• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
They working on the performance, they've said before that performance improvements are coming and that they wouldn't be in the first patch. Would be nice if this thread could actually be about what this patch does rather than be another bitch fest about the game's performance. But OP clearly didn't make this thread to discuss the actual patch

Single player games are balanced and tweaked literally all the time. Do people live in 1995 or something? For one when I run weapons I like to use that are literally OP as hell and provide no challenge that sucks. Imbalances that are huge are not the point of a game. Play easy mode and you still run right through everything.

Why would a developer NOT balance their game?

Are we sure Igarashi is even producing the game anymore? Nerfing is kind of against the spirit of Igavanias.

I totally disagree with this. The games were never tested that well and could not be patched. That's why you didn't get balance. I absolutely HATE using OP weapons that I want to use and be challenged with in this game.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This looks pretty bad though.

From my entire playthrough of Bloodstained with > 99% of the map unlocked, None of the other screen transistions take that long. That is the only transition in the game on Switch that takes that long to load. Now the load times in general aren't the greatest on Switch but that is the most extreme example that has been cherry picked without context

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
From my entire playthrough of Bloodstained with > 99% of the map unlocked, None of the other screen transistions take that long. That is the only transition in the game on Switch that takes that long to load. Now the load times in general aren't the greatest on Switch but that is the most extreme example that has been cherry picked without context

Yep, this. Was just about to say the same thing.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
That screen transition hang was happening to me too, real bad, and then if you don't immediately go left or right out of the jump, you go back down into another transition pause. That's when I deleted it and asked Ninty for a refund, first one ever.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I totally disagree with this. The games were never tested that well and could not be patched. That's why you didn't get balance. I absolutely HATE using OP weapons that I want to use and be challenged with in this game.
Sounds like they didn't make the bosses into big enough HP sponges and/or deal enough damage. That's where the challenge comes from in Metroidvanias.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Man on reddit too there is a vocal minority of people that just want this game to be broken as hell. Balance hard mode then. Give us people who want a challenge something ffs. I hate running into my favorite weapons that are literally OP walk it off crazy. Nothing wrong with good balance moves. Ain't no reason in hell for hard mode to just be cheesed like it is now.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm going to download a patch that nerfs everything I use. Sure.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Their main goal is probably to get a bug ass patch out by fall when the sales season begin and this game will be part of eShop sales as well.

Anything else would be very surprising.
Wait, they nerfed the Crissaegrim-inspired weapon, the purpose of which is to be deliberately overpowered?
Getting nerfed doesn't mean that they won't be OP anymore. They probably just were just a bit too good.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
I know they wanted to release a patch this week; but a patch that's all weapon/shard/familiar nerfs and enemy buffs with no input latency improvements is awful.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Where the hell do all the people come from that think single player games don't receive balance patches? Do you people know what year it is? It's like we talkin' ta 1995 people up in this room. Yeah, the game needed these nerfs. The game on hard mode was a joke. It shouldn't be. I paid because I want the challenge, and I want to be able to use some of these weapons that are ridiculously OP. I don't pay to walk through metroidvanias.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dullahammer Head has been nerfed

Hello darkness my old friend.

Glad I'm still playing on version 1.0, fuck this.

Where the hell do all the people come from that think single player games don't receive balance patches? Do you people know what year it is? It's like we talkin' ta 1995 people up in this room. Yeah, the game needed these nerfs. The game on hard mode was a joke. It shouldn't be. I paid because I want the challenge, and I want to be able to use some of these weapons that are ridiculously OP. I don't pay to walk through metroidvanias.

You'd be surprised to learn that the more enthusiastic crowd for Bloodstained are people that lived through the nineties? :P

Being OP and exploiting....exploits is a staple of IGAvanias.

