• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me how they're going to stuff sufficient tensor cores in there to do DLSS? Sounds like an absolute pipe dream.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
SwitchProBezels.png

Made a rough concept on how bezels would look like with a 7 inch screen. Definitely a lot more screen real estate here.

Nice! Day one for sure!

Nintendo fix the Joycons!!!

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
720p is naturally going to get a lot of blowback here, but I'll bet public perception is more like 'oh wow, the colors look great!'

Interested in price, I'm sure it will sell well considering the popularity of the system.

MuckyBarnes

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver, B.C.
The screen+bezel is exactly 7" on the OG Switch, so this is perfect from a form factor and joy-con compatibility perspective.

Games actually running at native res handheld will look so sick too.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I play exclusively in handheld mode, will be buying this day one just for the performance increases if true. I wonder what the cost is though? Still $299?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me how they're going to stuff sufficient tensor cores in there to do DLSS? Sounds like an absolute pipe dream.
the theoretical minimum for DLSS to work might be around 4SM, which is the same number of FP32 units as the regular switch, plus another 256 fp32 units. and Ampere SM comes with 2 tensor cores that are twice as powerful as 2 Turing SM

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
straight into my veins.

Phones have been suffering from excessively high resolutions for years, 720p does not bother me that much at all. Especially if it means maintaining higher and/or more solid frame rates.

Nov 8, 2017
There were other differences between those two models besides just the screen, though. The move to LCD was a cost-cutting move.

OLEDs have basically always been more efficient. Among other things, they don't require power to light up a black screen. They can just not light up the black parts. A device like the Apple Watch wouldn't be possible using an LCD, which is why it was Apple's first ever device to use an OLED display.

OLED efficiency varies based on brightness and content heavily. So yes an all black screen is using basically nothing, however an all white screen typically uses much more power than an all white LED of equivalent brightness. The peak brightness of OLEDs is usually lower than equivalently priced LED TVs, it's the improved contrast that gives it it's edge.

But then why not do the same portable?
Honest question: does the resolution disparity matter at all even now? People seem to not really care about anything other than the switching itself, so I don't think there being any potentially larger gap between the display modes even registers, especially if the handheld screen winds up being HDR-enabled, which makes a much more convincing argument than resolution does.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Sounds amazing. I take it all current Switch games/SD cards will carry over/work with the new Switch right? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This guy is shooting worse then Shaq at the free throw line
I just don't believe in this reporter's reporting.
His years of reporting
Fulton reed also has a 1 out of 5 success rate.
What's he been wrong about over "his years of reporting" to warrant such comments? To my mind, he's one of the most reliable reporters in the industry.

And for those keeping score, this isn't his first article about a 4K Switch either.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know at 6.2" I would at least like 1080p but that's just me.
I would be extremely surprised if you could consistently correctly label a 1080p 6.2-inch screen and a 720p 6.2-inch screen during gameplay in A/B testing, much less that you could detect a difference if you weren't told there was a difference or what to look for.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Everyone complaining about handheld resolution, meanwhile I'm not bothered at all since I use the Switch on the Dock 100% of the time

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Don't care about the screen because that baby's staying docked! Bring it on Nintendo! The Switch Pro!

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

I personally think 720p is great when games actually hit that resolution, and I assume more titles will actually hit it with this new hardware.

That said, he's not doing himself any favors with the 16" take. When I'm playing RPGs like Bravely, FE3H, Triangle Strategy etc with lots of text, I'm holding it quite a bit closer than 16"

Edit:
C'mon now. Who holds theirs phones 16 inches away from their face?

720p is fine for a midgen refresh when most of the games are going to render around 720p in handheld anyways, but no need for these dumb analogies.

Glad somebody else said it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question: does the resolution disparity matter at all even now? People seem to not really care about anything other than the switching itself, so I don't think there being any potentially larger gap between the display modes even registers, especially if the handheld screen winds up being HDR-enabled, which makes a much more convincing argument than resolution does.

Really?

Because my thinking is that it's pretty crappy if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks pretty much exactly the same handheld(actually marginally worse due to increase screen size) whilst having a massive upgrade on TVs. Seems way lopsided in favour of the home experience.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I wouldn't be suprised if they added DLSS, but I dunno if they can squeeze tensor cores into a handheld

I'm really wondering if the tensor cores are going to be in the dock. I have to say, I'll be disappointed if the cost of adding tensor cores to the system means that the rest of the tech (CPU, GPU, Memory, etc...) do not see a bump.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
How far away does this dude hold his Switch? When I game on it, I'm typically about 8-10" away. Guaranteed I could see the difference.

Yeah, because it's the truth. I guess if you hold your Switch out a ways you wouldn't be able to tell. That ain't how I roll, though.

I want to see a picture of you playing your Switch with it 8 inches away from your face. I 100% do not believe that.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know... A 399 PS4 Pro marketed itself as a 4K console in 2016, and ran PS4 quality games at high enough res for 4K displays. 4K CBR at Switch quality sounds... Doable?
it required a bespoke game specific solutions for 4k. Not many games ran at that resolution.
With DLSS being integrated int UE4 and growth in acceptance of DLSS on PC games, almost any dev can hit that with DLSS. Completely different situaiton

Basides even if not all games hit that, DLSS will improve image quality a great deal. I'd think 2K/60 demanding games would be quite common with DLSS support. 4k/60 for games that really push for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.