• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight has overall stronger boss fights and the cohesion between its visuals, audio, world and character design are better.

But I like the underlying systems in ROTN better. It fundamentally understands that farming and grinding don't inherently need to be a negative and gives so many tools that it is always an optional activity. I plan to fill out so much shit during GDQ.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I take it you haven't finished it yet. Story is fine although nothing special. Igavanias weren't exactly known for their story so much anyway.
Ya totally and thats good to hear. Igavanias did not have great stories as you say but they benefitted from having great settings that needed very little explanation to be cool. This game struggles with that a fair deal, it might have been better to just base it all on Yokai and Oni and explore a giant Osaka Castle based map instead to give the game a more unique setting.

Cool game so take this more as a holistic critique

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The only frustration I experienced playing HK was at my own skills. In Bloodstained, I feel like I'm banging my head against its design decisions at a semi-regular basis. The water section in particular was really testing the limits of my patience. It approaches Ocarina of Time levels of annoying. There's way too much time spent looking at menu's in general. It's crazy to think that Symphony of the Night, of all games, feels streamlined compared to Bloodstained RotN.

I'm enjoying it a lot. But I think there's a much better game in Bloodstained if they cut away the fat.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would just like to say that the shortcuts are a godsend. I haven't played many Igavanias since SotN, so this could be a feature that was implemented long ago. But holy shit being able to quick switch sets on the fly to fend off multiple enemy types in the same room is revolutionary. Copying and pasting sets of short cuts when you gather a slew of new items is a pain, but as long as you stay on top of equipment changes it's a totally new way to experience the genre.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I just finished my first playthrough and loved the game for the most part. It truly is another worthy game in the Igavania series, but the one thing that soured my experience was the ungodly amount of bugs and generally the amount of rough edges in game design are noticeable. On Xbox, I came across numerous bugs that forced me to reload my save and one that is preventing me from getting a certain item drop from a monster.

I still love this game to death though and am hoping these bugs get patched out soon. 8.75/10 from me.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I was a bit disappointed that
it doesn't really look like Curse of the Moon. I understand that both games were being worked on by different teams but it kinda feels like a missed opportunity. It's still pretty neat though.

I think they could have possibly felt that
as Curse of the Moon was taking on concepts and ideas from Ritual of the Night, it would just seem "lazy" to copy a game that was copying their game. It also seemed the homage was more particularly focused on giving a wink of Harmony of Despair with the concept of a cursed demonic history book and the original Castlevania with enemy and boss design, so if they were more inspired by the OG 'vania, it meant they were already thinking of something different than Curse of Moon's focus on Dracula's Curse as the gameplay inspiration.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Bought the game! Downloading right now. Please give newbie tips. I havent played Castlevania since I was 5.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game! Downloading right now. Please give newbie tips. I havent played Castlevania since I was 5.
If you jump and attack just before landing, you can immediately attack again upon landing for a quick 2-hit combo. You can also attack, then cancel with a back-step, then attack again in the back-step for a quick 2 hits while creating a little space between you and an advancing enemy.

For the first boss, use the Claymore sword you should have found along the way. It's the easiest way to keep hitting her when she switches positions.

Craft all your gear and only buy support items and materials from the shop.

Good luck and have fun!

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I was really hoping they didn't put in those damn fighting game special moves. I can't pull off quarter circle with enough regularity for it to be worth the effort at all. Not with a Dpad anyway.
There's like no point to use it anyway, given you can just use R2.
I just beat Katana dude, and given he is the second boss, it was WAY too much of a difficulty spike. I just came off Sotn before buying this and I'd say that it's harder than anything Alucard had to face. Hell, I beat radience in hollow knight, and Katana dude was harder than the first half of HKs bosses. My immediate thought was that I must have gone the wrong way and was meant to be a higher level. Also, unlimited potion usage from the menu is terrible design.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I actually love the special input moves. They should put in an alternate method of doing them though.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping they didn't put in those damn fighting game special moves. I can't pull off quarter circle with enough regularity for it to be worth the effort at all. Not with a Dpad anyway.
There's like no point to use it anyway, given you can just use R2.
I just beat Katana dude, and given he is the second boss, it was WAY too much of a difficulty spike. I just came off Sotn before buying this and I'd say that it's harder than anything Alucard had to face.

