• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's in the laptops. It's in the servers , the routers , the phones - EVERYTHING they make.
They are a fully functioning intelligence branch of the Chinese government.
I get pretty upset over this stuff. The USA criminal charges are not enough. For me this is grounds for war.
Obviously they fucking don't.

This is the most obvious news ever. All Chinese tech companies need to be banned be NATO and Major Non-NATO Ally nations.
That Yellow Peril must be some good shit.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, I'm totally not racist, but I won't buy Chinese products and only buy superior western products.

Oct 27, 2017
Our weekly reminder that Huawei is shit as well as our weekly reminder from Huawei fans that "Yeah, well, uhhhh, I mean, other companies do it too!!!"

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
That's some hack reporting by Bloomberg.

Who the fuck still uses telnet though?

We are disabling old versions of SSL and TLS with (now) weak encryption.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The "backdoor" is... Telnet?

giphy.gif

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
"Backdoor" implies intention. The article does nothing to prove such intentions. Just that the security was flawed and the software broken. Which has since been patched, from what I read.

Every network hardware company has had to deal with flawed programming and security holes. To hold them to a different standard because they're not from China is a dishonest thing to do.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
"Backdoor" implies intention. The article does nothing to prove such intentions. Just that the security was flawed and the software broken. Which has since been patched, from what I read.

Every network hardware company has had to deal with flawed programming and security holes. To hold them to a different standard because they're not from China is a dishonest thing to do.

But Carolina Reaper says it's not racism as long as this double standards is applied to Chinese products.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't have time to investigate (edit: that is to say go through the old threads and call people out) but I hope all the Huawei Stan's in previous threads step right up for their serving of crow. As if it wasn't already obvious that Huawei was an arm of the Chinese government, now we have this story.

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Can you be racist against a government? There are other states and territories that are predominantly ethnic Chinese that the intelligence community doesn't have an issue with, like Taiwan for example.

By spreading false info? It's like you and other people saying this are specifically trying to avoid the article?

I don't have time to investigate

Like this?

I don't trust the Chinese government anymore than you do, but I actually read this article.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Inflammatory generalizations and conspiratorial rhetoric; numerous accumulated infractions
I don't have time to investigate but I hope all the Huawei Stan's in previous threads step right up for their serving of crow. As if it wasn't already obvious that Huawei was an arm of the Chinese government, now we have this story.
Every single Chinese company run out of the PRC is an arm of the Chinese government. It wouldn't surprise me if many new expat ran companies are too.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Of course it's in the laptops. It's in the servers , the routers , the phones - EVERYTHING they make.
They are a fully functioning intelligence branch of the Chinese government.
I get pretty upset over this stuff. The USA criminal charges are not enough. For me this is grounds for war.

Are you in the army? Are you going to risk and maybe even sacrifice your life for that cause? Sending others to die is just to easy.
Are the lifes of others so disposable? Vote with your wallet, that's how we can win wars without risking millions of life's.

Cisco would rightly be ostracized if their were vulnerabilities disclosed and they didnt bother fixing them for years.

And the article specifically details a backdoor, not just things Huawei's shitty testing didnt catch.

As a network engineer mostly dealing with Cisco... I wish what you saying was Truth. Check online and read reports about it, it happens all the time.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Like this?

I don't trust the Chinese government anymore than you do, but I actually read this article.

For clarity and with an edit, I did read the article and was referring to the time honoured forum tradition of going back to old threads to see who posted what. This however is not the first time a Chinese tech company has been found to be funnelling information to home base, so why anyone would be surprised is beyond me

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By spreading false info? It's like you and other people saying this are specifically trying to avoid the article?

Like this?

I haven't made a comment on this specific article. I was answering in general terms. But spreading false info is bad in a "boy cries wolf" kind of way, because once hard evidence comes out it will be dismissed by the PRC apologists.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just look at this stupid post below.
Is it more or less stupid than the post about suggesting a naval blockade around China.

Of course it is. It's a convenient technique the PRC uses to dismiss criticism directed at it just like Israel does.
Or maybe it's the observation of a US-born Chinese guy that's had to deal with this type of rhetoric his entire life going back to when people were saying the same things about Japan. But I wouldn't expect someone that openly says that they want to "contain the CCP" to understand.

Can you be racist against a government? There are other states and territories that are predominantly ethnic Chinese that the intelligence community doesn't have an issue with, like Taiwan for example.
You mean places with more western influence.

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
really? telnet? this is some fox news level of reporting right here.

THE HACKS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE PUTER

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Obviously they fucking don't.

This is the most obvious news ever. All Chinese tech companies need to be banned be NATO and Major Non-NATO Ally nations.

Most NATO nation's don't care, Latin America does not care, Africa does not care, south East Asia does not care.
You are selling the US influence like the only option, but governments know China wants money and power, but don't go around overthrowing governments or santioning governments it does not like.
Politicians mostly don't care. People wants cheap phones and politicians money, the US lost that game a while ago.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As stupid. Congrats, you made a post as stupid as someone suggesting a naval blockade.
Thanks! Although it seems like it's more important to you to chastise me as opposed to the other poster. I wonder why? :thinking:

Now is it as stupid or more stupid than peddling conspiracy theories like the one below:

Every single Chinese company run out of the PRC is an arm of the Chinese government. It wouldn't surprise me if many new expat ran companies are too.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Okay so, there's a lot to unpack here. Not backdoor. Buuut if you say you fixed vulnerabilities that you have been notified of and you haven't that is highly suspect.

