• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2.5D worked well this time. They should just refine it, specially the lighting and camera direction.

It's not worth it to balloon up the budget for a marginal "upgrade" to 2D.
I have to agree, and stuff like the character customization may not affect gameplay but I really do like it.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bathtub lady is making me feel like I'm underleveled significantly, like holy shit I'm absolutely wailing on her and she just DOES NOT DIIIIIE, yet she has at least three noticeable phases of battle where here moveset increases, yet it takes me yonks to reach them alone, let alone how much damage I take from slipping up.
Yeah, I couldn't beat her for a while. I had 600 hp and a bunch of high potions. Still died. Found out I'm supposed to go to another area and steamrolled that boss easily. Came back and it took a few more tries to bring her down.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok how do I beat the samurai guy

I need help
When he stops and raises his sword up it's a counter don't hit him with a physical attack from the front. It's safe to dump magic into him from the front.

Always be moving away from him if you see him coming at you from the ground jump away. If you see him go airborne turn around and slide under him.

Only attack when he is stuck recovering from his leaping attacks.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I couldn't beat her for a while. I had 600 hp and a bunch of high potions. Still died. Found out I'm supposed to go to another area and steamrolled that boss easily. Came back and it took a few more tries to bring her down.
Yeah it seems I may have to go take a wander, even using a great big heaving greatsword with attack animations sped up, whilst empowered with attack up by my book familiar, it just keeps on going.

I will take this as a sign to explore elsewhere then.

I need help
I want to say he's quite susceptible to simply jumping over him instead of trying to face him head-on with backsteps and the like.
Also I had one of those spiral swords dropped by the knights wielding them around the area and its multi hit properties seemed pretty handy here.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Bathtub lady is making me feel like I'm underleveled significantly, like holy shit I'm absolutely wailing on her and she just DOES NOT DIIIIIE, yet she has at least three noticeable phases of battle where here moveset increases, yet it takes me yonks to reach them alone, let alone how much damage I take from slipping up.
Easily the boss I had the hardest time with.

Phase 1, the goal is just don't get hit. Keep hitting her but take your time. The umbrella missile hits SUCK so really avoid those.
Phase 2, the blood twisters have three "safe" spots. The left, right, and center of the arena won't get swamped but she's still attacking. Again, don't get hit if you can avoid it. If not the twisters damage isn't as bad as some of her other attacks and the knockback often sends you into safety so if you NEEd to get hit that's not the worst option.
Phase 3, Blood rain is the WORST. If you get caught in this you're probably dead. There's a couple safe spots, you need to look at the floor and ceiling. The safe areas won't have blood on them. This is the most tense part of the fight cause one misstep and you're done. I was able to luck my way through.

If you are having too much trouble there should be other places you can go to open up more map and level up and maybe get better weapons. Or at least stock up on food and healing items.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Have you come across a boss that gives you a game over when you beat it? Now that you have that sword you should try something different during that fight.

Im glad you said that because I brought that sword in twice to the fight and nothing happened, must have totally been on the wrong track.

ok got it were good ty ty

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say he's quite susceptible to simply jumping over him instead of trying to face him head-on with backsteps and the like.
Also I had one of those spiral swords dropped by the knights wielding them around the area and its multi hit properties seemed pretty handy here.
On hard and nightmare he has an uppercut he can do from the ground it has a similar starting animation to the dash attack always jumping over him will get you killed

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
So is it worth maxing Bloodbringer to upgrade the sword with the same name? Like can it become a mid to endgame weapon? Since they're linked.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, so I just beat the final boss and during it's death animation my PS4 quickly overheated and shut off.

LaTasse

Nov 7, 2017
16 hours so far. Finished the games a couple of hours and I have been busy completing some achievement ever since. I crafted some high end sword and weapons and beat every boss in the game. I think I'll stop after finishing the last quests of the game.
I hope they'll fix the console version soon, it's strange having a UE4 game with so much issues.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

I need help

throw bats at him. also do the cooking quests for the old lady in town until she gives you an apron, which is seemingly the best piece of armor you can get at that point in the game + also reduces fire damage.
(though i think you can just craft aprons for like three cotton)

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Copped the Switch version. Figured I'd gamble against the chest bug and dive in now because I've been feening for an IGAvania for years.

Getting shards is just as satisfying as it was getting souls in the Sorrow duology.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there any reason to go for the "bad" endings? Do they come with their own trophies, or can I just go for the true ending?

