• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 26, 2019
sure, apple store is worse than EGS, but EGS is far worse than google in this regard. Android can use any store, side load apps, and google isn't bribing developers to prevent them from releasing on their own.
Android = Windows is the comparison to make here. You can use any store on Windows. It's literally exactly the same.

I'm not going into the "bribing" part of because that's just silly.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
This makes zero sense. It is their hardware, their platform and their choice. I admit google are a bigger issue because they often tout android as an open platform, but I haven't seen much to say that it isn't.
It is open, in the sense that you can sideload, or install your own store.

In practice competing stores haven't found much success.

I have applications that I use regularly, from outside the play sore

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Epic's own store charges a 12% fee and generates a 5% to 7% profit margin, he said.

Ya because you do the absolute bare minimum and don't invest in anything other than buying exclusives lmao.

It's so dumb because Sweeney knows the 12% cut prevents them from offering store gift cards & paying surcharge fees from merchants that charge extremely high ones like their competition does as those margins would essentially approach 0%.

He's so focused on being JUST a (bog standard, still missing basic features like a Shopping Cart) store that solely exists to give publishers more money, and completely avoids being a good service and platform for everyone to use.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really the same argument.

Unreal as an engine exists within an open marketplace. A dev can decide to use it or not. You buy a iPhone you're essentially locked to the App Store and there's no price competition.
The consumer has a choice to buy an iPhone or not. Also, side loading apps on Android is a thing. He just wants epic game store to grow to mobile platforms and I assume wants to sell apps with his store and tencent definitely wants in on the app market. Motives are not pure. The modern day corporation is a monopoly (including Epic and tencent).

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Look he may be a self-serving dickhead, but he's right that it's bullshit. Companies should be able to do things like sell stuff through apps without Apple taking a cut e.g. Comixology don't sell comics through their app because they don't want to give the 30% cut to Apple, users are forced to instead go through the website to make the purchase.

In a world where a huge percentage of digital interactions are done via mobile phone apps, it is fucking bullshit that you get gatekeepers like Apple get to clip the ticket on every single transaction that occurs there.

COCONUT

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So he already lose billions trying to compete vs Valve using exclusives and making games available only on their shit. Now he criticizes the same. Curious.
Lose vs Valve and now trying with Apple... this guy has a problem

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Look he may be a self-serving dickhead, but he's right that it's bullshit. Companies should be able to do things like sell stuff through apps without Apple taking a cut e.g. Comixology don't sell comics through their app because they don't want to give the 30% cut to Apple, users are forced to instead go through the website to make the purchase.

In a world where a huge percentage of digital interactions are done via mobile phone apps, it is fucking bullshit that you get gatekeepers like Apple get to clip the ticket on every single transaction that occurs there.
Yeah that's my thoughts as well.

Dec 26, 2019
so you refuse to compare stores, in a thread, about comparing stores.
No, I refuse to compare "Android" to "EGS". It's "Play Store" running on Android vs "EGS" running on Windows. It's even significantly easier on Windows to install any other store than to sideload apps on Android. It just doesn't make any sense. Epic doesn't prevent you from running applications not bought on their store on your Windows device, do they?

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Why you gotta bring nationalist rhetoric into it?

Lots of countries have anti-competition laws. Why call these multinational companies un-American over un-Dutch or un-Australian unless it's to appeal to some jingoistic US exceptionalism?

Also the idea of equating un-American to being bad is borderline xenophobic. Lidl is un-American. IKEA is un-American. A little authentic Polish cafe is un-American. And they're all the better for it.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing more American than having a monopoly

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
No, I refuse to compare "Android" to "EGS". It's "Play Store" running on Android vs "EGS" running on Windows. It's even significantly easier on Windows to install any other store than to sideload apps on Android. It just doesn't make any sense. Epic doesn't prevent you from running applications not bought on their store on your Windows device, do they?
Well technically speaking on that last bit, android doesn't prevent you from installing or running out of store apps either. It just has it disabled by default due to the fear of virus and malware which you can change if you want to..

Idk if iOs allows install of out of store apps AT ALL or not tough since i never used an iPhone..

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Doesn't China/Tencent have something like 40% share of Epic? Doesn't Epic do exclusive deals and essentialy take games away from competing stores?

I'm starting to think Tim has some personal health issues with all his talk. Either that or he's very bitter EGS isn't taking the world by storm and wants to blame everyone else for why that is.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Out of curiosity: when I buy games through the Steam app on my Android phone that I downloaded off the Play Store, does Google get a cut?

Oct 25, 2017
on windows, you down load the other store, and run it. On android, you uncheck a checkbox, download the other store, and run it...

If you want to make an argument of the proposition of trying to compete with google's store on android that'd be one thing, but trying to argue its difficult to install another store on android is laughably stupid.

and again, this is a thread comparing app stores, so again, why are you refusing to compare google's app store to EGS

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
He's correct, it's deeply anti-competitive. No, EGS exclusives are not the same thing even though I dislike them.
Yeah yeah monopolistic practices are very American and all, but come on, you guys know what he means.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

How does that work on game consoles? The flat rate appears to be 30% across the board. Why should Apple who has invested billions into make IOS what it is today, allow anyone to simply piggyback off of their devices and get nothing in return?

