• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering what value this will have for consumers here in Australia, because streaming games is just not possible for most of us

Even with my excellent Internet, Playstation streaming is quite frankly unplayable. In theory it wouldn't be too bad for like, turn based games or something, but anyone sensitive to lag is gonna have a bad time.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Redfall and Starfield are in sight, unless you meant in the next two months. Then you are right, Xbox has once more nothing for the first half. I hope they can fix that at some point.
There's no need to hope. MS publisher/studio acquisitions will have fixed that. Remember if it wasn't for the Sony deals already in place, Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo would've likely been Xbox/Windows PC exclusives and day one launches on Gamepass.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Maybe another indie push? Alongside some heavy hitter from third party day1 or slightly later. I am with you on a 6 month time period and could see PS Studios games, not necessarily all, following that rule after Sony experimented and tried different timeframes as well as differ their approach per type of game... For example MP games earlier and SP games later.
I think it will be slightly more than the usual indie push, they can focus on the service as a singular seervice after it launches comapred to say splitting games between now or plus, or moving games around.
For MP games, the industry has moed towards battling for users time and attention and reducing barriers of entry as much as possible (f2p), any MP game not dropping day one on the service or day 1 on PC even seems like wasted opportunity to me.
I think as you mentioned right now content is key and cloud gaming nice to have for services such as Gamepass or Now. Having said that I do wonder if Sony will announce a extension of the cloud offering to more countries with Spartacus. Not necessarily at the date of Spartacus launch, but essentially telling consumers they can expect cloud gaming 6 months from now in country X, Y and Z.
Yup, this seem like a reasonable move to make.
I do believe sony is big on sony as they had made investment (gakai) way early in the sector, they just never developed much, wisely so? seeing how cloud scaling could be quite difficult and going with azure.

I wouldn't put it past Sony to go 180$ honestly. For the highest tier that is.
Sony has always been very price sensitive, i think they might want to undercut especially if the service comes with some caveat unlike GP.
Hopefully this is announced soon so we can move on to the next round of speculations lol

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has always been very price sensitive, i think they might want to undercut especially if the service comes with some caveat unlike GP.
Hopefully this is announced soon so we can move on to the next round of speculations lol

They used to be price sensitive, I wouldn't say they are anymore.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
MS can have all the warchest they want, but fact of the matter is Xbox is profitable and the division is covering the cost of GP for years now. Is Gamepass loosing money? Likely. Is Microsoft able to take more risk? Sure. Is Gamepass burning the chest of a trillion dollar company? No.

Redfall and Starfield are in sight, unless you meant in the next two months. Then you are right, Xbox has once more nothing for the first half. I hope they can fix that at some point.
I agree with you on all points. I was just stating that gamepass is filling the gaps for lack of new first party content when usually there should be noise. The first half is the extremely dry first party wise and nobody seems to care. Years ago that would be a problem but it's just a sign that the industry and consumer habits are changing.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I personally feel like I'd be somewhat pissed if the service I've been paying for for years is suddenly just the cheapest tier they offer. Like others have said, at least it being the middle-tier makes more sense.
It would depend on what the service is though.

If the service they have been providing doesn't change on the tier you are on and that is the basic tier, what is the problem?

I have been subbed to plus since day 1 and if they add additional tiers that add content or services I am interested in, I wouldn't have a problem with those additional tiers being priced higher because that makes sense.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I personally feel like I'd be somewhat pissed if the service I've been paying for for years is suddenly just the cheapest tier they offer. Like others have said, at least it being the middle-tier makes more sense.
It doesn't make sense to me, they're not losing anything. They're still getting what they've been paying for.

They're basically just adding PS Now as an upper tier. I'd be more concerned if I was a PS Now subscriber, as now I'd likely be paying more for the same service (at least if I didn't have PS+ for some reason).

It feels like you're arguing that PS+ subscribers would be upset they're not getting PS Now for free, even though they always had the option of paying for it.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

I'd imagine some sort of incentive to upgrade the tiers but not a straight conversion to an upper tier without any input. Gold subs didn't convert automatically to GP subs, even with the $1 conversion method available. Something similar but less generous is my guess.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
My expectations are rock bottom. No back compat of any kind not even new ps2 on ps4 games. No ps1. Just organizing what they already have into a retro section. I actually expect them to remove ps3 streaming. I expect a rebrand only but one that means you can no longer buy ps now alone seperate from ps+ so actually just worse overall. If my expectations a rock bottom then I can't get dissapointed.

Anything positive about this Spartacus rebrand would have leaked and nothing concrete has leaked so...

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This! I really hope we see all of the PlayStation 1-2 Classics that were on the PlayStation 3 Store end up on there.

