• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It does honestly sound like Nintendo doesn't get how big they are. Why take so long to open a store in goddamn Tokyo in the first place? It's so weird.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Alright real talk for all you marketing/logistic nerds.

If Nintendo was to open another store (in the US) what city should it be in?

For me the TX Triangle (the route between DFW-->San Antonio--->Houston--->DFW area would make sense but I know other cities probably would work better.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

For me the TX Triangle (the route between DFW-->San Antonio--->Houston--->DFW area would make sense but I know other cities probably would work better.
Indianapolis, because then it would be close to me. Chicago is acceptable too.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Not a logistics nerd, but if they have one on in New York, wouldn't it make some sense to have one somewhere in California so people on the western half of the country can go to the store without having to fly cross country to do it??

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Not a logistics nerd, but if they have one on in New York, wouldn't it make some sense to have one somewhere in California so people on the western half of the country can go to the store without having to fly cross country to do it??

Somewhere in CA definitely makes sense. Then that leaves just the middle of the country stuck. So yeah TX Triangle or maybe Chicago.

Nov 23, 2017
This reminds me that Sony used to have a flagship store in New York City at 550 Madison Ave. My favorite part was the massive PlayStation Lounge situated underground. It felt very much like the Sony equivalent to the Nintendo NY Store. There was a plentiful stock of PS3 and Vita games, a display showcasing every generation of PlayStation with their respective redesigns, and even a section in the back dedicated to a specific game. On one of my excursions into the city, it was modeled after Uncharted 3, decked out with crates as the seats in front of each television. I was back there again a few days after the Vita launched. There were kiosks propped up with the system and Sony MDR-XB500 headphones. The brief experience I had playing wipEout 2048 sold me on the game and pair of the headphones. The bass-heavy soundtrack was translated by an affordable set of headphones ($50!) so well that it created a new level of immersion I had been lacking with my brand new Vita. The last time I was able to shop around at the old location was in the later summer months of 2013. On the multiple televisions displayed behind the checkout counter, there was a continuous loop of Sony's E3 conference playing! The infamous "Used Games" slide was recognizable from any angle.

To my dismay, Sony sold the building during its restructuring earlier in the decade and moved to Sony Square NYC on 25 Madison Ave. I have not been to it, yet, but it does not seem to include PlayStation as significantly based on the photos.
Uhhhh i was there at the end of 2016, and it had plenty of PS stuff and PSVR demos and the like. Cant say about right now but i bet for next year and the PS5 theyll center it around that.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of things I don't get about Nintendo, but this one kind of makes sense to me. It feels like a strategy that prioritizes avoiding the possibility of overextending the company at all costs, and is probably part of the reason they've been able to weather some bad business/product decisions pretty well. Plus it's not like having huge lines out the door is a bad thing for Nintendo, exactly. Sure, they could be selling more merch, but it'll probably be a hotter attraction in return because of all the crowds. Better that than a cavernous half-empty store.

DuvJones

Oct 30, 2017
'ponders successors for the ageing Switch.'
What?
It would seem that Boomberg is sold into the idea that visual fidelity and the spec race is the only thing that matters in the console space.
That said, they are not wrong to call out the Switch on it's age but honestly hoping for a midlife-upgrade like the PS4-Pro is a fools errand.

There are a lot of things I don't get about Nintendo, but this one kind of makes sense to me. It feels like a strategy that prioritizes avoiding the possibility of overextending the company at all costs, and is probably part of the reason they've been able to weather some bad business/product decisions pretty well. Plus it's not like having huge lines out the door is a bad thing for Nintendo, exactly. Sure, they could be selling more merch, but it'll probably be a hotter attraction in return because of all the crowds. Better that than a cavernous half-empty store.
True but there is a balancing act that is being preformed here. While you are right, the opposite extreme is not what any retail business wants, this is bad depending on how long is persists... If it is no longer than a few days, then fine. Anything that is longer than a week would likely make Nintendo sweat a bit, since an overcrowded retail space is never a good experience for the consumer.
Beyond a Month.... (and we are at this point, now) Ugh, I don't want to think what Nintendo would do to elevate that.

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the store just launched and it was Holiday season....lets see how busy thing are a couple months from now.
The size of the space isnt only based on the initial Holiday traffic.

Expect more of that in the upcoming months...people love to ignore data and facts when it comes to Nintendo.
Hell many people made a career out of it and continue to push proven false agendas.
The funny thing is they are just gonna repeat it until it eventually becomes true so they then can claim to be the gospel

DuvJones

Oct 30, 2017
Make Nintendo Toronto already
I, sort of, don't want them to. Living in Scarborough myself, Nintendo having a retail presence in the middle of downtown (or hell, Yorkdale Mall, or Sherway Gardens) would likely make Nintendo fan's in the city go crazy. And that is the thing, their are a TON of Nintendo fans in Toronto.

Last edited:

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Koopa Troopa was/is always my main character I use for Mario Kart from the very beginning so I was always partial to him lol But his design is just perfect though, I can't explain it either lol

For me its the Shy guy (and Waluigi) plush. I would also love a rob plushy as he was my main in DS.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It does honestly sound like Nintendo doesn't get how big they are. Why take so long to open a store in goddamn Tokyo in the first place? It's so weird.

Nintendo is the company that went from the SNES and Wii to the N64 and Wii U respectively. They probably know better then anyone that yesterday success is not guaranteed into tomorrow.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I was there yesterday, those things are still on display. The gulf war gameboy still works, too. Currently they have some E3 2018 props on display as well.

