• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It's one of my favorite video games. I really, really hope they announce Advanced Edition DLC for it at some point.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am a massive FTL fan who bought this game but ended up skipping it because everything about it screamed puzzle game in disguise, rather than a more free form experience.

Do I have it? Am I missing out? Or is it as I figured?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
One thing that really stands out about this developer is how much thought they put into breaking down a lot of information and options into a very palatable player experience. For both of their games, their achievement/unlock systems are really good at incentivizing the player toward experimenting with as many units and tactics as possible, and the way that information is conveyed to the player is simultaneously extremely detailed yet not really confusing.

I don't think I've played ITB since the last update, and I probably should, since I heard that it addressed one of my biggest gripes with the game (extra weapons costing too much rep at stores to justify in the majority of cases).

Oct 30, 2017
qoW2Zdm.jpg

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I am a massive FTL fan who bought this game but ended up skipping it because everything about it screamed puzzle game in disguise, rather than a more free form experience.

Accurate enough. It's very good and a really simple yet solid game, but it is puzzley

Feb 16, 2018

FTL is a strategy game
ITB is a tactics game

both are good at what they do, but they're different types of games. liking one doesn't mean you'll like or dislike the other

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Accurate enough. It's very good and a really simple yet solid game, but it is puzzley
FTL is a strategy game
ITB is a tactics game

both are good at what they do, but they're different types of games. liking one doesn't mean you'll like or dislike the other
Fair enough, thank you for your responses. I guess I'll give it a try and go in understanding that it's not meant to scratch the same itch. I've heard a lot of good.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
The problem I had with the game was after I beat it I didn't feel compelled to try the other teams (I beat it on my first play through and had no wipes).

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The problem I had with the game was after I beat it I didn't feel compelled to try the other teams (I beat it on my first play through and had no wipes).

You should. You'd see the game has plenty more to offer you. One of the coolest aspects of this game is how the squads played different from each other, and how their mechs build a different kind of synergy.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never liked it. Super disappointing that the follow up to FTL was just a puzzle game. I beat a few runs but never found anything about it particularly compelling and quit after that.

It's a puzzle game.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've played ITB since the last update, and I probably should, since I heard that it addressed one of my biggest gripes with the game (extra weapons costing too much rep at stores to justify in the majority of cases).
Wait, ITB got a balance patch? Oh boy, here goes my free time this week.

ITB it's a masterpiece. One of my favourite tactic/puzzle games.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I have been playing on touchscreen PC recently, and it works so well. I hope the PC getting touchscreen support means an ipad or mobile phone is forthcoming.

Has anyone tried the switch version? Any issues there?
The switch version is fantastic, and I've spent 120+ hours on it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I think it's dismissive and false to describe Into the Breach as a puzzle game. Having information about the upcoming behaviour of enemies is common enough in plenty of games, even if less explicit, and estimating subsequent moves of enemies is wholly tactical.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
It is amazingly well-crafted. I had to stop playing because it was messing with my productivity. Only Alpha Centauri/Civ 4/5 have done that to me.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Hmmmm... I have this game sitting on my Switch unplayed. I heard great things about it but the graphics and small maps put me off. Looks like I'm going to have to give it a shot finally.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I love Into the Breach and played it for about 80 hours.

... then I tried FTL. Whew these guys nailed it on the first try. Much more interesting to do subsequent runs that Into the Breach.

Don't be like me and assume the follow up is better than their first game. Play FTL too!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I love the periodically recurring "this game is freaking amazing" threads about my favorite indie games like Spelunky, FTL or ITB. :) Truly evergreen games that will still be played long after the AAA experiences of their time have been all but forgotten.

Has anyone tried the switch version? Any issues there?

I actually prefer it to the PC version. The controller controls, weirdly enough, are even more pleasant to use than keyboard + mouse.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a really good puzzle game with the trappings of a tactics game disguising it. My problem with it is once you've mastered the tricks, it becomes a bit too rote.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

You are 200% missing on Into the Breach, but answering the other questions would require you to elaborate what you mean by "puzzle game in disguise" and "free form experience".

