• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
"We are rebels"

tenor.gif

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Investors got impatient probably.

or they were really high in the sky and thought that they have a hit on their hands which has to be released now, idk.

the only logical step would have been:cancelling base versions last year, putting effort on PC and next gen and releasing end of 2021 or even beginning of 2022 .

this game needs more than just bugfixing, AI, driving, combat, open world content, police system and much more are just bad. even april 2021 would have been too short considering the state of the game.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Been saying this whole time everyone in management gotta go. They fucked this up and its on them.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
PR Manager needs to be sailed down the river too. Was complicit in reassuring everything was alright for launch.

I mean, the game is playable enough on One X and PS4 Pro. I feel like the whole issue is getting diluted because people are obfuscating the actual broken games (base PS4/Xbox) with versions that are simply unpolished and not very good (Pro/PS5/One X/XSX). If the game ran as well as it does on PS4 and Xbone as it does on PS4 Pro/One X, just at a lower resolution, there wouldn't really be much of an issue beyond "this game could definitely use a few patches"

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Given the stock is so low, their talented developers are likely unhappy and wanting real change, and there's an easy reputational fix in clearing out the management team...

Surely they're ripe for a sale?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
There's been talk of wanting to delay this for a least a year, I wonder if they would even considering that in a perfect storm

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that's wild to realize: Even Anthem was never pulled from PSN.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Oof
Ouch
Eek
Welp
Pffff

Needed the full soundboard to get through this one.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Eh, Avengers lost money and Cyberpunk made shit tons of it. Also honestly I feel like once they (eventually) patch it up it'll generally still be viewed as a better game than Avengers.

It's not only bugs, many things they promised are missing. It's not an RPG, the AI isn't impressive, the city isn't "the most alive city ever", choices are ridiculous...

Avengers promised a superhero action game and delivered it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
These questions are absolutely brutal, totally deserved, and heartbreaking all the same.

I honestly hope anyone, whether they were influencers or just corporate cheerleaders, who insisted that either there was "no crunch," or that it's just "the way things are done," or that the devs actually "love it" because they're "proud of their work" do some serious introspection about what this hobby is like for the people inside. It takes some serious self-delusion to look at this reality and swallow any of those at face-value. It's completely vile that a few of those voices are/were higher-ups in the actual industry (George Broussard comes to mind). The Game Informer staff who played a disinformation game to the benefit of Cyberpunk marketing deserve the ire of their peers for poisoning their editorial credibility.

No one's going to always be right, but Schreier continues to shine an important sidelight (and bring the receipts) when it comes to this topic. If anyone has been attacking him for it (which I've seen plenty), they should really think about why that is, and who/what they're actually vouching for.

Oct 30, 2017
Although I enjoyed TW3 a good bit, I always treated my excitement with CP2077 with extreme caution.

Everything about the delays, the edge lord marketing, and lack of console information told me to stay away from this game and play it way after release.

Good on the developers taking a stand against management. The issues do seem to stem from the top.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Man what a shit show.
This is the wake up call the industry so badly needed.

I hope big publishers look at this and reflect on their own work.
I doubt it will have much of an impact.

They should have reigned in the scope of the game. Even outside of the performance issues, the game just feels barebones and screams cut content. I was looking into the vehicles earlier today and all the articles were mentioning that tuning and customization was going to be in the game, but got dropped.

They really needed like 6 months just to fix the performance of the game, but probably another year or more to get the content to a decent level.

Sad too, because with another year or two of development it could have been so much better of a title.

Some of those recovered though (not WWE)

It's because since the launch of last gen, games have set to a higher standard, especially with how much money put into them. Also MTX.

It's just insane this was announced a month before the PS4 announcement and the last gen was starting.

The thing with Cyberpunk is mostly that it got a lot more blowback before the game launched, basically digging their doom before they lit the match.

