• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony discussed going even higher before settling on $70

Qbu74eT.gif

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Games have always been kinda underpriced to me, so it makes sense. Like, any game I want I know instantly it'll be worth $60 for how much entertainment it gives me.

I mean it's a product you can get dozens of hours of entertainment out of whether it be replaying the game or if it's that long. Like for me it's a steal that I payed $60 for BotW three years ago and have gotten over 200 hours of quality playtime from it since.

Meanwhile movie tickets, which last you two hours and are a one time thing, are about a fourth of the price.

Jan 29, 2018
200.gif

How about stop trying to make 80+ hour games where over half of that is nothing but filler then?

A lot of people like those big games. And if you don't, why do you care what they cost?

Ultimately people are going to pay what games feel worth to them. There are some games I'll pay $70 for, and some that I won't.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
do we know how far did these "discussions" go? i am sure that every publisher had a "discussion" over every kind of pricing

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I mean, they're not wrong. If the consumer is willing to pay more so why not charge more? Especially when a lot people are here are still under the assumption that it's because dev costs have gone up.
Just because some people may pay more , ot doesn't mean everyone would .

I think 70 will be the test . Sure , lot of people only buy 4 or 5 games a year . So not a huge deal I guess. But for people that buy a ton of games , that's of extra money . You also have the people that may struggle to even afford a 60 dollar game so 70 might be tough for some folks .

Money isn't a huge issue to me , so I'm whatever about as I play mostly gamepass games now. Then just buy whatever games omi want that aren't on gamepass .

So idc about the 10 dollar Increase. But if it went to 80 ....a 20 dollar hike . Id probably stop buying games out of principle . Big game companies are making fat money at 60 . 80 , imo , is just pure greed.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Surely this goes both ways. We aren't their friends either and we don't like spending too much of our money, therefore we are free to criticize them and apply pressure to them to drop their prices.
Bingo. The condescending "this is businesses" posts gets a little grating when it's consumers slapping others consumers with it, for wanting the balance to be more favourable in this direction. Something you would hope most would push for when discussing large corporations.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
This is why I prefer subscription services.

I def won't be buying many PS5 games at 69.99.

And that's a perfectly valid approach, people should pay what they deem to be reasonable. I won't be paying £60 for games I will pick them up when they're cheaper. If enough people hold out on purchasing the prices will go back to what they were slowly but surely. Of course people will simply just keep buying them anyway and prices will keep going up.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
As much as Sony argue they have a cohesive pricing strategy, to go from trying to launch Destruction Allstars for $70 to giving it away free with PS+ says otherwise.

As they amass a decent brand of AAA exclusives, I am surprised they haven't tried to go the Nintendo model of having games that stick at $60 for longer, rather than launching at $70 and then inevitably reducing the price some months later.
I could see them going the Nintendo route soon. They aren't at Nintendo's pedigree when it comes to 1st parties but they are close.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the gen where im fully stepping back from day one releases....

Steam sales, and a drip feed of content via game pass is more than enough for me.

I cannot fathom wanting to spend $70+ on a video game.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The $60 video game dates back to at least the 1990s.
Just done a quick inflation calculation and Tekken 3, that cost me £45 back in 1998, would be £80 today. Hell, stuff like Shinobi on the Megadrive would be £90 at todays prices.

I'm not saying it's right as they cost a ridiculous amount of money but they've been that way since consoles came out and we've been paying less for games that cost exponentially more to create than they used to.

The only thing people can do is vote with their wallets and not buy titles day one. Thank God for sales is all I can say!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well...yeah, of course there were discussions on different price points until they settled on something. It's not like they held a roundtable and everyone in unison immediately went "70!" and that was that lol.

That's how you...make decisions?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I mean if you are going to raise the price, of course you will discuss options. You don't just say one price and call it a day.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people like those big games. And if you don't, why do you care what they cost?

Ultimately people are going to pay what games feel worth to them. There are some games I'll pay $70 for, and some that I won't.

The hell kind of a reply is this? I don't like those games, yet I am affected by them thanks to the price hike. Doesn't matter if I like them or not, if their budgets are the primary excuse here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Bloomberg knows how to do clickbaity FUD articles regarding Sony.

Of course some Playstation people have at some point discussed various price points, including staying at $59. But that would obviously not be enough drama.

