• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
You just gotta laugh at those people that were unironically asking bethesda to move to unreal or making a complete new engine

Iterating on what you have is always better than building the plane while trying to fly it

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I agree that this story is a little light. Anyway, I hope there are positive changes at 343. I don't know how Microsoft can expect smooth continued development on Halo projects with such high turnover. It's apparent that it's bad for business in this particular industry.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A couple tidbits that were trimmed from the article:
- 343's tool set, Faber, was so difficult to use that they spent months considering a switch to Unreal. (They didn't)
- The game was delayed multiple times. One early plan was to release multiplayer in 2019 and campaign in 2020

engines really seem to be blowing up on folks. when you don't have an army maintaining things, making large games seems to be a hassle

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of wild that a year ago I thought this article would be how did Xbox mess up Halo Infinite. What a difference a year makes. Nice article!

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Great article, though I do miss Jason's deeper dives. His Bloomberg work always seems so much shorter than his previous stuff.

I'm a huge Halo fan and am so glad they managed to stick the landing with Infinite. Thank god for Joe Staten.

I feel like Infinite is going to be held up as a shining example of 'a delayed game is eventually good' for years to come. I hope other devs at different companies can use Infinite's success to argue for the extra time they need on their own projects going forward.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Relying that much on contract workers seems like an insane waste of time for everyone involved. Whatever money Microsoft saves with such practices has to be completely wasted on such an inefficient staff structure.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just gotta laugh at those people that were unironically asking bethesda to move to unreal or making a complete new engine

Iterating on what you have is always better than building the plane while trying to fly it
when your load now outweighs the plane, you need a bigger plane

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A very good read.
Perhaps it is time for:
1) Partner with id soft to use their engine or switch to UE5 (assist by Gears team)
2) Bonnie Ross to depart from 343i? I mean she is the head of 343i and 343i is supposed to be the best studio of XGS, but the result is the weakest team of XGS. The management needs to be changed.

I hope the cut-off contents can be added back as free DLC expansion to the campaign.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

Sometimes is does work though, didn't Square switch FF7R to Unreal and it looks amazing with pretty much no bugs apart from the low res door.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I hope Joe sticks around for the long haul. 343 need a face known to the community and a focus to lead them.

The part about the npc marines just leaves me wondering, How did they not know that?! Just purely from a design perspective.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It's a feel-good story so long as 343 does't adopt the "BioWare magic" mindset Jason talked about in his Anthem article.

Like Infinite, Dragon Age Inquisition had a troubled development that managed to pull things together in the end. This successful end result caused the studio to put off making any changes to their development approach, meaning there was nothing preventing Anthem's development from undergoing the exact same issues. And y'know, that didn't exactly work out.

We just gotta hope that 343 can re-examine the last 6 years and chart a new course.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
A very good read.
Perhaps it is time for:
1) Partner with id soft to use their engine or switch to UE5 (assist by Gears team)
2) Bonnie Ross to depart from 343i? I mean she is the head of 343i and 343i is supposed to be the best studio of XGS, but the result is the weakest team of XGS. The management needs to be changed.

I hope the cut-off contents can be added back as free DLC expansion to the campaign.
Calling for a management change now seems silly. They are releasing a game that is getting great reviews and putting up killer numbers. If anything, Bonnie Ross will be getting a raise. Why is "fire the women" so often the suggestion?

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
I expected a lot more from this story. It ended before it starts.

Basically, nothing new except Staten want Marines AI inside and some quotes from Multiplayer eSports folks regarding a campaign (?!) and the end.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
I'd be fascinated to see how they managed to avoid crunch despite having these issues. Credit to the management team for avoiding it. Their developers must have appreciated it.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
in an age where graphical features and complexity gets a higher rate of diminishing returns but the scope gets bigger and bigger; putting out solid products become mostly a human resource issue; and not a technological one. Next to the fact that efficiency in your workflows becomes paramount.

That only makes sense if your game is designed around that engine's strong points.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a feel-good story so long as 343 does't adopt the "BioWare magic" mindset Jason talked about in his Anthem article.

Like Infinite, Dragon Age Inquisition had a troubled development that managed to pull things together in the end. This successful end result caused the studio to put off making any changes to their development approach, meaning there was nothing preventing Anthem's development from undergoing the exact same issues. And y'know, that didn't exactly work out.

