• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
They do though . Clock has not much to do with yields of a chip

They already mentioned lower yield as reason why price for the chip is high.

Lower yield is part and parcel of having a bigger chip as you fit fewer on a wafer. This image doesn't suggest any issues at all, just the reality of making bigger SOCs.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And, there are rumours that there will be some RDNA 2 cards with clocks as high as the PS5.

If that's true....this can't be as big an issue as some think. Right?
Again I don't think clock has anything to do with yields. Ms also cited low yields as a reason for xsx chip cost to be high . It mostly production related and effected by covid and the node .

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
And, there are rumours that there will be some RDNA 2 cards with clocks as high as the PS5.

If that's true....this can't be as big an issue as some think. Right?
We don't know. I don't see how they can produce even 11mil units of they still had a 50% yield. I would guess they might have had that on earlier runs but have gotten it much higher since. However it sounds like it is still lower then they want.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I hope they increase their prices to 599 if they have limited stock. There's less likely to be scalpers and I will have an easier time getting it if it was 599. I still think sony would sell out of the 11 million at 599 so it's a win-win. People who really want the console can still buy it without having to deal with the hassle of fighting over it and Sony still sells out their initial shipment. Then after March when yields improve they can drop it to 499 and sell it to people who weren't willing to jump in at 599.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lower yield is part and parcel of having a bigger chip as you fit fewer on a wafer. This image doesn't suggest any issues at all, just the reality of making bigger SOCs.
Sure could be .we don't know for certain . they mentioned lower yield as a part of reason . Many variables are there and one being higher cu number especially if the yield is node related that would also effect higher cu count yield

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Sure could be .we don't know for certain . they mentioned lower yield as a part of reason . Many variables are there and one being higher cu number especially if the yield is node related .

Could be issues, could be size, could be something else entirely, but that image doesn't tell us which, and it doesn't suggest Microsoft are experiencing similar issues as to what's being reported here.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting a PS5 if it's the last thing I do
driving-a-car-off-a-jump-and-landing-on-a-flying-cargo-plane--95718.gif

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
He is like the two face of the forum its hilarious lol i honestly dont know which version of him we are going to get every time there is news between either console bad or good lol

lol, right.

Those of us that's been in the speculation threads are used to this.

Folks, don't read too much into it....😁
We don't know. I don't see how they can produce even 11mil units of they still had a 50% yield. I would guess they might have had that on earlier runs but have gotten it much higher since. However it sounds like it is still lower then they want.
Yeah, guess we just wait. Will be very interesting once RDNA 2 cards finally come out and get in ppl's hands.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they increase their prices to 599 if they have limited stock. There's less likely to be scalpers and I will have an easier time getting it if it was 599. I still think sony would sell out of the 11 million at 599 so it's a win-win. People who really want the console can still buy it without having to deal with the hassle of fighting over it and Sony still sells out their initial shipment. Then after March when yields improve they can drop it to 499 and sell it to people who weren't willing to jump in at 599.
Believe me understand the sentiment, but its still shity to want the console to be more expensive JUST to leave people with less money out lol.

I remember my college had a more expensive store, so it would be emptier for the teachers.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Again I don't think clock has anything to do with yields. Ms also cited low yields as a reason for xsx chip cost to be high . It mostly production related and effected by covid and the node .

Yeah, I just saw your other post.

That was something I think most ppl overlooked. Most just focused on it costing more.

Sia

Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
Believe me understand the sentiment, but its still sity to want the console to be more expensive JUST to leave people with less money out lol.

I remember my college had a more expensive store, so it would be emptier for the teachers.
If they price it too low then the scalpers will be the ones that make all the money anyways and people who still want it will be priced out regardless.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yield would be a known figure when they started mass production. That was back in June. Any plans related to yield would have been changed before then. Including respins.