Also, all the people going 'lol telnet' loads of network equipment can be configured using telnet sessions, which could allow me to do all sorts of insidious things like opening up other kinds of access.

So it's exaggerated, but still not good.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.uscc.gov/Research/china...ork-background-and-implications-united-states

Summary:
China uses "United Front" work to co-opt and neutralize sources of potential opposition to the policies and authority of its ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP). The CCP's United Front Work Department (UFWD)—the agency responsible for coordinating these kinds of influence operations—mostly focuses on the management of potential opposition groups inside China, but it also has an important foreign influence mission. To carry out its influence activities abroad, the UFWD directs "overseas Chinese work," which seeks to co-opt ethnic Chinese individuals and communities living outside China, while a number of other key affiliated organizations guided by China's broader United Front strategy conduct influence operations targeting foreign actors and states. Some of these entities have clear connections to the CCP's United Front strategy, while others' linkage is less explicit. Today, United Front-related organizations are playing an increasingly important role in China's broader foreign policy under Chinese President and General Secretary of the CCP Xi Jinping. It is precisely the nature of United Front work to seek influence through connections that are difficult to publically prove and to gain influence that is interwoven with sensitive issues such as ethnic, political, and national identity, making those who seek to identify the negative effects of such influence vulnerable to accusations of prejudice. Because of the complexities of this issue, it is crucial for the U.S. government to better understand Beijing's United Front strategy, its goals, and the actors responsible for achieving them if it is to formulate an effective and comprehensive response.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Although it seems like it's more important to you to chastise me as opposed to the other poster. I wonder why? :thinking:

Now is it as stupid or more stupid than peddling conspiracy theories like the one below:
The other person didn't outright ask how stupid his/her post was. You did. Suggesting we block import/exports with navies is dumb. Suggesting criticism of Huawei/China is due to racism is equally as dumb.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe it's the observation of a US-born Chinese guy that's had to deal with this type of rhetoric his entire life going back to when people were saying the same things about Japan. But I wouldn't expect someone that openly says that they want to "contain the CCP" to understand.

You mean places with more western influence.
The PRC interns ethnic minorities, kidnaps people in foreign lands, jails dissidents and lets them die in captivity, crushes the smallest amounts of dissent, stifles all manner of human rights, engages in hostage diplomacy, and is bleeding Africa dry at the moment. Who were the people "saying the same things about Japan"?

Taiwan, so influenced by the West they aren't even allowed recognition or a seat at the UN.

I am sorry you experienced racism as a Chinese-American but I'm not sure what that has to do with the CCP. The PRC isn't the sole government for all Chinese worldwide despite how much they try to push that narrative.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
HJUgNgx.png

Ok so they found the telnet service and Huawei refused to disable it?

As the owner you can't disable it yourself?

minsk

Jan 28, 2019
For some genuinely informative reporting on Huawei and the cyber security debate surrounding them, I would direct people to this Foreign Policy article. There is far too much noise and far too little signal on these threads. While not directly related to this particular article, I think it's good additional context.

Bloomberg does not seem to be alleging that it has any evidence that the security vulnerabilities discussed in the article were intentional, and given that literally all hardware and software has security vulnerabilities, it's a leap to suggest that just because vulnerabilities existed, it must be intentional. Part of the problem here is that (as the FP article explains), US intelligence agencies have not made public, or even apparently shared privately with their European counterparts, evidence of Huawei being used as a vehicle for government spying. This suggests that either they lack evidence, or that for whatever reason they do not feel as though they can trust European cyber security with the information about sources and methods that such evidence might reveal, and that, also for some untransparent reason, US cyber security values the secrecy of that information above the Trump administration's efforts to get countries to ban Huawei from building 5G infrastructure. As the US appears to be failing to persuade its allies to ban Huawei, the disclosure of such evidence would be extremely consequential, so it's certainly odd that it hasn't happened. As FP writes

Yet the Trump administration has done a poor job, by most accounts, of convincing European allies of the security risk posed by the company—a problem exacerbated by the president's constant sniping at his counterparts across the Atlantic. Washington has never publicly presented evidence backing up its assertions that Huawei equipment plays a role in Chinese espionage operations, and there are doubts that it has shared much evidence in private either.
According to Schrader of the German Marshall Fund, if U.S. intelligence officials truly had clear evidence that Huawei was helping China to spy, they would be more "forward leaning" in sharing that information with allies.

Given that it's highly doubtful that the information reported in Bloomberg was unknown to the US government, this suggests that these vulnerabilities were not assessed to constitute evidence of malfeasance (and Bloomberg does not seem to be claiming that it does constitute such evidence, reading the article carefully—that is only the impression one receives from the somewhat sensationalist word choice and framing). Of course, the fact that no malfeasance exists now does not mean that this will continue to be the case in the future, especially as China has a law which compels Chinese companies to cooperate with the Chinese government on issues of national security. Nonetheless, there is a difference between existing espionage and merely potential espionage, and I think it would be better if people stopped jumping to conclusions, especially as Bloomberg in particular has been guilty of extremely shoddy reporting on cybersecurity issues related to China before, as other posters have pointed out. Moreover, it does seem like technical experts are taking issue with Bloomberg's reporting in this article as well, though I can't really speak to the contents of those criticisms.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I'm so. Fucking. Shocked. That a company who has interest from the Chinese government and military has backdoors that let it spy on people.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017