Im the opposite

I love when games do that shit, switching weapons to do parrys and then switching over and doing a massive projectile all while still having tons of other bullshit on the screen is very satisfying

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The only frustration I experienced playing HK was at my own skills. In Bloodstained, I feel like I'm banging my head against its design decisions at a semi-regular basis. The water section in particular was really testing the limits of my patience. It approaches Ocarina of Time levels of annoying. There's way too much time spent looking at menu's in general. It's crazy to think that Symphony of the Night, of all games, feels streamlined compared to Bloodstained RotN.

I'm enjoying it a lot. But I think there's a much better game in Bloodstained if they cut away the fat.

Somewhat agree with the menus, but why is the water section bothering you so much? I don't find it nearly as obnoxious as the Zelda water temple. It's not that big, and the only thing I found truly annoying about it was how gated it was, and how it was one of the early places you can find, but can't really traverse until a lot later.

Im the opposite

I love when games do that shit, switching weapons to do parrys and then switching over and doing a massive projectile all while still having tons of other bullshit on the screen is very satisfying

This is probably the most obnoxious thing in the game for me. Had zero problems playing SF2 with an SNES controller, had few issues pulling off any of the specials in SotN with a PS1 controller, yet in this game the inputs do not feel remotely as consistent. Either that, or there's an obnoxious amount of input lag coming from somewhere. Trying to consistently just do a QCF? Works maybe 50% of the time. Any of the HCF moves? LMAO, forget it, I'll just spend my mana on an 8-bit fireball or Welcome Guest instead. The only reliable ones are the forwards and backwards motions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
If you jump and attack just before landing, you can immediately attack again upon landing for a quick 2-hit combo. You can also attack, then cancel with a back-step, then attack again in the back-step for a quick 2 hits while creating a little space between you and an advancing enemy.

For the first boss, use the Claymore sword you should have found along the way. It's the easiest way to keep hitting her when she switches positions.

Craft all your gear and only buy support items and materials from the shop.

Good luck and have fun!
Woohoo! Thanks!

So when you say craft gear, that means don't pick up any armor or weapons?

mcwizardry

Oct 25, 2017
The final boss was a little annoying because of hitboxes and attack animations / phases overlapping but otherwise a pretty cool game.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodless fight NG hard mode with minimal shard use and no potions.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat agree with the menus, but why is the water section bothering you so much? I don't find it nearly as obnoxious as the Zelda water temple. It's not that big, and the only thing I found truly annoying about it was how gated it was, and how it was one of the early places you can find, but can't really traverse until a lot later.

The going in and out of menus part was major pain in the butt. It kills the flow of the game to have to do it so often.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im the opposite

Protip for all the technique lovers: use a technique until you've mastered it ( you can see progress on the technique's screen) It will let you use that technique with other weapons of the same class

Swords have too many techniques. Whips not enough. In my experience so far.

This is probably the most obnoxious thing in the game for me. Had zero problems playing SF2 with an SNES controller, had few issues pulling off any of the specials in SotN with a PS1 controller, yet in this game the inputs do not feel remotely as consistent. Either that, or there's an obnoxious amount of input lag coming from somewhere. Trying to consistently just do a QCF? Works maybe 50% of the time. Any of the HCF moves? LMAO, forget it, I'll just spend my mana on an 8-bit fireball or Welcome Guest instead. The only reliable ones are the forwards and backwards motions.
I haven't found any HCF weapons, but A LOT of QCB + F weapons. Maybe that's your problem?

Completely separately, I found a key...and have 0 idea where it goes lol. Like none at all. Hoo boy. Do I give up and look it up? This is the first I've been stumped.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017

Thats why you dont see them implemented in side scrolling games more often. since you're not facing one direction constantly in a traditional 2D fighter the moves feel inconsistent.

The only way to counteract this would be to implement a lock position button that would just muddy up the controls. It's just nice to have them available as a bonus way to play with more variety.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Urrrrrgh. Accidentally saved my NG+ file over my old one.

I mean, it's not the end of the world seeing as it is a NG+ run after all, and I think I needed to do one for 100% items.

But at the same time, urrrrrrrrgh.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just beat it. The last stretch of the game fell a little flat. Maybe it should have ended a bit earlier. That last area was kinda...unremarkable.
Still, really good game overall. As I said earlier, they need to patch the hell out of it. I think that should be much more of a priority than the DLC.
But once they iron some things out, it will stand as one of the best Igavanias. It's still a bit too fresh for me to rank it right now though but I think pretty highly of it overall.

