• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Vodafone Group Plc has acknowledged to Bloomberg that it found vulnerabilities going back years with equipment supplied by Shenzhen-based Huawei for the carrier's Italian business. While Vodafone says the issues were resolved, the revelation may further damage the reputation of a major symbol of China's global technology prowess.

Europe's biggest phone company identified hidden backdoors in the software that could have given Huawei unauthorized access to the carrier's fixed-line network in Italy, a system that provides internet service to millions of homes and businesses, according to Vodafone's security briefing documents from 2009 and 2011 seen by Bloomberg, as well as people involved in the situation.

Vodafone asked Huawei to remove backdoors in home internet routers in 2011 and received assurances from the supplier that the issues were fixed, but further testing revealed that the security vulnerabilities remained, the documents show. Vodafone also identified backdoors in parts of its fixed-access network known as optical service nodes, which are responsible for transporting internet traffic over optical fibers, and other parts called broadband network gateways, which handle subscriber authentication and access to the internet, the people said. The people asked not to be identified because the matter was confidential.

A backdoor, in cybersecurity terms, is a method of bypassing security controls to access a computer system or encrypted data. While backdoors can be common in some network equipment and software because developers create them to manage the gear, they can be exploited by attackers. In Vodafone's case, the risks included possible third-party access to a customer's personal computer and home network, according to the internal documents.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ne-found-hidden-backdoors-in-huawei-equipment

NecroTechno

Oct 25, 2017
geohell
There has been some tension between the FVEY nations on the Huawei issue. The US is flat out trying to prevent Huawei involvement in the 5G upgrade, but the UK isn't willing to give up the cheap hardware. I'm interested to see how it will play out.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
They'll be all but banned in the west in a few years with incidents like this and the US's 5G ultimatum which is a bit of a shame as they make fantastic phones.

Oct 25, 2017

Bloomberg claimed that Amazon and Apple had backdoors in their servers. Independent security researchers, the very person they quoted in the article and the companies all came out denying the story. Never once did Bloomberg issue a correction.

And this piece is written like Huawei is the villain but Vodafone made mistakes here too. If you identify a problem back in 2011 how do you not do deep analysis year after year?

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
When will Bloomberg report about Cisco/Juniper backdoors? At least for the former you could write an article each week.
Also Bloomberg's Supermicro/Apple story makes me distrust them a lot.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
Thank goodness it's not laptops. I bought their matebook x pro recently. I'd hate for someone to have an easy back door into my novels and university info

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
While I already don't think Huawei equipment should be used in any nationwide rollout, this story is a little bit sensationalist. What they're describing as a "hidden backdoor" would just be called a typical vulnerability elsewhere, something we identify and patch in pretty much all software ever made.

dextran

Banned
Feb 20, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Xenophobic Extremism
Thank goodness it's not laptops. I bought their matebook x pro recently. I'd hate for someone to have an easy back door into my novels and university info

Of course it's in the laptops. It's in the servers , the routers , the phones - EVERYTHING they make.
They are a fully functioning intelligence branch of the Chinese government.
I get pretty upset over this stuff. The USA criminal charges are not enough. For me this is grounds for war.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
lol
those "backdoors" get found in cisco hardware on a weekly basis but when it's huawei the jingoism kicks in

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course it's in the laptops. It's in the servers , the routers , the phones - EVERYTHING they make.
I get pretty upset over this stuff. The USA criminal charges are not enough. For me this is grounds for war.

Yeah no let's not...overreact.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
You'd send countless men and women to their deaths, whether combatants or civilians, because of some fucking phones?

That sure sounds reasonable...

dextran

Banned
Feb 20, 2018
Yeah no let's not...overreact.

It's a strong reaction , but as an individual I have a right to it. I'm not a government official .
But a strong reaction is warranted. Computers shepherd our thoughts, identity, our finances.
Complacency of a totalitarian regime will be your demise.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a strong reaction , but as an individual I have a right to it. I'm not a government official .
But a strong reaction is warranted. Computers shepherd our thoughts, identity, our finances.
Complacency of a totalitarian regime will be your demise.

No it's not reasonable. Look at what war is. Get a grip.

dextran

Banned
Feb 20, 2018
You'd send countless men and women to their deaths, whether combatants or civilians, because of some fucking phones?

That sure sounds reasonable...

