• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is it weird that one of the best music tracks (IMO) is the 8-bit nightmare one?

Also, are chests the only source of gold?

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have a tracking number for my switch version, but it's still in preshipment. Ugh.

Are there any articles anywhere about how it performs from people who got it early?

Medica II

Alt account
Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Does anyone know what room(s) Benjamin appears in?

I ran into him very early in my playthrough but didnt have a waystone on me at the time, now I cant remember where I found him.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so the patch issues have finally screwed me up confirmed, I can't get the spike breaker doo-dad.
Now...is there any way for me to cheese the spike corridor otherwise?

edit: brute forced one...and then there was another, whhhhhyyy

Last edited:

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Overall the game was disappointing. It certainly has potential, but it's lacking in many aspects.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so the patch issues have finally screwed me up confirmed, I can't get the spike breaker doo-dad.
Now...is there any way for me to cheese the spike corridor otherwise?
You can try to revert the patch. check the threadmark. There's a chance your save will be corrupted so stick a backup in the cloud or USB stick if you can.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
So I think I'm a bit lost. I got the Bad Ending, but now I don't know where to actually go to progress.

Also, a random ass hallway in the Dian Cecht Cathedral has a green scroll symbol on it in the map, like the symbol for quests in your archive. But there is nothing in that hallway at all, just one random dog to kill that is not part of a quest.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
So I think I'm a bit lost. I got the Bad Ending, but now I don't know where to actually go to progress.

Also, a random ass hallway in the Dian Cecht Cathedral has a green scroll symbol on it in the map, like the symbol for quests in your archive. But there is nothing in that hallway at all, just one random dog to kill that is not part of a quest.

Like in Symphony there's some things you need to do to get the good ending.
Get the Silver Bromide from the Twin Dragon Tower
Meet the librarian
Open access to the train and get reflector ray
get Blood Siphon and drain the blood fountain

That should get you going.

Does anyone have a weapon or item list for the trophy? I know it's still early days I'm just looking for what I need.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
You can try to revert the patch. check the threadmark. There's a chance your save will be corrupted so stick a backup in the cloud or USB stick if you can.
After a few attempts and potions, I got the rhythm down to eat spikes for breakfast and have progressed further on!
If nothing else this wacked out day 1 experience will be memorable.

I eventually realised that pressing circle on the map screen drops markers, which isn't actually mentioned on the map screen so I was very confused as to these strange symbols on the map for the longest time, turns out they were my own.

Also there's probably some reflector beam areas you've missed so far as a hint that should hopefully help.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain Sword Expertise shard (or any other "expertise" shard)? Ranking it up is absolutely NOT making the attacks any faster.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Like in Symphony there's some things you need to do to get the good ending.
Get the Silver Bromide from the Twin Dragon Tower
Meet the librarian
Open access to the train and get reflector ray
get Blood Siphon and drain the blood fountain

That should get you going.
So I already went through that entire area as far as I can get. There's a water narrow path (reflector beam I assume) path I can't get through becuase while I can go underwater using aqua stream, I can't open chests or use an other shards underwater thus far.

I eventually realised that pressing circle on the map screen drops markers, which isn't actually mentioned on the map screen so I was very confused as to these strange symbols on the map for the longest time, turns out they were my own.

Its not that kind of map marker, it's something different.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
So I already went through that entire area as far as I can get. There's a water narrow path (reflector beam I assume) path I can't get through becuase while I can go underwater using aqua stream, I can't open chests or use an other shards underwater thus far.

Its not that kind of map marker, it's something different.
Ok some more explicit spoilers
After beating Alfred in the desert area you should be able to use the elevator near his arena to move down one level and go into a room with the shard you need to walk under water.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Ok some more explicit spoilers
After beating Alfred in the desert area you should be able to use the elevator near his arena to move down one level and go into a room with the shard you need to walk under water.

This explicit spoiler definitely helps tell me what I'm missing. Specifically, despite not seeing any notable dead ends that I haven't already checked and found myself unable to get past, I don't know how to get to this
desert area
you mention. So figuring out where that is should help.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
This explicit spoiler definitely helps tell me what I'm missing. Specifically, despite not seeing any notable dead ends that I haven't already checked and found myself unable to get past, I don't know how to get to this
desert area
you mention. So figuring out where that is should help.

Underwater Caverns. Farm the squid looking demons in the water (not the horse or the fish) and it will give you a directional shard that pushes you through the water.

Go down and you will end up in the desert area.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone explain Sword Expertise shard (or any other "expertise" shard)? Ranking it up is absolutely NOT making the attacks any faster.
Ranking up any yellow shard to rank 9 will turn them into passive shards that are always active. They even stack with each other.

It does speed up the attacks ever so slightly, but it's barely noticeable.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
What a waste of time.

