• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 18, 2017
I'm only 20% in, probably too early to say, but so far I would rank the Igavanias:

1. DoS
2. SOTN
3. Bloodstained
4. OoE
5. AoS
6. PoR

I loved the overall atmosphere of Dawn and it's bosses. But I could see Bloodstained being the best once I've hit 100% and all the DLC content is out there.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to miss the

Abyssal Guardian
?

Because I seem to be far, far past when I should have fought it, and the wiki says it's not optional.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Almost done with the game, should be able to beat the real ending later tonight.

I love it, its a fantastic love letter to SotN, but I have to say I'm hugely disappointed with the soundtrack. After the outstanding greatness that was the Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon OST (seriously, that game's soundtrack is CRAZY GOOD, and you need to play that game if you havent already), I guess I expected too much out of Yamane this time out.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really nice report!
Granted that PoR doesn't really feel that "big", but maybe because stuff is separated into they different portraits.

I have to say that RotN probably feels as the biggest to me, but that's not without is own cons, more on that on my next post, I'm still clearing up my mind.
PoR had some recycled areas.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
This game is full of camp and I love it, mostly. The one part that gets to me a little bit is the KS backer rewards being part of the game world. Reminds me a bit of PoE1 where backer rewards got in the way of the game a bit. I totally understand that it has to happen since backers made the game happen but it's a bit jarring. Especially since games like PoE2 managed to tone it down a bit.

Early Game Spoiler, Before 2nd boss
The portraits are a bit too on the nose for me. Like distractingly so... like, yep, there's random dude #55 that donated to get him mug in the game. Except for the one of the cat. That one was excellent, love that cat picture. Nice and campy like how the game should be. =)

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
PoR had some recycled areas.
Technically Bloodstained RotN doesn't hve recycled areas...
...realistically it does.
In a different way. In 2D you recycled stuff in a way, in 3D you do it in a different way, it's more subtle but it's quite clear.
I can't say more because it could be spoiler but there's recycled stuff in Bloodstained too, more than I expected.

Granted the level design of the recycled stuff is completely different, so in the end even if it can be annoying, it's still good to play it at least.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Care to elaborate?
Because I don't see this "building on OoE".
If anything Bloostained copypastes the structure and approach of SotN.
I can see similarities with OoE of course (slightly harder base difficulty, female protagonist, system to quick swap between multiple sets, had 2 in OoE, stealing powers from monsters) but those are kinda secondary things I would say?
It has way more in common with SotN if you ask me.
I guess I wouldn't call the power-stealing or the abilities you get from 'em "secondary". It's kind of big focus both on what you do, and of the story itself. Plus the way of how the loot drops are integrated with the NPC quests also enhances these OoE-vibes for me. The alchemy crafting feels like an extension of that philosophy as well. SotN is pretty bare-bones (or streamlined if you'd prefer) in this regard compared to the post-Aria of Sorrow titles. Of course your mileage on all of this will vary based on how much you engage with these elements. I'm actively seeking out all the shards.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
I guess I wouldn't call the power-stealing or the abilities you get from 'em "secondary".
It's not particularly representative of OoE though, it was initially a feature of Aria of Sorrow, then Dawn of Sorrow, and made its return (with a slightly different form) in Order of Ecclesia.
Bloodstained is different again, granted the system feels closer to DoS than OoE to me, but in the end they're all very similar concept-wise.

For instance in OoE you didn't have all this emphasis on gear/weapons (which is very tipical/unique of SotN. DoS is probably the one who got closest to that but without never reaching it).
Last but not least, because this is probably the most important aspect, is the huge emphasis on level design.
OoE tried to made things more original to get away from a formula that was getting older, and tried to do so by getting inspiration from pre-SotN Castlevania titles and offering a destructured exploration with multiple areas and much simpler/straightforward level design.

Bloodstained goes fullback to the old, original Igavania structure of SotN (and following titles) offering a cohese title with a lot of attention on exploration, backtracking and level design.

You didn't get this level in OoE, which as I said tried to break the monotony of the formula (after so many similar titles, it's a good thing that OoE tried to do that!) by changing approach.

Thanks for offering a nice perspective to the discussion btw ;-)

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much this game will sell? I see it on several youtube channels, and in social media, this thread seems to go on forever but on the other hand, not that many reviews?
Is it on any steamlist or anything?

