• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you pay $9.99 for Apple TV+?

• A. Yes

Votes: 18 2.9%
  • B. No

Votes: 282 45.2%
  • C. Depends on the total content

Votes: 40 6.4%
  • D. Depends on how good the content is

Votes: 137 22.0%
  • C and D

Votes: 144 23.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 0.5%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Edit: Supposedly there is mature content coming. Some people below said otherwise but that was rumored last year and denied by Apple this summer.

Original OP:

I love Apple but I'm a bit shook at this costing more than Disney+, but with as little as just 5 shows known...

Granted Apple is also spending wildly on their content at $6 billion rumored so far for the service.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ing-launch-of-apple-video-service-by-november
Apple hasn't announced pricing for Apple TV+, but is weighing $9.99 a month, the people said, which would match Apple Music and Apple News+. Netflix and Amazon Prime charge as little as $8.99, while Disney+ plans to seek $6.99 when its service debuts in November.
Apple's initial slate of shows will include "The Morning Show," Steven Spielberg's "Amazing Stories," "See" with Jason Momoa, "Truth Be Told" with Octavia Spencer, and a documentary series about extravagant houses called "Home."

Last edited:

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing there will be a month free trial. I'll try some shows with that and see if they are any good.

9.99 seems high of the amount of content.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yea no way especially with us knowing they won't have more mature content, I want the type of shows not possible on regular cable, things like Power, Game of Thrones, Sopranos. Disney is the same but their IP runs deep and the service is cheaper so they can get away with it.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Some companies are going to get a wake up call on the value of their brand and content.

I suspect Apple will be one of them.

I'm giving it three years tops for the heard to be thinned.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
This is probably the streaming service I'm looking forward to the least.

Really hope some of these fail. I mean, thank God Google realized it was a fool's errand to even try and abandoned their plans.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
After watching "The Morning Show" trailer, I'm not sure. I'm fully embedded in the Apple ecosystem, and I'm more excited about their game subscription than this. Its mostly personal preference, wondering if Apple will make the content that really interests me. Its scary hearing the stories too about the creatives working for Apple feeling that they're a bit stifled and that Apple wants thinks very very very safe. That space show looks good, however.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Hard pass. I do my best to make sure Apple doesn't get any of my money and I am not gonna stop just because they decide to start doing a streaming service.

I'll stick with Amazon, Netflix, and Disney.

Aug 19, 2019
London
A handful of their shows are interesting to me, so I'll sign up for a few months. Like with Disney+, I will be an on/off subscriber based on the content. Netflix and Prime are the only services I subscribe to all year around, as well as SkyQ with movies and sports. (That said, I've kept Starzplay around longer than my initial offer, so I could see a scenario where I just let them all roll-on.)

enanogrande

Oct 30, 2017
Won't even consider paying more than $5 a month for it personally. The only chance they have (IMO) is being a premium/curated service (a streaming version of HBO), not many shows but all high quality, as an add-on sub to the other, "wider" streaming services. Take advantage of the fact that most users will hopefully see Disney+, Hulu, etc. through the Apple TV app and grab some subscribers that way... but no one will pay $10 for an add-on. And I don't see Apple shelling out for archival content from others, so... wtf is their plan?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would be better if it were cheaper, and on more devices but because it's Apple it won't.

Their approach is going isn't going to work for this kind of model and I'd be shocked if this doesn't go down as a giant failure, if not their biggest.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some companies are going to get a wake up call on the value of their brand and content.

the big streaming apps only need to wait or these services to fail and then go on a shopping spree. many of the rights holders are gonna miss the guaranteed income the big streaming apps used to pay them. apple chose a bad time to seriously jump into the streaming game. nobody wants to sell them the rights to their content when everybody is trying to make their own streaming app.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I hate when people say: "nobody asked for this", but goddamit is it so appropriate now.

Apple is walking into a game it hasn't played, and I think they'll fail.
Too bad, cause I like Apple Music.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017

The masochist in me is just begging to find out which multi billion dollar corporation gets a wake up call first. There is no way all of these streaming services survive at least not with heavy losses.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ yes, Apple TV+ no. There's nothing I want to see on Apple TV+ so far. Even CBS All Access at least has some Star Trek series and The Price is Right.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
The success of the content is what matters most. They got some really great potential in some of these shows and whatnot, but with all these new streaming services I think wait and see is the best approach.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
83927ce52881168fbef96b88c7236f46.jpg

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Their shows all seem so bad that I was thinking it might end up being the kind of deal where they let you watch them for free, as long as you watch it on one of their devices. An incentive to buy more of their stuff. Needless to say I'm not going to be paying to watch them.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Insiders in the past have described this Apple service as "high budget NBC" due to the mature content restrictions Apple is putting in place.