Shameless plug: I hope it eventually gets Silent Hill (PlayStation 1), the PlayStation 2 versions of Silent Hill 2-3 (replacing the HD Collection), the PlayStation 1 Resident Evil games, Forbidden Siren 2, the PlayStation 2 versions of Grand Theft Auto, the Fatal Frame series, and the Dead Space games.

I think this is meant to expand into being the PlayStation equivalent of Game Pass and it's supposed to include Crunchy Roll/Funimation as well.
Yeah, I'd love to see all of them on here, PS3 had a seriously fantastic selection of PS1/2 games. I'd also to see all of the games you mentioned show up, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for the PS2 versions of the GTA games. Rockstar already removed the PS4 PS2 Classics versions of the games due to wanting to sell the Definitive Edition, and they would have to sign off on another re-release of the PS2 versions, unfortunately.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I think to make this new service compelling they should put older ps5 first party titles on there like Retunal, Sackboy, and Demons Souls along with classic/indie/3rd party content. The relatively new huge sp titles would be absent but over time they could selectively debut first party gaas titles to make the service interesting. They should make these decisions on a title by title basis. That would get ppl to subscribe to the highest tier but my expectations are low so I don't expect this to happen. They should start out by debuting Chrono Cross remastered on sparticus.

Last edited:

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
I... am not so sure they will even have PS1, or PSP stuff on this service. i think its gonna be the ps2 stuff already available...

Yep. Think there is going to be quite a bit of disappointment when this is revealed and isn't quite on the level of Xbox Game Pass and Xbox BC. I'm expecting a merging of PS Plus and Now (with some improvements on the backend) and that's about it.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

Wrench

Jan 19, 2022
I wonder if there will be any appealing aspect to Spartacus to PC-only consumers. Most speculation seems like there won't be as PS Now will essentially get a price hike with this reorganization.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

I don't find that logical at all. if you are paying the same amount, and everything is the same, then what difference does it make? I don't know, I don't get why it would be a bother. Now if they nerfed it hard, then yes, be annoyed. But if it is exactly the same, it makes zero difference.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I... am not so sure they will even have PS1, or PSP stuff on this service. i think its gonna be the ps2 stuff already available...
I would trust Jason Schreier that there is going to be PS1 and PSP games.

Yep. Think there is going to be quite a bit of disappointment when this is revealed and isn't quite on the level of Xbox Game Pass and Xbox BC. I'm expecting a merging of PS Plus and Now (with some improvements on the backend) and that's about it.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

I would not expect performance enhancements or being able to put in a PS2 disc, but an expanded library seems like a safe expectation.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't find that logical at all. if you are paying the same amount, and everything is the same, then what difference does it make? I don't know, I don't get why it would be a bother. Now if they nerfed it hard, then yes, be annoyed. But if it is exactly the same, it makes zero difference.

Thank you. Nothing changes for you if all you want is Plus.

Between this and some ppl saying it will be backlash if they dont grandfather ppl into the highest tier...even if you didnt have PSNow ....is weird..

If we wanna keep using MS and Game Pass as an example, MS didnt do that. Yeah, they still have the $1 deal going but still.

If you dont know about how to maximize the $1 deal....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything on what this might offer PS4 owners? Looking to get a ps5 this summer but my ps+ has lapses and wondering if I should reup that or wait to see what this does for the meantime

Feb 16, 2022
Can't quote all who replied to my post since I'm on mobile and it's too much of a hassle; But I guess I just don't want to feel locked out of the higher tiers if there's no easy and cheaper upgrade path. PS Plus has felt a bit expensive for a while with how they cut down on monthly games, so suddenly being considered the cheapest tier while I've felt like I've been paying premium for years just would kinda suck.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
My expectations are rock bottom. No back compat of any kind not even new ps2 on ps4 games. No ps1. Just organizing what they already have into a retro section. I actually expect them to remove ps3 streaming. I expect a rebrand only but one that means you can no longer buy ps now alone seperate from ps+ so actually just worse overall. If my expectations a rock bottom then I can't get dissapointed.

Anything positive about this Spartacus rebrand would have leaked and nothing concrete has leaked so...
As it should be. I hope people aren't expecting the equivalent of Game Pass for PlayStation because it's not happening. My expectations are a combined service of Now and Plus with some small added benefits. If they manage to pull of PS3 emulation then I'm in no doubt.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Combining PSNow and PS+ is what I expect.

Adding a bunch of indie games to the service is what I hope for. (Not Day 1 indies, I don't expect that. But I'd really like the indie library to grow.)

KoopDogg1

Dec 22, 2021
Canada
As someone who only uses their PS5 for Sony's first party games, I'm having a hard time seeing the value in this for my tastes and am going to wait and see.

Because we can't expect first party day and date, I have my fingers crossed that they offer discounts on new releases for members.

Horizon cost me over $100 Canadian for the standard version.