This isn't an article about Sony. The article is titled "Video Game Prices Are Going Up for the First Time in 15 Years"
Does that sound like 'clickbait' to you? Sony's internal discussions about game pricing is mentioned in pretty much the same tone and context that you've produced above.

Let's try to keep knee jerk reactions to a minimum.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well the only game I see myself buying at that price is FF XVI.

I won't be part of many launch discussions this gen because of that price.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I'm surprised they didn't go $80 tbh
Listen up, in one month a lot of games have sales well except Nintendo games so you don't have to buy it day one
Just wait
Unless you are rich rich

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The only time I ever pay the default prices are when I am buying a console exclusive game. Otherwise, I just buy all third party on PC. Even with the price hike, it will still cost less there even at launch. Game Pass and other such subscription services will see a lot more use too, which eventually the Publishers will bitch about needing to raise prices again to combat lost profits from such services...

If it's up to me I would go a step further, not paying that price for first party either. Because if they sell, all devs will think gamers are willing to pay that price and their games are special and worth the price. I'm not giving them a cent.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
"Sony discussed going even higher before settling on $70."

lol, and that'll be the quote that triggers everyone and gets repeated for a year.

Why do I have a feeling that Activision probably the first to complain to Sony about raising the prices of games. Looks like Bloomingburg is trying to just do a gotcha title (click-bait) to get people to read the article. If you really think Sony is the one that told industry the movie the $70, I have a swamp to sell you in Florida.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure almost every option was brought up and discussed at one point. Even lowering the cost. I have enough money to easily support my gaming but their justification of the price raise rings a bit hollow when they also report record profits and cut employees.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Why do I have a feeling that Activision probably the first to complain to Sony about raising the prices of games. Looks like Bloomingburg is trying to just do a gotcha title (click-bait) to get people to read the article. If you really think Sony is the one that told industry the movie the $70, I have a swamp to sell you in Florida.
The article name is Video Game Prices Are Going Up for the First Time in 15 Years
What clickbait is thread name

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No shit? They likely discussed keeping the price the same too, it's how decisions are made.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them going the Nintendo route soon. They aren't at Nintendo's pedigree when it comes to 1st parties but they are close.
Yeah, they clearly want to go the Nintendo's "our brand is the hot shit" route so bad but i don't think their hardcore customers are as much fidelized and trained to shell out money with no question asked yet.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"They point to inflation, as well as the ballooning cost to develop triple-A games, as justification."
While making record profits thanks to digital stores, mtx, season passes etc etc.
Also while doging taxes, not paying devs fairly and making games unnecessary big with pandinger bullshit. Nobody forced you to make every game 100h long

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
With my buying habits, ~5 full price purchases a year the $70 is mostly inconsequential. The vast majority of my purchases are made via sales.

Jan 29, 2018
The hell kind of a reply is this? I don't like those games, yet I am affected by them thanks to the price hike. Doesn't matter if I like them or not, if their budgets are the primary excuse here.

But the price hike isn't universal as far as I can tell. The bloated, 80 hour open world games at PS5 launch are $60 (Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed) and the first party prestige game (Demons Souls) is $70.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If Microsoft's smart they'll hold $59.99 for 1st party. EA, T2 and Activision might not like it but it's an easy competitive and PR win with consumers, like when Sony dropped their 1st party to $39.99 in the mid 90s to draw a stark contrast with Sega and (especially) Nintendo. Also helps position Xbox as the choice for value with a $299 console, GamePass, etc.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even like paying 60 for games.

I can see why they'll raise the prices tho, but as a consumer. I'm patient to wait for a price drop on-certain games

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Games have always been kinda underpriced to me, so it makes sense. Like, any game I want I know instantly it'll be worth $60 for how much entertainment it gives me.

I mean it's a product you can get dozens of hours of entertainment out of whether it be replaying the game or if it's that long. Like for me it's a steal that I payed $60 for BotW three years ago and have gotten over 200 hours of quality playtime from it since.

Meanwhile movie tickets, which last you two hours and are a one time thing, are about a fourth of the price.
Why comparing it with movie tickets? That's not the same thing. You pay for everything that allows you to watch the movie, not just the movie.
You can compare movie ticket price to VR experience place price if you want.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Outside of the Sony exclusives, there aren't many $70 games. Godfall and cod are cheaper outside of next gen.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Someone didn't click the link and read the article.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If this happens I propose we do not do GOTY awards until a year after the year being ranked. I'm buying almost zero games at $80 and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. I need a chance for them to fall to $40 or less.