• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Oh, another question. I got a recipe book at some point. What do I do with it? I'm not seeing an option to use it at the vendors I have access to right now?

Acquired recipes should be in the prepare menu. Dominique won't sell it until you make one.

Btw, see the flying bulls in the Garden of silence? They drop a yellow shard called Alcehmic Bounty. Equipped it gives a chance to double any alchemy creation. Grab it and create a shortcut build to have it equipped for preparing meals and alchemy creation.

Last edited:

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Question on the sword familiar:

I leveled it to 99, but I don't have the sword version in my inventory, even when the sword shard isn't equipped.
So first, is there a physical sword like in SoTN for getting it to 99?
And second, am I screwed because it's part of the 1.02 patch? I'm concerned that when the patch finally rolls around on Xbox that I won't get the sword, as I've already leveled the sword to 99. I have a gut feeling gaining L99 triggers the sword unlock, not once it's already L99.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I wish the familiars weren't in here. There is no reason not to use one because there are no negative tradeoffs.
I've killed the boss with lasers that reflect off mirrors, I have yet to die in the game even with no grinding. Everything has became stupidly easy after I got the sword that acts like a boomerang, hitting everything twice per swing. I'm wondering if there's any weapon better that you can buy or make, I won't grind for one
There really is no point in engaging with most of this games weapons or techniques because a few of the weapons and shards (max dullahammer familiar) are so OP that you steamroll everything. Even on hard.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I leveled it to 99, but I don't have the sword version in my inventory, even when the sword shard isn't equipped.
And second, am I screwed because it's part of the 1.02 patch? I'm concerned that when the patch finally rolls around on Xbox that I won't get the sword, as I've already leveled the sword to 99. I have a gut feeling gaining L99 triggers the sword unlock, not once it's already L99.

I've had the sword familiar as an equippable weapon since the second I got the shard. It actually gets stronger as you level up the familiar.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017

The sword is in my inventory as a bloodletter I believe. I am not at lvl 99 but lvl 60. It should appear when you level up the shard or get more shards. I dunno though exactly. Also you can't equip the shard if you equip the sword version. Try ranking up the shard and collecting more of them.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I've killed the boss with lasers that reflect off mirrors, I have yet to die in the game even with no grinding. Everything has became stupidly easy after I got the sword that acts like a boomerang, hitting everything twice per swing. I'm wondering if there's any weapon better that you can buy or make, I won't grind for one
Well there's an upgrade for that weapon later on that lets you throw two at a time lol.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rehlor Valar (sp?) is sooooo fucking broken.
i fucking rekt O.D.
I love it. LMAO.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Is there something wrong with the "Shards Bound" %? I've got all 128 entries in my demon manual and the shards for everything but Morte, Giant Morte and the bosses that don't have shards but it's only at 92%?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I'm so late to this thread. I got my backer ps4 copy 3 days ago and recently got myself an obviously incomplete ending. Been avoiding this thread because of spoilers and my near-max levels of hype. Since I've avoided the thread for so long, could anyone tell me if the "another MN9" assholes ever showed up in here?

For real, this game is really everything I wanted it to be. The bosses can be tough as nails too if you go purely for a short ranged battle. So far the whip has been OP though. I haven't even come close to beating/completing the game I imagine, but I hope this is the start of a long and successful series because nobody really makes metroidvanias like IGA does.

I don't have any past experience with the place, but there aren't really "assholes"/trolls
Here is what happened as far as "negatives" go
There are some criticisms, which is normal.
some people have advanced early in phase, pre "day 1 patch", for various reasons and found that installing the day 1 update mid-game broke the saves silently (rendering some not-completable)
some have performance issues, stuttering etc (almost none for me on an old pc with gtx970 in win7 )
some don't like the mixing of the music and effects
some don't like the{some) composition(s)
some hate the graphics (i absolutely love what they managed to achieve despite 3D... some environments are great, they sure love gold and ice)
some stick to easy setups and then call the game easy (which is normal, every sotn+ castlevania games had OP setups)
some get frustrated for 3 or 5 minutes segments out of the 15 hours game
some find the bosses bland in design
some find the theme of the game underwhelming (would prefer something more exotic but coherent)
some find the controls poor and don't manage to pull off techniques (i have zero issue on PC, even full circle motions, mastered all techniques)
some PS4 pro user had issues handling the final boss, console crash because of overheating
some users found the story poor, others serviceable (i m in the serviceable camp)
some users found the main character voice clips annoying (japanese miriam is very fine for me)
some users hate having to pass so much time in menu, and don't like the overall menu dynamics
some users have problems running the game at 4K or exploiting UE internal config files to try to enable ultra wide modes

The one big universal issue :
EVERYBODY HATE PUTTING MARKERS ON THE DAMN MAP by pressing B/circle when they wanted to leave the map
I think that's it... ;)
Enjoy the rest of your game !

