• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly, but I do recall hearing that a game running at, say, 1080pwill perform better than when it runs at Performance Mode DLSS 2160p using a 1080p render resolution. We'll have to see how it ends up, I might test it later.
DLSS has a fixed cost added onto the costs to render at whatever your native res is. hence why 1080p is faster than 1080p > 4K

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't true, DLSS has a GPU performance cost, there's a reason framerates with DLSS on are a good bit lower than running at the base resolution with it off. It costs a lot less than running at a high native resolution, but it isn't free.

You wouldn't go through the trouble of fabricating a new chip on 8nm to make it barely more GPU performant than the TX1 from 2015.

Lets just be realistic here. There will be a 2x GPU bump at minimum, probably closer to 2.5-3x.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
$350 would be the most expensive US launch price for a Nintendo platform, wouldn't it? Not adjusting for inflation, of course.

nintendo-wii-u-deluxe-set-release-date-price-news-1.jpg

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Given that our resident source has said he expects (at least one) third party exclusive, it might be worth going over the list of games that already have DLSS support to see which titles might have a head start on a port: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DLSS_support

Nioh 2 got it a couple weeks ago, Control, Cyberpunk, CoD: Cold War, Avengers, Watch Dogs: Legions, FF XV, Death Stranding and more are on the list. Fortnite and Wolfenstein: Youngblood might be two existing Switch games that are candidates for a quick DLSS update.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
If it's essentially just a resolution boost and plays the same games I'm ok with waiting a while. Only had my switch for about two years or so now.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, anyone got screens of 720p DLSS'd to 4K vs true 4K? I'm interested in what this "magical" tech can do
might not be exactly what you're asking, but here's a comparison of native 4K downsampled to 720p, vs 480p upscaled to 720p via DLSS

forum.beyond3d.com

Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

The PS5 is categorically and objectively outperforming the 2060S by a substantial margin. A lot of this thread has discussion from many folks on why the we should expect the PS5 to outperform it. Due to tflops, etc. And why it shouldn't be considered the as PS5 punching above its weight...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Given that our resident source has said he expects (at least one) third party exclusive, it might be worth going over the list of games that already have DLSS support to see which titles might have a head start on a port: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DLSS_support

Nioh 2 got it a couple weeks ago, Control, Cyberpunk, CoD: Cold War, Avengers, Watch Dogs: Legions, FF XV, Death Stranding and more are on the list. Fortnite and Wolfenstein: Youngblood might be two existing Switch games that are candidates for a quick DLSS update.
Fortnite is a given especially with th DLSS Plugin that just released for UE4. Expect most UE4/5 games to use DLSS on Switch Pro and Epic/nVidia to make the process as easy as possible.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If it's essentially just a resolution boost and plays the same games I'm ok with waiting a while. Only had my switch for about two years or so now.

Nah it'll be more than that. We already have rumors of at least one game that won't run on the base model.

Plus we're getting a ~6-9x CPU increase on top of this.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Basically means you can run at docked performance or even better but with no to little hit in undocked performance with DLSS. That's a nice boost but hopefully there is more juice on top.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure that is not happening.

It's more than just adding a new patch to toggle a flag to enable DLSS.

I doubt that older titles will receive DLSS patches.
How do you think current games on PC get their DLSS Updates ? It's gonna happen if the games are selling and it makes sense. They aren't gonna wait 2-3 years for their next project when they can update a game already available on Switch in a month and rake in big sales from hungry Switch pro buyers early on.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure that is not happening.

Games like Fortnite will 100% get updated. Like thinking otherwise is just plain wrong.

It's more than just adding a new patch to toggle a flag to enable DLSS.

I doubt that older titles will receive DLSS patches.

Games on UE4 that have good sales will certainly be updated. Especially demanding ones.

The idea devs wont update old games is unfounded.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it has a cost, essentially the cost of typical TAA. Which is more than covered by the 2-3x increase they'll be giving this model.

Plus a 6-9x better CPU will help immensely with performance.
From what I remember from benchmarks DLSS costs quite a bit more than TAA.
You wouldn't go through the trouble of fabricating a new chip on 8nm to make it barely more GPU performant than the TX1 from 2015.