Yeah I don't understand how they decided to increase production from 6 million to 10 million for 2020 then reach 15 million if they were only hitting 50% yields after they started made production.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I don't understand how they decided to increase production from 6 million to 10 million for 2020 then reach 15 million if they were only hitting 50% yields after they started made production.
because its not just hitting 50 % key words here " production yields as low as 50% for its SOC"
so 50% is the lowest they have been getting but it does not mean its the only yield percentage if it was they would have way way less to produce.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
because its not just hitting 50 % key words here " production yields as low as 50% for its SOC"
so 50% is the lowest they have been getting but it does not mean its the only yield percentage if it was they would have way way less to produce.

Well that's what I'm getting at they couldn't still be at 50% if they increased production targets or if it's the opposite and the yields are now dropping to 50% that would suggest a manufacturing issue to me.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Don't you see the PR disaster that is lowering the price by 100$ less than 5 months after release?

Scalpers will always be there, be 499 or 599, and stores can always apply measurements like 1 preorder per person. The last thing Sony wants is another PS3 situation.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
The Xbox Series X die is (slightly) smaller than the OG Xbox One and Xbox One X.

Slightly bigger than the One X from a quick google, but not by much.

But fair point, it still doesn't mean that the slide highlighted points at issues with yields, lower yields might just be a side-effect of the more complex tech being used.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its an enormous amount. Ps4 was 6m.

And shit was sold out at release in the UK & USA at the very least. The amount of people gaming and with disposable income has only now increased, for reference, I was a broke ass student back then and now have a steady income, 90s kids (who grew up when home gaming started becoming more popular) have that purchase at release money now. 100% this thing will be going for £100+ its release price on ebay etc. due to supply not meeting demand.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
pretty much all the FUD we heard about the ps5 has come to be true. i remember hearing about hot ps5 earlier this year as well. i have stayed strong and dismissed everything as fud but the hits keep on coming.

at this point, im inclined to believe everything. lets not forget that this was sony's turn to mess things up after a successful gen. it happens to everyone. they were aiming for a $399 box, went for a cheaper and smaller SOC, had to call an audible and that increase in clocks ended up coming back to haunt them. i seriously cannot even fathom a 50% failure rate. this is going to be passed on to the consumers because there is no way sony is taking an extra $100 loss on top of the $100 loss they are most likely going to be taking.

this bizarre focus on ssd over tflops never sit right with me either. seriously, who is gonna use that ssd except for first party devs? was that really worth all this?

i guess we will find out tomorrow if the cost is too high, but now im in the $499-599 camp. best case scenario, we get sub $500 consoles but you cant just hide the losses from a 50% yield rate. that basically means their cheaper $100 chip is actually $200. effectively increasing the BOM by a $100. if sony eats that today, expect higher prices on first party games, and a higher ps+ sub.
I think you need to relax, lol. I've never seen a more the sky is falling post.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Well that's what I'm getting at they couldn't still be at 50% if they increased production targets or if it's the opposite and the yields are now dropping to 50% that would suggest a manufacturing issue to me.
Yields can be as low as 30%, hitting at 50% isnt catastrophic its just now they would need to see what can bump the yields up and rectify it, if they were saying less than half of the wafer was usable id be more alarmed than pretty much half, so just says they need a bit more time to figure out what production variations are causing the 50% yield. I think its fine. and we dont even know yields are mad secretive anyway so no idea if its the opposite or they are going up.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
And shit was sold out at release in the UK & USA at the very least. The amount of people gaming and with disposable income has only now increased, for reference, I was a broke ass student back then and now have a steady income, 90s kids (who grew up when home gaming started becoming more popular) have that purchase at release money now. 100% this thing will be going for £100+ its release price on ebay etc. due to supply not meeting demand.