Thanks.
I got g swords expertise to rank 9 and optimizer to rank 9 and then equipped g swords on top and it yielded me over 120 attack. The attack speed is just a bonus. With all 3 shards and the prowess tome, you could chain attacks incredible fast. Along with the only really useful manipulator shard, I was dishing out 500-700er hits twice a second or so.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
What is the recommended familiar for late/end game? Overall I feel like I'm not properly equipped for these last bosses, and the familiar feels like an easy area for improvement.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I like this a lot more than Hollow Knight. Combat feels better.
The lack of a real dash button made everything far worse in my book. It actually felt rather clunky. The stop animation when you do a ground pound or a slide are also very off-putting. You also run like a snail. It's also a nightmare to hit anything above your head unless you play with great swords.

There are items that "improve" the back dash and sliding and running... those should have been the norm and I bet at some point they were, until someone thought it was a good idea to offset those into items... if it at least were permanent upgrades... but nope. Items.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Taking my time, getting every shard and drop I can. Pretty sure I found a secret area

The 8-Bit Nightmare room

I'm about level 32, should I go ahead and tackle it now?

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The lack of a real dash button made everything far worse in my book. It actually felt rather clunky. The stop animation when you do a ground pound or a slide are also very off-putting. You also run like a snail. It's also a nightmare to hit anything above your head unless you play with great swords.

There are items that "improve" the back dash and sliding and running... those should have been the norm and I bet at some point they were, until someone thought it was a good idea to offset those into items... if it at least were permanent upgrades... but nope. Items.

There is a Shard that adds a really fast dash on the R1 button, you find it in the second to last area and it carries over to NG+

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like this a lot more than Hollow Knight. Combat feels better.

Really? I think it feels pretty bad. Really couldn't disagree more.

I got g swords expertise to rank 9 and optimizer to rank 9 and then equipped g swords on top and it yielded me over 120 attack. The attack speed is just a bonus. With all 3 shards and the prowess tome, you could chain attacks incredible fast. Along with the only really useful manipulator shard, I was dishing out 500-700er hits twice a second or so.

Well damn.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Invert to the ceiling and stay there, especially for the boss fight. Equip the flying sword. And go all out on Fire resistance, MP reduction, and your best directional attack shard that hits from a distance.

The boss fight is reminiscent of a bullet hell like boss fight, get ready to time jumps and dodge things.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
There is a Shard that adds a really fast dash on the R1 button, you find it in the second to last area and it carries over to NG+
That's another issue. The "progression" system is uninspired and feels unrewarding and makes no sense.
You get an ability (you have to equip for some fucking reason) where you can move metal blocks... that you need exactly in 2 places. Wow.
Then you get a double jump, which is useless for the most part.
Then you get the invert-ability, which you need exactly once because then you get access to the shard, that makes invert apart from a select few places totally obsolete. The boost shard should have replaced double jump tbh. Or that should have been a fast forward dash or something.
Then you get the beam ability, which is also obsolete by the teleport shard.
Why? Nothing about it feels like it opens up new content really. And why two of those things SHARDS and not permanent abilities?
Just urgh...

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Alright, I'm kinda losing my mind, not sure what else to do right now.
So I've got invert, and it's clear that I need some way to start bypassing the yellow spikes, but I've scoured almost everything and I can't seem to find my next target. I'm sure there's some small thing I'm missing that I need to use invert to get, but I can't seem to find it.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Aegis armor increases speed?
No, but during the race are traps which you can ignore with the armor.

So I've got invert, and it's clear that I need some way to start bypassing the yellow spikes, but I've scoured almost everything and I can't seem to find my next target. I'm sure there's some small thing I'm missing that I need to use invert to get, but I can't seem to find it.
In the right area with the long spiral tower you can now access a chest that gives you an armor that lets you ignore trap damage.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

It's in the are where you fought
the twin dragons

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I need help, stuck in the late game, I explored 80% of the map, and just beat
Zangetsu again, and he gave me his sword

I don't see any area I haven't explored yet, the map looks complete and yet it says 80,10% can anyone point me in the right direction? :< I also
used the carpenter key and beat the carpenter but it didn't seem to do much except give me a new fragment

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017

I don't see any area I haven't explored yet, the map looks complete and yet it says 80,10% can anyone point me in the right direction? :< I also
used the carpenter key and beat the carpenter but it didn't seem to do much except give me a new fragment
I was stuck there too.

Endgame / Good ending spoilers
Proceed to the end boss, but just damage him until the moon turns red. Then equip his sword and cut the moon with it.
Afterwards, go where you fought Zangetsu the first time (garden of silence) and cut the moon there.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017

You're really close
Read the description of the sword

more specific
Fight Gebel with the sword equipped. When the moon turns red attack the moon with the Zangetsuto.