• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He could've put it better but a big news outlet like Game Informer really shouldn't be allowed to overlook a serious issue like crunch.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
She hasn't, read the article, the last paragraph says the management needs to tell the staff how they are going to improve working conditions right now, not later. She isn't easing on them at all, that's a total lie.

She goes out of her way to never say "crunch" or expressly comment on how employees are treated there. In October she said that crunch was "voluntary and agreed upon" which was incongruent with many other reports and accounts from developers within the studio.

It's pretty clear why she is doing what she is doing, and then gets personal when its called out.

Jun 15, 2020
The media side of the industry has to do something about Jason's repeated history of sicking his Twitter mob on people. Stop using him on IGN's review crew or inviting him on Kinda Funny or any of these things.

I understand he does important work, but he's also extremely harmful. He doesn't have to be both.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I was divorcing the man from his legacy. Regardless, still an amazing mind.
You shouldn't. I agree that he was an amazing visionary but people need to quit putting people and companies pedestals that drive their "innovation" by depriving their workforce of happiness. The whole reason why CDPR and many other game companies get away with treating their employees as disposable is because the end product is great and we really should push back on that. You can't recognize somebody as having created something brilliant without also acknowledging the human price that was paid for said brilliance.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The media side of the industry has to do something about Jason's repeated history of sicking his Twitter mob on people. Stop using him on IGN's review crew or inviting him on Kinda Funny or any of these things.

I understand he does important work, but he's also extremely harmful. He doesn't have to be both.
lmao, Nope Jason is doing good work here. the media side of the industry has to get rid of these corporate bootlickers that are bending over for cdpr. Jason's not one of them

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
It should be 100% clear that Jason views any description of crunch without using the word crunch is downplaying the reality for devs. They are not just working long hours. They are crunching. Crunch has deep implications that individuals are self-deteriorating through their labor. Working long hours does not share this same implication. And I personally agree, if you are not using the word crunch to describe what is happening within this industry, you are downplaying the situation.

Though it should be noted that Jason has since deleted the tweet that has caused this discussion.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
This is the problem of Jason's tweet, Liana is going to receive a disproportionate amount of abuse from it, it's not improving the game industry, it helps make it worse:

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Crazy stuff. After reading the article the first question I have is why is the board setting production deadlines? That seems like something that should obviously be dictated by management, to precisely avoid situations like this.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently you can call something by many different names and it won't change the tone.

Unemployment: Job Emancipation
Hunger: Tummy Rumbles
Death: Permanent Rest
Corruption: Being Manipulated
Crunch: Long Work Hours

Enjoy all you future writers!

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Schreier does great reporting it's just a shame about his personal demeanor and the way he conducts arguments online. He's super vindictive and extremely petty on the regular, seems like, and using a professional article as a bludgeon to attack someone is a bad look.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the problem of Jason's tweet, Liana is going to receive a disproportionate amount of abuse from it, it's not improving the game industry, it helps make it worse:
Her defending crunch is making it worst, so it's okay for her to attack him and undermine his article? but it's not okay for him to call her out on the bullshit?

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad Jason has deleted the tweet, he needs to be more careful about stuff like this in the future.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
nqzoLvu.jpg
True lol

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Will never understand why Jason always wants to remember people when he was right on something. The fact that he's probably the only investigative journalist in this industry full of hype people makes him arrogant as fuck.

I mean, these are circumstances where he's already done the hard work in the first place, was right, and others questioned/attacked *his* credibility in situations where that reporting was trying to help others and the industry itself. Yes, people should remember he is/was right. That's not arrogance.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, these are circumstances where he's already done the hard work in the first place, was right, and others questioned/attacked *his* credibility in situations where he was trying to help others and the industry itself. Yes, people should remember he is/was right. That's not arrogance. I struggle to imagine what kind of person would consider that "arrogant," to be honest.
The ones that want to attack him and target him for criticizing CDPR or whatever game company. The ones that are also in the media defending it.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jason has a point, but the way he framed things and the manner in which he conducted himself was not appropriate. These two things can both be true.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Her defending crunch is making it worst, so it's okay for her to attack him and undermine his article? but it's not okay for him to call her out on the bullshit?
Why is him still continually point abuse in her direction okay for one time where she said devs said something different to her? I'm not playing this game, she doesn't deserve this abuse, her article is very negative to CDPR, there's nothing wrong with it.

