• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Wonder what sells are now? They were suppose to coast on this until their next game, which you know will probably be rushed now.
And isn't their next game the multiplayer version of Cyberpunk? So it's not going to be easy to brush off the bad press of Cyberpunk when it will be the same IP

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
company: we sold 10+ millions
analyst: it's a flop
company: we made money
analyst: no it's a flop
company: we even have bonus for staffs, not just management
analyst: I SAID IT'S A FLOP

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Lol people upset at him using the word flop for a game that didn't meet expectations on release, and definitely not after.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd definitely consider something that's nearly completely fell out of public consciousness as a flop, even if it sold 13 million at launch.

The Witcher 3 is 5+ years old and people still talk about it. Cyberpunk is a few months old and the only time people talk about it are when negative articles like this come out and you get responses like "lol I forgot this game even existed"

The game was definitely a flop.

They're releasing patches and are releasing the next-gen version later this year. The game will work as it should've worked at launch. Hell, most people didn't even use their right to refund the game. Only like 3% did.

People will forget and CD Projekt will release at least 2 big expansions. They have years to fix this mess and get people back on their side.

The next full game will be released within near perfect condition. Testers will have weeks to play it, streamers will be allowed to show their own footage days before the launch, etc. They'll do everything in their power to get people back on their side. I would bet money on that.

I wouldn't be shocked if they're going as far as releasing the first expansion for free to users who bought the main game at launch.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
So the people who severely damaged the game are the ones who get to profit greatly while the people who worked inhumane hours receive breadcrumbs (and are essentially being punished for the decision those who are getting rich off of the game made). It makes your stomach churn.

Then again, this kind of thing is so expected that the majority of people in this thread are more interested in having a semantical argument over the word "flop" than discussing it. Horrific wage disparity and worker exploitation have clearly become banal at this point. We just expect to be screwed.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Why does everyone assume that management, leads and head creatives do nothing?

Why are people saying that $5k-$34k bonuses make CDPR a shit company? (there are other reasons they may be, but any bonus plus your wage is great IMO)

For context. I have crunched all the time making CG animation and stills, I am a lead at my company and I am paid a good wage. Very rarely have I seen any type of bonus in my 15 years for crunching and THAT is disappointing at times. Are there any interviews with longtime, mid-level employees that aren't mad?

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
They're releasing patches and are releasing the next-gen version later this year. The game will work as it should've worked at launch. Hell, most people didn't even use their right to refund the game. Only like 3% did.

People will forget and CD Projekt will release at least 2 big expansions. They have years to fix this mess and get people back on their side.

The next full game will be released within near perfect condition. Testers will have weeks to play it, streamers will be allowed to show their own footage days before the launch, etc. They'll do everything in their power to get people back on their side. I would bet money on that.

I wouldn't be shocked if they're going as far as releasing the first expansion for free to users who bought the main game at launch.
You're making a lot of assumptions about the quality of future updates...

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Removed from PSN, reputation tarnished for years and memes for months.

I've played for fifty hours and liked most of it, got two endings. But it was a constant neverending mess and still is, on all platforms and especially old gen.

It's a goddamned flop. It is a moral flop, there's your semantics, cause the managment still got the millions, and more.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
It was supposed to sell 20 millions at launch. It's a flop considering their expectations.
I would call their (or analysts) expectations the bigger issue then. The game underperformed expectations yes, but the expectations were not realistic to begin with and were a pipe dream in order to justify the extreme investment (both financially and employee) they made on the game.

It was obviously a poorly handled launch and had many issues during development, but unless the game is in jeopardy of bankrupting them I would not call it a flop.

goldblum

Oct 28, 2017
London
'Underperformance' or 'didn't meet expectations' is an absolute understatement. What else would you call a game that was removed from the biggest gaming store at launch — and still isn't being sold there? Also, that gaming store offered everyone refunds.

Those devs crunched for years and had their reputations as a studio completely destroyed because of the management — all for a 20k bonus. Gross.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These execs showed an utter lack of ability to faithfully represent a product they were launching, to manage a crisis, lost their nerve and threw a platform holder under the bus in the process, while damaging their brand. Enjoy your bonus, guys.

lmao at the "actually, flop doesn't mean that" people

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
Ugh guys like there are plenty of valid reasons to hate CDPR but this news certainly isn't one of them. Name me one, just a single company that doesn't pay it's executives extremely high bonusses? This is completely normal practice. And don't forget, 20k is more than the average annual salary in Poland. For polish employees, that's A LOT

I would also like to see a situation where employees make more and execs less in relation, but that's a systemic issue

stop making excuses for blatant greed.

again, do you do this for all occurrences of economic injustice? like if your landlord raised your friends rent by 35%, do you just shrug and say "well bud, all landlords do it! you can't be mad!" ?

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 was the video game industry's biggest flop of 2020.
This line is probably why people are reacting to calling something that sold 13 million copies a flop. Maybe it was a disappointment, unclear.

My stance is that profit sharing is good, but the split here is disappointing. It's hard to have more to say about it unless Schreier or someone else is able to provide some info on what the industry standard is for profit sharing bonuses.

Once every 5-6 years though? The average is also boosted because of project managers getting 100k+. For your average dev its 5k to 20k.
The article does say these are part of an annual profit sharing plan.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
The discourse around this being a "flop" or not is already fucking tiring. I wish people would focus on what's important here.

