• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
As a HUGE Igavania fan, it is my favorite of his games. Aria of Sorrow was my previous (disclosure: never played Portrait of Ruin or Harmony of Despair.... didn't care for the 6 player focus or whatever). In my top 5 of the whole genre with Hollow Knight and Super Metroid.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I like it about as much as any of the DS Castlevanias. I expected more honestly, given that this had way more development time and almost infinitely higher budget. But it's clear that a very troubled development canceled out all of those advantages. I just hope they have some proper momentum and team synergy for the sequel.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it. Not as good as peak Castlevania, but still very good. I am a sucker for this kind of games tho. I just can't get enough of them

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
Had a ton of fun with it. It's a little more grindy than I'd like, but it's not like you really need to do it. I hope the built in randomizer becomes standard. That was my favorite part after it was added.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Pretty bad. The progression just wasn't satisfying, nor was the exploration. It's ok as a 2D action game but bad as a metroidvania.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
it's great. It emphasizes fun over polish though which can be a turnoff for people with bad opinions.

Also, the two retro Curse of the Moon games it spawned are as good as any of the classic-style Castlevanias

iiviigames

May 25, 2021
I've tried to play it 4 different times since it came out.
Made it to Zangetsu and stopped each time.
I don't know why this is, people love this game, and I am a huge SOTN fan. It just never pulls me in.
But I'll go back to it, I know I will.

However, with Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (1 and 2 both), I've played to completion. I would take 3 more sequels in a heartbeat.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Fantastic game and I can't wait for them to get started on a sequel. After finishing up this one. Because backer rewards are a hell of thing.

Complaints about the game being ugly are overblown, since it's not that bad, but it was also clear that focus was placed elsewhere (as evidenced by a lot of their development updates that go into any specificity). Definitely on the list of areas to improve on in the future, of course.

As a backer, I'm happy with my investment.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
Excellent game. Really looking forward to the sequel.

I would have preferred proper 2D graphics, but I can understand why they went they way they did, and it worked pretty well. Gameplay wise, it was fantastic.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I got bored partway through, though it's at no fault of the game, I realized while playing I tend to favor Metroidvanias that lean more towards Metroid than Castlevania, and Bloodstained was very much just legally distinct Castlevania.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
In some ways it felt like too much of a retread of SOTN... so it was exactly what I was looking for.

Sure it's not the prettiest, but some of the environments look nice. Gameplay, powers, music, exploration, all the other important stuff was good.

Also I am an idiot and finished the game before I realised trying new food gives you a permanent buff. I just kept cooking whatever restored the most health.

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like the portraits of backers and whoever got their pet cat in the game, but otherwise it's a great spiritual successor to SOTN.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they totally knocked it out of the park. They hit Igavania style with Ritual and they also hit classic castlevania with Curse of the Moon. Both prime examples of the castlevania styles. Awesome games.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I liked it fine. Disliked the graphics a lot but didn't stop me from beating it.

I didnt kickstart or follow dev, so it helped me to not form a bias before playing it.

Would recommend.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I backed it initially... I don't think I've given it a fair shot, but I honestly didn't really like what I tried. I understand we all signed up for something of a SotN rip-off... but something about it felt way to shameless. Like, everything about it just felt like budget Castlevania (the music in particular).

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i played it on game pass.
game was ok, looked kind of janky, reminded me of PS2-era games, but not in a bad way.

would play a sequel

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm around Level 22 and just took down the twin dragons.

It is simultaneously the least surprising game I've ever played, and also shitloads of fun.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I backed this and never got around to playing it. I'm playing Samus Returns ahead of the release of Dread - I might try to squeeze this in before Dread comes out.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I backed this and never got around to playing it. I'm playing Samus Returns ahead of the release of Dread - I might try to squeeze this in before Dread comes out.

Heh, nice, I'm literally getting these out of the way so I can replay Zero Mission, Samus Returns (for the first time, played the original M2), Super Metroid, and Fusion before Dread releases.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I wanted desperately to love it and in some ways i did....but i still cannot get over the 'ending' being a game over screen and the real ending being hidden behind some slightly obtuse mechanics/exploration. yes I get that SotN had a false ending but at least it was an ending, not a game over screen. It made me feel like I did something wrong and was just jarring and confusing.

Other small issues nagged at me but that thing with the ending really stuck in my craw to the point where I put the game down for a long time and even when I came back to it my enthusiasm was dampened. A lot of content has been released for it since I played so i'll likely go back to it again eventually.

Overall if you're a fan of SoTN and been waiting for a real followup to that game I'd say don't hesitate. Bloodstained is the game you've been waiting for.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
I kickstarted this on Switch as well. The Switch port was B. A. D. at launch. 6 months later, it was noticeably better and playable. That when I finally played through it. The game is good and I am looking forward to the sequel, but man that first appearance was ROUGH.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Felt like a remake of SOTN and it was fantastic. Had me searching the internet at a few points on what to do next and then feeling stupid for realizing the obvious answer but that's expected for these games.