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
A lot of the tweets posted are deleted so it's hard to understand what is happening as of now in this thread. I hate when Tweets are used as posts in this forum.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is him still continually point abuse in her direction okay for one time where she said devs said something different to her? I'm not playing this game, she doesn't deserve this abuse, her article is very negative to CDPR, there's nothing wrong with it.
She doesn't deserve any abuse, I agree but she wasn't very negative to CDPR, she specifically ignored the mention of crunch and underminded facts and this isn't the first time she's done exactly the same thing.

Oct 27, 2017
You can simultaneously think Liana is wack for downplaying crunch, but also believe Jason is exceedingly petty and way out of line for putting her in the crosshairs of the internet hate mob.

Come on, folks. Let's walk and chew gum here.

Nov 7, 2017
Tale as old as time. Clueless board idiots demanding results at any cost without ever considering the consequences if it fails.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Biggest blunder, this or Avengers?

I mean atleast CP made back its budget...

Cyberpunk by a mile. Avengers has its own issues, however I enjoyed my time with it, the campaign itself was pretty fun. The game could have gone a couple more months before release to fix everything up, whereas it feels like Cyberpunk needed a solid year.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It seems incredibly strange that so many are defending Game Informer of all outlets, especially considering their constant downplaying of actual physical and mental abuse via crunch from CDPR. Like, what? We need more journalists calling out shitty practices, and that includes when large platforms go to bat for said practices in the form of bad-faith arguments. GI literally tried to say crunch was voluntary and people are still giving them the benefit of the doubt. It feels so backwards.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
She doesn't deserve any abuse, I agree but she wasn't negative to CDPR, she specifically ignored the mention of crunch and underminded facts.
No she didn't. And if Jason actually thought her article could improve he could have replied all the times she tried to reach out to him privately. Please stop defending this. It's a deservice to Jason himself as this is something he keeps doing again and again, he really needs to learn from it and stop

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can simultaneously think Liana is wack for downplaying crunch, but also believe Jason is exceedingly petty and way out of line for putting her in the crosshairs of the internet hate mob.

Come on, folks. Let's walk and chew gum here.
Like she did to him? I'm just waiting to see how it's not okay for jason to clap back when she's done it multiple times.

No she didn't. And if Jason actually thought her article could improve he could have replied all the times she tried to reach out to him privately. Please stop defending this. It's a deservice to Jason himself as this is something he keeps doing again and again, he really needs to learn from it and stop
She did multiple times. Why should she get a pass for bad journalism and underminding jason in public?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Will never understand why Jason always wants to remember people when he was right on something. The fact that he's probably the only investigative journalist in this industry full of hype people makes him arrogant as fuck.
He's about half as arrogant as I would be in his shoes and twice as polite. Their sycophantic boot licking is what justifies these horrible business practices. Broken AAA game launches are the norm and not the exception, but those review scores are just as high as ever. Enough is enough. Someone needs to say something.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, these are circumstances where he's already done the hard work in the first place, was right, and others questioned/attacked *his* credibility in situations where that reporting was trying to help others and the industry itself. Yes, people should remember he is/was right. That's not arrogance.

Yeah, I think his calling out of other news organizations who are effectively acting as PR wings for the companies they cover is very much warranted. And I find Liana's martyrish defense of herself unconvincing. She and everyone responsible for the reporting at GI deserve this kind of backlash. Do better.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think his calling out of other news organizations who are effectively acting as PR wings for the companies they cover is very much warranted. And I find Liana's martyrish defense of herself unconvincing. She and everyone responsible for the reporting at GI deserve this kind of backlash. Do better.
They are not going to do better when you have people here defending her for attacking jason.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not pointing abuse in her direction. He's calling out GameInformer's reporting. He never even mentioned her name.

This isn't an attack on Liana Ruppert, it's just highlighting GI's irresponsible reporting. Liana Ruppert also has a massive platform and a responsibility to call out abusive practices in the industry she covers. Or at the very least, don't hand-waive those very valid concerns away and try to paint a rosier picture.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
They are not going to do better when you have people here defending her for attacking jason.

Believe me, I'm not in any way in favor of a journalist getting more hate than her coworkers just for being a woman, and that's a major problem as well. But that doesn't mean she shouldn't be held to account for her obviously biased reporting. And in her defenses of herself nowhere is anything explaining how they got it so wrong.

And Jason's tweet is dead on the money about GI, sorry.