Phones are so disposable it's easy to fall into this blase attitude. My friends say similar things when I cautioned against Huawei phones. "They can have my Snapchat and 499 bank accounts if they want them"
I just see the bigger impact of a systemic collection of all the world's data for that right moment when it's put to nefarious use.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Can the EU ban them and all their professional and consumer products already please?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Phones are so disposable it's easy to fall into this blase attitude. My friends say similar things when I cautioned against Huawei phones. "They can have my Snapchat and 499 bank accounts if they want them"
I just see the bigger impact of a systemic collection of all the world's data for that right moment when it's put to nefarious use.
You have absolutely no fucking grasp of the meaning or impact of war.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol
those "backdoors" get found in cisco hardware on a weekly basis but when it's huawei the jingoism kicks in
Cisco would rightly be ostracized if their were vulnerabilities disclosed and they didnt bother fixing them for years.

And the article specifically details a backdoor, not just things Huawei's shitty testing didnt catch.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
lol

Just assume everyone is trying to spy on everyone all the time and we're good

We need better European domestic suppliers.
What is the appropriate response for a coordinated global espionage campaign?
How about a naval blockade?
Sure! Then Europe should be blockading American shipping since y'all are spying on your allies all the time too.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Lol, as a non-american I find thoughts like this hilarious.

Maybe the rest of the world should try boycott apple and google...
cause you could make the claim they're a fully functioning intelligence branch of the US government.

Vodafone responds

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Bloomberg is trash:

Vodafone statement:

"The 'backdoor' that Bloomberg refers to is Telnet, which is a protocol that is commonly used by many vendors in the industry for performing diagnostic functions. It would not have been accessible from the internet.
"Bloomberg is incorrect in saying that this 'could have given Huawei unauthorised access to the carrier's fixed-line network in Italy'.

"In addition, we have no evidence of any unauthorised access. This was nothing more than a failure to remove a diagnostic function after development.

"The issues were identified by independent security testing, initiated by Vodafone as part of our routine security measures, and fixed at the time by Huawei."

Lmao. Let's start a war with China because of Telnet.

Last edited:

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much every major laptop manufacturer has had a major flaw in their built in software. Some had backdoors, others had keyloggers.

When a reputable security researcher can show that Huawei is worse than any other manufacturer, I'll believe it.

Edit: Telnet was the hidden backdoor. Ffs Bloomberg. That's strike two.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Man what the fuck is up with Bloomberg's reporting lately? Heads should've rolled after that B I G H A C K fiasco

Literally fake news

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
win this war with your wallets

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, as a non-american I find thoughts like this hilarious.

Maybe the rest of the world should try boycott apple and google...
cause you could make the claim they're a fully functioning intelligence branch of the US government.

That's complete and utter bullshit on the Apple part because they're one of the few companies who takes private information seriously.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg is trash:

Vodafone statement:

Lmao. Let's start a war with China because of Telnet.

I swear, every security related thread is an ass showing parade.
Every vendor opens telnet by default and it's up to the carrier to either close it (and SSH or whatever) or make sure their equipments can only be accessed from very secure points (typically but not only through ACLs).

I don't know why we even give Bloomberg's reporting on these issues the benefit of the doubt.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The people who did drive bys are never going to open this topic again and wait for the next Huawei thread to give their uninformed opinion.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't trust Huawei 100%.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
While I already don't think Huawei equipment should be used in any nationwide rollout, this story is a little bit sensationalist. What they're describing as a "hidden backdoor" would just be called a typical vulnerability elsewhere, something we identify and patch in pretty much all software ever made.

Edit..

Telnet..

Nov 30, 2018
Yeah but did you know they have night mode on their phones?

Totally worth it, let them all the data as long as I get back to the evil US companies and buy my cheaper phones with muh better specz

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't need to read it all. Fuck Huawei. Doesn't matter what the new news or updates are. This is one thing compared to thousands of others about Huawei.
It's just that the article is sensationalist crap and your post falls a bit flat, considering the explanation.

But don't let that get in the way of your righteous anger, I guess.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll be all but banned in the west in a few years with incidents like this and the US's 5G ultimatum which is a bit of a shame as they make fantastic phones.
Obviously they fucking don't.

This is the most obvious news ever. All Chinese tech companies need to be banned be NATO and Major Non-NATO Ally nations.