But it seems to me that there's less exclusive merch now than there was, say, two years ago. Less things like socks and clothing, especially for Zelda. They used to have a large array of amiibos to buy but even that section has been retooled to almost nothing.

They've expanded their demo kiosk area and rearranged the current-retail areas so you can get any games, joycons, etc. easily, but you can get a similar experience from local retail stores. When there isn't a special event going on, much of the space is occupied by shoppers and tourists giving their feet a rest for a few minutes. The few photo-op areas are still special though. But more of this, as it currently is, may not be the best thing.
I kind of agree.

I visited the store a few months ago and while it is fun... it felt lowkey a bit? Expected way more merch and more to buy.

The one thing the store has though is a very relaxed and just positive vibe. I spoke to one of the guys there after hearing my accent and we talked about the special edition of Link's Awakening in Europe being way cooler. Also other Nintendo related topics. Very friendly folks working over there.

I bought a Hylian Shield pillow and a Bow-Wow pluche. Damnit NYC store :(

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
They seem to always underestimate the size of their fanbase. Seen it for years.

This. Too many times, Nintendo miscalculates the appeal of their products, which leads to overstock or understocking depending on the game. You'd think they'd learn by now that they're consumer base is much larger than they believe.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
I went there last week and even at 10 minutes before the store closed there were a long queue at the cashier. They need bigger shop or another branch in Tokyo :/

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Went into Manhattan a little over a week ago and every store was crazy busy, but Nintendo NYC (still can't get used to that new name) took the cake. There was a line of people waiting to get in. Was hoping to see what new Pokemon plushies they had at the time, but we passed on waiting with all the last-minute holiday shoppers and will make a trip back there after the holidays.

Surprised that they put the Tokyo Nintendo store in a Parco in the first place. You'd think they'd want to make it a standalone thing, like the Pokemon Center in Sunshine City.

Seattle would be a no-brainer, since their US operations are based in that area anyway. LA or Chicago would also be good.

DuvJones

Oct 30, 2017
This. Too many times, Nintendo miscalculates the appeal of their products, which leads to overstock or understocking depending on the game. You'd think they'd learn by now that they're consumer base is much larger than they believe.
In general, Nintendo tends to be a rather conservitive company. They are not known to "staff up" hard, and tend to err on the side of the low end of things than the high end of it when it comes to estimates. While they do take risks, it tends to be measured if only because they like keeping the lights on (despite being well beyond that).
They need bigger shop or another branch in Tokyo :/
That is a problem because none of those options are a quick fix or cheap. I am not sure how rent is tabulated in Japan for a business but in a high volume city like Tokyo, I can't image it would be less that $4000 USD a month. That is a lot of money to part with any way that you cut it.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
In general, Nintendo tends to be a rather conservitive company. They are not known to "staff up" hard, and tend to err on the side of the low end of things than the high end of it when it comes to estimates. While they do take risks, it tends to be measured if only because they like keeping the lights on (despite being well beyond that).

And that's a double edged sword IMO. It's good that Nintendo doesn't want to be an all-consuming, monopolistic empire like Disney. But on the other hand, it'd be nice if they did embrace their size and power a bit more often. They're showing that they're willing to do so to an extent with Super Nintendo World and the Nintendo TOKYO store.

DuvJones

Oct 30, 2017
And that's a double edged sword IMO. It's good that Nintendo doesn't want to be an all-consuming, monopolistic empire like Disney. But on the other hand, it'd be nice if they did embrace their size and power a bit more often. They're showing that they're willing to do so to an extent with Super Nintendo World and the Nintendo TOKYO store.
Still, expect small steps than a huge leap, it's how the company has rolled for years. And while, yes it's not exactly the greatest nor do they tend to have a huge presence... It does keep them in business, and it's not all times when business is booming.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo should buy a bunch of Gamestops and turn them into Nintendo Stores.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
For the people talking about lacking Retail presence, isnt the Tokyo store the one literally across from the Pokemon Center ?

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Expect more of that in the upcoming months...people love to ignore data and facts when it comes to Nintendo.
Hell many people made a career out of it and continue to push proven false agendas.
Bloomberg in particular is very guilty of this. Whatever negative spin they can give a story, they'll do it whenever it comes to Nintendo. Been doing it since the Wii days and not enough people have called them out on it.

Oct 25, 2017

My guess the next stores that will open up will be in Osaka LA and Orlando

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, it's a win win situation for Nintendo. They are reaching their target and article like this is free press. What else would could they have done? Made bigger store and risk lose money? Hahaha, not Nintendo.

Let's see if they expand the store before the Olympics.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Was at FanExpo, they had setup a part of the plane but if i remember correctly it was just a large cardboard thing.

That still sounds like an attractive showcase to bring attendees in! I don't think the setup at 550 Madison Ave was modeled after a plane.

Uhhhh i was there at the end of 2016, and it had plenty of PS stuff and PSVR demos and the like. Cant say about right now but i bet for next year and the PS5 theyll center it around that.

I am sure Sony will have a blowout for the PS5 launch there! I definitely want to take a look at the location before that, though. I was always fond of the unified experience that came with trying new hardware and accompanying games at the previous store. Using a PlayStation paired with a Sony television, sometimes even with Sony-based audio hardware, felt complete.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Guess I'll be in line for a long while, then. I'm in Japan visiting relatives right now and was planning to go to the Nintendo Store next week.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Half hour? Hah it was fifty minutes on the 28th. The line snaked down the emergency stairwell.

Got my merch though so I'm happy