Last edited:

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They said that they're still working on those improvements, not that they're not coming. And they said before that those improvements likely wouldn't come in the first round of patching, anyway.
I tried to tell people that they were conflating bug fix patches and perf fixes and that there was no promised date for the perf stuff, but they wouldn't listen. Reading comprehension is apparently hard.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
You can be disappointed, but from my perspective, you're also overreacting. Plenty of people that have played the Switch version have done so with minimal issues regarding input lag and crashing. I myself never experienced any crashing at all in the 25+ hours it took me to beat the game for the first time. I also did not find the lag that noticeable while playing docked on my particular television.
Tbh for starting that rumble glitch is very , very annoying and that one happens frequently, then the input lag should be fixed before playing for a good gameplay experience.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
oh, I was hoping the input delay would at least be getting fixed this patch. Damn.

I haven't touched it in a few weeks not because I think it's unplayable, but because I'm playing so much other shit, so I can guess I can wait!

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I abused the shit out of the grinder to negate the input lag a bit in boss battles. Nerfing it sucks.

This looks pretty bad though.

It's a cherry picked example of the worst loading transistion in the game that people are throwing around as if it's always like this. Most transitions are almost instantaneous to a few seconds when changing areas. It's not great or even all that good, but pointing fingers at this one video over and over is somewhat silly. It doesn't reflect 99% of the game.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Glad I played through the game before they decided to nerf the Rhava weapons. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up just as useless as the Valmanway was in Aria of Sorrow.

Edit: Oh FFS, they're nerfing Flying dagger too?

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Last night I got the Rhava Velar and just now I finished the game with like 98.90% of the map complete, but with some side-bosses to fight. Thank goodness I did that before the nerf lol.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Hello darkness my old friend.

Glad I'm still playing on version 1.0, fuck this.

You'd be surprised to learn that the more enthusiastic crowd for Bloodstained are people that lived through the nineties? :P
Yeah, so did I. Doesn't mean I start BS'ing with all this single player nonsense. SP games get balance patches all the time.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Most of the nerfs make sense to me, but I feel like Rhava Bural/Velar got way more attention than it actually deserved.

I tested all the endgame weapons against Revenant with maxed out Weapon Expertise + Optimizer + Shadow Tracer, and Rhava took much longer to kill it than anything else. I didn't even finish killing the thing, I stopped and switched weapons because it was taking so long. I can't imagine how bad it must be now, and it's always been Valmanway-level IMO.

Not that Crissaegrim-level would be much better. It's always been a cool effect that's outclassed by something else far easier to get, but Crissaegrim was at least only outclassed by Shield Rod + Alucard Shield.

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
So... performance is the #1 issue but we will give you balances instead. Man I do love this game but come on!

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Haha, been sailing through the game with the Rhava Bural so I'm not surprised at all that it's getting nerfed. Shame, because it's been fun to abuse, but it certainly does make the game close to a cakewalk, including the bosses. The nerf totally makes sense.

Really, I can't believe such an obviously OP weapon a) made it through QA and b) is such a common drop. I got like seven of them in the span of a couple of hours. Crazy.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So... performance is the #1 issue but we will give you balances instead. Man I do love this game but come on!

...y'know the improvement/balance stuff is gonna be coming to other platforms too, right? And that performance is a lot harder to get right than changing numbers for the balance changes? Same goes for implementing the new map features.

They can't just work on Switch performance, and the other changes are surely going to be ready to go much faster than that. Doesn't mean anything about their priorities.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the nerfs make sense to me, but I feel like Rhava Bural/Velar got way more attention than it actually deserved.

I tested all the endgame weapons against Revenant with maxed out Weapon Expertise + Optimizer + Shadow Tracer, and Rhava took much longer to kill it than anything else. I didn't even finish killing the thing, I stopped and switched weapons because it was taking so long. I can't imagine how bad it must be now, and it's always been Valmanway-level IMO.

Not that Crissaegrim-level would be much better. It's always been a cool effect that's outclassed by something else far easier to get, but Crissaegrim was at least only outclassed by Shield Rod + Alucard Shield.
Are you sure you were using the Velar and the correct Weapon Expertise? I used the Velar to mow down the 8-bit Overlord almost before he could get an attack off while farming for his shard.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
No performance updates means I'll just keep waiting. The four main issues with the Switch port (input lag, loading times, crashing, and inconsistent frame rates) need to be addressed before I decide to buy it.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like he has been in a position to make changes post launch for a major IGAvania before either though. Maybe he always wanted to but had to settle for deadlines.
Harmony of Dissonance: June 6, 2002
Aria of Sorrow: May 6, 2003
Dawn of Sorrow: August 25, 2005
Portrait of Ruin: December 5, 2006
Order of Ecclesia: October 21, 2008

He was churning these games out on a 1-2 year basis on different hardware and they all turned out to be mostly fine (except maybe HoD).