We just gotta hope that 343 can re-examine the last 6 years and chart a new course.
Same thing happened with CDPR with CyberPunk after the Witcher 3's success as well.

Difference with 343 though is that they ran into major issues, the game was forced to be delayed by over a year, and they appear to have drastically changed their development approach for that final year+. So hopefully this was a learning experience for the studio.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
A very good read.
Perhaps it is time for:

I think calling for people to lose their jobs without knowing the internal situation is a bit uncalled for. Even if I agree that the management should take a hard look at what needs to be changed to make the work practices more sustainable.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
For some reason I really hate reading about a games development being plagued by bad tools or engines. So much time and effort wasted.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That infamous gameplay demo must have been like the bat-signal to Staten

"Halo needs me, guess it's time to put the cape back on"

Red

Oct 26, 2017
engines really seem to be blowing up on folks. when you don't have an army maintaining things, making large games seems to be a hassle
AAA is monstrously complex and seems to have no signs of slowing. I can only imagine the pressure to develop new engines or maintain widely used ones.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Calling for a management change now seems silly. They are releasing a game that is getting great reviews and putting up killer numbers. If anything, Bonnie Ross will be getting a raise. Why is "fire the women" so often the suggestion?

Please, don't get me wrong. This is nothing about "Fire the women".
Whoever managed 343i in the past years shall be responsible for the messy management and development hell.
Yes, 343i turned MCC through years and Halo Infinite seems to be the best Halo yet in 343i era. However, some damages on Halo's fame were already there and the messy management of 343i is part of the reason.

And it is just my thought. I am happy to see 343i being better.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Relying that much on contract workers seems like an insane waste of time for everyone involved. Whatever money Microsoft saves with such practices has to be completely wasted on such an inefficient staff structure.
It's kind of depressing if so much inefficiency, chaos, and added stress was somehow still calculated to be some degree more cost effective than the alternative.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
It's crazy to go back and watch that engine demo and then see the final product. I wish we got something closer to that art style :/

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Sad to see the situation of the contractors. In jobs that involve creativity, employment stability is essential for the employee to be able to do his work.
It is similar to what happens in the brain drain (when scientists leave their original country because of a lack of opportunities). All the accumulated knowledge is lost.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Shouldve switched to Unreal tbh, especially if after all this time theyre still using faber.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Such a nice article. I hope Jason stays back and also we see TC , 343i, Id Soft and Machine Games all sharing tech and ideas.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
What a disappointing article. I know it's not Jason's fault, but i really miss his big dives into a studio's culture.

Seems the "culture" was pretty irrelevant and not inherently problematic

A few things that stood out to me:
  • Is a bit unclear from the time line, including the debate about Unreal, whether faber is post or pre slipspace.
  • Have to imagine swapping to Unreal would have alleviated some of the loss of expertise due to contractor problem. Getting people in with years worth of experience on Unreal vs. people brand new to their in house engine.
  • Seems crazy that MS won't allow any exception to the 18 month contractor rule.
  • 2/3 of the game being cut is a lot of content, wonder how much is still on the DLC roadmap.
  • Staten should stay at 343 for as long as possible.

1. Faber existed prior to the slipspace rebranding. Whether that rebranding was cause the tech debt was fixed, no idea
2. While possible, there are 2 major downfalls. One being they would need to remake everything again in unreal and 2 being engines have quarkes in them that make a game feel a certain way. Getting UR to feel like Halo would not be an easy task. Hell, theres a reason Destiny and Halo feel similar, cause their engines are both rooted in the Blam engine
3. Ya, contractors are tricky and usually there is an upgrade path internally for full employment. Not sure aboutr MS's inner workings though
4. Good question
5. Based on the unfiltered interview with IGN, he plans to stay there for awhile

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am wondering whether MS will remove that 2020 Halo demo from their youtube channel to bury the dark history /s

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Too bad microsoft didnt buy bethesda earlier. They could just have developed halo on idtech

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Is this standard? Seems like a terrible way of building a culture within a studio. Especially for a fucking game they plan to support the next X amount of years!
The time limit for contracted workers is standard in any industry. As for studios using contracted workers, also extremely common at the likes of Ubisoft etc. But 343 definitely took it to the extreme, no doubt in a panic to get the game out the door ASAP.

