• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I don't think this is limited to video games. A lot of their stuff is more along the lines of just having an offering than actually being a market leader

calder

Oct 25, 2017
A lot to uncover in this fantastic article. Make sure to give the whole thing a read.

www.bloomberg.com

Amazon Can Make Just About Anything—Except a Good Video Game

The company produces successful movies, TV shows, e-readers and speakers, but gaming has proven difficult to crack.

I'd love to but Bloomberg makes it literally impossible. A giant splash screen telling me to sign up, and every option just brings me back to the home page? Thanks web designers lol.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Amazon is such a dogshit company to work for. It's not surprised me that they've never, and will never find success in games. Games are completely about user experience and this is something no one at Amazon understands.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Given the response to publishers tying pay to metacritic scores and such it's interesting to see the article portray a lack of bonuses tied to metacritic and sales as a bad thing.
I think there are scales of bad industry practice around bonuses. While paying them based on length of service obviously isn't as bad as paying them based on factors beyond their control like arbitrary values on metacritic scores, the article does outline how it has led, in this company's management culture, to hindered critical discussion that might improve products. As people are incentivised to protect their job and benefits from hostile management that doesn't want to hear criticism, rather than disagree with apparently poor leadership, even while the company policy says to do the opposite.

Amazon didn't give employees much financial incentive to release anything, either. Most big game companies pay staff bonuses based in part on the critical and commercial response to their games, but Amazon's stock plan only rewards employees for time spent at the company. That led some to prioritize job preservation over anything else, say three former employees. They say they watched colleagues avoid arguments and only seek to placate bosses like Frazzini, even when they disagreed. (This was in defiance of the Amazon principle "Have backbone; disagree and commit.")

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
" Amazon didn't give employees much financial incentive to release anything, either. Most big game companies pay staff bonuses based in part on the critical and commercial response to their games, but Amazon's stock plan only rewards employees for time spent at the company. That led some to prioritize job preservation over anything else, say three former employees. "

I gotto say, I see this as a positive. If good pay without bonuses (that are tied to sometimes arbitrary numbers that have nothing to do with job or company performance) leads to job-preservation tactics among employees, then it's a company culture problem (or they are working in bad hierarchies on uninspriing projects) and not an argument to push for more darwinian capitalism.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to but Bloomberg makes it literally impossible. A giant splash screen telling me to sign up, and every option just brings me back to the home page? Thanks web designers lol.
i guarantee you the web designers and developers had no say

execs in every business drive this shit

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Creative industries don't quite work out like that. Instead there's a higher likelihood that a creative team is aquired, gets a short term bag, and then is mismanaged by the publishing side and kicked to the curb. With games, TV, movies, and music, you can always tell when suits got too involved and fucked everything up.

Fair enough but isn't this what Netflix has been doing. Essentially putting pressure on the rest of the industry to step up and pay their creatives handsomely otherwise they will poach your top creators.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
Great read. Really interesting to read about how tone deaf corporate bro culture. I hope all artists and developers who were ignored in meetings land at a place that truly values their talent.

It's also funny to think that during all that time Amazon was trying to make games with infinite resources ConcernedApe toiled away by himself making an absolute classic.

Edit: interesting isn't the right word about bro culture. It's disgusting and childish, but astounds me that it is even allowed to exist to this day. Especially at a place as big as Amazon.

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida
Or more precisely, Amazon isn't good at making a GAAS title!?
Who is?
tenor.gif

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be what you'd expect when the person leading has no idea about anything gaming related

I can't see any companies actually wanting to get bought by Amazon with this guy at the helm. This quote is hilarious. No visions, just blatantly chasing money
Who could have possibly guessed this is what they were doing??

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm against the idea that someone who has no knowledge of games is unfit to lead a studio.
Yamauchi absolutely despised the gaming landscape and anything attached to it (slight hyperbole) but he still ran Nintendo in its heyday.
They just have to listen to the people who actually DO things.
Know your lane and don't stand in the way

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
holy shit, each paragraph is a whole horror story on it's own, but everything mixed ... poor devs

Amazon was hiring senior people at double market rate + stock that would vest after 3 years. they were on 300k/yr+ with another quarter million-plus in stock if they stuck it out. I'd work at amazon for 3 years for a million dollars.

Likely some of those devs took the payday and are able to use the money they earned to fun new independent projects.

this is all wildly unsurprising if you know anything about how amazon is run. they're successful despite their organizational structure, not because of it. This guy definitely needs to get bumped from the gaming division though.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Executives under Frazzini initially rejected charges that New World, an Amazon game that would ask players to colonize a mythical land and murder inhabitants who bear a striking resemblance to Native Americans, was racist. They relented after Amazon hired a tribal consultant who found that the portrayal was indeed offensive, say two people who worked on the project.
JFC!

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
If Amazon can't learn the lessons of Genshin Impact then they are totally hopeless as a corporate minded gaming developer.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Amazon is spending nearly $500 million a year operating the video game division, two people familiar with the budget say. That amount doesn't include Twitch or a new project under different management, which is building a service to stream games to a computer, phone or Amazon Fire TV.

I thought MSFT spending spree in early 00s was the biggest loss of opportunity for a company of its size but here we are.
$500M/year for absolutely nothing.
Not a disappointed game or a bulky unwieldy console I don't even want to think of buying.
N O T H I N G

How the fuck did Amazon not close that division already, it's making zero cash and is a massive pit hole!

e: direct demand from Bezos is how.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Fascinating article.

It was a somewhat controversial hire, as Hartmann was also responsible for some high-profile failures, such as The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, which led to the developer's demise.