Lets just be realistic here. There will be a 2x GPU bump at minimum, probably closer to 2.5-3x.
Again, I hope this is the case and if it was any company other than Nintendo I wouldn't even worry, but with the article not even mentioning a boost to the GPU specs I'm just worried Nintendo is going to have one of their famous baffling moments.
Yo, anyone got screens of 720p DLSS'd to 4K vs true 4K? I'm interested in what this "magical" tech can do
720p to 4k doesn't produce very great results.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
From what I remember from benchmarks DLSS costs quite a bit more than TAA.

Again, I hope this is the case and if it was any company other than Nintendo I wouldn't even worry, but with the article not even mentioning a boost to the GPU specs I'm just worried Nintendo is going to have one of their famous baffling moments.

720p to 4k doesn't produce very great results.
What about 480 to 1080?

I just want my Zelda at 60fps and a reasonable resolution goddamnit

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Actually for any game that has TAA it is in reality as simple as literally ticking a box.
We will see. I am hoping I'm wrong, but I couldn't shake off that feeling of doubt.

How do you think current games on PC get their DLSS Updates ? It's gonna happen if the games are selling and it makes sense. They aren't gonna wait 2-3 years for their next project when they can update a game already available on Switch in a month and rake in big sales from hungry Switch pro buyers early on.

There are older titles which aren't selling on the Switch, or that they have stopped getting sales in activity. Smaller indie titles that didn't get any sales after the boost to the Switch Pro probably won't be seeing DLSS updates.

Games like Fortnite will 100% get updated. Like thinking otherwise is just plain wrong.

That game is a live service. It's a different type of game that will definitely get patched because of their ongoing seasons.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
I just can't believe the switch went a whole generation without a price drop which is insane!!! I'm sad because I'm gonna miss out on a Nintendo launch for the first time because I'm gonna visit in laws Xmas times so I can't spend money... 😢

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Games on UE4 that have good sales will certainly be updated. Especially demanding ones.

The idea devs wont update old games is unfounded.
Yeah, we've seen the Outer Worlds devs work on the game a lot after launch. The assumption that no one will work on a patch for a game that takes more than setting a flag does not make sense to me.

I just can't believe the switch went a whole generation without a price drop which is insane!!! I'm sad because I'm gonna miss out on a Nintendo launch for the first time because I'm gonna visit in laws Xmas times so I can't spend money... 😢
The OG Switch generation isn't going to be over with this system launch. This'll apparently be positioned as a Pro, at least at first. Might take over the generation years down the line.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I never doubted NateDrake . This makes me so freaking happy, I can't wait to see Nintendo titles with DLSS.

Question: Why wouldn't handheld also use DLSS to render to 720p? DLSS is less resource intensive then native rendering, so why wouldn't you use it in both modes?

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
$400 USD is steep for a GBC/DSi/N3DS upgrade, unless this is essentially the "Switch 2" and Nintendo is opting for a rolling release model.

Don't forget the bigger screen. Look at any other product line: it costs more to get a bigger screen on something. It's a change that's immediately obvious to any consumer and makes it easy to price it $50 or $100 more. Putting together the pieces from the reports (7" OLED, 4K output), it sounds like the message will primarily be "It's a bigger Switch", and I'd expect Nintendo to market it that way - as an XL model (and not Pro). DLSS and CPU/GPU specs are implementation details - they'll focus on things that are obvious.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Yeah, we've seen the Outer Worlds devs work on the game a lot after launch. The assumption that no one will work on a patch for a game that takes more than setting a flag does not make sense to me.
There are some big games that didn't receive the updates they warrant, just because the developers have moved on to work on different projects. They are the ones that I'm referring to, where the games they put out isn't likely to get patched.

Regardless, this might change, if the developers see potential sales and demand the moment DLSS is added into big titles.

Oct 25, 2017
México
You can always sell your old Switch to afford the new one. That's what I did with the V1.1 revision and that's what I'm planning to do with the Pro.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
long shot but I hope they release the port for Xenoblade Chronicles X at the same time.

Also, can't wait for 60fps Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade DE and 2 at 720p portable.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
switch with DLSS could be pretty damn good. My biggest issue with the current switch is the performance so this would be great.