• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Remember how the BF community reacted to finally being able to play as a woman? And how much gaslighting was involved? The gaming community has not given any indication that they will react well to a woman being the protagonist or even face of GTA. ESPECIALLY if she's a WOC with a darker skin tone. Don't even get me started on how we're very likely to see people unironically call her a Mary Sue.
BFV wasn't the first time you could play as a women in BF. There were female snipers in BF1 just the year before. Although I guess BFV had more controversy since it was front and center.
I don't remember that much controversy over the Russian snipers in BF1.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Women complainers don't have a leg to stand on. Especially after GTA V introduced multiple protagonists, it'd be weird if 6 didn't have a female lead

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Awesome news with a female protagonist, is it confirmed that it takes place in the 70s or 80s?

franloradr

Jul 3, 2022
what scares me the most is that concept of evolving the content by including new cities and missions regularly

it sound pretty much as a gaas, but this time fully integrated at the single-player side

i would rather prefer a classic single-player campaign with a great history and missions.

Then do whatever you want for the multiplayer experience

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
The meltdowns on twitter about this is absolutely hilarious. When chuds are malding it means your company is on the right path so kudos to Rockstar.

That said, new cities getting added over time? For the love of God I hope they are playable on the single player mode.

Last edited:

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I get the thought process from both sides.

Some people don't feel comfortable enough/relate enough to using a female protagonist.

That has 100% the same equal weight to someone not comfortable enough/relate enough to using a male protagonist.

This is why choice is good. Not choice to play it or not but choice of character at the start of the game.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see it. Modern GTA is one of the most immersive and detailed gaming experiences around, for all its flaws and faults I can't help but to get excited thinking about how a new GTA on new more powerful hardware will raise the bar.

I won't forget how novel it felt to play GTA V in first person on PS4 for the first time - and then on PC in 2015 where I could finally enjoy the game with controls that were more responsive.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Some people don't feel comfortable enough/relate enough to using a female protagonist.

That has 100% the same equal weight to someone not comfortable enough/relate enough to using a male protagonist.

This is why choice is good. Not choice to play it or not but choice of character at the start of the game.

Not really no.

OP
OP
Mar 29, 2022
what scares me the most is that concept of evolving the content by including new cities and missions regularly

it sound pretty much as a gaas, but this time fully integrated at the single-player side

i would rather prefer a classic single-player campaign with a great history and missions.

They are surely filling the MP with microtransactions anyway

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Fuck no

Force people to play as a women so they get over it

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

The thing is they originally wanted the game to span across the Americas, which is insane. Chopping a lot of that out for post-launch is fine by me if the "scaled-back" base game is comparable to GTA V.

It'd be an upgrade to what we've gotten with their last two games, which didn't get any SP content added.

The enlightened centrist has entered the thread

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017

Never really got this argument because I've never related to a single GTA protagonist ever yet still enjoyed the games. This just sounds like when people were mad about San Andreas because "they couldn't relate to the gang culture".

StarsAreStuff

Feb 16, 2021

why would people be uncomfortable playing a female character?

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Will be there day one and all sounds good but hard to get excited for something still like 3 years away. lol

Hopefully Rockstar officially show it off next year.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

Even in a vacuum, just looking at this one game, this isn't true

Outside of a vacuum (i.e. reality) in the context of the greater video game landscape, it's even less true

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good, I'm all for it. This is the most excited I've been for a GTA game since... San Andraes? Damn it's been a minute.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
I usually can't stand play a AAA game with a well defined protagonist. GTA 4 Niko was probably the most poorly written absurd protagonist in gaming - a psychopathic philosopher? And my greatest regret in GTA 5 is I couldn't kill off all 3 protagonists.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Gamers having to play as a woman in a series like GTA where the characters are as sexually active as they are is probably their worst nightmare

snipeywolf

Jun 15, 2022
United States
Vice city and a female protag checks everything off my list. I'm hoping for a real badass female protag! And I love the Bonnie & Clyde dynamic. I hope we can just play as her or between her and Clyde, I loved the trio from V but sometimes I didn't like switching between three characters.

I was so hoping they would do a modernized Vice City, meaning they will very likely revisit Liberty City too. I think they just want to do newer takes on both settings.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

I'm personally not uncomfortable at all and I'm looking forward to the characters. A friend of mine who is trans doesn't like playing female characters because it gives him some bad flashbacks about dysphoria. It's not necessarily a complete dealbreaker but I know he avoids playing female characters whenever he can because of that, especially in story heavy games.

(To be clear, that's not me saying that this is the most common reason why people are uncomfortable with this)

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Except that GTA has never had a female main character. Now that we've have a potential female lead, we get snippets like this championing choice and ...relatable characters?

d9d25bfb8804e9d5-600x338.jpg

Very relatable!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Vice City in a modern Rockstar world is going to be something, like my expectations visually for this game with the neon lights etc. are very high
Remember how good Valentine looked at night? They got this.
I don't understand how this is genuine question. A very sizable portion of the community that had gamergate to the point that it was on the news, and since then has had multiple studies coronating the accusations about its consistently observable misogyny, that had a huge controversy just a few short years ago because a bro shooter let you play as a woman, has very consistently stated "Rockstar's the last non woke studio." Amongst the reaction to basic feminism 101 in the form of Feminist Frequency, which people are STILL angry about. That community, that one in particular, you're asking why they'd have a problem with a series wherein the writers of the last entry stated that masculinity is key to the series? They absolutely shouldn't be uncomfortable, but man people like TheQuartering are gonna be eating some real expensive food from all the revenue he's gonna make off of angry misogynistic gamers.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User banned (permanent): Sexist commentary over multiple posts. Prior severe ban for white fragility and dismissing racism concerns.
There are too many people quoting my post which is not surprising. But I won't engage in any conversation that is denying choice. So your opinions are right and this female protagonist needs to he forced to fit your opinion ?

Have a female
Have a male
Have Trans
Have non binary

No one is above anyone else. So there is no need to rejoice or discourage based on who is in the game. Having a choice is not being against another. In this age of cancel culture the only thing that needs to be taught is respect and acceptance of others regardless of anything.

But that does not mean you need to change someone's opinion.

The biggest progress in this is choice. Allow people to choose.

I get it I will be picked apart yet again, but thay is simply because of a difference of opinions. I still respect and accept yours and others, respect mine.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
BFV wasn't the first time you could play as a women in BF. There were female snipers in BF1 just the year before. Although I guess BFV had more controversy since it was front and center.
I don't remember that much controversy over the Russian snipers in BF1.
Weren't they dlc and not at the forefront of marketing including the cover?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
its funny how "relatability" suddenly matters when the prospect is playing as a woman, or a black person. Did people "relate" to Trevor from GTAV?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are too many people quoting my post which is not surprising. But I won't engage in any conversation that is denying choice. So your opinions are right and this female protagonist needs to he forced to fit your opinion ?

Have a female
Have a male
Have Trans
Have non binary

No one is above anyone else. So there is no need to rejoice or discourage based on who is in the game. Having a choice is not being against another. In this age of cancel culture the only thing that needs to be taught is respect and acceptance of others regardless of anything.

But that does not mean you need to change someone's opinion.

The biggest progress in this is choice. Allow people to choose.

I get it I will be picked apart yet again, but thay is simply because of a difference of opinions. I still respect and accept yours and others, respect mine.
Is this AI generated?