• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Hoping that these PS Classics at least include the Ace Combat games and the MGS games and not some lackluster selection as it's the case on PS Now.

I wonder what will happen for the 10 Bethesda games that were on PS Now and on the PS+ Collection for years, if the contracts have to be reworked for whatever reason.
If PS now is being absorbed into a new service I imagine all existing contracts will need re-negotiating, and any Bethesda games that were on there wont be coming back.

…Game Pass is about to get a LOT of Activision games
To be fair until the acquisition goes through theres nothing preventing sony from dealing with activision and getting games on their services i dont think.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I absolutely agree.

Some of us just wanting them combined might have posted in that thread, lol.

One of my biggest wants is happening: just combining them, keeping the current Plus as the bottom tier.
The one biggest benefit for those that sub to both service.... NO MORE OVERLAP. This has been the biggest downside over the last 2 years when they tried to make Now more appealing. The games would eventually be former Plus games, or Plus would get former Now games. This is a huge benefit.

I smell 3 tiers, 1st being Ps Plus how it is now. 2nd tier you get most of Now catalog minus the streaming feature. 3rd tier is streaming, and added PS1/PS2 titles. It also will mark PS5 titles hitting the service, but literally expect like 5 at best lol.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
By combining both services, and leaving the streaming to the highest tier, the downloadable piece can now finally reach countries that don't have Now currently. Of course this just limits the service to PS4 generation and (if they ever add it) PS5 catalog. Wishful thinking on my part.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already have Now & Plus so hopefully they throw me a bone and automatically upgrade me to the highest tier.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited to see how this turns out. Hopefully it's a great rival to Game Pass.

To be fair until the acquisition goes through theres nothing preventing sony from dealing with activision and getting games on their services i dont think.

Could do but I'd imagine Microsoft would just outbid Sony on any deal knowing they'll most likely get the money back.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
As a Plus and Now subscriber, looking forward to renewed investment into the services. They've both been decent over the years, just need renewed focus.

Even without new day 1 first party games, Sony has a pretty killer back catalogue and their services library should be really great. With as many games there are in these libraries, who really cares about day 1 stuff as long as their games eventually land in the service permanently.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Maybe, however Activision is definitely starting to act like they're about to get acquired by Xbox. For example, starting next month Activision will publish Call of Duty in Japan, it's always been PlayStation. So maybe they'll act to ensure that Microsoft stays happy, even if Microsoft can't directly control them.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
It's gonna be a terrible value like the Nintendo Expansion pass, paying to own absolutely nothing.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope they invest in their Retro catalog and they're NOT locked into streaming only for ps1, ps2, and ps3 games.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Maybe, however Activision is definitely starting to act like they're about to get acquired by Xbox. For example, starting next month Activision will publish Call of Duty in Japan, it's always been PlayStation. So maybe they'll act to ensure that Microsoft stays happy, even if Microsoft can't directly control them.
Isnt it that legally they cant be influenced by MS? So I cant imagine they would turn down one last sack of cash from Sony if offered.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I am mostly interested in the pricing of the tiers and if there is any (unrealistic) surprise like PS1-3 BC. Let's see.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
so the Sony version won't have any PC features which is a big disadvantage compared to Game Pass

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Isnt it that legally they cant be influenced by MS? So I cant imagine they would turn down one last sack of cash from Sony if offered.
I mean if they just say "no, we're about to get acquired" then legally that can be an issue. But, even Game Pass hasn't really had a lot of Activision games (if any), so they could just as easily deny them.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
This is wrong. They can't sign any deal they want which would alter the company Microsoft wants to acquire. Activision can't sign their whole catalog to Sony for a subscription service while the acquisition is pending.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really curious to see the details on this. I've never tried game streaming, mostly because of my isp, but the back catalogue of older systems sounds really cool. I hope they have an upgrade path for Plus subs like Xbox does.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like it like this:

PSOne library (including all 1st party)
PS2 library (including all 1st party)
PS3 library (including all 1st party)
PS4 library (including all 1st party)
PS5 library (First party PS5 titles 3 months after launch)
Timed game trials of all games
Online multiplayer
Cloud saves
All games available to download or stream, user choice
Regular discounts on PS Store
No more free monthly titles

I'd be down for that.