May 17, 2018
"We should have known before and just been honest with ourselves," Phil Spencer, Xbox's head, said in a recent interview with British GQmagazine. "We were there not out of deception, but more out of ... hope. And I don't think hope is a great development strategy."

jennifer-lawrence-j-law.gif

Like, I know he can't really say "we thought the brand alone would sell this" but, this line is ridiculous.

FauxBrian

Prophet of Truth
Aug 20, 2021

Cause people don't know what happens behind closed doors and they will always blame whatever figurehead they can find for problems. I mean I remember seeing people calling for Pete Hines to be fired over the bugs in Fallout 76. The dude works in the marketing department. People have no idea.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Same thing happened with CDPR with CyberPunk after the Witcher 3's success as well.

Difference with 343 though is that they ran into major issues, the game was forced to be delayed by over a year, and they appear to have drastically changed their development approach for that final year+. So hopefully this was a learning experience for the studio.
Yeah, I really hope so. They've got a great foundation to build on w Infinite, these devs deserve a smooth decade going forward!

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Can "tech debt" be fixed over time? Or is it just like, such old, foundational code that you have to work around it? I know nothing about coding lol.
Speaking as someone with development experience (embedded devices, not games but still), it's possible, but it's very painful, difficult, and expensive. A lot of the time, the code written by someone who is long gone, and because it's so old, any documentation for it is nowhere to be found. The goal for rebuilding such code, is to basically have it do the same thing it's doing already, but maybe to have it be more easily expanded, or be more stable. Unfortunately, the initial goal being to just have it do what it's already doing means you need to dedicate a ton of effort for basically no progress in the shorter term. Then, when it comes to budget planning, it's easy to cut rebuilding systems that already "work", so the tech debt just continues to pile on. It usually takes some loud complaining from the dev side to finally convince management that it's something that has to happen, and it usually happens too late, which makes the work to fix it more than it could have been.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The stuff about different teams being like fiefdoms competing for resources is 100% apparent in the final game.

You can see the teams in charge of UI, progression, customization etc probably all take a backseat. Probably full of contracters.

Covid likely made it worse. The game was 2/3 scrapped in 2019.... and then soon after covid hits.

home

Oct 25, 2017
Those contractor restrictions would seem to work against Microsoft's triple A game goals, considering these huge games usually take years to make. I have to assume this is a mandate from leadership, and they don't carve out exceptions?

The amount of contractor use in games in general is gross and exploitive all the same though.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad microsoft didnt buy bethesda earlier. They could just have developed halo on idtech
But if the primary reason in sticking with the current engine with at least some Bungie-era code was to maintain that Halo feel, idTech wouldn't have been a more alluring option than Unreal, would it?

His Bloomberg work always seems so much shorter than his previous stuff.
Yeah. I'm happy for Jason that he's no longer having to deal with those G/O Media headaches, but it's a drag that the constraints of word counts and a non-gaming audience mean we'll never see something like his Anthem post-mortem again, at least not at Bloomberg.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems the "culture" was pretty irrelevant and not inherently problematic

When it feels like 5 games are made at the same time and internal teams are fighting for budget/resources, it sure seems like the culture has some issues. It looks like there isn't an abuse/crunch culture there (from this brief article), but that doesn't mean there aren't any issues.

Still, there's barely anything here. Hopefulyl Jason can go into more details in another article in the future.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A very good read.
Perhaps it is time for:

They arent going to switch engine. They've got slipspace to a nice place and will iterate over it to optimise and stabilise it better. On top of adding new features. They built the entirety of Halo's 10 yer plan on Slipspace, if they had to change it would have been an option years ago, not now.

Oct 25, 2017
What a disappointing article. I know it's not Jason's fault, but i really miss his big dives into a studio's culture.
What bugs me the most about his articles sense he moved to Bloomberg is that all of them seem to be 85% explaining what a video game is and the 15% I'm actually interested in is squeezed into half a paragraph at the end

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Damn the stars really aligned for Halo with GamePass.

The staged release with campaign launch coming up, a few months later releasing campaign co-op and then they can use the cut content as staged releases in the future really plays to the monthly subscription model.

Infinate will constantly be relevant and talked about over the next few years and be one more justification for keeping your GP sub active.