To be honest, if the game wasn't straight up broken on consoles I think the pre-launch backlash largely would have ended up like the Pokemon or The Last of Us 2 backlash unfortunately. But on the brightside maybe if they get rid of the people running the show in regards to development we could see some progress on the representation front as the company tries to repair their image.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Current gen version should've been delayed and launched alongside the next gen version when they're ready really. But nope, they want fast money.
Last gen versions should have been cancelled altogether. It's apparent they never really took last gen hardware into consideration when they developed the game. It's a classic case of "you can't have your cake and eat it too": You can't profit from the install base of PS4 and Xbox One when you don't develop your games around those platforms.

They should have delayed the game (including PC) until holiday 2021 to further iron out the game and get the next gen versions ready. The console user base would have only been ~30 mil or so, but that'd have still been enough for impressive day 1 sales and if Cyberpunk followed Witcher 3's trajection it would have enjoyed impressive and steady sales for the entire next generation.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
All of this has been fascinating to watch and what it tells me is that Microsoft made the right decision to take the heat for delaying Halo Infinite out a year after the reveal, rather than simply dropping onto the market just to launch with Series X. Sometimes, the hit to your reputation is worth more than the financial costs of a delay.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's not only bugs, many things they promised are missing. It's not an RPG, the AI isn't impressive, the city isn't "the most alive city ever", choices are ridiculous...

Avengers promised a superhero action game and delivered it.

They also never hide a platform version and even had a beta before release.

CDPR hide the console version to a point than ever reviews were embargoed after release.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
They set unrealistic deadlines, which sucks. But I wonder what took them 8 years to develop a game?

Again, it seems like the developers weren't managed efficiently at all. Setting unrealistic deadlines seems like the tip of the iceberg.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
This is going to be seen as one of the legendary gaming fuck ups. When was the last time we had a blunder of this magnitude in gaming? It's truly staggering how far they've fallen. Many were pitching these guys as the biggest company in gaming, the new industry powerhouse. They'll be lucky to even be around in 10 years at this rate.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The big thing to think about is why did they release in this state? because years of shitty releases taught them that more often than not you get away with it. Ubisoft, Bethesda, EA and others release games on a questionable base regularly.

the state of games day one was never worse than these days, too many companies go like "game is gold!" like a month or even 14 days before release and then there comes the big patching. just awful.

One thing I really don't understand after spending about 15 hours with the game so far (on PC) is… why did it take 7 years and so much crunch? …like what were they doing the whole time? Am I missing some key aspect in its design?

Probably pre planning/pre production from 2012-2017 before they actually built the game.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
One thing I really don't understand after spending about 15 hours with the game so far (on PC) is… why did it take 7 years and so much crunch? …like what were they doing the whole time? Am I missing some key aspect in its design?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The entire value of the company just dropped by 40 percent man.
Not saying it's not related to the current situation, it obviously is. But they were considerably overvalued. A company that has made only 4 games in total throughout its 24 year history (I'm aware they weren't developers originally) and has a (relatively speaking) small online store, having more valuation than Ubisoft was always kind of ridiculous and it was never going to maintain that, even with a successful launch. Just that it'd have taken some time for it to drop.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Not saying it's not related to the current situation, but they were considerably overvalued. A company that has made only 4 games in total throughout its 24 year history (I'm aware they weren't developers originally) and has a (relatively speaking) small online store having more valuation than Ubisoft was always kind of ridiculous.
This is also true absolutely

Oct 26, 2017
I get their frustration. When you crunch, and the product turns out great, you can use that greatness to say it was all worth it. When you crunch and it turns out like it did though.....it's killer to your morale.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a chance mass media could pick this up. Dumbing it down.
At a place like Bloomberg, the writers don't provide the headlines. This framing of a company is typical in actual real news sources.
Surely 'Cyberpunk Game Developer' is less... uncomfortable (to read), for lack of a better word. I dunno, 'Maker' just sounds kind of amateur imo. Anyway, its not that big a deal I just thought it was strange thats all haha

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean, the game is playable enough on One X and PS4 Pro. I feel like the whole issue is getting diluted because people are obfuscating the actual broken games (base PS4/Xbox) with versions that are simply unpolished and not very good (Pro/PS5/One X/XSX). If the game ran as well as it does on PS4 and Xbone as it does on PS4 Pro/One X, just at a lower resolution, there wouldn't really be much of an issue beyond "this game could definitely use a few patches"
I mean the game is crashing more frequently than once an hour for some even on PS5 lol. The last-gen consoles are bug-ridden messes with low framerates to boot. Looking to suggest the game was solid for launch on last-gen machines is laughable at this point.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Avengers lost money and Cyberpunk made shit tons of it. Also honestly I feel like once they (eventually) patch it up it'll generally still be viewed as a better game than Avengers.

