• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
MORE? At this rate PS6 games in Europe will cost 100 euros
That's the bad part about those geenrational jumps. Higher development cost and this time higher price (Activision, Take Two and Sony for now). I really hope machine learning will save us and decrease the development cost in the future.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Again, I am still not surprised. They are trying to maximize their profits. I think the issues for the consumers is that most people don't have a lot of disposable income not that companies are trying to maximize their profits.

Oh totally, I'm not surprised (or even outraged) that a business entity is trying to squeeze maximum profit from its business.
I'm just pointing out that the argument "it's because games cost too much to make" doesn't work in this case.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Isn't the Bloomberg journalist Takashi Mochizuki the same person who said Sony were having production issues with TSMC? Wasn't this proven to be false by both Sony and TSMC?
Sony seems to have issues delivering their consoles here in Europe though, if it's because of production issues or something else, who knows, everyone in Germany who preordered their PS5 at the biggest retailer mediamarkt got emails last week, that their order will likely be delayed. -Might be the Corona-issues happening everywhere too though, however the Xbox Series X is getting delivered just fine I've heard...

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Sony seems to have issues delivering their consoles here in Europe though, if it's because of production issues or something else, who knows, everyone in Germany who preordered their PS5 at the biggest retailer mediamarkt got emails last week, that their order will likely be delayed. -Might be the Corona-issues happening everywhere too though, however the Xbox Series X is getting delivered just fine I've heard...

I'm in the UK and no issues here.

I presume the delay has to be Corona related...Sony wouldn't issue Day 1 preorders if they were not sure they would fulfil them from a manufacturing point of view.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the Bloomberg journalist Takashi Mochizuki the same person who said Sony were having production issues with TSMC? Wasn't this proven to be false by both Sony and TSMC?

I think take this article with a pinch of salt

Boy I wish people vetted actual news sources the way they vet video game ones. Mochizuki is usually on point, but one mistake and suddenly it's "I dunno....probably wrong" because it fits a confirmation bias.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I will buy the absolute top-tier Sony exclusives like Horizon, Last of Us and Spider-Man full price, but for everything else I'll wait for a sale, either physical or digital, or wait for third-party games to go on gamepass.

There is absolutely zero fucking chance of my paying £70 (!!!!!) for a "normal" game.

Oct 27, 2017
Greedy assholes. Games have record sales and record profit from MTX. They wanted more money. That's all. I'm not paying full price.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that big an issue really, even if the prices were higher. It just means less people will buy a game when it releases and more people will wait on sales. Waiting can have more perks than just discount pricing too. A game may have had numerous critical fixes before it gets a discount so those who wait sometimes end up with a better "quality" game from the get-go for a lower price.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
Man, Sony unchallenged are awful. Hopefully they'll not be so dominant, they're really look to price people out of this hobby. Same goes for the others, market needs to remain competitive.

The shit they're pulling with Activision is concerning too.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Boy I wish people vetted actual news sources the way they vet video game ones. Mochizuki is usually on point, but one mistake and suddenly it's "I dunno....probably wrong" because it fits a confirmation bias.

Excuse me?

If someone has been wrong in the past especially with something that only Playstation Senior Levels would know about if true (Production Issues) then yes I am to question and take with a pinch of salt when they release another article which again would have been only discussed at a Senior Level. Their Playstation source has been wrong in the past so it's pretty logical to question.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They should have never raised to even $70 but gamers decided to come out and lick the corporate boot, and here we are.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure people have brought it up already, but it's not the first prince increase in 15 years for Europe. They could have gone $70/70€.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I don't really think this matters. Pricing will plateau at whatever level the markets support, just like always. It's a hype tax for people who have to have the game day one, and it might give publishers the ability to appear to drop prices significantly without losing as much profit as they do currently.

But it's another great reason why physical discs are very good for consumers.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I just wish people actually read the body of the article rather than just the headline editorial slaps on it. It's another measured non-controversial piece filled with pretty obvious cold-take stuff and we have fanboys lining up for a Fake News war anyway.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of when Simon Miller was at Videogamer, and on one of the podcasts he talked about when he worked for Sony during the PS2 days

The execs were all around the table laughing and gloating at the 'suckers' buying memory cards as they were flogging them for circa £20 and they cost them pennies.

Every corp is the same - They'll rinse you for whatever they can.

Sidenote: I really miss the videogamer podcast - Anything of a similar non-serious nature ?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Excuse me?

If someone has been wrong in the past especially with something that only Playstation Senior Levels would know about if true (Production Issues) then yes I am to question and take with a pinch of salt when they release another article which again would have been only discussed at a Senior Level. Their Playstation source has been wrong in the past so it's pretty logical to question.

It's still confirmation bias. Mochizuki has been right far more often than he's been wrong, you're just remembering the wrong thing first. This isn't even a particularly controversial discussion. You think Sony hasn't discussed raising the cost of their games higher than $70? A lot of their biggest titles don't do MTX or season passes. They could make excuses for those.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
It's still confirmation bias. Mochizuki has been right far more often than he's been wrong, you're just remembering the wrong thing first. This isn't even a particularly controversial discussion. You think Sony hasn't discussed raising the cost of their games higher than $70? A lot of their biggest titles don't do MTX or season passes. They could make excuses for those.

Agree to disagree, i'm not engaging with you

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I just wish people actually read the body of the article rather than just the headline editorial slaps on it. It's another measured non-controversial piece filled with pretty obvious cold-take stuff and we have fanboys lining up for a Fake News war anyway.

Yuuuup. Not particularly a surprise, people WANT to stan Sony.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'm in the UK and no issues here.