Jan 4, 2018
Is there a possibility of the expansion of "exclusivity" from certain publishers. As of right now, no Activision games have been made available on Game Pass. Is there a possibility that Spartacus launches with Activision games to show the difference between Game Pass and the new service?

Putting their games on subscription services doesn't seem to fit at all Activision's current strategy (as an independant publisher). Those numbers are quite telling.

Could change with Spartacus but I doubt there will be much support from Activision (if any).

They put only 2 games on subscription services so far (Black Ops III (for whatever reason the COD 2015 game was chosen) on the PS+ Collection and I couldn't find the 2nd game.

Activision has also put a lot of efforts remastering and selling games from their legacy library (Crash, Spyro, Tony's Hawk, Call of Duty, Diablo...).

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

We don't really know the terms of the acquisition agreement are.

At the bare minimum I imagine Activision aren't allowed to sell off assets before the deal closes or falls through.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

It's a weird one where must behave in the best interest of the shareholders and without Microsoft influence, but they also can't change the company in a way that would fundamentally change the business from what Microsoft agreed to buy. That plus, I'm not sure anyone at Activision really wants to be the person who tells Microsoft they sold the rights to Sony after the deal was announced. Because the deal is public, there is that soft power in place.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a deal place for Activision on Spartacus which was singed before the Microsoft deal. Activision and Sony have been good buddies going back a good bit now and Spartacus has been in the works for a long while. If this was the case, yeah it wouldn't legal for Activision to sink that agreement just to please their future.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
I mean if they just say "no, we're about to get acquired" then legally that can be an issue. But, even Game Pass hasn't really had a lot of Activision games (if any), so they could just as easily deny them.
Sure I just dont see why they would if offered is all.
This is wrong. They can't sign any deal they want which would alter the company Microsoft wants to acquire. Activision can't sign their whole catalog to Sony for a subscription service while the acquisition is pending.
Wouldnt that only be if the deal prevents MS from putting their games on their own service even after the acquisition is expected to complete? If they dont do anything like that I dont think its altering the company.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I just dont see why they would if offered is all.

Wouldnt that only be if the deal prevents MS from putting their games on their own service even after the acquisition is expected to complete? If they dont do anything like that I dont think its altering the company.
In that case, I'm not too sure but I doubt Activision would make any new deals that would be against Microsoft's interests since that will be their new parent company very soon. I think someone already mentioned but they even took over the publishing of Call of Duty in Japan from Sony this month so I doubt they'll do any new deals imo.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
It's a weird one where must behave in the best interest of the shareholders and without Microsoft influence, but they also can't change the company in a way that would fundamentally change the business from what Microsoft agreed to buy. That plus, I'm not sure anyone at Activision really wants to be the person who tells Microsoft they sold the rights to Sony after the deal was announced. Because the deal is public, there is that soft power in place.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a deal place for Activision on Spartacus which was singed before the Microsoft deal. Activision and Sony have been good buddies going back a good bit now and Spartacus has been in the works for a long while. If this was the case, yeah it wouldn't legal for Activision to sink that agreement just to please their future.
This is a good point. If they have made a deal it wouldnt have been in the last few months before launch, it will have been done a long time ago most likely.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
In that case, I'm not too sure but I doubt Activision would make any new deals that would be against Microsoft's interests since that will be their new parent company very soon. I think someone already mentioned but they even took over the publishing of Call of Duty in Japan from Sony this month so I doubt they'll do any new deals imo.
But as someone else pointed out what if the deal was already made? If they did want to make a deal it would have been made a while ago.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's about time playstation launched a game subscription service. something they've never done ever

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I don't intend to invest in another game subscription service at this time, but I'm curious to see what Sony brings to the table.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So it doesn't really do anything new it just combines 2 services that already exist

If you already subbed to both services you aren't gaining any new games

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Only thing I'm worried about is if they use this as an opportunity to get rid of annual PS+ and start charging $10/m like Xbox wanted to do $120/yr.