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I always feel a bit conflicted on these topics because Apple/Google (as well as other platform holders like the "big 3") do deserve a generous cut of anything sold on their platform. They took the risk and invested the billions in developing these things and cultivating an audience.

Likewise, I can see how frustrating it must be for a developer and many of them are struggling as it is. Maybe the right path would be to continue to take 30% from rich shitheads like Tim/Tencent and lower the cut to 10-15% on the first x number of sales for smaller devs.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ya because you do the absolute bare minimum and don't invest in anything other than buying exclusives lmao.

It's so dumb because Sweeney knows the 12% cut prevents them from offering store gift cards & paying surcharge fees from merchants that charge extremely high ones like their competition does as those margins would essentially approach 0%.

He's so focused on being JUST a (bog standard, still missing basic features like a Shopping Cart) store that solely exists to give publishers more money, and completely avoids being a good service and platform for everyone to use.

This nails it for me. It's really easy to talk about how low your margins are when you're not prioritizing the development of your platform in any tangible way.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
If he's so upset about the phone duopoly then he should consider investing in companies like pine64 and purism. They're making Linux based phones and could surely use support in getting them going. That and the different distros like PostmarketOS and UBports, etc. The world could be his.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I agree. At least the App Store have some degree of curation (if you never leave the home page), but there's no excuse for Android not to "officialy" have multiple stores as choice is a key feature in that system.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It's as American as it gets. These companies are giving consumers a choice: buy into our platform, or don't. If there is sufficient consumer outcry for an open platform without these restrictions, some firm out there will try to serve that niche and make that profit.

So basically: either people don't care enough for this to be an issue, or they do care and it's an opportunity waiting To be seized and profited from.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to say he has no point, but 1: He's mostly just mad that he has to pay a cut to Apple and Google, 2: These companies spend tons of money curating, maintaining the OS/storefront, dealing with CC fees, gift card fees, etc and he conveniently forgets about all that, and 3: When you create a platform it's 100% normal for everything to have to go through your ecosystem (consoles, phones, etc) so he shouldn't pick and choose who he complains about.

He loves to pick and choose his complaints, such as Steam's 30%, while conveniently forgetting to mention that his storefront sucks, is missing tons of basic and more advanced features other storefronts (especially Steam) have, lacks multiple payment methods Steam offers (because it costs too much), and has a history of paying companies not to release elsewhere just to entice people to use it. Doesn't sound like someone who champions competition.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I mean he is obviously right, but he doesn't argue for the little guy or competition from a consumer perspective. He just want's a part of the cake and he is going to approach it in the same way as he did with the Epic Store on PC, if Apple and Google are getting regulated like he wants.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
If he's so upset about the phone duopoly then he should consider investing in companies like pine64 and purism. They're making Linux based phones and could surely use support in getting them going. That and the different distros like PostmarketOS and UBports, etc. The world could be his.
Seeing how EGS is purposefully ignoring the existence of Linux, I would not get my hopes up on that.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I always feel a bit conflicted on these topics because Apple/Google (as well as other platform holders like the "big 3") do deserve a generous cut of anything sold on their platform. They took the risk and invested the billions in developing these things and cultivating an audience.

Likewise, I can see how frustrating it must be for a developer and many of them are struggling as it is. Maybe the right path would be to continue to take 30% from rich shitheads like Tim/Tencent and lower the cut to 10-15% on the first x number of sales for smaller devs.

I don't think it's fair to compare console makers to Apple and Google. Consoles only exist because of that cut. Apple make a fortune on hardware and Google on services.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. At least the App Store have some degree of curation (if you never leave the home page), but there's no excuse for Android not to "officialy" have multiple stores as choice is a key feature in that system.
Android is also curated just to a lesser degree than iOS. And, as mentioned a few times in this thread, side-loading is super simple to do on Android. It's entirely possible to have another storefront. In fact, Amazon Appstore is one such alternative. Samsung has their own store as well (at least they used to when I had a Galaxy phone), etc etc. The point is kind of lost when you realize there are already choices and people are free to use what they want. Just so happens they mostly use the one that has the best feature set for them, which happens to be the App Store or Google Play.

Dec 26, 2019
on windows, you down load the other store, and run it. On android, you uncheck a checkbox, download the other store, and run it...

If you want to make an argument of the proposition of trying to compete with google's store on android that'd be one thing, but trying to argue its difficult to install another store on android is laughably stupid.

and again, this is a thread comparing app stores, so again, why are you refusing to compare google's app store to EGS
Excuse me, but your initial quote was:

sure, apple store is worse than EGS, but EGS is far worse than google in this regard. Android can use any store, side load apps, and google isn't bribing developers to prevent them from releasing on their own.
You said "EGS" is far worse than "Google". Which it is just not. Google Play Store has full curation. EGS has full curation. You can load any app on Android. You can load any app on Windows. It's the same.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
But on Android, you do sort of have a choice. You can put the APK of your app anywhere and people can download the app. Epic literally did that with Fortnite.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
But the American way is to consolidate and kill off competition. Why be competitive when you can take most of the profits for yourself.
Unfettered capitalism is the best American way.