• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1556943913663008770

www.bloomberg.com

Domino’s Pizza Quits Italy After Locals Shun American Pies

Domino’s Pizza Inc.’s footprint in the home of Pizza proved to be short lived with Italians favoring local restaurants over the American version.

Domino's Pizza Inc.'s footprint in the home of Pizza proved to be short lived with Italians favoring local restaurants over the American version.
The last of Domino's 29 branches have closed after the company started operations in the country seven years ago. It borrowed heavily for plans to open 880 stores, but faced tough competition from local restaurants expanding delivery services during the pandemic and sought protection from creditors after running out of cash and falling behind on its debt obligations.
The US chain entered Italy in 2015 through a franchising agreement with ePizza SpA and planned to distinguish itself by providing a structured national delivery service along with American-style toppings including pineapple.

------------------
Its ambitious expansion ran into trouble as traditional pizza makers scaled up deliveries or signed deals with third-party services such as Deliveroo Plc, Just Eat Takeaway.com NV or Glovo to bring their products to customers' homes while restrictions prevented dining out.
"We attribute the issue to the significantly increased level of competition in the food delivery market with both organized chains and 'mom & pop' restaurants delivering food, to service and restaurants reopening post pandemic and consumers out and about with revenge spending," ePizza said in a report to investors accompanying its fourth-quarter 2021 results.

View: https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1557123801548300298

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Wish America was the same way but whatever/ Support them local businesses :3

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No kidding. Chain pizza is only for areas that don't have good local options. I'm not going to stick my nose up at some dominoes but also I'd prefer local pizza if the option is there.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I mean, its a wonder they didnt burn down those places after this unforgivable act.

dkr2gv4qc5p31.jpg

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
with how often i hear how expensive american pizza is in other countries i bet thats a big part why

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Pizza in Italy is leagues better than anything you can get from some chain.
It pretty much ruined most pizza in NA for me, hard to find "legit" pizza places.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pizza in Italy is leagues better than anything you can get from some chain.
It pretty much ruined most pizza in NA for me, hard to find "legit" pizza places.
What type are you referring to as it's not hard to find different types of Pizzas in the US, I'll qualify that by saying in major cities.

Catcollector

Aug 19, 2019
I got plenty of good real pies in NYC but I'll still order Dominos because sometimes I don't want a real pizza, sometimes I want to eat bread with toppings coated in garlic dust. Sometimes I want to eat garbage and Dominos fits the bill.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
No kidding. Chain pizza is only for areas that don't have good local options. I'm not going to stick my nose up at some dominoes but also I'd prefer local pizza if the option is there.

Supermarkets have also started making pretty good "Fridge" Pizza that's a decent alternative if you are close enough to one for it to be convenient.

Just about the only reason to get chain Pizza is if you want to order in bulk for an event and your not friendly with a local pizza shop

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Lol, Italy aint having none of that shit. Thats like me making a national chain of Texas bbq joints and trying to set up shop in Texas. A fool's errand. You'd get laughed out of the state

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always love these threads because while usually founded on sensible discussion, they quickly devolve into /r/iamveryculinary.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised, it reminds me of the video of Italians trying Starbucks after Starbucks opened a fancy looking store in Italy to try and win them over, the video did not go well for Starbucks.

I dont know why American chains keep trying this but I will continue to laugh as they do.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
actually a bit surprised they had to close every branch, it's not like everybody in italy is eating primo pies 24/7 (or maybe? i wouldn't know). i guess their international branch is just managed shitty

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't think I've ever ordered chain pizza even in America on purpose, so I'm not surprised. I have ordered from pizza chains, but only to get the weird shit on their menu (and occasionally I'll get a pizza alongside my pasta at, like, Bertuccis).

Even where I live there's literally two independent pizza places within walking distance of my house.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Italians have voted with their wallets, and the answer is obvious

Bring Sbarro to Italy!

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, Italy aint having none of that shit. Thats like me making a national chain of Texas bbq joints and trying to set up shop in Texas. A fool's errand. You'd get laughed out of the state
Well, you may be in for a shock, but I trained in Texas for my previous job for about 2 months and they catered Dicky's BBQ pit often, and all the locals in the office were into it. Maybe it doesn't count since it started in Texas? But it's a national chain as far as BBQ joints go.

Not surprised, it reminds me of the video of Italians trying Starbucks after Starbucks opened a fancy looking store in Italy to try and win them over, the video did not go well for Starbucks.

I dont know why American chains keep trying this but I will continue to laugh as they do.

The Starbucks in Milan is an incredible place if you've never been.

Renpatsu

Oct 25, 2017
A similar thing happened to Starbucks when they tried to heavily expand into Australia, but hit a brick wall when they encountered an already entrenched coffee culture. These days they've found themselves a niche in the market by primarily catering towards foreigners, ex-pats, and international students in the bigger cities.