There are so many new and great games coming out that I don't have the interest or time to play old games.

The oldest games I've played through Game Pass have been Prey, Dishonored, Halo: MCC and Fight Night Champion. Very limited.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
As it should be. I hope people aren't expecting the equivalent of Game Pass for PlayStation because it's not happening. My expectations are a combined service of Now and Plus with some small added benefits. If they manage to pull of PS3 emulation then I'm in no doubt.

Temper expectations obviously, but I do expect a decent bump in titles landing in the new service. No idea about BC. They've been expanding their subscription services team quite a bit, and call it out themselves. One of the listings for reference: https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentglobal/jobs/4383466004

The Customer team are on a growth journey – the business is putting more and more emphasis on tracking, understanding, and influencing how customers engage with our platform, benefits and products. We're expanding our team significantly, and we want you to help us with that journey.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
The lack of leaks and specifics about extended BC makes me extreme sceptical that we will see anything that is not currently on PS Now. If Sony is setting up deals with publishers to release a bunch of old games via a new service surely someone would have talked by now, right? Almost everything in this industry leaks.

Hoping I am wrong!

There were leaks when this was leaked initially a few months back.

Oct 30, 2017
I really am not formulating an opinion until we get more details and the official announcement.

I really hope Sony is working on moving away from PS3 streaming and making a native playable option.
Give us a robust catalog of older games to play natively with the option to stream.

A revamped PS+ and PS Now with a way wider selection and a few other things? For say 100-120 a year? That'd be a great deal.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I really am not formulating an opinion until we get more details and the official announcement.

I really hope Sony is working on moving away from PS3 streaming and making a native playable option.
Give us a robust catalog of older games to play natively with the option to stream.

A revamped PS+ and PS Now with a way wider selection and a few other things? For say 100-120 a year? That'd be a great deal.

Are downloadable PS3 games possible on PS5? It has a similar architecture to PS4 (whatever that means) so I guess not.

Siam Shade

Jun 1, 2018
Whatever Spartacus may be, I won't care at all without a proper release support in my country (Brazil), which still today there is none for PSNow. So Sony has an issue for their plans if they don't focus worldwide.

Last edited:

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
if the leak is legit... bronze is enough for me. Monthly games mostly sucks and cloud gaming sucks too

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Are downloadable PS3 games possible on PS5? It has a similar architecture to PS4 (whatever that means) so I guess not.
Yeah, it's theoretically possible but if they did have native PS3 downloads planned then we would've heard about a new emulator being added in the last major software update a few days ago.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
RPCS3 can run on inferior hardware than the PS5 and that is made by hobbyist who don't have access to PS3 source code not a $150b company. Emulation should work great on PS5 but it would have to be evaluated on a game-by-game basis.

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
if the leak is legit... bronze is enough for me. Monthly games mostly sucks and cloud gaming sucks too

Yeah the bronze tier sounds great, but I don't fully believe the rumor.
Isn't gold tier pretty much the "normal ps plus" (without the game demos) except that it's like ... almost 3 times as expensive?

I mean corporate greed is a thing, but that sounds way too much? Maybe I'm missing something tho.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't gold tier pretty much the "normal ps plus" (without the game demos) except that it's like ... 4 times as expensive?

I mean corporal greed is a thing, but that sounds way too much? Maybe I'm missing something tho.

well based on current sony i believe those prices sadly

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Bronze would be it for me too.

Depends on what other streaming perks are part of the highest tier tho. I've been doing Remote Play since the PS3. So I'm used to that experience.

Cloud gaming....after trying PSNow, its cool. But overall not my thing.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't gold tier pretty much the "normal ps plus" (without the game demos) except that it's like ... almost 3 times as expensive?

I mean corporal greed is a thing, but that sounds way too much? Maybe I'm missing something tho.
Am I missing a new rumor?

PS+ is currently $10 on a monthly basis.
The top tier is rumored to add PS Now for $6 more, among other things.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

To add to this, most aren't even factoring in what an annual sub could be.

That's one reason why I said I'm patiently waiting on the price to be revealed.

Again, since Game Pass will continue to be used in comparisons, xcloud is only part of GPU.

After you get past first party exclusives day one....the comparisons become more interesting.

Last edited:

occ86

Oct 30, 2017

Huh, been a while since buying PS Plus since I bought 3 years worth of it almost three years ago.
Thought it was 60 Euro a year, but seems like I was wrong. My mistake then!

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Huh, been a while since buying PS Plus since I bought 3 years worth of it almost three years ago.
Thought it was 60 Euro a year, but seems like I was wrong. My mistake then!

It's both $60 a year, and $10 a month. There's a steep discount for the yearly subscription.

Biggest concern I would have as a PS+ subscriber is if they remove the yearly option.