• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I don't want to drag up old stuff in public months later but Jason was put in crossfire as well last time and him blocking the reporter here (who I'm not wanting to name to not give any extra attention for the shit she went through this week) was pretty justified in my opinion, but ofc it's troublesome in situations like this. It'd be helpful if Jason had someone at Game Informer he could reach out to, though.
He didn't block her? She can still see his tweets

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with Liana's views that the word "crunch" has a cheaper meaning these days, but there's absolutely not justification for the hate she's getting.

Let's not forget she was the one who first reported on the epilepsy issues on Cyberpunk 2077 and then got a mob sending videos that could trigger her epilepsy.

Jason could've kept the focus on his story. He knew people would check who wrote the GI article, and they'd pile on her mentions again. If he didn't, he should've known better. All of that could've been avoided, and the focus would be on his story. He's wrong on this one.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how much better the game runs on PC, and despite numerous bugs is still for all effects and purposes a great game, this just shows that they should have been much more honest with people about the state of the game on 8th gen consoles.
If CD Projekt Red was run by people who primarily cared about the quality of the product, instead of $$$, then they should have just canned those versions years ago. I'm sure many people at the company could have already estimated in 2018 that there wasn't a way they would get the game they envisioned running on the base PS4, not without it being a complete mess.

Obligatory to understand what happened.

This explains it greatly, though it's not like CD Projekt had a monopoly on anything, so it's even more baffling that they were run by people with such little care about the state of the game and their customers.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to track those down at some point, because I definitely didn't have a good time with the combat in the game. Anything to make control/movement more direct, responsive and less... garbage?

I assumed you played the game after CDPR patched the alternate movement mode in a few months after launch?

Otherwise there are lot of mods that change combat animations and whatnot you can find on the Nexus but I would make sure they are compatible with the combat overhauls first.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
One comment from a game dev point of view on this.

If a deadline for a project seems unrealistic, yet the deadline cannot be moved, you scope things down. Always scope things down. Have the leads of each craft work with their respective producers and development directors to scope down features / the game to a deliverable that the team can achieve. Do this every month until you ship.
The obvious issue is clearly management at CDP(R) would not allow that, though it's clear from the console ports that scoping down effectively did occur (such as the busted police AI/system and other cut corners I've heard about).

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jason had two avenues:

-Reach out and ask them to fix it privately (if they tell you to fuck off, then go public)
-Do what he did publicly

Both have the same outcome, the first one avoids sending 250k gamers after a woman

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
TL;DR: The author of new reporting is saying a separate publication is mischaracterizing that writing, giving specific examples of those mischaracterizations in tweets, being careful to only reference that publication, not any individual figures.

Quoting for the new page. People are acting like Jason is bringing up old shit, when he was reacting reasonably to brand new information.

Reminder to stay on topic

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
OK so this is an important news story, but the last few pages of this thread has been exclusively about tweets between two individuals, instead of the substance of that story.

Since the tweets were deleted, this should be enough indication that it's time to stop re-litigating this twitter drama, no matter whose side you're on.

Let's please re-focus on the actual news story, which is about CDPR developers confronting their bosses over the crunch they endured. Thank you.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The thing I'm going to keep an eye out for in future coverage of CDPR more generally is if there's signs of a culture of retribution against people who speak out, especially off-the-record. I do think even when things are managed badly, some companies are good about being frank as information comes out, vs. others which are more secretive and seem to target staff willing to speak out about conditions. I don't honestly have a sense of where that falls for CDPR.

I have admittedly negative feelings toward them, seeing the deliberate/conscious actions they look around (and in light of) the Cyberpunk launch. That said, I'd love to see this as a turning point in management. I've been in work meetings where things got ugly, but also needed to get ugly to clear the air.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
The obvious issue is clearly management at CDP(R) would not allow that, though it's clear from the console ports that scoping down effectively did occur (such as the busted police AI/system and other cut corners I've heard about).
The crazy thing is just how much was already scoped down! Just from what I remember offhand:

• Dual pistols
  • Wall running
  • Vehicle customization
  • Subway
  • Thermal katana (I believe thermal mantis blades are still in, but the thermal katana is just gone)

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I remember a thread on here, complaining at people who were against having to work so much over time.

"Oh I have to do this all the time, there is nothing wrong with it"

For anyone who believes this or has been made to believe work takes priority, you are so wrong, so very, very, wrong.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yooo that's right, they were planning on having a fuckin subway system in this shit lmfao.