Assassin's Creed Unity launched with technical issues and it hurt the sales of Assassin's Creed Syndicate. Just Cause 4 was a conmercial flop after Just Cause 3 launched with technical issues.

The money CD Projekt made is money they'll have lost at some point in the future. They, unlike EA, Ubisoft and Square Enix, have their all their eggs in one or two baskets.

It's a lot of marketing momentum and goodwill to lose with a franchise that was already punching above its weight in terms of ambition vs. recognition.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They set unrealistic deadlines, which sucks. But I wonder what took them 8 years to develop a game?

Again, it seems like the developers weren't managed efficiently at all. Setting unrealistic deadlines seems like the tip of the iceberg.
8 years since it was announced, not 8 years in dev. It was in pre production for a long time, but thats because CDPR was busy with TW3 and its expansions, until they were done did they start fully with Cyberpunk.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think a good amount of enthusiasts here could've seen this backlash coming when we noticed that last gen consoles were never shown. But to the degree that PSN straight up delisted it? Lol. CDPR seems like a clown show all around. Their management, their pr team and whoever thought it was a good idea to put in the suspect shit about trans people via their in-game ads (developers?)

Thank god Series X has been at least playable, but this is the biggest clusterfuck in awhile. A developer of this caliber, combined with the hype machine driving this game for the past 7 years.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Matt McMuscles right now:

cover5.jpg

I literally hear "Whu Happun" in my head whenever a game of notable size/hype falls on its face to a degree.

Last gen versions should have been cancelled altogether. It's apparent they never really took last gen hardware into consideration when they developed the game. It's a classic case of "you can't have your cake and eat it too": You can't profit from the install base of PS4 and Xbox One when you don't develop your games around those platforms.

The amount of trimming and optimization that was done to get the Witcher 3 to run on the switch must have been a massive undertaking. The amount of work that might need to be done for PS4/Xbox One (not the mid gen refreshes) must have been far, far higher to the point of having me wonder if it even was worth pursuing.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Just cancel the game, those question and answer are insane ! This is not going to finish well..... Pay all the employer at full with extra salary with bonus, and close.... just stop.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

If anything, the whole issue gets diluted because they waited till next gen release to have the game running somewhat ok. remember, this was planned as last gen game and the shitstorm would be even wilder when there were no next gen consoles this year. they delayed the game to fall into the next gen launch window, this is for sure.

despite that, they didn´t even have a native next gen version ready for the shiny new consoles. and the systems and bugs are still bad, regardless how it runs, even on high end PCs it is not great under the hood.

Oct 8, 2019

Just a reminder is that CDPR was doing trailers for this game back in 2013 despite it not being worked on until 2016

They announced a game that they had barely started working on and then tried to make a GTA killer in a time period of 3-4 years. No wonder the AI comes off like something from the PS2 era.

There's a reason why Square Enix didnt even try to compete with GTA with FF VII Remake, and thats because people are going to judge you based on GTA V.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As if the controversy before the launch wasn't enough. Feel bad for all the developers.
I'd wish for a big management shakeup but I guess nothing will happen.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Biggest blunder, this or Avengers?

I mean atleast CP made back its budget...
I was thinking a lot about this the last few days.
I think Avengers dominated the headlines because of its "brand power". When you have a big stinky turd like that, its easy to take notice.
Now that Cyberpunk blew in, I think everyone just kind of forgot Avengers, especially since the news of this game blew the Kate launch completely out of the headlines.

Which is probably both good and bad for Avengers and Squeenix.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
What a week it has been for CDPR.

Though they deserve it. My thoughts go towards all the employees who had to endure (and will continue to) all this shit brought by the sheer incompetence of higher ups.