It wouldn't surprise me if Bloodstained's development suffered because of poor planning, poor coding, poor choice of engine, too much feedback looping or all of the above.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
SP games get balance patches all the time.
Yep, I don't understand why it's that hard to understand. I remember breaking really hard DA:O back in the day, I created a build that made the game in hard mode really easy, and yeah, I always can avoid using OP builds/items, but it's hard to resist using the best option if it's there, is just how people work: if there's an easy way you'll take it.

It's the developers work to make the games a pleasant experience, and having avaiable some really broken shit only makes the game feels trivial and kills the experience, so yeah, SP games have been re-balanced all the time because of this. A different thing is that the launch game was not that polished and now they need to do lots of big changes, but even so I prefer they correcting this to create a more balanced game.

Fizz

Jul 15, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I'm glad I held off on picking this up for the Switch. I picked it up a week previously on my PC with plans to double-dip but once news of how poor the Switch port was announced, I realized I had made the right decision. It's a shame that this game doesn't run well on the Switch, it's just begging for that awesome hand-held mode.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like I'll keep waiting for the inevitable improvement patch. At least I have Fire Emblem to keep me busy soon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe some of you don't understand that balancing single player games is a fucking thing.

Keep it coming, I'm on PC but I'm willing to wait more time to play this game in the best state it can be.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Why bother releasing a patch of it doesn't address a huge problem?

I'll continue to wait to open the box. The game should have never released in this state. All platforms should have been released in October.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Are you sure you were using the Velar and the correct Weapon Expertise? I used the Velar to mow down the 8-bit Overlord almost before he could get an attack off while farming for his shard.
Yep, I just went and checked again. The main problem is that Shadow Tracer hits with the Velar are only doing 1 damage (4 against 8-bit Overlord) because the individual hits of the normal attack are so weak. It doesn't matter for basic enemies, but boss-level stuff takes a lot longer for me to kill with it than the other top weapons.

Might be because of levels? I'm not really interested in how weapons stack up outside of normal endgame levels, so I just used Cheat Engine to test them instead of grinding all of them. If I need to be level 90 or whatever before Rhava Velar compares favorably to other weapons, it just means I'll never end up using it.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Harmony of Dissonance: June 6, 2002
Aria of Sorrow: May 6, 2003
Dawn of Sorrow: August 25, 2005
Portrait of Ruin: December 5, 2006
Order of Ecclesia: October 21, 2008

He was churning these games out on a 1-2 year basis on different hardware and they all turned out to be mostly fine (except maybe HoD).

It wouldn't surprise me if Bloodstained's development suffered because of poor planning, poor coding, poor choice of engine, too much feedback looping or all of the above.
These games were all pretty much broken balance wise in some way or another. All the soul games have way OP stuff way too soon IMO.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
Sad to see no improvements to performance have been made here, but I knew those would take a lot of time. Honestly, I wouldn't expect to see them until September, at the earliest. They really should've just delayed the game. It would've been less damaging to everyone involved.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Performance is mostly fine. It was always going to be 30fps and that's what it delivers. Now, some users have encountered strange dips that don't normally occur which seem like a bug but this patch isn't going to boost frame-rate above 30. Not realistic with this hardware and UE4.
Thanks for keeping it real in here. Some people's expectations seem out of step with what the system can actually handle.

FWIW, I've been playing on Switch and PS4 Pro (nearly done on both) and while the difference is undeniable, it has not been anything but a good time on both platforms. I also have to commend the team for being so transparent during this process. As a backer, they have gone above and beyond what I expected in terms of communicating their goals, setting expectations, and listening to feedback.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Little hard to ask for sympathy when they released the game like this though.
This is less about sympathies but being realistic - they are working on it, dont know what you expect from them at this point. They arent magicans and already acknowledged that they fucked up the initial Switch release.