And yeah, CDPR continues to show their ass. Imagine taking millions in bonus after this whole fiasco.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Maybe CDPRs goal with CP2077 was to make the most ironic cyberpunk game of all time. It's working wonders if that's the case, congrats.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I don't wish ill on any company in this industry. But I do find it absolutely disheartening and a moral injustice that those at CDPR most responsible for imposing awful crunch conditions and the state of the game at launch that caused it to be removed from the PlayStation store will be getting bonuses far, far, far beyond the lower level developers who they put through the wringer.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
DzyLfho.png

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
stop making excuses for blatant greed.

again, do you do this for all occurrences of economic injustice? like if your landlord raised your friends rent by 35%, do you just shrug and say "well bud, all landlords do it! you can't be mad!" ?

Of course I don't. Of course I'd be mad, I am mad because of this but I'm mad at the system, not the singular landlord/company. How is CDPR "pathetic" for this when every other company in existence does this? If people here said that everyone is pathetic for doing this I would agree, but singling out CPDR doesn't make sense

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He says "flop", but didn't the game do extremely well financially?
Think of it as an AC Unity type of situation where financial success will not directly translate to growth and anywhere near as much interest as their very next title. Especially if it happens to by cyberpunk related and even if that hypothetical cyberpunk project is way more polished.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This kinda reminds me of how, despite being an unprecedented bomb on most metrics, Anthem was still one of the top 20 selling games of 2019 and top 10 on the Xbox platform. Momentum of hype changes the calculus, regardless of the trajectory afterwards.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I may be sounding like an ass here...

but and so what? Who doesn't do this? Like we ought to stop scapegoating CDPR... every single publisher out there does the exact same thing. Give bonuses in the thousand to their employees and keep bonuses in the millions for themselves. LIke when sony publishes an 8M in first year selling game... that's at least $400Min revenue... let's say the game cost $100M to make all costs associated with bringing it to market and they are making $300Min profit. What percentage of that does anyone here really think goes to the devs as bonuses.

and when those employees (devs) go tr up their own studio and maybe even become a publisher...they will do the exact same shito some new poor devs.

show a publisher that gives at least 50% of all profits from a game back o the devs or relax.

Flip side - compound the negative PR that CDPR has to drive home a point about management receiving ridiculous sums while workers have to work under crunch and shit conditions in order to deliver the product for fractions of the profit

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Kingdoms of Amalur sold millions so how dare anyone say the game flopped.

It's all relative. Failing to hit launch sales targets, with post launch sales being almost non-existent, being removed from digital storefronts, and tarnishing the company's previously (mostly) stellar reputation in the industry could certainly qualify as a flop.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
All the bad decisions came from the top, yet they receive the highest bonuses. Sounds about right.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Of course I don't. Of course I'd be mad, I am mad because of this but I'm mad at the system, not the singular landlord/company. How is CDPR "pathetic" for this when every other company in existence does this? If people here said that everyone is pathetic for doing this I would agree, but singling out CPDR doesn't make sense

Where would you like to start then if we're not "allowed" to take it out on CDPR?

Stop defending companies.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
One of the biggest flops in recent years. Lying to the press, sales cratering after release. And now this, just a horrible mess.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Doesn't that mean all over projects are going to be a long time until release which means they are essentially going to have to relay on that 13 million copies money which is unlikely to have a long tail for even longer?

They have a current gen version and dlc expansions coming for cyberpunk.

Witcher 3 still sells well and also has a current gen version coming up.

They will not get in financial problems anytime soon.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Hostile Pedantic Thread-Derail; Peramantently Thread-Banned
A flop? lol. Jason should have stayed at Kotaku.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
The CDPR defense force needs to chill with the whataboutisms. Yes, other companies engage in the same shitty behavior. So what? We can all criticize that behavior in other threads when stories emerge about them (i.e. like the multiple threads about Activision and Bobby Kotick).

The simple fact is that this game underperformed expectations and negatively impacted a publicly traded company because those expectations are hugely important to stock price and future earnings. Instead of the board eating most of that negative impact, they passed far too much of it on to the lower level employees. That sucks, full stop. Calling out that greed is perfectly fine and doesn't need pushback.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're making a lot of assumptions about the quality of future updates...

Oh the quality is there. Even Cyberpunk has more than enough quality in it. It only needed a year or two more in the oven. But management got greedy and made the developers churn out a game that wasn't ready at all. The patches and add-ons for the Witcher 3 upgraded the game immensely over time. There's no way they wouldn't do the same and even more for CP 2077.

The developers and more than enough money are there. They need a shakeup in management and enough time to make the game they want.

Management needs to shut it's trap and let the developers do what they need to do.

Ideally management shouldn't start to market the game until it's done. Then take 6 -12 months to market it. During this time the devs will polish it even more.

They would make even more money. So many users want their games.

Again management needs to change hard.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020

every company that does this is pathetic and shitty. CDPR is "singled out" in this thread because schreier's piece is about CDPR, who just earned themselves the title of "one of the most disastrous game launches in history". along with their documented issues with transphobia and mistreatment of workers, it's not tough to figure out why they're being written about and discussed. they don't deserve the defense you're giving them. none of these greedy fucks do.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Think about a Cyberpunk sequel. Is anyone going to give it the benefit of the doubt after what happened? The franchise is tainted.

There are more metrics than money made in the moment. It was a flop.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
The CDPR defense force needs to chill with the whataboutisms. Yes, other companies engage in the same shitty behavior. So what? We can all criticize that behavior in other threads when stories emerge about them (i.e. like the multiple threads about Activision and Bobby Kotick).

The simple fact is that this game underperformed expectations and negatively impacted a publicly traded company because those expectations are hugely important to stock price and future earnings. Instead of the board eating most of that negative impact, they passed far too much of it on to the lower level employees. That sucks, full stop. Calling out that greed is perfectly fine and doesn't need pushback.
CDPR fans are the most rabid fanbase in gaming, thanks in part to their gamergater attitude.