• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

From their article:

With Apple Inc. and Google set to face an antitrust hearing on Capitol Hill Wednesday, Tim Sweeney, chief executive officer of Epic Games, is accusing them of being a "duopoly."

Epic, which makes the popular Fortnite game, says the two companies' dominant app stores charge excessively high fees to list games. Apple and Google take 30% of revenue from paid apps that use their stores. But the costs of operating an app store amount to just a small fraction of that amount, Sweeney said in an interview with Emily Chang on Bloomberg Television. Epic's own store charges a 12% fee and generates a 5% to 7% profit margin, he said.

"You can't have a tech monopoly dominating all, all interactions between consumers and businesses on a scale of billions of users," Sweeney said. "It just creates the same sorts of a concentration of power problems. It's the railroads, right?"

The solution, he said, would be to unbundle different services that the tech companies offer. For example, payment services should be separated from app stores, so developers have choices.

It may also mean allowing competing stores, like Epic's, to list in the rival stores -- something that the company has tried but failed to secure so far.

"They don't allow competing stores," Sweeney said. "Imagine a town that only allowed a Target and disallowed any other stores from building. I mean, that's totally un-American and uncompetitive. But that's exactly what Apple does in an absolute sense."

Source:

www.bloomberg.com

Fortnite’s Tim Sweeney Comes Out Swinging at Apple, Google

With Apple Inc. and Google set to face an antitrust hearing on Capitol Hill Wednesday, Tim Sweeney, chief executive officer of Epic Games, is accusing them of being a “duopoly.”

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Imagine if Epic allowed Steam to sell games on EGS. It seems pretty unamerican that they don't.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine paying someone to not sell their product at other stores but only yours, very un-american.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO. I'd say moneyhatting exclusives to be sold ONLY through their platform is also pretty un-American.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Tim continues to be a tool.

Un-American? Motherfucker, we are a country that constantly puts capitalism before the well fare of the people. You want to be competitive, start with your own damn store. The audacity of him to even try to talk about another company being uncompetitive is astounding.

Even when he's trying to make a point, he's still coming off as a dumbass that just tosses out whatever buzzword is on his corporate word of the day calendar.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
As not an American, I don't know, trillion dollar companies taking away consumer freedom in exchange for massive profits seems pretty American to me.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg TV said:
"You can't have a tech monopoly dominating all, all interactions between consumers and businesses on a scale of billions of users," Sweeney said. "It just creates the same sorts of a concentration of power problems. It's the railroads, right?"

Monopoly you say?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Did google make it hard for Fortnite to be downloaded outside of Google Play or something? I know you probably can't download anything outside of Apple Store, I couldn't even transfer video files to my sister's phone, I gave up messing with iTunes or some app that it required at the time.

I'm so glad Microsoft Store only Windows was rejected. We have Linux now at least, there's no way Microsoft would try that again I think.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
What a stupid way to put it, but I'm up for any fight that could lead to getting around the App Store.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's right, if they were American, they'd probably be taking more than 30%.

Oct 25, 2017
How is it ironic? You are free to buy games from any store on PC. No, having EGS exclusives is not the same as the Apple store restriction that literally any sale on their platforms has to go through them and they curate however they like.
sure, apple store is worse than EGS, but EGS is far worse than google in this regard. Android can use any store, side load apps, and google isn't bribing developers to prevent them from releasing on their own.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
Not allowing competition and knee capping competition is easily the most American thing I've ever heard.
Edit: Also Sweeney saying this is like pot calling the kettle black.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The messaging could be better, but I generally like Tim's moxie when it comes to this topic :')
Exclusives still suck doe. Come on, man!

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This makes zero sense. It is their hardware, their platform and their choice. I admit google are a bigger issue because they often tout android as an open platform, but I haven't seen much to say that it isn't.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I don't necessarily disagree with the basic point that the control Apple and Google exert over their ecosystems could eventually be considered more net negative than positive—even to a degree that could merit regulatory intervention at some point. But his position comes from a place of such transparent self-interest that it's hard to take seriously.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Why does he not have the same issue with the consoles?
Well you can buy console games physically, or via download codes, both from a variety of online and brick and mortar stores.

I believe Android allows you to buy apps from 3rd party stores though right? Like Amazon or whatever? I don't really buy phone apps or games, unless it's directly from the play store so I don't really know.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Sweeney is losing his mind.
Tim no like thing that make it hard for Tim to make money. He's been quite consistent with that over the years.
I'm not sure why people listen to the man outside of engine programming, he's neither particularly eloquent, knowledgeable about things outside his niche nor has he ever expressed interesting general ideas about anything in particular. He's just a boring CEO who happens to be very vocal.