bloomberg also backed another longtime Republican ally, Staten Island Congressman Dan Donovan, in his unsuccessful re-election bid against Democrat Max Rose.

Pennsylvania Sen. Pat Toomey
Late-Arizona Sen. John McCain
Maine Sen. Susan Collins
Former Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk
Former Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch, among others.

"Now he wants to come in and claim that he's this Democratic savior, but he was actually backing Republicans," Klein said. "He also did that when he was mayor."

2018 donations continued to Republicans, and his donations to people like Toomey helped get us two conservative SCOTUS justices.

It's also a weird cut-off? He's donated to Republicans for decades and hosted Bush II's 2004 convention, a president who gave us Alito and Roberts! Trying to put his donations in a small vacuum of two years doesn't even work, never mind his entire life's worth of donations.

Oct 31, 2017
I think Trump would have had a field day with him of large spending just can't out of nowhere. This is cover. There's no way he reasonably believed he had a shot at winning. This is a reasonable explanation. Do you have a better one?

He spent the money because he thought Biden was a weak front-runner, which we know through political reporting is why he waited so long to run. He had the money to spend and he did.

www.theatlantic.com

Why Michael Bloomberg Spent Half a Billion Dollars to Be Humiliated

The former mayor of New York spent $500 million in 16 weeks, then dropped out less than 12 hours after polls closed on the first day he was on the ballot.

Bloomberg started yesterday morning in Little Havana, Miami, annoyed. He knew all the questions would be about whether he'd drop out, and he's never been a man who takes criticism well. Biden hadn't changed, nor had Bloomberg's assessment of Biden as weak and unelectable. But Biden didn't look weak, and hard-core Democrats really wanted to believe that he wasn't.

It's the simplest and truest explanation.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

Bloomberg sees this as more votes for Joe Biden in the general, yes. That's 100% of the reason he's doing it.

But the reason the comparison to the Koch's doesn't fly is this is, regardless of motive, potentially important to enfranchise a ton of people. It's like giving to charity for the tax write off or to say you give to charity. Who gives a fuck why if it's helping?

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it really unfathomable for you that Bloomberg simply wants Democrats to beat Trump? It's consistent with everything he's said and done over the last 3-4 years.
I find it hard to believe that Bloomberg would want to support black people. If this is just a way to defeat Trump then that makes more sense to me. But you know this is meant to support Biden, not Bernie, and certainly not black people.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Can't say anything bad about this. Good on him. Some of the biggest issue with American democracy seems to be voter disengagement from the people who need to vote the most for their own self interest.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to believe that Bloomberg would want to support black people. If this is just a way to defeat Trump then that makes more sense to me. But you know this is meant to support Biden, not Bernie, and certainly not black people.

I mean, regardless of Bloomberg's intent, this is 17 million dollars to a black founded, black run political group whose mission is to elect black leaders and register black voters in swing states. That is literally supporting black people.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how much better off America would be if every White person pledged to help Black people once they reach 75?

collige

Oct 31, 2017

www.nytimes.com

This is true, but also counter reminder that he was using his money to prop up Republicans as recently as 2016:
www.nytimes.com

Michael Bloomberg Has Used His Fortune to Help Republicans, Too (Published 2019)

A supporter of progressive priorities like gun control and climate change, Mr. Bloomberg has also given millions to Republicans he felt shared his goals, irritating some Democrats.

I fully believe he's doing this entirely out of spite for Trump individually.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
regardless of his moral failings, his money will help, just like it did in 2018, which helped seal a big majority in the house.

he really hates trump.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Bloomberg sees this as more votes for Joe Biden in the general, yes. That's 100% of the reason he's doing it.

But the reason the comparison to the Koch's doesn't fly is this is, regardless of motive, potentially important to enfranchise a ton of people. It's like giving to charity for the tax write off or to say you give to charity. Who gives a fuck why if it's helping?

So you don't think he is doing it to have a seat at the table when policy decisions are being made that will effect his bottom line ? IMO that's exactly why he is doing it.

Last edited: