• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
They can take forever for all I care, as long as their employees stay happy and they manage to consolidate their new corporate culture.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Value your employees and they will pay you back with quality work. Too bad a lot of companies still haven't figured it out and many are reverting post pandemic growth in tech. Their HQ is based in NYC too, which shows how much of the rooted issues it had to remove to improve its work place culture.

Regarding Bonnie and Clyde vibes, that's an excellent idea. Should be a smooth way for even the more misogynistic people out there to accept.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
If it's as good as RDR2 I'm hyped

They genuinely should take the red dead "earnest" story direction for GTA. There are missteps in both series' stories and characters, but the ultra-irreverent GTAV just felt meaningless.

They can still have humour and gags, just like RDR1&2 did while still putting some heart in the narrative

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Finally. GTA series does women characters dirty, but then Red Dead seems to have decent writing for them. Hopefully, this time we have decent writing, as well as sharp satire which I thought was lacking in GTAV sans couple of mission.

Also, I will pre-emptively say fuck the chuds who are sure to yet again crawl out of their holes over this news.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I really hope they'll nail the map expansions and refreshments. GTA 5 is almost 9 years old right now and it has gotten very boring to say the least to still have the same map beyond maybe some minor changes.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds awesome, now just gimme that 80s Vice City setting for the cherry on top.

*edit Ahh a fictionalized Miami, awesome.

landing43

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2022
www.bnnbloomberg.ca

Grand Theft Auto will have female main character for first time - BNN Bloomberg

After a public controversy four years ago, Rockstar, the maker of Grand Theft Auto, is reinventing itself as a kinder, gentler company.

Let's fucking gooooo
I'm glad that Rockstar is taking steps in cleaning up some of the messiness it has but I wonder though, why did it seem like the transphobic stuff in GTA V or all the misogynistic stuff was maybe a bit too overlooked than it should have in online discussions in the 2010s, until just recently?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So the 'Project Americas' codename that was leaked what feels like years ago turned out to be true, huh?

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cops and crooks was fun as fuckm t's a shame that never came back, I get postponing it due to sensitive news events but cancelling it outright because of the mere presence of police is a bit weak.

And great news about a female protagonist. It's been obvious one could be well implemented world since the days of GTA3 and Catalina.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that Rockstar is taking steps in cleaning up some of the messiness it has but I wonder though, why did it seem like the transphobic stuff in GTA V or all the misogynistic stuff was maybe a bit too overlooked than it should have in online discussions in the 2010s, until just recently?
social media was only just starting to become mainstream when gta v came out. i was in high school. only kids used it and it was mainly fb.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
About fucking time.

Glad they're cleaning up their workplace too -- I've heard horror stories about how toxic it is there.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the leak says it was a couple of brothers? A Bonnie and Clyde situation implies the other is a guy.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i have faith in whatever they are doing, i just hope they drop an announcement trailer soon

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication
Both GTA Threads will be open as there's enough news here worth two separate threads and the contents they focus on

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Was a different time when GTA5 first came out.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Fuckin awesome hopefully it's a 10/10 and the not my gta pieces of shit who inevitably show their asses can feel dumb af buying it because it's so good.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finally finally. Felt like a missed opportunity that they didn't do it in GTA V. And hopefully this leak means we are seeing a trailer soon.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Too long development and too expensive to make.

They did it with RDR2 which was only a few years ago, and making a huge forever endlessly updating GaaS title is a huge undertaking, development never ends, so we'll see the SP and Online aspects require more work now, whereas with GTAV they were able to have their cake and eat it

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Missed opportunity to not have one character be a detective tbh. Unrelated. Fully support the Latina mc. I feel like a detective that plays as a mix of LA Norie and Gta, hunting other two would have been really slick, and innovative but what evs.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'm excited to see what a non-PS2 rendition of Vice City (Miami) will look like. The original map was tiny, but if they base it on the real location then they should be able to have a proper setup like Los Santos in GTA5.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It will be very interesting to see what the tone of this game will be. GTA games, especially starting with the 3D era, have always been about depreciating humor. Having a game that doesn't "punch down" almost sounds like it's not a GTA game in terms of their humor. Everyone is literally a target for something in these games. At the minimum I expect more humanizing criminal characters you play as.

I'm also guessing because Miami is the starting space, and Rockstar avoids real-life naming locations, the starting location is Vice City. I could see them expanding the map over time almost like an homage to the original Grand Theft Auto, which took you across the United States. I guess the GTA Online DLC which includes a completely new map was conceptualizing this idea somewhat.

The biggest thing to worry about with this game, more than tone and what's launching, is how it's going to be supported. GTA Online's financial toxicity will very clearly infect the design of this game. That's always been the thing to worry about. They can make a cool game and totally fuck it up, because that's what GTA Online is.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
This is great.
GTA having a female protagonist will have more impact than basically all games with one released the last decade. It's that massive.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Rockstar wanted to include large portions of North and South America but had to be reeled in
Original plans for the title, which is code-named Project Americas, were for it to be bigger than any Grand Theft Auto game to date. Early designs called for the inclusion of territories modeled after large swaths of North and South America, according to people familiar with the plans.
The new map is a fictionalized Miami but will update over time
This is a downer. Going from "large parts of North and South America" to just Miami… damn. Says they'll update it but still

Forcevapour

Banned
Jun 10, 2022
Doesn't really tell us any details on the actual game. Who the characters are is irrelevant and it was always going to be set in America. I'm pretty sure I've even read about them adding to the game over time aswell.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
That description...

So the latina main character is obviously going to be Catalina, right?
She's dead, so it'd have to be something set before 2001, and i'm not sure they'll ever do a setting that's not modern again since they're already mined two major periods with it.
I'm not even sure Catalina has even existed in the HD universe, they don't really touch the PS2 era characters.

So they're actually calling the city Miami and not Vice City?
Nah, it's Vice City. It's been named directly in both GTA IV and V.