• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
It'd be like people eating Panda Express in China. Like......why?
I don't think they have panda express in china but like people have mentioned, friends and the big bang theory made american chinese food a thing in china. No to mention that Panda Express also just tastes better than most local American style Chinese restaurant in the US.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I don't think they have panda express in china but like people have mentioned, friends and the big bang theory made american chinese food a thing in china. No to mention that Panda Express also just tastes better than most local American style Chinese restaurant in the US.

It was a hypothetical, but yeah, there was a bit of a thing for American-style Chinese food in Shanghai for a time. Fortune Cookie was opened by an American-born Chinese and his buddy, and did reasonably well while it was open. I went a few of times, and it was decent. My Taiwanese wife disagrees. It was always Americans, Canadians, Brits and Aussies in there. I almost never heard anyone speaking Chinese at any of the tables. I think Mainland Chinese like the style of the takeout boxes that are always featured in American films. My wife thinks they're cool.

Besides that, I never saw another American-style Chinese restaurant in Shanghai or anywhere else in the Mainland. Purely anecdotal, I know. Chinese/Taiwanese/HKers are hardcore food snobs when it comes to Chinese food. I don't think they'd even look in the direction of American-style Chinese food if it was presented to them in the Mainland.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
It was a hypothetical, but yeah, there was a bit of a thing for American-style Chinese food in Shanghai for a time. Fortune Cookie was opened by an American-born Chinese and his buddy, and did reasonably well while it was open. I went a few of times, and it was decent. My Taiwanese wife disagrees. It was always Americans, Canadians, Brits and Aussies in there. I almost never heard anyone speaking Chinese at any of the tables. I think Mainland Chinese like the style of the takeout boxes that are always featured in American films. My wife thinks they're cool.

Besides that, I never saw another American-style Chinese restaurant in Shanghai or anywhere else in the Mainland. Purely anecdotal, I know. Chinese/Taiwanese/HKers are hardcore food snobs when it comes to Chinese food. I don't think they'd even look in the direction of American-style Chinese food if it was presented to them in the Mainland.

I think us northerners are more open to american style chinese food, mostly because it's pretty close to northern style chinese food like Lu cuisine. Then again southern chinese people in general look down upon our food as well.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I think us northerners are more open to american style chinese food, mostly because it's pretty close to northern style chinese food like Lu cuisine. Then again southern chinese people in general look down upon our food as well.

Which is a massive shame. Dongbei food is amazing. So hearty and delicious. We'd always go for smashed chicken, stir-fried mashed potatoes and dumplings at one of the local Dongbei spots in my neighbourhood in Shanghai.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, they're exaggerating, but it is true. All those pizza chains use heavily processed ingredients. It is garbage in the sense that is not good for your health.
www.ehn.org

Regrettable substitution chemicals

In addition to traditional phthalates, the authors of the study also investigated the amount of three common replacement plasticizers, cousin chemicals synthesized to replace some of the banned phthalates, in the food and glove samples. The results showed that all three replacement...
Haven't had the chance to try many local pizzerie in America, but in Italy, especially in Rome and Naples, you can get a tastier and healthier pizza made with fresh, high quality ingredients (Piennolo tomatoes grown on the fertile slopes of the Vesuvius volcano; fresh buffalo mozzarella/fiordilatte, none of that preservative-laden dry stuff these pizza chains call mozzarella; etc.) for less than 6 euros.

Pizza can be healthy depending on how it is made.

Where did you go in Italy/Rome? Did you consult tripadvisor / ask advices from locals, or did you choose randomly?

Sounds like you're describing the bland, terrible food you'd usually find at a tourist trap. Rome, for example, like many visited cities, is full of them, all concentrated in a single area overrun by tourists. It's a city as big as LA, but the vast majority of tourists rarely venture outside of the historic center and 9 times out of 10 end up eating in touristy places where a local would never think of going.

Also, don't know if it is your case, but a mistake tourists often make is ordering a non-local dish. Like going to Venice, a seafood-oriented city, and eating a carbonara instead of the local specialties. If they sell popular non-local dish like carbonara, it's most likely a tourist trap.

Another common mistake people make is thinking of "Italian food" as a monolith. Italian cuisine is incredibly diverse. Every region and even town has its own style, flavors, and seasonal products. If you think about it, after the fall of Rome, Italy was invaded by Ostrogoths, Lombards, Byzantines, Normans, Moors, etc. and was split into many different kingdoms and city-states, each one of them with its own distinct dialect/language, culture, traditions, and cuisine. Even today, it remains a culturally fragmented nation.

So when I see people talk about Italian food, I wonder how extensively they travelled around Italy. I've been to 12 regions and still think I've barely scratched the surface of what it has to offer. I also know Rome almost like the back of my hand, so if any of you is planning a visit, please don't hesitate to DM me.

Maybe! I mean you aren't wrong, one has to do a bit of research to find the best restaurants. I didn't plan too far ahead for the trip. Stayed in a hotel near Santa Maria Maggiore, wandered around through every side street and alley in view, and ate at any place that looked good and had something new I could try.
One thing I noticed, as an American, there was less…meat out there to eat, haha? Seems dumb but I felt like I was eating a lot of breads and pasta's and couldn't find any place that had meals with a noticeable amount of meat in it. Even one of the grocery stores I went in had a teeny tiny meat section with some sausage and prosciutto. That's it, haha.
Definitely noticed how dependable I was on that sort of protein. 😞

toohectic

Oct 27, 2017
Where did you go in Italy/Rome? Did you consult tripadvisor / ask advices from locals, or did you choose randomly?