I presume the delay has to be Corona related...Sony wouldn't issue Day 1 preorders if they were not sure they would fulfil them from a manufacturing point of view.
I think UK is their most important market here in Europe, makes sense to get the best treatement. Germany is a close second I think. I don't know how long the delay will be, they just stated that it "can take a bit longer", some might get their system at launch some might not.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Given that it's already $90 after tax in Ontario, I can safely say the games that I'm willing to spend that money on are Nintendo exclusive, only because they seem to hold the price for a stupid long time. I mean hell, it took ages for them to release a Nintendo Select for the Wii U, and it'll still be a while yet before the Switch get its own line of discounted titles.

If EB Games and GameStop play their cards right, they just might survive yet another generation being the place to buy heavily discounted used games for the frugal gamer.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Ultimately this is the key factor that ERA fails to think when we discuss these things.
These companies aren't our friends nor do they want us to not spend too much money.

They have people paid to research these things, and their goal is one: make the most money out of us without losing us as customers.
This isn't just Sony. MS and Nintendo as well.
Yup, econ 101. They'll do market research, build models with estimated quantities sold at various prices, and go with what they think will maximize revenue. They'll gladly sell fewer units of a game at a higher price if they think they'll make more than selling more copies at a lower price.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I think UK is their most important market here in Europe, makes sense to get the best treatement. Germany is a close second I think. I don't know how long the delay will be, they just stated that it "can take a bit longer", some might get their system at launch some might not.

Fingers crossed for you.

I know that Amazon released emails to cover their backs stating delivery not guaranteed for release date but they do that with every console launch.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Some games are $90+ USD here in Australia now. This is a big reason I'm going to use game pass heavily next gen.

But this isn't surprising. I think most people here should have a look into the basics of price demand curves. Prices will go up until the they get to the point where going higher will lose them money due to lower sales.

So it's going to come down to don't buy games at that price if you want them to change. Maybe because I'm economic more right than most of era (which is still centre left lol), so I don't like it as a consumer but it is how the market works.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Of course a higher price was discussed, just as I'm sure keeping the price at $60 was discussed too.

Do people think Microsoft didn't discuss increasing the price of Game Pass on PC to more than $10 a month even though it was $5 when it launched? How is this even news?

Do you think Nintendo just decided the Switch was going to be $300 by picking it out of a hat?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Microsoft would have loved if Sony had gone even higher then $70 since it would make gamepass an even better deal.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Yup, econ 101. They'll do market research, build models with estimated quantities sold at various prices, and go with what they think will maximize revenue. They'll gladly sell fewer units of a game at a higher price if they think they'll make more than selling more copies at a lower price.

I started thinking about this with TLOU2. The game basically sold between 6 or 7M copies with no discounts.
That alone makes it one of Sony's most successful games this gen, even without reaching 10M so far.

People tend to look at copies sold overall, but don't take into consideration that sometimes more than half of those copies were heavily discounted.

I'd say Spider-Man with 13M copies was much more successful than the first TLOU at 20M, all things considered. But we don't tend to look at things this way.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My strategy of just trying to keep up with Game Pass and buying very few games "Day 1" has worked out well for me. This has been the cheapest generation (to date) for me cost wise.

Yet I've played WAAAAAAYYYY more games and genres than previous gens.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
200.gif

How about stop trying to make 80+ hour games where over half of that is nothing but filler then?
this isn't animation, it's software. filler is cheap

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
They can set de price as high as they want, I will continue paying the price I am pleased with, if I have to wait a few months more, then I'll wait them.

Nov 18, 2017
Ive gone from buying 2 sometimes even 3 or 4 full price games a month to buying 3 full price brand new games for the year.
Doom Eternal, Animal Crossing & Hyrule Warriors 2.

Its just too dangerous to be blowing money right now and i cant imagine im alone here, I think Crash 4 bombing and it also being the first game ive seen launch at £60 is no coincidence.

prepare for more mergers and closures folks, people just dont have the spare income available right now no matter how covid proof this industry supposedly is.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I'm sure everyone has discussed a myriad of prices. That's how selling things go lol

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Didn't stop people from complaining about Microsoft's 2013 DRM fiasco for years and years.

This doesn't seem like an equivalent situation but considering people defended that at the time without it ever being fully baked, I'm not surprised that the tribalism still exists.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They were going to go higher but when the finance department suggested 69.99 Jim Ryan said nice and they just went with that

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
MS and Nintendo aren't selling their games for 80€.

And I won't buy any new game at that price.

3rd Party games are going to be the same in terms of price between Sony and MS. And we need to wait until MS actually releases an Xbox Series X AAA title to know where they will price them.
About Nintendo...well, Switch is a 2016 piece of hardware.

Nintendo is watching for sure.

Also...Nintendo games barely ever get discounted. Sony games get those 2 months after release.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No wonder they were so eager to increase the price to 80€

Man, this still makes me angry...

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Not stanning for Sony on this, but there would have to be a compromise on what people expect from a game and how much it costs to make a game meeting certain expectations.

Oct 31, 2017
3rd Party games are going to be the same in terms of price between Sony and MS. And we need to wait until MS actually releases an Xbox Series X AAA title to know where they will price them.
About Nintendo...well, Switch is a 2016 piece of hardware.

Nintendo is watching for sure.

Also...Nintendo games barely ever get discounted. Sony games get those 2 months after release.

Like I said, if this happens for all three, I'm out! :P

Obviously, I'll do the exact same thing if third parties adopt that new price as well.

Launch aside, I don't expect people to put 80€ on the table for a video game... This is pure madness.