• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
0.00303030303 sure buys a lot of loyalty.

If Bloomberg wanted, he have some hired to personally ensure each and every US citizen was personally prepped, informed, picked up, driven to their polling station, and dropped off again.

I guess it's cheaper to be performative, he gets the ROI for what he really cares about, his ego, as well as ensuring the Democrats increasing reliance of his class.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
the michael bloomberg campaign used prison labour

he's a racist transphobe with connections to some heinous criminal stuff

why is this just being ignored

biden shouldn't want his help

at the very least those who condemned bernie for accepting Joe Rogan's endorsement ought condemn this as well

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell didn't he just use his $200 million for his campaign on this shit, especially when he knew he had no chance?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If all it takes is Bloomberg donating the change he found inside his couch to have all of you forgive and overlook a career of reprehensible evilness and personal vileness then I don't know what to say other than fucking christ is it depressing to see.

Have higher standards. You're literally saying it's OK that a lifelong Republican buys his way into your party.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone actually wanting to beat Trump and not burn the house down, good news!

I'm simply standing up for my principles by contributing to a situation that undermines everyone else's and creates a scenario directly counter to the policies I recently claimed to support!

If all it takes is Bloomberg donating the change he found inside his couch to have all of you forgive and overlook a career of reprehensible evilness and personal vileness then I don't know what to say other than fucking christ is it depressing to see.

Have higher standards. You're literally saying it's OK that a lifelong Republican buys his way into your party.

who's forgiving him and overlooking his lifetime of trash? I can think this action is good without marrying him and he's not running for anything so I don't have to vote for him? Why's everything gotta be 100% one thing or the other?

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
what if trump runs adds alleging that bloomberg is puppetmastering the dems and they gain traction and undermine biden's credibility?

if politics was just a money game bloomberg wouldn't have gone absolutely nowhere

people are really not thinking this through and it's kind of worrying

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
what if trump runs adds alleging that bloomberg is puppetmastering the dems and they gain traction and undermine biden's credibility?

if politics was just a money game bloomberg wouldn't have gone absolutely nowhere

people are really not thinking this through and it's kind of worrying
Wont he do this no matter what? or something similar? or even more wacky?

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018

yep. liberals will talk with you all day about the excesses of the system and the root cause but will bend the knee quickly for short sighted reign of power. the how you win is just as important if not more so than just winning because it sets the political narrative where it needs to be.

as it is now, the wealthy being able to have their way with this country and democracy is fine...as long as it helps "our team".

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm simply standing up for my principles by contributing to a situation that undermines everyone else's and creates a scenario directly counter to the policies I recently claimed to support!

who's forgiving him and overlooking his lifetime of trash? I can think this action is good without marrying him and he's not running for anything so I don't have to vote for him? Why's everything gotta be 100% one thing or the other?
Because if someone is offering you money the first reason you should ask is "why is this person doing this" and the obvious answer is "to buy his way into the party through giving a pittance of the money he makes off interest every day". You should be more fucking cynical of a LITERAL REPUBLICAN BILLIONAIRE OLIGARCH trying to buy his way on to a presumed Joe Biden administration.

He could spend $4B and literally win the government so overwhelmingly that the dems could be able to fucking re-write the constitution. If these wealthy capitalists CARED about this electoral shit and actually "making a difference" they could EASILY DO THAT. He isn't, he's choosing to spend what was likely an agreed upon amount for a specific purpose in order to cater himself more internal influence.

Politics is about more than "running for office", politics is a zero sum game of power and influence, a battle over the limited capital of political strength and popular will. Bloomberg is buying his way up that political ladder because he has no other way to do so, he cannot ascend through elected office as he burned all those bridges years ago. You should all be more cynical of this lifelong republican monster literally buying his way into power in the party you profess to support. At best this is disheartening, at worst it's literally an attempted coup.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Because if someone is offering you money the first reason you should ask is "why is this person doing this" and the obvious answer is "to buy his way into the party through giving a pittance of the money he makes off interest every day". You should be more fucking cynical of a LITERAL REPUBLICAN BILLIONAIRE OLIGARCH trying to buy his way on to a presumed Joe Biden administration.

He could spend $4B and literally win the government so overwhelmingly that the dems could be able to fucking re-write the constitution. If these wealthy capitalists CARED about this electoral shit and actually "making a difference" they could EASILY DO THAT. He isn't, he's choosing to spend what was likely an agreed upon amount for a specific purpose in order to cater himself more internal influence.