I can't say I'm a fan of paying monthly for that sort of content, and it's also my biggest contention with how Disney is splitting content up between Disney+ and Hulu.

If Apple has something really REALLY great. MAYBE I'll subscribe for a month or so. If I can watch it free on an Apple device then sure I'll watch it all the time, but I doubt I'll ever be a regular paying subscriber.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Market is too crowded. Amazon has a hard time and its bundled on people. Also WB and NBC and CBS are all fucking us with their spinoffs.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
The masochist in me is just begging to find out which multi billion dollar corporation gets a wake up call first. There is no way all of these streaming services survive at least not with heavy losses.
Netflix
Disney: Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+
WarnerMedia: HBO Max
NBCUniversal/Sky: AVOD service
ViacomCBS: Pluto TV and CBS All Access (and Showtime)
Amazon: Prime Video
Apple: Apple TV+

Netflix is too large as the incumbent, so will definitely survive. Disney and WarnerMedia have too much content, they should fill out the next tier. Prime Video is attached to Prime so it will persist.

NBCUniversal is an ad supported service that is free for Comcast and Sky users, I see them being fine.

ViacomCBS and Apple I don't see how their services prosper.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how reporters and insiders were saying Apple was mulling giving this content for free for iOS users, maybe new iPhone users, to now costing $9.99. I want to subscribe and see this new content but $9.99 which would be $12.99 in Canada is too much for my blood.

I was thinking Apple would offer their content like free to new iPhone purchasers, a Flat fee, or an add-on to existing streaming services but maybe it's too complicated to have these different pricing models so they have to settle at a $x.xx/month. But at $9.99 yeah that's too much if its only new content and no old library etc.,

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone fully invested not the Apple ecosystem, this is a no from me dawg. I'm not going.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Apples kinda due for a major failure, feel like the only people who will pay for this will sub for a month because it's Apple and forget to cancel for a year.

Launching up next to the cheaper and better Disney+ is just the worst move I've seen Apple make in a while.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriber. I only have room for one more streaming service and that will be Disney.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yea no way especially with us knowing they won't have more mature content, I want the type of shows not possible on regular cable, things like Power, Game of Thrones, Sopranos. Disney is the same but their IP runs deep and the service is cheaper so they can get away with it.
Insiders in the past have described this Apple service as "high budget NBC" due to the mature content restrictions Apple is putting in place.

I can't say I'm a fan of paying monthly for that sort of content, and it's also my biggest contention with how Disney is splitting content up between Disney+ and Hulu.

If Apple has something really REALLY great. MAYBE I'll subscribe for a month or so. If I can watch it free on an Apple device then sure I'll watch it all the time, but I doubt I'll ever be a regular paying subscriber.
The mature content restriction isn't true anymore it seems. I thought it was, but Apple denied it and said there will absolutely be content inappropriate for family viewing and aimed at mature adults. He cited one of the launch shows, The Morning Show, as an example of adult language being allowed.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I have no idea how they plan to compete with Disney and HBO Max without any kind of back catalogue or IPs of note. Amazon and Netflix already have a huge head start when it comes to cranking out entirely new content.

they feed like the odd man out when it comes to this streaming war. Wouldn't be surprised if they do whatever it takes to lock down the Seinfeld streaming rights, just to have some kind of evergreen show as a part of the library.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Apple has got the capital and they def are capable to dipping into the market. It only depends on how committed they are. They did it with Apple Music (albeit they laid the foundations years before with iTunes).

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Will sub for a month to watch certain shows just like I do with cbs all access, hbo, showtime, Hulu, etc. people thinking they have to buy this and stay subbed for years at a time are not playing the streaming game correctly.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Eh, I'll do the same thing I with Hulu and just sub for a month when I want to watch a show. Every month? No thanks. (Currently only subscribe to Netflix, and will likely subscribe to Disney+ for my kid and all the Marvel stuff.)

I could be convinced if Apple Music started supporting Google Home, which could let me drop Spotify, and the offered some kind of bundle. $10 a month for a few shows sounds like Apple in HomePod territory.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not interested in any streaming service, but I can't believe so many people here would rather pay for Disney than whatever Apple has cooking. How many times can y'all watch Marvel wank and Disney cartoons? At least this seems to have some original stuff for adults.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Apple will need to either buy a lot of known content or play the long game to build a worthy library to have people sub for $10+ a month. A few shows with big actors won't be enough to keep people on the service obviously.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
$6 billion is a rounding error for Apple's revenues. They can outlast anyone in the game save Disney if they want to play it.

Apple has close to 250 billion in cash on hand compared to 6 billion for Disney. Apple could last significantly longer. The interest on Apple's cash is worth more than Disney's cash every year.