I liked the quest system quite a bit even if things got a bit grindy at points.

It's a solid 9/10 title honestly.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
i never understood the concept of comfort food until i played this because while we might be living in a renaissance of metroidvanias, real igavanias had been absent for a awhile. I mean it's a b or maybe b+ game, but it's total comfort food

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
I thought it was fantastic - I get why people think it looks ugly but I thought it looked fine on my 1440P screen. Soundtrack was stellar and just a very fun game overall, couldn't put it down until the end.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was very uninspired and outdated. It tried too hard to be SOTN 2.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Heh, nice, I'm literally getting these out of the way so I can replay Zero Mission, Samus Returns (for the first time, played the original M2), Super Metroid, and Fusion before Dread releases.

I'm doing the exact same thing, finished ZM last week (first time in 10+ years) hoping I have enough time to clear Super Metroid and Fusion!

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I much preferred Curse of the Moon 1&2.

2 is incredible and I played through it multiple times for the true ending.

Ritual just felt like a blueprint to a good game. It got broken easy really quick, and I wasn't a big fan of the visuals. I did love the customization for it though.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I found it "good", had fun overall but tbh especially the art style didn't capture me at all. Everything looked kinda cheap and messy. Like bunch of unity assets thrown together which absolutely destroyed any hint of atmosphere and mood.

The game could've used a decidedly more cohesive art direction and some more polish as well

Also, too much useless stuff to collect and craft. I know SotN and the like had a lot of that as well but I think it was a waste of development resources here and didn't make the game better.

Had way more fun with Curse of the Moon. (CotM2, not so much. The repeat playthrough thing put me off)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021
I was a backer so I was there as soon as my PS4 copy arrived and loved it. It was exactly what I wanted and what they promised. Nothing more, but also nothing less.

Also they've been doing free updates since then and they've been delivering. If you havent yet try the Classic Mode where they re arrange some assets to make 6 linear stages with new 8 bit music and plays remarkably similar to the OG Castlevania 1.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
As a big fan of Dawn of Sorrow, does this game have a lot of features from that game? Namely, the rpg elements, weapon variety, the ability to grind and perhaps summon beasts by capturing souls?

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I liked it way more than i thought i would. It definitely ranks up there as a game with one of the biggest discrepancies between how good it looks and how much fun it is. It's downright hideous at times.

I'll also say that it starts off feeling really clunky, nowhere near as smooth as SOTN. But with the right weapon, and a lot of time, it cleans up okay (or at least, you get used to it).

As a big fan of Dawn of Sorrow, does this game have a lot of features from that game? Namely, the rpg elements, weapon variety, the ability to grind and perhaps summon beasts by capturing souls?
I haven't played Dawn of Sorrow, but Bloodstained's got lots of RPG elements (craft food for permanent upgrades, tons of ability variations and equipment), a ton of weapons, and not only can you grind...but you can literally grind every ability from every single enemy to power them up. Everything has levels upon levels upon levels.

Not sure on the capturing souls, but certain abilities allow you to summon enemies that will fight for you.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I liked it way more than i thought i would. It definitely ranks up there as a game with one of the biggest discrepancies between how good it looks and how much fun it is. It's downright hideous at times.

I'll also say that it starts off feeling really clunky, nowhere near as smooth as SOTN. But with the right weapon, and a lot of time, it cleans up okay (or at least, you get used to it).

I haven't played Dawn of Sorrow, but Bloodstained's got lots of RPG elements (craft food for permanent upgrades, tons of ability variations and equipment), a ton of weapons, and not only can you grind...but you can literally grind every ability from every single enemy to power them up. Everything has levels upon levels upon levels.

Not sure on the capturing souls, but certain abilities allow you to summon enemies that will fight for you.

Oh that sounds right up my alley

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It's the most I've enjoyed a Metroidvania in yeeeeeears. The visuals were what they were (I played on pre patch Switch, even!), but the moment to moment gameplay was ace.

The fact that the game cribs my favorite Igavania gimmick (Aria of Sorrow's Soul System) wholesale is just the icing on the cake. Endgame Miriam is one of the most satisfying to control MV protagonists as well.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
It's a good game but, honestly, even if they were lower budget I prefer all the portable Castlevanias over it (and SOTN too, obviously). I can't help but miss all the Castlevania mythos as well, they didn't have amazing stories individually but the connections and mystique of it all was intriguing to me. I couldn't give less of a shit about Gebel and Miriam to be honest. And I don't like Miriam's design, what a downgrade compared to Shanoa

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Entirely lived up to the lofty expectations set by the Kickstarter. Also I kinda dig the janky art style and the rough edges. They add charm

I didn't care much for the story or villains though. Guys Dracula is public domain Konami can't do shit