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Mine was borked too because of the patch. I was playing on 1.00 and never got the equipable version no matter what I did. Updated to 1.02 and as soon as I killed the enemy and got it's Shard drop, the sword was also obtained. I believe once you get the 1.02 patch, you'll be fine. Just need to go get a Shard drop off those enemies again.

Medica II

Alt account
Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Is there something wrong with the "Shards Bound" %? I've got all 128 entries in my demon manual and the shards for everything but Morte, Giant Morte and the bosses that don't have shards but it's only at 92%?

There are certain shards that can only be crafted. Check with Johannes to see of you have all of them.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

There are quite a few to craft. Go check that list.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yup basically a RNG chance to dupe pain in the ass components like diamonds for the alkahest cost of dismantling any of the bonus copies of gear you craft the dupe chance is rolled per item so once you dupe one and have alkahest to do so keep crafting and dismantling multiples. i plan to revert the patch once im at endgame in Hard mode to feel safe when i try nightmare mode with tons of food for heals XD. still need to find orichalcum tho =/

i would see if u can craft something taht uses gold and have alchemic bounty lvl 4 equipped and craft and dismantle till u get dupes and then dismantle the dupes for free gold :P farm alkahest from ghost type enemies since patch ahs em at 800 a pop
Just got Alchemic Bounty is rank 8. Farmed all those alkahest. Just need Bixbite and I on my way to that area soon. All my procs were x3 when it worked. I saved scummed a lot to get those 27 gold materials lol.

Orichalcum is off G Axe Outsiders in the last area.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit lost. Does anyone know where I am supposed to go after the twin dragons boss (not really a spoiler since its in all of the trailers)? I do have the double jump now too. Can't really figure it out and I also have no idea what the item that I got from the twin dragons does too.

It said something about putting out flames but I haven't seen anything on the map that blocks my path with flames.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit lost. Does anyone know where I am supposed to go after the twin dragons boss (not really a spoiler since its in all of the trailers)? I do have the double jump now too. Can't really figure it out and I also have no idea what the item that I got from the twin dragons does too.

It said something about putting out flames but I haven't seen anything on the map that blocks my path with flames.
Go to the far left of the room with the church lady in it

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
you make your own fun. Who wants to constantly be in shit fight with monsters when you constantly need to grind to get stuff so the best thing in this game is to make the effort minimal.

Yeah the fun behind these games for me is 100% map completion, all monsters and their drops revealed, maxed level, and at least 1 of each item in the inventory. Essentially playing the game until absolutely everything is done.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Go to OD then let us know if you still don't know where to go from there. This is probably the most vague part of the game progression though

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The worst has been a few "hollow knight was the better ks funded metroidvania" but that's a very minor group. Most people have either been thrilled with the game, or are waiting for their switch copies.

Consider me legit shocked there wasn't more than that. I can't get behind the hollow knight argument either though.

I don't have any past experience with the place, but there aren't really "assholes"/trolls
Here is what happened as far as "negatives" go
There are some criticisms, which is normal.
some people have advanced early in phase, pre "day 1 patch", for various reasons and found that installing the day 1 update mid-game broke the saves silently (rendering some not-completable)
some have performance issues, stuttering etc (almost none for me on an old pc with gtx970 in win7 )
some don't like the mixing of the music and effects
some don't like the{some) composition(s)
some hate the graphics (i absolutely love what they managed to achieve despite 3D... some environments are great, they sure love gold and ice)
some stick to easy setups and then call the game easy (which is normal, every sotn+ castlevania games had OP setups)
some get frustrated for 3 or 5 minutes segments out of the 15 hours game
some find the bosses bland in design
some find the theme of the game underwhelming (would prefer something more exotic but coherent)
some find the controls poor and don't manage to pull off techniques (i have zero issue on PC, even full circle motions, mastered all techniques)
some PS4 pro user had issues handling the final boss, console crash because of overheating
some users found the story poor, others serviceable (i m in the serviceable camp)
some users found the main character voice clips annoying (japanese miriam is very fine for me)
some users hate having to pass so much time in menu, and don't like the overall menu dynamics
some users have problems running the game at 4K or exploiting UE internal config files to try to enable ultra wide modes

