• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
www.bloomberg.com

Nintendo Boosts Switch Production by Another 20%

Nintendo Co. has asked its assembly partners to increase production of its Switch gaming console again, raising its goal to as much as 30 million units for this fiscal year, according to people familiar with its strategy.

The introduction of a more affordable Switch Lite variant in late 2019 helped broaden the machine's potential audience and Nintendo is making preparations for an upgraded Switch model and a beefed-up games lineup for 2021, Bloomberg News has reported. Several outside game developers, speaking anonymously as the issue is private, said that Nintendo has asked them to make their games 4K-ready, suggesting a resolution upgrade is on its way.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment.

Same article as the shipment goals thread, but this part deserves its own thread.

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Funding secured.

Give my Switch Pro that I don't have time play Nintendo!

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you somehow get DLSS in there, 4K on the Switch is a HUGE waste. Give me better framerates/battery instead.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Cool I guess but there's a whole list of other things I'd rather see improved in a new switch before 4K. It's a portable hybrid console, I'll take the docked resolution hit.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Nvidia can wizard together some sort of Tegra with Tensor cores for DLSS, then hell yes, put that in a Switch 2 or Switch Pro or whatever.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
The Big news for me is that it seems they learned this lesson from the wii era. Imo wii should have had a HD upgrade and lost some relevance due to the lack of it, it's nice they try to keep switch on track.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Given the Nvidia partnership this is a very interesting development and, while not entirely unexpected, certainly a welcome refresh if it ends up paying off.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Is a pro really happening? I have not let myself get excited for this after being disappointed. I can't actually imagine they would target 4K... seems crazy.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's gonna be fauxK most likely. i can't see a switch revision being able to run games at actual 4K.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Hopefully the pro is happening this time rather than Nintendo just doing a stealth system revision like when they replaced the 1X with the 1X+.

There must be some tech that hasn't been leaked between Nvidia/Nintendo having worked on to get 4k (dlss?) on Tegra-like hardware

Last edited:

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super curious what this will end up being. My one issue with Nintendo visuals is that they often have pretty poor aliasing and image quality.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
y i k e s

well, it made me chuckle.

Well it's been a while I guess... I'm getting old. :(

www.engadget.com

[Updated] Jeff Bell asks message board user: "And your contribution to society is ... what?"

Think twice before you start slingin' bombs towards Microsoft's corporate VP of global marketing, Jeff Bell. He might just show up on your message board and troll you right back.That's what happened to NeoGAF user "a Master Ninja." Having heckled Bell amidst the Peter Moore departure, he awoke...

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
If really that new switch is significantly more powerful than the OG model, then Nintendo is definitely going for incremental upgrades every 3-4 years, following the mobile phones model. And there won't be a "switch 2" in 2023-24, but a switch super pro or whatever they wanna call it. This would be great news.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Well it's been a while I guess... I'm getting old. :(

www.engadget.com

[Updated] Jeff Bell asks message board user: "And your contribution to society is ... what?"

Think twice before you start slingin' bombs towards Microsoft's corporate VP of global marketing, Jeff Bell. He might just show up on your message board and troll you right back.That's what happened to NeoGAF user "a Master Ninja." Having heckled Bell amidst the Peter Moore departure, he awoke...

oh, now i remember

i'm getting old too :( :(

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If really that new switch is significantly more powerful than the OG model, then Nintendo is definitely going for incremental upgrades every 3-4 years, following the mobile phones model. And there won't be a "switch 2" in 2023-24, but a switch super pro or whatever they wanna call it. This would be great news.
It doesn't need to be significantly more powerful to do 4K DLSS.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
It would be interesting to see if the "Nintendo Switch Pro" has a Tegra SoC with a Turing based GPU or an Ampere based GPU for DLSS 2.1 support. I'm personally sceptical, but I guess we'll have to see.

Last edited:

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
It's not gonna have DLSS for this upcoming model lol that tech's way too new

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Oh please
So many Switch games (and the os) look so blurry on my 4K set. I'm over it and have been ready for Switch Pro for some time now

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I don't see the point of this to be honest. I'd rather better frame-rates on Switch games than 4K.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
for the 2021 product, to avoid disappointment: expect a die-shrunk X1 with vague "faster processing" as a side-benefit feature, alongside a larger (still 720p) screen, more storage, a tweaked design, and a camera and mic

don't think "switch pro." think "new switch." you'll be happier.