• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews look good, it's my GotY right now
I like that the developers weren't afraid to let the player become OP with certain builds. They just give you a ton of tools and say "Have at it!" You feel like you are constantly getting stronger all the time. It is addicting.

Also, the "gotta catch em all" style of collecting demon shards and summoning or using their abilities is always a good game mechanic.
Definitely which true to it's Igavania roots, find different ways to break the game. Fortunately they found a way to mitigate the grind and make it fast and fun

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely pick this up at some point once some of the technical hiccups are ironed out. Game looks like a lot of fun.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I hope Bloddstained sells millions upon millions of copies and does extremely well, because I want this lovely and talented woman...........

.....to keep giving us inredible soundtracks for many years to come.
She honestly did her best work since Curse of Darkness, and that was 15 years ago.

I'm so happy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would give it a 7 out of 10. I'm glad it exists, but it's a janky, unbalanced mess that really needed another pass or two through the polish machine.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Nice scores, seem on par or even better than what the previous IGA games got. Hopefully the team will keep making sequels with this base in place (and some enemies to recycle, lolol).

Eagerly awaiting playing a portable IGAvania for the first time since the DS, its absence was really felt on the 3DS. Just hoping the handheld mode was a lesser priority than the docked mode, I'll be real sad if its sub-native res and stuttery.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned this in the OT, but I've been playing the Switch version (v1.01, exclusively in handheld), and I'm really enjoying it, and this is after having played most of it on PC (both 4K60 and 1440p144). The visuals scaled down to the smaller screen works in the game's favor, and the 30fps, while obviously not as fluid and responsive as other platforms, doesn't hinder me due to the inherent feel/pacing of the game. I like it on Switch a lot for that reason, but if you're playing on a TV and you do prioritize visual quality/fidelity, you'll want to consider one of the other platforms instead. There is also noticeably longer loading transitions between screens/areas, so if you like going in/out of areas to grind enemies for shards, drops, and XP, that is also something to keep in mind.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
I'm inches away from 100% and I have absolutely loved my time with this game. The content density is staggering, and its surprisingly polished.

Deleted member 36749

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta
Got it on one x launch day and beat it...

Amazing game, tons of bugs that damn near made it feel.even more.nostalgic(LOL) and cool characters who need better writing..

And even on the easiest difficulty it was to easy. The times i died usually occurred when i was distracted with my wife or dog. Plus its to easy to find items

It did make me play sotn for the 800th time lol

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
10/10 from me, amazing game. I'm mobile so I can expand more on my computer but I'm feeling insanely lucky. PS4 Pro and base PS4 played on for like 10 hours each, never a single crash or error beyond a lategame boss tanking the framerate for the oh... 20 or so seconds he was alive. You can get absurdly powerful in this game, I love it.

Drink from the fountain of vindication, Iga. Welcome back.

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I mentioned this in the OT, but I've been playing the Switch version (v1.01, exclusively in handheld), and I'm really enjoying it, and this is after having played most of it on PC (both 4K60 and 1440p144). The visuals scaled down to the smaller screen works in the game's favor, and the 30fps, while obviously not as fluid and responsive as other platforms, doesn't hinder me due to the inherent feel/pacing of the game. I like it on Switch a lot for that reason, but if you're playing on a TV and you do prioritize visual quality/fidelity, you'll want to consider one of the other platforms instead. There is also noticeably longer loading transitions between screens/areas, so if you like going in/out of areas to grind enemies for shards, drops, and XP, that is also something to keep in mind.
So it's a solid 30? That's my main concern.

Apr 24, 2018
Solid 8 in my book; Bloodstained is delivering exactly what I want and is scratching the Metroidvania itch in spades. It's like the perfect comfort food. The only real quibble I have is that I wish Miriam would move faster than she does. Only 3 bosses in so far, but I can already safely say I'm fully satisfied with my decision to back it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
So it's a solid 30? That's my main concern.
Yep, I'm only an hour or so into it, but I haven't noticed any major or consistent drops, even with quite a few enemies on screen, shard get animation playing, etc. Places that would see performance hits (like the galleon deck on XB1), don't appear to have the same issue on Switch, which is probably thanks to the framerate and reduced detail/effects.

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Yep, I'm only an hour or so into it, but I haven't noticed any major or consistent drops, even with quite a few enemies on screen, shard get animation playing, etc. Places that would see performance hits (like the galleon deck on XB1), don't appear to have the same issue on Switch, which is probably thanks to the framerate and reduced detail/effects.
Nice, might just have to get the Switch version after all. Thanks.

Aug 29, 2018
The game has so much hype I feel like itll land below 85. A lot of articles will be eager to nit pick a game we've waited 5 years for, and it's price point imo is a factor

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I would give it a 7 out of 10. I'm glad it exists, but it's a janky, unbalanced mess that really needed another pass or two through the polish machine.
I'm kind of hoping that happens as they continue down their DLC roll out. Both in the visual/production value department, and some of the jank around the platforming, hit boxes, etc. Or maybe some kind of definitive edition down the road.