Sheesh

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
The crazy thing is just how much was already scoped down! Just from what I remember offhand:

• Dual pistols
  • Wall running
  • Vehicle customization
  • Subway
  • Thermal katana (I believe thermal mantis blades are still in, but the thermal katana is just gone)
I think there is a Reddit thread that is compiling all of the "missing" features. If I'm remembering correctly, CDPR said all NPCs would have a routine. I paid full price for Watch Dog Legion and felt burnt by that purchase, but all of their NPCs seem to be on a routine as promised unlike in CP77.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think is a Reddit thread that is compiling all of the "missing" features. If I'm remembering correctly, CDPR said all NPCs would have a routine. I paid full price for Watch Dog Legion and felt burnt by that purchase, but all of their NPCs seem to be on a routine as promised unlike in CP77.
We might never know how much of this CPU busywork was ever crafted/implemented and then left out in order to dumb the game down enough to "run" on 2013 consoles or just simply never even attempted.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I think is a Reddit thread that is compiling all of the "missing" features. If I'm remembering correctly, CDPR said all NPCs would have a routine. I paid full price for Watch Dog Legion and felt burnt by that purchase, but all of their NPCs seem to be on a routine as promised unlike in CP77.
I was actually just discussing last night how impressive (to me) NPC behavior is in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim (specifically routines, ignoring things like animations, etc.) They have homes, beds, families, jobs, they gather at their dinner tables to eat with their family, they go to sleep during certain hours, etc.

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. I'm seriously trying to think of the last company to fall from grace the way CDPR has recently. It's just insane.

I can't think of one. It isn't just CDPR, its also CD Projekt as a whole. In like the past month they:
  1. Showed everyone that they're able to release a game more broken and featureless than anything Bethesda or Bioware has ever put out, something often used to put CDPR on a higher pedestal than either of them.
  2. Showed their ass with regards to writing, something that people put them above everyone else in the industry especially after The Witcher 3.
  3. Showed their ass by bending the knee to China AND putting out that "we listened to gamers and removed the game..." statement, breaking the illusion that GOG was a game's service that would be free of annoying corporate influence like implementing needless DRM and censorship.
  4. Completely took their mask off with regards to treatment of minorities.
They've shattered the image of their company within a month, not just the development arm side but also their publishing and distribution service side. If anything, they're making what everyone else in the industry (Rockstar's living worlds, Bethesda's AI routines, etc) do make a whole lot more impressive by just how lifeless and bad everything is.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I feel bad for the actual devs, but this game is just a disaster. Can't believe there are still people out there who are defending this.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
The dev staff are going to be working extra crunch on this.
Especially because in addition to fixing the game, they will be doing something extra to win back people.

Odds are they're gonna withhold that bonus

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta go back and take note of all those 90+ reviews. They should be held accountable somehow.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
This explains it greatly, though it's not like CD Projekt had a monopoly on anything, so it's even more baffling that they were run by people with such little care about the state of the game and their customers.
Not a monopoly but an automatic buy from a shit load of people. Plus a lot of arrogance on their part thinking they're the darlings of the industry. I mean people were brushing things off early on with the PC release being a Buggy mess at launch. It wasn't until the console versions were reported on that things really took a turn.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'd be mad as hell if I was one of those developers, crunching for months and the bosses just release the game in a clearly unfinished state which would reflect poorly on my work.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Gotta go back and take note of all those 90+ reviews. They should be held accountable somehow.
They were only given the working version of the game for a review pre-release, so thats what they had to review. And consumers generally do want their reviews on launch day or before. So waiting for a release to buy other versions of the game before doing the review, isn't optimal solution either. Critics were also manipulated by CD Projekt in this. CDP used the media, media wasn't the one hiding the botched last gen ports by their own volition.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here's what I think, I think that when they released the first trailer and then the gameplay trailer. They were REALLY cautious. I remember them saying they weren't gonna oversell or cheat in their gameplay demos. Try and give the customer what they will really get. What happened is that hype machine got started right after that. MARKETING took over. Look at how many deals they've signed: you had special branded Shoes, Phones, computer equipment branded with Cyberpunk, Clothes, Chairs, posters, EVERYTHING. I bet They had to deliver the game soon, in order to fulfill the demands for all of those marketing deals. Add to that, investors putting pressure.

And that the Creative director left for Activision/Blizzard two years before release.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Its crazy how between The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 became just another corporate game development studio like an EA or WB Games, which basically lead to exactly the situation they are in now. I mean, I get it. The Witcher 3's insane success probably brought with it a ton of pressure to grow the studio and accept money from investors and create a board of directors. I think they were even being offered to be bought out by companies like EA.