Even worse. In wide parts of Europe you didn't see a single PS4 in stores until end of March 2014. Every single one they received had already been sold during the pre-order period in early 2013. Ebay prices were as high as 1000€ and people bought them.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this panel threw me off. I thought for sure that meant XSX was going to be far more expensive than the x1x.

i guess despite the higher chip costs they were somehow able to hit their pricepoint.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
pretty much all the FUD we heard about the ps5 has come to be true. i remember hearing about hot ps5 earlier this year as well. i have stayed strong and dismissed everything as fud but the hits keep on coming.

at this point, im inclined to believe everything. lets not forget that this was sony's turn to mess things up after a successful gen. it happens to everyone. they were aiming for a $399 box, went for a cheaper and smaller SOC, had to call an audible and that increase in clocks ended up coming back to haunt them. i seriously cannot even fathom a 50% failure rate. this is going to be passed on to the consumers because there is no way sony is taking an extra $100 loss on top of the $100 loss they are most likely going to be taking.

this bizarre focus on ssd over tflops never sit right with me either. seriously, who is gonna use that ssd except for first party devs? was that really worth all this?

i guess we will find out tomorrow if the cost is too high, but now im in the $499-599 camp. best case scenario, we get sub $500 consoles but you cant just hide the losses from a 50% yield rate. that basically means their cheaper $100 chip is actually $200. effectively increasing the BOM by a $100. if sony eats that today, expect higher prices on first party games, and a higher ps+ sub.
tenor.gif

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Usual suspects in here trying to go "Sony is doomed". Console wars never change

If the roles were reversed and this had came out for MS there would be a shit show in here. Its been relatively calm with people discussing it in good faith (on the whole) in my opinion. its FAAAAR more reasonable than your average Gamepass/xbox naming issues/wifi6...etc threads of late

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you need to relax, lol. I've never seen a more the sky is falling post.
i saw one just yesterday in OT. (Global warming)

New beaches will be created, further inland, don't worry.

Just don't expect to have a existing system of tourism and infrastructure to actually visit those beaches as nations collapse in the coming resource wars as countries fight over a increasingly diminishing amount of fertile land. Countries with already straining amounts of population going into full chaos and infighting. Nations turning on each other blaming each and everyone else for the ecological catastrophe. A full global shutdown as satellites are destroyed in a bid to win the information war before it is too late. Some countries being obliterated as they launch nuclear weapons on each other as tensions boil over.

War. Famine. Disease spreading unchecked. Humanity standing at the brink of death at a knives edge before tumbling over into a new dark age never seen.

And then silence for hundreds, if not thousands, of years, as possible remnants of humanity that still lives gather the little pieces left and either kill each other off or, with a bit of luck, rebuild into something better. That or just start another cycle that will end the same after a few millennia with no lessons learnt.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Even worse. In wide parts of Europe you didn't see a single PS4 in stores until end of March 2014. Every single one they received had already been sold during the pre-order period in early 2013. Ebay prices were as high as 1000€ and people bought them.

And this is why increasing prices as a measurements against scalpers does nothing (just using the example you posted).

Anyways, although I'm sure PS5 will have shortages too and you'll probably not get one without a preorder till next year, let's not forget that the PS4 was cheaper, not only cheaper than PS5 but also cheaper than their rival, with the Xbox One costing 100€ more. Also the One came from a huge PR disaster that even took the head of Mattrick. Basically the PS4 had the perfect scenario to be an incredible success.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Bloomberg:
Sony aimed to produce 5 million to 6 million PS5 units by the end of March 2021.

Bloomberg:
Sony have doubled the production from 5-6 to 10 million.

Bloomberg:
Sony have dropped production from 15 million to 11 million until March 2021.

Wut.

So they raised production by another million, after they already doubled it... but they failed to triple it. Mass production just doesn't change that fast. Assembly lines are built for a volume. Procurement is negotiated 6-9 months in advance from a hundreds of suppliers. It cannot adapt so quickly.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, isn't that still a lot of units?