I would like to think that the game is a huge success financial?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I wonder how much this game will sell? I see it on several youtube channels, and in social media, this thread seems to go on forever but on the other hand, not that many reviews?

Well it just came out and there were no early review copies. Plus E3 just happened. I'm sure all the big outlets will have reviews up in a few days.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

A play-through takes ... 15 hours ? i ended up at 43 hours at the end of my nightmare run. That's a a lot to cram into business days for reviews.
And i was not taking notes or dictating ...

My feeling always was that it's a niche genre though xD
A good deal of the "historical" niche members backed the project.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Well it just came out and there were no early review copies. Plus E3 just happened. I'm sure all the big outlets will have reviews up in a few days.
A play-through takes ... 15 hours ? i ended up at 43 hours at the end of my nightmare run. That's a a lot to cram into business days for reviews.
And i was not taking notes or dictating ...

Well you are absolutely right both of you. It's not that I care about metacritcs and stuff, just hoping that more people discover igavania and that we get at least one sequel of this.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Well you are absolutely right both of you. It's not that I care about metacritcs and stuff, just hoping that more people discover igavania and that we get at least one sequel of this.

Don't worry too much about that :)
The publishers noticed the very high subscription to the project, and in the kickstarter a member of the team wrote that "Bloodstained 2 will not be a crowdfunded project" ... some might think he forgot an "if bloodstained 2 happens"... i think it's a voluntary omission and IGA will work soon or is already on the sequel planning and preproduction ;)

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
just hoping that more people discover igavania and that we get at least one sequel of this.
As long as they take their time releasing them and make sure each of the game has a scope as big as this one, I'm fine.
With the GBA + DS releases I feel people were getting a bit bored of the genre, especially because most of those titles were on low budget and IGA had to accept a lot of compromises in terms of... many things. Mostly features/depth/stuff offered to the players.

It's not the case with Bloodstained, it wasn't with SotN either probably, with due differences.

I'm all for Igavania to be reborn as an indie title with good enough budget, I think the world is "ready" for it, but I'm not particularly optimistic.
IGA can't do this alone, and I don't think he has the perfect team to develop this, yet.
Bloodstained quite clearly went through several development issues, SEVERAL.
It's too big to be considered an indie title like other successful metroidvania, yet it's not big enough to stand out from other indie/alternative titles.

It's in a complicated situation.
I'd be very happy to see Igavanias back on the market, but they really need to play their cards right.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna have to say after trying to mow down enemies as fast as possible in order to farm levels and mats... I gotta say

Oracle Blade is far more satisfying to use than Rhava Velar. I can see Rhaba being better once I max out a few passive shards and increase attack power. But for now I'm hooked on shooting out blades.

Also about one of the familiars...

The sword familiar is so boring in this game. It does the same set of moves no matter how much you level it up. I remember in SotN the sword would eventually dash around the screen like a jet at higher levels and even had it's own room clearing special move. From what I under stand it does change form every 25 levels

Nov 18, 2017
I'd very happily Kickstart a sequel given they have a lot of the basic engine stuff sorted for a sequel and can re-use assets.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
This game is full of camp and I love it, mostly. The one part that gets to me a little bit is the KS backer rewards being part of the game world. Reminds me a bit of PoE1 where backer rewards got in the way of the game a bit. I totally understand that it has to happen since backers made the game happen but it's a bit jarring. Especially since games like PoE2 managed to tone it down a bit.

Early Game Spoiler, Before 2nd boss
The portraits are a bit too on the nose for me. Like distractingly so... like, yep, there's random dude #55 that donated to get him mug in the game. Except for the one of the cat. That one was excellent, love that cat picture. Nice and campy like how the game should be. =)
I have a big pet peeve about the presence of backers in crowdfunded games. I understand that getting immortalized in a game is a very effective donation incentive that appeals to the ego, but I think there are better rewards to offer the big spenders than putting them in the game. La-Mulana 2 had more backer presence than I wanted but still managed to poke some good natured fun at the backers too and it felt on-brand for the tone of the game so it didn't bother me as much.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
god, i want to wait for a sale and buy it on switch but this just seems so perfect for me

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Finally beat the game and man I really enjoyed it. Trying to complete the rest aka 100% some stuff and I have some questions.

* Where do I go to fight OD?
* Is there a fast way to get all the items you need for 100% ?
* Do I need to buy all 8bit coin weapons too?
* Where can I find the rest of the Valkyrie set? I have the garb.
* For the Usurper trophy, do I just have to wait while fighting Dominique, so that Baal is summoned?