I tend to replay my favorite Castlevania games pretty frequently, at least 2 or 3 of them per year. And I can see this and Curse of the Moon fitting in that rotation quite nicely. I will revisit them a lot in the future.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Lvl 99 I did it! Plus lvl 99 Silver Knight!

Then I realized that lvling up the
sword makes the equipable sword stronger
... oh well more grinding I guess :D

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
3 hours of playtime so far. I'm loving it so much. It combines the best elements of SotN, OoE, and AoS/DoS. Just incredible.

So far, I have only a few, very minor issues with the game:
  • I wish the map would zoom in closer to Miriam's position by default, and also center it. Having to do this manually every single time I open the map is annoying.
  • They should have used a different button for setting map markers. I always press Circle to close the map, followed by an annoyed sigh because it sets a marker instead.
  • Unlike the item menu, in the archive/compendium you don't see which entries are new. So I have no way to see which ones I have yet to read.
  • I'm not a fan of the weird shiny texture of some enemies/characters.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, the level/map design in this game is kinda wack. Too often after getting the ability to get through a particular area, you're immediately faced with yet another obstacle when you backtrack to that area.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, the level/map design in this game is kinda wack. Too often after getting the ability to get through a particular area, you're immediately faced with yet another obstacle when you backtrack to that area.

Arguably the same as SotN. Very easy to diverge into various pathways after getting an upgrade only to realize you hit more brickwalls until you discover the 'one' fork of many 'new' options that leads you forward.

Boss Keys did a great video on that exact issue.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
With all the talk about bugs, I guess waiting just a bit for patches before starting is probably way to go.

I did the same with La-Mulana 2, and it worked out great.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya totally and thats good to hear. Igavanias did not have great stories as you say but they benefitted from having great settings that needed very little explanation to be cool. This game struggles with that a fair deal, it might have been better to just base it all on Yokai and Oni and explore a giant Osaka Castle based map instead to give the game a more unique setting.

With any luck, they'll be able to develop a sequel. I'd be very interested in seeing what they can do.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

With any luck, they'll be able to develop a sequel. I'd be very interested in seeing what they can do.

Originally IGA pitched this game to companies as a globetrotting game where he can sell locations as DLC, hence the idea of a boat, a desert, and even Eastern mystical themes are in some of the locations; these were likely unique locations you traveled to when he conceived of the game at that stage. I believe you were originally going to start in England and then travel the world. The idea was settled on a castle only when reforming his idea as a crowdfunding project simply because he then tailored his idea to what fans and not what publishers would like.

I expect a sequel to be more in this original design of a globetrotting affair. They didn't seem to give much story and development to the concept of a castle other than it being summoned, so unlike Castlevania, (spoilers for the series this is a successor to)
the castle itself isn't a living demon that adheres to a ruler. The castle doesn't represent a source of power to a host either, something Castlevania does. These already mean they do not need a recurring setting and enemy.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
holy shit, I had no idea that you get all the passive skills permanently if you get it to rank 9.

Spliced-Up

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the game on hard, what a treat it was. The level design was top notch, tons of variety and viable strategies with items and skills, lots of depth with the crafting, solid soundtrack, and very well balanced on hard.

The grinding for items and shards never felt tiresome thanks to fairly generous drop rates and ways to skyrocket your luck.

Only minor gripe is that the progression felt somewhat underwhelming, too many items or abilities that were only used once or twice and had very little impact on moment to moment gameplay.

Oh and the final act definitely felt rushed with the less inspired environments and reused assets, but that's completely understandable given the scope of the game considering it was built from scratch.

I'd rank it right behind SotN, and it's a very close 2nd. I really hope they dive directly into a sequel with all the knowledge and experience from this, it could be something REALLY special.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Arguably the same as SotN. Very easy to diverge into various pathways after getting an upgrade only to realize you hit more brickwalls until you discover the 'one' fork of many 'new' options that leads you forward.

Boss Keys did a great video on that exact issue.

Yep this is what I was reminded of every time I faced this problem. It's really annoying. I think I'm near the end, I got the
invert
ability and I again was stuck after exhausting seemingly all possibilities. Had to look up online to see where to go and it's like... what the fuck. This isn't quality game design.