Yeah you won't find one on every shelf but I'm sure if you look you'll be able to find one or at least IMO that's how it'll be. I'm going to have a way easier time getting this compared to an SNES Classic some years ago, hell probably the same compared to getting my Wii.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
this panel threw me off. I thought for sure that meant XSX was going to be far more expensive than the x1x.

i guess despite the higher chip costs they were somehow able to hit their pricepoint.

It says in that same slide they added the HW Engines/accelerators to mitigate against the increased wafer/die costs. Hence the overall cost per chip is broadly similar to Scorpio so $499 again.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Bloomberg:
Sony aimed to produce 5 million to 6 million PS5 units by the end of March 2021.

Bloomberg:

Bloomberg:

Wut.

So they raised production by another million, after they already doubled it.

The first Bloomberg article was a little strange.
It said 5-6 million by the end of March.
But then it said the new numbers were 5 million by the end of September and 10 million by the end of December (which would put 15 million by the end of March.).

Sony had previously aimed to produce 5 million to 6 million PS5 units by the end of March 2021, Bloomberg News has reported.
Contradicting the "doubling" in the article a few paragraphs later:
Sony began PS5 mass production in June and, under the latest plan, expects to assemble 5 million units by the end of September and another 5 million between October and December

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

Clocks absolutely affect yields since not every die is gonna hit the clocks you want in the voltage range that your cooling is specced at.

I don't see how we've gone from

to
It's not like Ryan would ever make it seem like anything isn't going according to plan while in PR mode, but the other thing to keep in mind is, that 50% figure is about how bad the yields were at some point and they have improved since. How well? I guess we'll never know any time soon, but they must have improved well enough that it's still realistic to expect the prices Bloomberg is expecting AND that they're still on track to ship the biggest console launch even if it fell below their initial plan.

Bloomberg:

Bloomberg:

Bloomberg:

Wut.

So they raised production by another million, after they already doubled it... but they failed to triple it. Mass production just doesn't change that fast. Assembly lines are built for a volume. Procurement is negotiated 6-9 months in advance from a hindred suppliers. It just doesn't move that fast.
That also raises questions. Maybe Bloomberg's source is just that much behind on info.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
As a layman, all of this is quite fascinating, and scary in a way, a lot can go wrong in building and launching these consoles. It must be very stressful and exhausting for everyone involved, even more so for those who work in factories and assembly lines. 😟

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
You think the GPU in PS4 Pro, 1X and SX run at 4.6TF, 6TF and 12TF respectively all the time? They're all dynamic lol, based on how much voltage is applied and how many CUs are in action. The number is peak performance, and it changes for everyone, even fixed clock chips. There's no such thing as dynamic teraflops.
No. WTF are you talking about?

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Bloomberg:

Bloomberg:

Bloomberg:

Wut.

So they raised production by another million, after they already doubled it... but they failed to triple it. Mass production just doesn't change that fast. Assembly lines are built for a volume. Procurement is negotiated 6-9 months in advance from a hundreds of suppliers. It cannot adapt so quickly.

Yeah it seems like Bloomberg has been kinda doing the rollercoaster by themselves while Sony hasn't announced anything.
I guess that once prices are out they'll be able to talk about forecasts and expected sales/demand officially.
11m by March would still be unprecedented for a Sony launch. I'm not even sure how they could go from 5 to 15m??? Based on what?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm certainly not adamant - I think they will both be $500 - but I see the argument, it's pretty clear:
- More expensive cooling system
- More expensive SSD (maybe)
- Bigger, more expensive case and packaging
- More expensive controller
- More expensive other features like Wifi 6

It's certainly possible those things outweigh the (presumably) less expensive SOC.
Xbox memory setup is also more expensive.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
How does it compare with PS4 launch production in same timeframe?

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami

These laughing posts. I get snake is dramatic and all but did he really make any outrageous predictions? A $500-$600 price point has been talked about by many, just recently does it seem like Sony might match Xbox. Higher priced first party games, every one is probably going $70 so that's not crazy. Higher priced PS+, that's an obvious one, of course services go up in price.