• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
People definitely won't do that. Journalists and social media keep misrepresenting what this service will be in their headlines and summaries.
According to Schreier, Sony themselves have been referring to it as a service to take on Game Pass.

I'm not expecting a whole lot, definitely not for the two lowest tiers, which might as well be PS+ and Now, with maybe a bit more emphasis on newer stuff. The third tier doesn't seem my jam, but at least seems to be offering something new.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm glad people are going in with "normal" expectations!

M6pP9My.gif

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Does anybody think PS5 games will get added to PS Now (or whatever they call it now) with this? It's kind of ridiculous that I can stream from a cloud-based Xbox Series X with MS or a base PS4 with Sony.

Oct 27, 2017
The bare minimum for the sub to be acceptable: Entire Sony PS4 back catalog, plus the PS5 games from last year, on the sub permamently. Ideally, this should have day one games as well, or else it won't compete with game pass at all.
Yeah this should alone have 99% of PS4 first party which would be great, plus Destruction All Stars, Returnal, Sackboy, Demon Souls would be good. Can't see miles morales that's selling too well at retail

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'm not expecting they will try to match Game Pass.

They are just trying to make PSNow's offering more attractive and easier to promote by infusing it with very popular PS+.

I hope it's a lot more than that. I could see that being true at the high level, but there are a lot of things I think Sony could do to still offer a great service, such as paying to have great AA and AAA game releases on there day one, in lieu of a lack of first-party day 1 releases.

Also, I'd personally really like them to cull a lot of the weaker games out of PS Now, and present this almost like a clean slate. Put all 1st party PS4 and PS5 games that are over 6 months to a year old on there for both download and streaming. Improve thier cloud save system. Significantly improve the quality and frequency of new game additions to the service, bring proper native BC for PS1 and PS2 games etc.

Heck, if they can't offer proper native PS3 backwards compatibility, they could at least work on a PC emulator, and steam the games from there at higher resolutions and framerates where possible.

Does anybody think PS5 games will get added to PS Now (or whatever they call it now) with this? It's kind of ridiculous that I can stream from a cloud-based Xbox Series X with MS or a base PS4 with Sony.

I certainly hope so! Them retrofitting their streaming servers with PS5s could be a reason for the recent lower forecast of PS5s expected to be available on the market.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Feels like this will be a weak effort to boost key subscription revenue, offering little to those who will already own a lot of the games it offers and would prefer it to include new releases as well.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
As someone subscribed to PS Plus who isn't interested in PS Now I'm expecting this new service to be a way to raise my sub price in exchange for things I don't want.

Bingo. Nevermind the gross practice of exclusively gating classics behind the highest tier of this thing. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the current regime at PlayStation doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, all things considered. My finger is already hovering over the Fuck-Off button.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to see what will happen to my PS+ and PS Now subs and if they combine, what tier they'll land on. Will be good to get some proper facts.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I think it will 100%

They'd be absolutely mad to launch a new sub in 2022 that didn't support PS5 games. I can only think that the only reason they didn't ever include them on PS Now was so that it'd be a upgrade for the inevitable relaunch.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Is there any rumour of individual game purchases outside the service?

Kind of a related question, what's the likelihood of having access to PS1 games from my library that I've purchased on my PS3/PSP/Vita?

Oct 25, 2017
My realistic hope for this is that it increases the quality and quantity of third party games offered, especially indies. I don't mind that first party stuff won't be on there day 1, but it would be nice to see older first party titles included (even though I own the ones I really care to play).

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
I hope there is a good upgrade offer for current PS+ subscribers. Something akin to the Xbox Live --> Game Pass offer. I'm already subbed to PS+ through 2024.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully it's priced well, don't care about keeping an active sub to these services, as have a big enough backlog as is, but really don't want to have to pay more for shitty online and this will be a perfect opportunity to stealth price hike.

Mar 22, 2022
I'm hoping Spar is a great service, but the fallout for the initial rollout if poor is going to be hilarious.

Jim Ryan: "We are bringing back legacy games starting with the PS1"
Resetera: "This is what we want to hear baby, let's FUCKING GO!
Jim Ryan: "Then the PS2"
Resetera: "Nice. been feeling to play Wild Arms again"
Jim Ryan: "And finally the PS4"
Resetera: "Wait, does Jim know how to count?"
Jim Ryan: "With all these consoles, we can truly offer a catalogue second to none"
Resetera: "Yeah, but..."
Jim Ryan: "Legacy, ah, such a beautiful thing?"
Resetera: "But thre...?"
Jim Ryan: "LEGACY!!!"

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any rumour of individual game purchases outside the service?

Kind of a related question, what's the likelihood of having access to PS1 games from my library that I've purchased on my PS3/PSP/Vita?
Absolutely zero chance of that happening. The classic game tier will likely be like Nintendo Switch Online where they add a few classic games per month and has no relationship to PS1 games you already own digitally.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 100% in if 1) it's like Game Pass (I don't think it will be) or 2) they finally open the damn door for PS 1&2.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

Det

Jul 30, 2020

Schreier already reported as such. Not sure on timelines however, it might not be available day 1.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Sony is still not that serious about the subscription wars and is just dipping their toes.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Classic PS1/PS2/PSP and I can play Budokai 3, Crisis core & D.O.N I will be happy.

But it will be interesting to see what is their End goal with this service. It is Netlfix/Disney+ types of services where they want to reach everyone with big content constantly? Or more "niche" services like HBO Max where they will put their exclusives 2 month after the release etc... for the Spartacus tier.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I will sub depending on the pricing and when 1st party releases will be "free"
Doesn't have to be day 1 but within 2-3 months would be nice.

Jan 27, 2022
I pray this is the end of timed exclusivity. Hopefully, Sony will stops spending tens of millions on timed exclusives, and put that money into making this service better.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
You're exactly right, but then in the next breath they say that this is Sony's version of Game Pass. Including the very one we're talking about in this thread. One of these things is not like the other. But it keeps getting characterized that way so people are going to take it and run with it.
Thats like articles calling X device the iPhone killer....when alot of times the company never says it.
Is merging mediocre services into one bigger mediocre service a bad thing? No. It's also not a good or interesting thing either.

Thats your opinion....but PS Plus being mediocre is certainly a take.

Lets not forget that Plus started on the PS3...and only got better from there. Their offerings doesnt negate that.

If you have no interest in Now, having it rolled into to Plus and being forced to pay for both would be a bad thing?
Maybe you are missing that one of the tiers is the current Plus?

It would be adding 2 higher tiers...on top of whats already there....

Cant get any more simple than that. And yes, thats a good thing.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Personally subs aren't a big deal for me so if the service is good, I'll be happy, if it's lacklustre then c'est la vie 🤷‍♂️ At least I know next week is gonna be eventful 🤣 ….ESPECIALLY ON ERA 🤣

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is people will be decently disappointed if they try to compare it directly to Game Pass, because Sony is not going to put their AAA single-player $70 retail games on Spartacus day one.

There will probably be a value proposition, but people expecting a one to one "Game Pass, but Sony" will be pretty frustrated with what they offer.

Sony can't even keep their old first party offerings on PSNow forever atm. It's a joke

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Only interested in what they might be doing with PS1/2/3 games. Otherwise I'm yawning

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's a lot more than that. I could see that being true at the high level, but there are a lot of things I think Sony could do to still offer a great service, such as paying to have great AA and AAA game releases on there day one, in lieu of a lack of first-party day 1 releases.
Don't expect miracles.

They'll add 1st party games to the offering when they are forced to do so [same as MS did it after loosing entire generation].