The one big universal issue :
EVERYBODY HATE PUTTING MARKERS ON THE DAMN MAP by pressing B/circle when they wanted to leave the map
I think that's it... ;)
Enjoy the rest of your game !

Ah yeah, legit criticism is fine. I also despise the marker system and a few other things but nothing that really tarnishes the game too much overall for me. I'll never understand some of the easy difficulty complaints when those people are employing cheese strategies. Those have been around in castlevania games for a long time now though.

If anything I was referring more to the people coming into every kickstarter update that was made into a thread that wrote this game off as a case of "another Mighty No 9." That got tiring pretty fast and I avoided this place every time an update came through kickstarter lol.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get Rice? I still haven'T seen any dropping?

I got Rice Seed but not sure what to do with those?

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Man, I finally got a gamebreaking glitch. I had gotten the risk ring, and when I went into my inventory to check it out, Miriam didn't have a head. Hadn't even equipped it yet at that point. When I exit out of the menu, I get a loading screen and it's stuck on the menu screen. Had to end the game in Task Manager.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't think I would say this, but playing the Switch version in handheld mode is pretty good, even compared to PC. I think it might be because of the way things scale down to that screen size that the loss of detail and perceived smoothness from the 30fps are an OK trade-off. I don't like it on TV, but if you're just going to play it on handheld, it's a good choice.

As for resolutions on PC, not having any problems that some are. 4K60 runs fine when changing to my TV as primary, as does 1440p144 w/ framerate smoothing off on my Dell.

4K from early in the game:

qZN3sRC.jpg

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this safe to play again? Is the chest glitch fixed?

The glitch may be related to how the Chest IDs got changed (as there was some minor retooling and gameplay changes, that also likely resulted in some Chest IDs being re-arranged), which resulted in the wrong chests being open on the save file. This is likely why they weren't able to easily patch this problem, since even if they rolled back the Chest IDs, people playing on 1.02 would end up running into it as well. It's likely a save specific issues at that point.

If you start it up on the current patch, there should be no issues. The next major patch update isn't until awhile off, so you shouldn't have any concerns. Plus, given they're aware of the issues, it's unlikely this'll be a problem going forward.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Is this safe to play again? Is the chest glitch fixed?

If you've ever started your save in ver 1.00 or 1.01 and update to 1.02, you'll get glitches and possibly the game breaking kind. Even if you play all the way through in 1.00 or 1.01, you'll be able to beat the game both bad and good endings ; however other things will not work properly if you go for say, the platinum trophy. The only way to have a fully working playthrough to 100% the game, is start either a fresh save on ver 1.02 or a fresh new game + save on ver 1.02.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Question:

For those of us backers who were simultaneously dumb enough to request the switch version AND who are willing to spend more money for a performant version of the game (probably during the first real sale): Did all the backer exclusive stuff get folded into the base game? Is there any difference between a backer key and a humble key at this point?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Go to OD then let us know if you still don't know where to go from there. This is probably the most vague part of the game progression though

That did the trick. Thanks man! Also yes, that was vague. I don't know how I was suppose to figure that out unless a hint was in a piece of dialog somewhere I missed.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
This underground passageway and hidden desert can suck my ass. They never end. Worst areas in the game so far.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game about half an hour ago. (99.60%) The last 3 story boss got rekt so badly, i felt embarrassed for them. LMAO.

Question. Apparently you can get an extra line of dialogue near the end, what is it ?
Well it's Criss basically, what do you expect? XD
LOL. True true.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest flaw in this game is the sheer number of enemies that hang out off the screen but have full ability to hit you whenever they want. SotN only had a few enemies like this but this game has them EVERYWHERE. It's stupid, broken bullshit that basically just substitutes difficulty out for cheapness.