I think those are all the questions I have right now.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm at 98% shards. (End game shard stuff) I crafted all available from Johannes and have one from every monster, so I'm not sure what I'm missing. I got the one from upgrading augment luck to 9 as well. Any ideas?

Edit: Never mind I found it. One of the monsters had their shard on the list, but I never actually collected it. I suspect I killed it and left the room before it hit me.

Last edited:

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Found my first game-locking bug about twelve hours in, soon after beating
Zangetsu 2
. Game froze randomly after killing an enemy.
Otherwise I'm impressed. I don't think it quite measures up to Ecclesia (which still has the best combat and boss fights in he series) but it's definitely in the upper tier of this type of game.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Now that I've seen a few videos of the Switch version, I have to say I'm pretty damn disappointed. It was never going to be on par with the other versions, but I just don't understand how it can look so much blurrier than most Switch games that do way more and run at a better frame rate. Look at Rocket League, for example: 60fps, Unreal Engine, and while not running at a super-high resolution, still manages to look much sharper than this. I don't have any other means for playing this game, unfortunately, so I'm hoping more work will be put into improving the visuals on the Switch version in future patches. It's clear it was not a priority for the developers up to this point.
I think the Switch videos that have been posted online are not running the 1.0.2 patch. Hopefully it'll look a lot better, and I especially hope they fix the complete lack of anti-aliasing.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
20+ hours played in total and only now do I find out from a streamer that I could have used the kung fu boots special in mid-air to reach high places without having to find double jump much later.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Finished the good ending tonight and working on the platinum. I still need all the the items and about ten more food quests.

Fantastic game, I'm extremely happy with how it turned out.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch version is a goddamn mess.
Half the frame rate, super blurry (hell knows what resolution it's running at) and missing effects as well.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they get better eventually but all my familiars so far are basically this lol

tenor.gif
get the familar which enhanches your stats instead.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the thread where everyone murdered that dude for saying he played SotN for like 40 hours?

Maybe we just forgot that there's a LOT to do in IGA games?

I'm sitting at about 20 hours with less than half the map.

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I just feel like this game took the best part of every entry from the previous titles and mashed them all together in a pretty excellent package.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Quick questions to those who played this and SOTN:

which game is more challenging?
which game is longer?
which game has better music?
Bloodstained has harder boss.
Sotn is probably longer with the reverse castle
Sotn is by far the game with the better ost, like there is no even a contest for me, bloodstained try his best but the tracks are not memorable like the sotn ones.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Jippii :)
Ny game arrived today !

I'm playing on xbox an it seems like its version 1.0.0.3

Is it safe to start playing? Is the gamebreaking coffin save thing fixed?

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
the item that
zooms out your perspective
I love. I honestly feel like that view should have been default. It just feels better imo.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
who else is taking their sweet time with this game? Right now i am revisiting old enemies in order to farm all their drops and shards.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
nice

how far are you?

I'm at
the second Zangetsu fight

After that I plan to go back and farm old enemies for rare drops and start crafting in earnest.

I wanted to get to a point in the game where I felt I had all/nearly all of the movement options unlocked.

Having said that, I think I'm still only missing like 3-4 monsters shards up to the point I'm at. I'm around level 40 with well over 20 hours in.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Reviewers got the game at the same time or slightly after the backers.

Churning out a review for a 15+ hour game in less than a week is a big ask, especially when a lot of reviewers are trying to juggle multiple games at once.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
My only complaints would be the kinda meh final areas and many boss fights being rather weak or uninteresting. Otherwise it was pretty much what i expected from a new entry in the dawn/aria of sorrow like line which i'm more than happy about. Don't think any game will manage to top this for me this year.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Almost done with it. Overall I'm really happy with the game, it does exactly what was promised, nothing more, nothing less. The game definitely needs more polish though, the framerate on PS4 Pro is pretty inconsistent, I had the game crash and there's an overall feeling of sloppiness to several events and just general gameplay elements. But in the end we have a mid-tier Castlevania; a solid if unspectacular entry to the genre that I had a lot of fun playing with.

Oct 2, 2018
Ummm.. i got the
FLippy world power
power up.... and

do I have to fight the
8 bit demon thingo?
or is it optional because it was fucking hard and I had a lot of food and it still killed me

I did pick up the
CELESTE KEY
except I have no idea where to use it.