Hopefully this will be a learning experience for the company as a whole. But I totally see them learning all the wrong lessons.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017

Reviews are subjective. Can't really do much about that. Especially when they reviewed the PC version.
Jeff Gerstmann was criticized with the usual "Jeff hates everything" excuse. He didn't review it but wasn't particularly impressed with the game.
As a woman who gave CP2077 a 7/10, Kallie Plagge was harassed in disgusting ways.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017

Sapkowski had signed over the game rights to The Witcher to CD Projekt for an upfront fee, turning down any potential royalties. He told Eurogamer later about the deal: "I was stupid enough to sell them rights [to all of my novels]. They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, 'No, there will be no profit at all - give me all my money right now! The whole amount.' It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn't believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn't."

Cant really fault cdpr in this.

Oct 28, 2017
Its crazy how between The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 became just another corporate game development studio like an EA or WB Games, which basically lead to exactly the situation they are in now. I mean, I get it. The Witcher 3's insane success probably brought with it a ton of pressure to grow the studio and accept money from investors and create a board of directors. I think they were even being offered to be bought out by companies like EA.

Hopefully this will be a learning experience for the company as a whole. But I totally see them learning all the wrong lessons.

The problems regarding development methods had existed since The Witcher 1. Its just that the relatively smaller scopes of the games were able to hide a lot of the problems. Cyberpunk 2077 was significantly greater in scope. They didn't fix it then, they might try and fix it now but its difficult to do a humongous change in corporate culture when its so ingrained in the company.

Here's what I think, I think that when they released the first trailer and then the gameplay trailer. They were REALLY cautious. I remember them saying they weren't gonna oversell or cheat in their gameplay demos. Try and give the customer what they will really get. What happened is that hype machine got started right after that. MARKETING took over. Look at how many deals they've signed: you had special branded Shoes, Phones, computer equipment branded with Cyberpunk, Clothes, Chairs, posters, EVERYTHING. I bet They had to deliver the game soon, in order to fulfill the demands for all of those marketing deals. Add to that, investors putting pressure.

And that the Creative director left for Activision/Blizzard two years before release.

I just have to imagine the huge amount placed into marketing and merch made the executives force the game to be released at a half broken state and hope that good will and promises of patches would get them over the finish line. I think its clear they thought this too, with the kinda condescending HEY GAMERS yellow jpg company announcements.

The only problem was that the game was just too broken in the wrong ways on all platforms that they couldn't manage to get away with it like they've done in all of The Witcher game releases. Classic case of biting off more than you can chew.

Last edited:

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh there was fault in both camps. They bought all the rights to the Witcher upfront. When he got pissy and aasked for his fair share they fucked him about a bit then eventually came to an agreement. Got to the right place eventually but took a fair amount of effort that probably shouldn't have been needed.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they should. It's evident now why they sent out PC review copies, but by many accounts that's actually quite normal for multiplats.

There's lessons to be learned, but I don't think it's fair to pin blame on those reviews.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that seems quite believable. Well, I just hope developers working there don't get punished for this.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's a long story, but Sapkowski went looking for better compensation since the deal he originally made was ridiculous (though he himself had rejected a deal based on royalties). Compared to the profits CD Projekt were now making based on his property. It took lawyers and bit time, but he eventually got a new deal last year that was satisfying to both parties.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just I have to imagine the huge amount placed into marketing and merch made the executives force the game to be released at a half broken state and hope that good will and promises of patches would get them over the finish line. I think its clear they thought this too, with the kinda condescending HEY GAMERS yellow jpg company announcements.

The only problem was that the game was just too broken in the wrong ways on all platforms that they couldn't manage to get away with it like they've done in all of The Witcher game releases. Classic case of biting off more than you can chew.

Witcher 3 released on 3 platforms. This one is on 6 platforms for christ's sake.

You need a build for PC, Stadia, Ps4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One OG, Xbox One S, Xbox One X.
That's insane.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
"Cyberpunk Game Maker" ? I find it always weird when they use weird generic terms in the title instead of just naming the studio in the headlines.

Oct 28, 2017
Witcher 3 released on 3 platforms. This one is on 6 platforms for christ's sake.

You need a build for PC, Stadia, Ps4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One OG, Xbox One S, Xbox One X.
That's insane.

And The Witcher 3, from memory, had some pretty decent problems on those 3 platforms. Its not like these platforms came out of thin air, I can't believe they thought they could honestly support all consoles simultaneously when they already kind of struggled with three. No one at CDPR should have thought that this time things would turn out differently.