Politics is about more than "running for office", politics is a zero sum game of power and influence, a battle over the limited capital of political strength and popular will. Bloomberg is buying his way up that political ladder because he has no other way to do so, he cannot ascend through elected office as he burned all those bridges years ago. You should all be more cynical of this lifelong republican monster literally buying his way into power in the party you profess to support. At best this is disheartening, at worst it's literally an attempted coup.
far more eloquent then i'm capable of at the moment

it's really shocking

Wont he do this no matter what? or something similar? or even more wacky?
and i'm saying those ads might work better if it they seem credible

i'm amazed more people aren't worried about thism not just from a left perspective but from a basic optics one

if biden has a chance in this election it's because people think he's not in bed with big money to the same extent as Hillary (plus benefiting form latent sexism) Ti welcome this seems like it's tempting fate

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
and i'm saying those adds might work better if it they seem credible

i'm amazed more people aren't worried about thism not just from a left perspective but from a basic optics one

if biden has a chance in this election it's because people think he's not in bed with big money to the same extent as Hillary (plus benefiting form latent sexism) Ti welcome this seems like it's tempting fate
I see what you are saying but how many registered voters are we talking about here? If its a lot I think I want it.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Are all you "he's buying his way into the Biden administration" conspiracy theorists reading this actual story? Biden isn't getting a dime of this money, this is going to a nonprofit called The Collective whose mission is to register black voters.

I get the anxiety and lack of trust of a man like Michael Bloomberg, but this is a solid and efficient use of his gross wealth that has a net positive impact. No one is excusing Bloomberg's past actions because of this.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Bloomberg, who got republicans in the senate two or three years ago, indirectly got Kavanaugh in the SC, used prison labor in his campaign, has been photographed with Epstein's right hand, and has denied any real responsibility to the harassment allegations against him is suddenly "morally grey" and "tolerable" because he throws some money around.

Not saying this individual action is bad or shouldn't happen - for all I know it could hell beat Trump - but some of the comments here come off as ignorant or naive.

I'm interested in the long term plans Bloomberg has with the Dem party.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Cool conspiracies .....

Read the article please.

Let him go blow his money getting more people out to vote. He isn't being handed any imaginary control over the party for this so simmer down.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man's worth something like 60 billion, spent 500m on ad dumps to fluff his ego, but only got 17m for the actual thing

good job good effort

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
This is honestly awesome. Despite the "price", or even past actions that may have had an opposite effect, this $17 million will have ripple effects that will help minorities extend their voices to politics for years. Fuck Bloomberg, but love the outcome.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Cool conspiracies .....

Read the article please.

Let him go blow his money getting more people out to vote. He isn't being handed any imaginary control over the party for this so simmer down.
why would the article talk about influence peddling? It's not really the kind of thing that goes in a press release.

how in reference to america can someone seriously say it's conspiratorial and not a reasonable concern to be worried about a billionaire trying to throw money around to cement disproportionate influence for their own agenda?

it's literally business as usual

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
why would the article talk about influence peddling? It's not really the kind of thing that goes in a press release.

how in reference to america can someone seriously say it's conspiratorial and not a reasonable concern to be worried about a billionaire trying to throw money around to cement disproportionate influence for their own agenda?

it's literally business as usual

How is donating to a nonprofit distinct from any presidential campaign maximizing his leverage on the candidates, the DNC, or voters? There is no mechanism for him to influence any specific agenda that isn't getting black voters registered, in this instance.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As much as Bloomberg is a scummy person, he's a very good ally to have.

He's a morally gray character, what Republicans used to be and not these comic book villains they are now.
Im all for money to help with voter registration but Bloomberg is just doing the right thing out of spite for Trump. He tracked Muslim New Yorkers and ramped up stop and frisk to disastrous levels. Let's not view this as anything other than a marriage of convenience.

edit: and as everyone else said, to buy influence

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
How is donating to a nonprofit distinct from any presidential campaign maximizing his leverage on the candidates, the DNC, or voters? There is no mechanism for him to influence any specific agenda that isn't getting black voters registered, in this instance.
okay but this isn't the extent of what he is doing

if he was just doing this and nothing else then it would be a different conversation

in the context of all his spending there's doesn't need to be a formal mechanism of influence for that amount of money to talk , it's a really naive take on politics to deny the possiblity

OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
man's worth something like 60 billion, spent 500m on ad dumps to fluff his ego, but only got 17m for the actual thing

good job good effort

He's gonna probably end up spending $200M+ by the time we get to November on ads and staff for the general election. This is literally just what he's spending on this specific initiative.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He's not running for anything. He's paying to get out the vote for an underserved group that he owes a personal debt to. If he runs for anything I'll vote against him and as long as he spends his money on good causes I'll be glad of that - and on bad causes I'll besmirch them.