I can't complain too much though, it's a really enjoyable game, and I also got Curse of the Moon as part of backing it, which was really good in of itself.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
The game has so much hype I feel like itll land below 85. A lot of articles will be eager to nit pick a game we've waited 5 years for, and it's price point imo is a factor

The price point in on par for IGA's previous DS games, and then there's the fact most of the DLC for the game is free updates for all users.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I need to play this. This is going to be one of my summer games for sure.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of hoping that happens as they continue down their DLC roll out. Both in the visual/production value department, and some of the jank around the platforming, hit boxes, etc. Or maybe some kind of definitive edition down the road.

I can't complain too much though, it's a really enjoyable game, and I also got Curse of the Moon as part of backing it, which was really good in of itself.

Yeah. Like, one thing that consistently bothers me is how SPECIFIC the hitboxes for weapons are. If you swing your sword at a candle and you're one pixel too far forward nothing happens. Alucard's hit animations were a lot more flexible in that you could hit enemies and candles as long as it made physical sense for your weapon to make contact in some way with the target.

By comparison I whiff a LOT in this game with moves that look like they SHOULD hit.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Haven't finished, but I'd give it an 8-9/10 depending on how much you love the Igavania formula. This takes a bunch of the best aspects of his previous works and combines them, held back only by some bugs, some unpolished performance and environments, and a little bit of wonky balance (bound to happen when you can get strong weapon drops based on luck). Oh, and there are some hmmm-inducing abilities/equipment for the protagonist, but nothing too bad so far.

My favorite part is how you can sequence break. I fought the bloody lady before I ever got to the train or super-fast demon, just by kicking off of some candles.

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part is how you can sequence break. I fought the bloody lady before I ever got to the train or super-fast demon, just by kicking off of some candles.

I did this and I was woefully underequipped but it was super cool to be able to do it and it was a ton of fun to run through.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is already a GOTY contender and it hasn't even gotten most of the free content like new characters or rogue mode. That's how great it is.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Well, haven't been paying too much attention to this over the years and thought it might turn out a bit underwhelming. But, seems like they delivered! Great stuff can't wait to grab it!

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah 8 is probably a good score. It looks nice, sounds lovely, and plays pretty well, but it hardly does anything to push the medium forward. Still, as someone who likes the whole exploring nooks and crannies thing, it's definitely been enjoyable so far.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Deserves higher IMO. They did SotN better than SotN.

Balance and content-wise, probably yeah. I still give music and visuals to SOTN, plus its seniority in introducing so many staples of the Igavania formula, a lot of which is quite explicitly referenced in Bloodstained. For better and worse, Bloodstained stands on the shoulders of giants while showing off a portrait of said giants.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
I didn't work directly on this project guys but I know everyone at 505 Games, ArtPlay and Way Forward put their hearts and souls into polishing this as much as possible. The game went through development hell, it changed so many times and there was so much back and forth on many things, I'm glad it looks and plays the way it does. Yeah ok, there are some small bugs here and there but the teams behind the game are giving it the love and treatment it deserves so pretty sure these will be addressed rather quick.

On another note since I didn't work on the game directly I'm not in the 505 credits but I'm in the backer credits list. LoL

Switch version drops tomorrow. Also can't wait to receive my $300 backer stuff.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't work directly on this project guys but I know everyone at 505 Games, ArtPlay and Way Forward put their hearts and souls into polishing this as much as possible. The game went through development hell, it changed so many times and there was so much back and forth on many things, I'm glad it looks and plays the way it does. Yeah ok, there are some small bugs here and there but the teams behind the game are giving it the love and treatment it deserves so pretty sure these will be addressed rather quick.

On another note since I didn't work on the game directly I'm not in the 505 credits but I'm in the backer credits list. LoL

Send loads of love and respect to everyone who worked on it, and same to anyone such as yourself who indirectly supported it.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe by the time my backer copy arrives (Australia) they will fix the technical shortcomings.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Beat the Speed Demon or whatever he's called earlier today.

It's exactly what I wanted it to be. Couple of bugs/tech hiccups here and there, nothing too shocking for a smaller developer and hopefully easily ironed out in the future. I'm a satisfied customer. Well done IGA and the team, cheers to all the backers that made it possible.

Oct 25, 2017

Now that the game is out and apparently succesful, it would be awesome to get to know a little about some of the development troubles and different iterations. It would make for a very fascinating post-launch Kickstarter update. The game feels like such a smooth continuation of Castlevania that it's easy to forget that it's probably not easy to achieve this.

Just saying, in case you want to bring it up to the people involved. :P

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
Now that the game is out and apparently succesful, it would be awesome to get to know a little about some of the development troubles and different iterations. It would make for a very fascinating post-launch Kickstarter update. The game feels like such a smooth continuation of Castlevania that it's easy to forget that it's probably not easy to achieve this.

Just saying, in case you want to bring it up to the people involved. :P

To be honest I've already pitched this idea with our creative team. Maybe later in the summer? It would a nice cool throwback to discuss it like it really went down. Just like Corey Barlog did with God of War, kept it real and honest.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I know it shouldn't affect how I feel about the review, but watching this gameplay footage of the player repeatedly attacking enemies outside of their range, or jumping into an enemies personal space and then just spamming attack while taking chip damage on collision made me cringe pretty hard. This is some of the worst game-playing since that infamous Doom review.