Sounds like you're describing the bland, terrible food you'd usually find at a tourist trap. Rome, for example, like many visited cities, is full of them, all concentrated in a single area overrun by tourists. It's a city as big as LA, but the vast majority of tourists rarely venture outside of the historic center and 9 times out of 10 end up eating in touristy places where a local would never think of going.

Also, don't know if it is your case, but a mistake tourists often make is ordering a non-local dish. Like going to Venice, a seafood-oriented city, and eating a carbonara instead of the local specialties. If they sell popular non-local dish like carbonara, it's most likely a tourist trap.

Another common mistake people make is thinking of "Italian food" as a monolith. Italian cuisine is incredibly diverse. Every region and even town has its own style, flavors, and seasonal products. If you think about it, after the fall of Rome, Italy was invaded by Ostrogoths, Lombards, Byzantines, Normans, Moors, etc. and was split into many different kingdoms and city-states, each one of them with its own distinct dialect/language, culture, traditions, and cuisine. Even today, it remains a culturally fragmented nation.

So when I see people talk about Italian food, I wonder how extensively they travelled around Italy. I've been to 12 regions and still think I've barely scratched the surface of what it has to offer. I also know Rome almost like the back of my hand, so if any of you is planning a visit, please don't hesitate to DM me.

My family generally seeks to see and experience the local aspects of the country we are visiting. I am a very adventurous eater, so I am always interested in having the local dish. Traveling across the world to have something that I can get in my home region does not appeal to me. While we obviously visited Rome, Venice, Florence, Genoa, Cinque Terre, etc., we spent an equal, if not majority of our time in smaller less touristy destinations. We most loved our time in Soriano nel Cimino and the near by areas north of Rome. There were plenty of times we felt that we were clearly the only Americans that were there. *record scratch*! And English was pretty much non-existent in a large portion of the areas we stayed. We have not ventured south of Naples yet, so if we head back in the future, we will likely plan our trip for the southern tip and Sicily.

But I stick with my original conclusion that Italian food is just so-so.

<edit> Darn, was writing this on my phone and the page refreshed so I lost a portion of my post. Oh well, the above is generally a decent summary.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
as far as i can tell, actual pies (ie savoury) don't really exist in america, or where they do they're basically treated as ethnic food. most people seem to think the concept of meat in pastry is weird. the word "pie" is reserved for oversized pumpkin tarts and such. truly an inscrutable culture

Wtf so meat pies and sausage rolls aren't really popular there? They're like one of the most delicious foods ever and on the same tier as pizza.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
American style pizza is just a different thing to Italian pizza. Whether you like one over the other is a question of personal taste.
No need to be snooty about it, but also no need to mock people for not liking chain pizza.
Eat what you want, it's your body.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Wtf so meat pies and sausage rolls aren't really popular there? They're like one of the most delicious foods ever and on the same tier as pizza.

I mean some Americans refer to pizzas as pies, as shown in the thread title. Shows how little they know about pies haha. I know it's just a local slang thing but such a weird use of the word.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to love Domino's but recently they discontinued their hot dog crusts and now it's just 'good'.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I don't fuck with chain pizza at all. Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, Jets, Toppers, ALLLL OF THAT SHIT…is fucking garbage. After going to Italy it was just like Japan I can't eat Sushi here in America anymore. I can't eat pizza either unless it's from a local place and even then, it's still shit compared to Italy. Damn it world.
Have you tried not solely relying on supermarket sushi in America?

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great news, nothing can beat a pizza in Napoli.
Since I started to learn how to bake my own pizzas I never ordered from a chain anymore.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
American pies suck and everyone knows it

American style pies maybe, but there are countless amazing pizza joints in North America.

I have one down the street here in Montreal that I love. homemade crust, wood ovens and everything. if they have rapini (my favorite) as a topping choice, chances are it's a good pizza place.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
We had Dominoes in South Africa for just a few years before they shut down too. Nobody wanted to buy it

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
AH
AH
AH
AH
AH

That's a nice joke you got there
Pretty sure the place run by third or fourth-generation Neapolitan immigrants serving apizza for 100 years out of the same building knows what authentic, good pizza looks like and the government of Italy isn't the final say in that

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good on the local businesses beefing up against this American invasion. If you've tried local pizzerias in Italy and then American fast food pizza, it is a big difference not least helped by how processed chain pizza is like already stated. And I like Dominos in the UK, but I recognise it's just fast food and gets the job done but in terms of taste can't compare.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I get it. I was in France for about 5 days several years ago. It was a magical journey through an exotic land and I came back forever changed. Not just my eyes but all of my senses were deeply awakened. I'm now a Renaissance Man. Forever more will America seem to be drab, gray and cold in comparison.
I can no longer even look at a Beef Bourguignon , Croissant or Creme Brulee without being filled with rage and yet a wistful longing for La République Française.
Ditto. Came back from Italy a month ago and all I am is filled with rage as well. What we do to our food here in the US is a crime and we should be rioting in the streets. Real food just hits different.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me when this one chain restaurant Metro Diner tried opening a few locations in NJ...the HOME OF THE GOD DAMN DINER. They barely made it a year before they were out of the state and this was before the pandemic really closed poorly functioning restaurants.