If it's a "coup" you're going to have to point out of what- because if it's general political visibility or prominence in have some bad news for you.

this money is being spent on a good cause.

he's an awful person.

more than one thing can be true at once.

I'm not lauding him, I'm lauding the specific receipt.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
okay but this isn't the extent of what he is doing

if he was just doing this and nothing else then it would be a different conversation

in the context of all his spending there's doesn't need to be a formal mechanism of influence for that amount of money to talk , it's a really naive take on politics to deny the possiblity

Well sure. But this specific thing isn't that. Any good thing can also be in a wider context of quid pro quo, and I understand the skepticism.

$17M is nothing. "We don't want too many of them voting, just enough of them to beat Trump."

Their goal is 500k new black voters in swing states. That is pretty massive, considering.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He's not running for anything. He's paying to get out the vote for an underserved group that he owes a personal debt to. If he runs for anything I'll vote against him and as long as he spends his money on good causes I'll be glad of that - and on bad causes I'll besmirch them.

If it's a "coup" you're going to have to point out of what- because if it's general political visibility or prominence in have some bad news for you.

this money is being spent on a good cause.

he's an awful person.

more than one thing can be true at once.

I'm not lauding him, I'm lauding the specific receipt.
Did you literally not read anything I wrote.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Well sure. But this specific thing isn't that. Any good thing can also be in a wider context of quid pro quo, and I understand the skepticism.
would we get one without the other? I honestly don't know. That being said it's academic because we are getting the whole package.

all im trying to do is express a cyncial opinion about power to make people celebrating this think twice if they want to get on board

this isn't some own, i couldn't not vote for Biden even if i wanted to

mike bloomberg is not just a pos he's also a liability in the general and i think people ought not have to be "lefties" to be worried about his entry into national politics, even if it is behind the scenes

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
okay that's all im trying to do, express a cyncial opinion about power to make people celebrating this think twice if they want to get on board

this isn't some own, i couldn't not vote for Biden even if i wanted to

mike bloomberg is not just a pos he's also a liability in the general and i think people ought not have to be "lefties" to be worried about his entry into national politics, even if it is behind the scenes

His gross wealth and power going toward empowering black people intead of oppressing them is a change of pace I can get behind. I think that's all people are appreciating in this instance.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Imagine being mad that more disenfranchised people get to vote.
do you really feel like people have expressed anger? It seems to me like the dissent has been worry at what the cost might be.

Because the former is kind of a loaded comment, this guy is a bad actor and skepticism about motives is not being mad that good things might be happening

if that's the vibe you got then i'll apologize for my contribution but i stand by the skepticism

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Are you joking? People were lining up to defend and advocate for him when it seemed like he, a regressive Republican, could be the centrist candidate for the Dems. These actions, in relation to his means, are facile and performative, with the express purpose of manufacturing consent and coercion to his aims and politics over the long term. He wants something and it just so happens that Dems are useful to his class in the moment. So long as you are useful to him he will keep bribing you for that purpose. That is as far as it goes. He has no longer term loyalty to the things you (presumably) believe in.

You can say 'no one is forgiving him! but the fact is, the longer you or anyone goes with selectively singing his praises —due in large part to actions like this— above all else, the more it minimizes the very real harm he has done and stands to do through your own complicity.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Democrats always wanna take the high road while Republicans are perfectly fine getting their hands dirty. If you want to compete you have to meet them on their level. Sad reality of politics.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Bernie doesn't want his help, he'd rather lose than compromise on anything.
Good on him.
Fuck that withering black person hating ghoul.
I hate that man in the deepest part of my heart. Get fucked.
He does one good thing after spending the majority of his governing power arresting, beating, jailing minorities, and making homeless people suffer by making shelter harder to qualify for and moderates lap this shit up?

Good fucking God. 'Compromise' is quickly becoming my least favorite term.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Democrats always wanna take the high road while Republicans are perfectly fine getting their hands dirty. If you want to compete you have to meet them on their level. Sad reality of politics.
Yep.

Taking the high road gets you nowhere. They go low, we fucking meet them down there and kick their asses.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Yep.

Taking the high road gets you nowhere. They go low, we fucking meet them down there and kick their asses.

No. Because when you stoop to the level of Republicans the only accomplishment you get is a D winning instead of an R and more Democratic candidates answering to racist billionaire favors than the (white) voters.
Its just throwing us under the bus for a fucking win. Enough of this.