I love Into the Breach and played it for about 80 hours.

... then I tried FTL. Whew these guys nailed it on the first try. Much more interesting to do subsequent runs that Into the Breach.

Don't be like me and assume the follow up is better than their first game. Play FTL too!

I would not dare say either is better than the other. They're both so different and so good that it's like asking what's better, apple pie or lasagna.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Oh my god the madmen did it. There is in fact a huge sword in thsi game:

giphy.gif

I'm afraid the gif quality leaves a lot to be desired, but you get the idea.

This game is amazing.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
It has retroactively made most other strategy games feel tedious by comparison.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
It's like the perfect blend of X-COM, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars and rogue-like elements. Played the shit out of it and finished all of it in almost one sitting

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
It is an incredibly well designed game, but there sadly just enough variety to keep one entertained for as long as something like FTL did. The individual runs never feel quite different enough from one another to really get you to keep coming back to it.

savageturnip

Oct 28, 2017
I had to stop playing this game on the train on the Switch, I once started a round on a 10 minute train journey from Birmingham to Solihull, missed by stop and had to travel to London and back adding 4 hours to my journey.

Brilliant game

Edit: With all the talk of FTL in this thread i've just realised I have it in my Steam Library in my never played list... Oh god.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It is an incredibly well designed game, but there sadly just enough variety to keep one entertained for as long as something like FTL did. The individual runs never feel quite different enough from one another to really get you to keep coming back to it.
I hope they eventually bring FTL to Switch. I don't really get the lack of variety complaints, there's enough to switch up the game in the different mechs, for me at least.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Absolutely fantastic game, it's exactly what I want from strategy games, apparently.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Truth.

I finished it 100% (just have maybe a rare character or whatever to unlock, maybe, but it's too random) and I wish we could get a sequel or a game as good as it is.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
A good game but i felt like it was missing something when i played it, a bit too simple to be played over and over like FTL.
I have hundreds of hours on FTL and ITB couldn't keep me interested for probably 1/10th of that.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I guess different people want different things from roguelites. I don't particularly care about runs being very different if the moment-to-moment gameplay is varied and engaging enough. Thus Spelunky is one of my favorite roguelites even through there's not a huge amount of variance between runs.

I guess this also accounts for why some people like Binding of Isaac much more than Into the Breach, while I'm the opposite.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
This game was so weird for me. I completely loved it for like 30 hours around its release, played as often as I could, unlocked new teams etc, it almost became an obsession. Then I just stopped. I still think it's an awesome game, but I've never felt an urge to go back.

Apr 25, 2018
I liked this game a lot more than I expected to. I especially loved how minimalist it is compared to other strategy games I've played. 3 units and 5 or 6 turns on a very small map.

Compared to Fire Emblem or Advance Wars (which I also love) there is a lot less time spent building units, moving units, watching enemies take their turn etc. - it's pure condensed strategy.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Bought this game based on Era. Then didn't play it for months until I felt guilty for buying a million games and playing Mario Maker instead.

Era was right. This game is fucking amazing.q

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
I loved it while it lasted, but yeah- it needed more content to have anywhere as much longevity as FTL. I found the design to be so tight that while runs were never easy, I also almost never lost. Once you're through with each squad (took me ~35 hrs), you're pretty done.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
One update as I crossed the 50h mark.

I think my initial impresions, and one shared by many here, that this isn't as playable as FTL was confirmed. I still think I'll be playing this for a while, but it will not even be close to the 400h+ I have in FTL (which are still growing).

That said, the fun factor and the game design is just as good. All squads play very different and each one makes you feel like the greatest general ever for different reasons. Freezing enemies, throwing them around and setting them to kill each other, smoking them electrifying them, setting them on fire, drawining them on acid or just punching them in the face. Each one feel different and for anyone who played the game but didn't experience them all, I'd say give the game another chance. It's worth it.

I love this game. To finish, just one cool round I had, which also show why this game is so fun and brilliant. Sometimes you get lucky: