• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I don't get this. Since GTAV's release people have been complaining endlessly about Rockstar not making additional single player content. They want the type of stuff that GTAO is getting but in a single player form. This sounds exactly like that, but now it's a bad thing? The article makes it clear that the game is still going to be very meaty, and even feature more indoor areas than ever before.
At the very least I wish they would put the new radio stations in single player GTAV.

Oct 27, 2017
FY24 seems like it would be a good time to release $299 slim consoles (Sony) and Xbox, idk $199 S and $399 X? Gta would move them like crazy (not that they need help)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Due to gtao I don't ever see them doing a big online game in the past again. With current gtao they can go stupid and add whatever crazy shit they want to sell, something like rdr2 is very limited due to the time period. There would be flying horses if it was modern.
Imagine...calling Pegasus for a Pegasus.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people would lose their shit over the idea of a female GTA protag and how it isnt possible and how the games *have* to be centered around men only and blah blah blah?

Gamers are some of the whiniest babies I swear to god. If devs have the freedom to explore different concepts (and aren't total hacks) they will do so

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
They'll nail the sandbox. I just hope they can address the gunplay mechanics. Between GTAV and RDR2, gunplay has really become the worst aspect of these titles.

If they don't improve it, I just hope the game at least feels designed with the controls in mind.

RDR2's movement and combat were sluggish and subject to all kinds of physics outcomes, but I wouldn't have minded so much if it felt balanced around that and missions wouldn't fail because you didn't immediately do exactly what the prompts said.

For comparison, i don't consider Uncharted 2 great purely for it's core gameplay, but I do consider it great because the game's scenarios leverage the gameplay incredibly well throughout. That's what I hope for from GTA—if the mission design is good enough, I won't mind the gameplay being similar to the past games.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
After Sadie Adler in RDR2 I have full faith on Rockstar in writing a strong female lead so this is great news. I do wish they would leave behind America as a setting for a couple games though.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Hope the mission design is better. Rockstar games are weirdly behind the times on open world design despite having the most detailed open worlds.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
I saw someone had posted a leak on 4chan showing Vice City and a female protagonist a few days ago. The rest might be true as well such as being get in the 70/80s

Wow..that was a fun read. As far as 4chan leaks go, that's a pretty high quality one. I want to believe.

The 70s/80s for single player and modern day for online sounds like a great idea. It would make online feel really fresh after finishing the campaign.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Bonnie and Clyde influenced protags sound hype.

Not too excited about this being live service tho. They very quickly abandoned the story/single player DLCs for GTAV since GTAO was their cash cow, so I can't imagine a more integrated online mode/live service approach would do the single player aspect of the game any favors.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
Whilst it is very good to see, along with the changes to their work culture, It's something they could/should have done in GTA V and tried to defend not doing "The concept of being masculine was so key to this story"

V was 9 years ago and will be at least 11 years old when VI pops up. I don't feel like high fiving five Rockstar for taking so long.

But, you're right, any progress is good. Especially in huge game series.

I can already imagine that some of the reactions to this (and the stuff about them avoiding punching down) will be just god awful.

Why would there be a mostly negative reaction to a female protagonist? If anything it will be a refreshing change. GTA hasn't had them but other games like Hellblade, Horizon and Tomb Raider and they've been hits and enjoyed by the gaming community. GTA has had two black protagonists Carl Johnson and Franklin Clinton and they've been loved characters with GTA:SA regularly listed as many people's favourite of the franchise. A Latina protagonist is a natural fit for the Miami location, which has the highest percentage of latino population in the US. A good story has the potential to tell her story as a woman, and be her feminine story, in the crime world told on the backdrop of her community.

GTA V was the story about three men in the crime world, it was their story, a very masculine story. Could GTA V have featured two men and one woman, or three women? Of course! Then it could've been a feminine story and it would've still had the same gameplay and still been good. However the story written wasn't the story I chose to write, or you chose to write, it was the story Dan Houser & team wrote about three men, Michael, Franklin and Trevor and and their masculine story they had no obligation to write a story to represent a particular group.

Sure GTA getting a female could have been done sooner. A woman might have been planned for one of the canned DLC. We're here now with GTA VI which has the potential to be massive. If the hero is a latino woman it may translate to widening the GTA player base to more girls and women. There will always be idiots who make complaints but that's not the majority and it's not representative of the gaming community. For people who go around saying there will be complaints about the protagonist's race before there have been is bordering on stoking racial tensions. The GTA community, the many millions of players have proven they just want great GTA games and they certainly don't have a problem with the race or sex of the characters.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this. Since GTAV's release people have been complaining endlessly about Rockstar not making additional single player content. They want the type of stuff that GTAO is getting but in a single player form. This sounds exactly like that, but now it's a bad thing? The article makes it clear that the game is still going to be very meaty, and even feature more indoor areas than ever before.
I don't believe at all that Rockstar will be updating GTA 6's story mode. I won't believe it until the dlc actually releases, since they promised story mode dlc for GTA V and then got drunk on Online money.

So the only way I see them updating the story mode is if it is integrated with Online.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
My main issue with GTA V is how unlikeable the main characters are. I get its a crime game, but I couldn't find a redeeming quality in any of them. Hope they do better this go around.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Not even a fan of GTA these days, but Vice City (my first GTA) and a Latina protagonist is certainly a way to reel me in. I only hope that it controls a little better than RDR2, so I can at least have fun performing basic actions in the game, should I end up playing it.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
I'd love to learn about this in a trailer. I get that its just part of their jobs as a journalists to get scoops but it's like sucking the air out of what could be most hypest moment. I'm not being all "no spoilarz" but more like I wanna feast on the full meal instead of eating snacks before hand. I guess a leak is bound to happen anyway. Oh well.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
I'm all in for a female protagonist but why are we returning to Vice City? Such a lack of ambition and such a loss of opportunity of something different...

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Wow..that was a fun read. As far as 4chan leaks go, that's a pretty high quality one. I want to believe.

The 70s/80s for single player and modern day for online sounds like a great idea. It would make online feel really fresh after finishing the campaign.

Yeah, and they more than any studio in the world, have the resources to design two versions of the same city, even with the amount of detail they will put into the world, so I would love for this to be true.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'm glad about the cultural shift inside the studio and I can already see some people calling it "Woke Theft Auto" or some shit like that.

Hopefully the writing will be better then GTAV, especially in therms of satire, which was so bland and obvious.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if it does have Cuba it will be interesting but fucking hell there must be a different locality within the US that has interesting geography and city layout to do an impression of. Maybe they'll do a DLC city in ten years or so lol

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Jason could confirm for us if this is PS5 and Series X|S only.

One would obviously think it would be, but who knows anymore. Especially since the PS4 and Xbox One never had their own GTA game.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Sounds like a huge step in the right direction and fun from a gameplay perspective.

I'm sure the GG assholes are losing their shit over "woke Rockstar".

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all in for a female protagonist but why are we returning to Vice City? Such a lack of ambition and such a loss of opportunity of something different...

My prediction is that we'll start in Vice City, and in the years after release Rockstar will introduce Liberty City and other locations into the game.

Players will actually be able to buy plane tickets, go to the airport, board the plane, and arrive in a difference city entirely.

It will most definitely evolve to become "GTA World" after release.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
a modern take on Vice City makes a ton of sense. Hopefully the "surrounding areas" part means a stand-in for Cuba so that I can take a go-fast boat there for some afternoon Mojitos like in Michael Mann's cinema masterpiece Miami Vice.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Sexist concern trolling
Finally an overhaul, hope they dont get too woke on the gameplay i still just want to blow up people and their shit.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Jason could confirm for us if this is PS5 and Series X|S only.

One would obviously think it would be, but who knows anymore. Especially since the PS4 and Xbox One never had their own GTA game.
By the time it releases we'll be begging for it to be exclusive to PS6 and Xbox Series F.

lone_stranger

Aug 24, 2018
GTAV was very brotastic, but I really enjoyed the Michael/Trevor dynamic. They've had a decade to figure out GTAVI, so I hope a Bonnie/Clyde pair can be as entertaining.

If single-player expands with new areas and content then they can overcome just about any deficiencies over time.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely also interested in how the map expansions plays out as well. I would hope the base game is bigger than the previous games in the series.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How long until the "GTA is too woke now. Fuck Rockstar" comments (not in this place obviously)?

Personally I think that sounds pretty damn awesome. Haven't enjoyed V as much as most and didn't even play RDR2 yet, but will probably get this one Day 1.