The game was just ok (I did buy it at a bargain price), but I had no idea it killed Take-Two. That doesn't sound right.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So far, probably for the first Battlefront. Precise and concise, understandable experience and execution.

i know this is not how pitch works at all but i can SEE a scene of a person entering a room of executives, showing the "Battlefield 1942" logo on a power point and then saying "but how about this" and then the next power point slide appears like a "star wars" on top to make like a "Star Wars' Battlefield 1942" and the executives all do a stand ovation

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
i know this is not how pitch works at all but i can SEE a scene of a person entering a room of executives, showing the "Battlefield 1942" logo and then saying "but how about this" and then it appears like a "star wars" on top to make like a "Star Wars' Battlefield 1942" and the executives all do a stand ovation

I wish that worked for my billion dollars idea, What if Battlefield, but with sexy vampires that are also pirates!?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn sounds like one gigantic toxic shitshow with an incompetent asshole at the helm with more money than they know what to do with so they just keep going.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Frazzini helped kick off the games initiative in 2012 and soon became boss.

THIS SHIT HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE 2012?!?

I recant any criticism I ever had for early gaming MSFT or even Google or Stadia
You can read the whole story in PRESS RESET: Ruin and Recovery in the Video Game Industry, out May 11 at a bookstore near you.
Ironically enough we can find your books on Amazon, right?
If we ever do meet, I do want to have something for you to sign :p ,
You're doing fantastic work really.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Fair enough but isn't this what Netflix has been doing. Essentially putting pressure on the rest of the industry to step up and pay their creatives handsomely otherwise they will poach your top creators.

From what I've heard and read, Netflix respects creators and gives them tons of money and free liberties instead of trying to impose certain things on them for a status quo. They still end up taking the blame for when a project gets screwed up(like the live action Death Note movie) but those faults weren't because of them. That's the difference.

Edit: On a side note, Netflix's other problem is when a show barely performs under quo and isn't given a chance to make a third season, which leaves a lot of shows stuck in Season 2 hell which is horrible when they end on a cliffhanger.

Compare that to something like the recent mismanagement of the Star Wars movies, where maybe someone didn't want to make a Han Solo movie but the suits decided it needed to happen because Han Solo is a popular character and sells.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I will forever hate Amazon Games for ripping Double Helix away from KI only to have the studio do absolutely nothing of value. What a waste.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Teams had deadlines, but they proved to be flexible, and overtime requests were infrequent, more than a dozen former employees say.
It started really well though.

One aspect of working at Amazon felt similar to traditional game companies. The studios cultivated a "bro culture" in which women often weren't given the same opportunities as men, former employees say. Four female game developers say their worst experiences of sexism in the industry were at Amazon.
Or maybe not...

Jul 26, 2018
It's not just video games. Take prime videos, the smart TV app is simply a letdown and the content is just about okay to keep you busy for a couple months, but one runs out of good content sooner than later. Maybe they just don't get entertainment altogether.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
On a different occasion, says another developer, the team cringed as Frazzini struggled to differentiate between hyper-polished conceptual footage and live gameplay

Oof.
So you see this post ?
I'm against the idea that someone who has no knowledge of games is unfit to lead a studio.
Yamauchi absolutely despised the gaming landscape and anything attached to it (slight hyperbole) but he still ran Nintendo in its heyday.
They just have to listen to the people who actually DO things.
Know your lane and don't stand in the way
So I'd like to add that at least having a vague knowledge on the thing your team is leading is probably a good idea.
Like a rando at e3 has deeper knowledge than the dude at the head of the gaming division at Amazon!

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon like alot of companieshave tried to chase after trends. oh a MOBA is popular try and make a moba. Oh a shooter Moba is the new hot shit well we better make a shooter Moba etc. New World is their only truly unique approach at a game and honestly I think it could be a huge success for them.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
One aspect of working at Amazon felt similar to traditional game companies. The studios cultivated a "bro culture" in which women often weren't given the same opportunities as men, former employees say. Four female game developers say their worst experiences of sexism in the industry were at Amazon. They shared stories of being ignored and undermined by male executives and say they were eventually driven out of the company. One former employee says male colleagues completely ignored her comments in meetings. Another says a member of senior leadership impeded her career growth after she disagreed with him and that he created new management positions above her and filled them with men.

Morbidly this is the least shocking detail from the story.
Doubt there's many tech companies that aren't rife with sexism and the other usual gross shit.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pretty much any great developer would struggle when the orders were these:

All that mattered was that they make the most ambitious games possible, ones that would draw gamers into the Amazon Prime ecosystem and showcase the technical capabilities of its cloud division. Allowing 10,000 people to play in a single game session was given to the new team as a lofty target. Two projects under this directive became known around the office as the "Bezos games."​
The game studios even established their own separate set of principles, although the credos frequently changed and sometimes were in tension with one another, say four people who worked there. Each game world should accommodate as many players as possible, yet also be fun to play solo at the same time. They had to be huge financial successes on a Call of Duty scale but also innovative and unlike anything the world had seen before. To experienced game developers, these rules seemed like a surefire way to not release anything.​

Chasing trends like a dog chasing cars:
Some meetings got sidetracked when Frazzini, armed with the latest VentureBeat article about whatever game was making the most money that month, demanded they chase a new trend, four developers say. The team wound up designing lesser versions of popular games, a desperate strategy laid out in a recent Wired article. Riot Games Inc.'s League of Legends inspired an Amazon project called Nova that was canned in 2017. Epic Games Inc.'s Fortnite led to another Amazon game, Intensity, canceled in 2019. Activision Blizzard Inc.'s Overwatch begot Amazon's Crucible, which would suffer a similar fate.​

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Wait Lumbyard is actually open to the public as in people can use it for free?
I didn't even know that.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Wait was the MMO flat out cancelled? I thought they just delayed the launch after Crucible died.