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
So I haven't been following this at all but i'm very interested. Couple of questions:

1. Is it as good as the DS Castlevanias? Those are the only ones I've played.

2. How long is the game?

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just ran into a suspiciously looking bookcase and it literally transported me to an 8 bit world. The enemies had so much health. Everything did so much damage lol.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't been following this at all but i'm very interested. Couple of questions:

2. How long is the game?
1. Definitely on par. It's up there with OoE and Aria for me.

2. I'm 10 hours in doing a through playthrough with 76% map completion. If you only do one playthrough and guide your way through the critical path I could see 6-8 hours. If you engage with the side content and load up on shards you'll hit 20+ hours easy especially if you try the other difficulties and even more once the other playable characters come out.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So just tried the final boss again, once again when I beat it and the death animation played, my PS4 Pro's fans kicked into overdrive but thankfully it didn't shut off this time somehow. Really don't think i'll do a NG+ because I don't want to beat the final boss again. Also, during the ending scenes I had sound effects from the last boss still playing in the background.

That aside, I really loved the game.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Regarding the progression blocker bug. Does this happen to all versions of the game that started before the latest update? I played the game at launch, beat the first boss, then stopped until today. Should I just restart from the beginning? Or am I safe?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the progression blocker bug. Does this happen to all versions of the game that started before the latest update? I played the game at launch, beat the first boss, then stopped until today. Should I just restart from the beginning? Or am I safe?

I believe starting a fresh save file while on the latest version is fine

The bug affects those who started on a lower version that hadnt progressed to a certain point in the game and then updated i believe

Correct me if im wrong though guys

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

Trust me when I say to delete all your save data, and re-install the game. Start a new file. I had a 99% NG+ file that got corrupted because I started playing with a patch 1.1 save. I had to revert back the vanilla disc to continue, and then had to go back to 1.2 to trigger progression events.

I had a level 50 NG+ file with about 40 hours of grinding. I was going for the Plat, and had to just delete my cloud/local saves to fresh install. Thankfully I still have my trophies on PSN, but the last 3 days was wasted.

Start over now. It's not worth it in the long run. You don't know how it'll effect the future DLC content. I'm going to replay in a few patches once the game is stable. Not touching this again for a while.

Poshi

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Just jumped in to this thread since i´m curious what you guys think about the game.

Do you like it? Is this one of the better kickstartered games? Do you think this is the spiritual succesor of SOTN?

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell does a butt ugly game like this lag so much on this big boss near the end of the game. Worst lag I've seen since New Vegas on PS3.

What level were people at what I presume to be the final area? I'm level 30 and feel kind of squishy.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just jumped in to this thread since i´m curious what you guys think about the game.

Do you like it? Is this one of the better kickstartered games? Do you think this is the spiritual succesor of SOTN?
Its like the Pillars of Eternity RPGs in that they did a great job in mimicking the type of game they pitched.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I got to the very end of the game and then updated to patch 1.02. Wow the graphics are way different. I like both tbh but the performance took a hit with 1.02.

Beat the game btw. Hispanicguy that fang doesn't pop up in patches under 1.02. 1.02 adds it. 12% chance of drop with the enemy I mentioned earlier.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
How the hell does a butt ugly game like this lag so much on this big boss near the end of the game. Worst lag I've seen since New Vegas on PS3.

What level were people at what I presume to be the final area? I'm level 30 and feel kind of squishy.

Level 30-40 is about what the game intends you to be at. I got around 50 by grinding for items post-game.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I believe starting a fresh save file while on the latest version is fine

The bug affects those who started on a lower version that hadnt progressed to a certain point in the game and then updated i believe

Correct me if im wrong though guys

Trust me when I say to delete all your save data, and re-install the game. Start a new file. I had a 99% NG+ file that got corrupted because I started playing with a patch 1.1 save. I had to revert back the vanilla disc to continue, and then had to go back to 1.2 to trigger progression events.

I had a level 50 NG+ file with about 40 hours of grinding. I was going for the Plat, and had to just delete my cloud/local saves to fresh install. Thankfully I still have my trophies on PSN, but the last 3 days was wasted.

Start over now. It's not worth it in the long run. You don't know how it'll effect the future DLC content. I'm going to replay in a few patches once the game is stable. Not touching this again for a while.

Ooof. This is a pretty bad bug, lol. I'll start a fresh everything when I get home today. Such a shame this happened ;(

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

It's one of the best. It's got more than a few bugs but the gameplay and level design are top notch.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
So I was talking to some friends playing on normal and it sounds like a different experience. They said they just smacked the first boss till it died, didn't even notice it's attack patterns. On hard two hits killed me, I had to dodge every single attack, learn every tell. There was an unavoidable water attack where you have to hide behind enemies she spawns to avoid being killed, they didn't even see this. So I am saying the bosses are crazy, they say the bosses are boring.

Also the game is like a RE game to me, I am desperately looking for the next save room or losing my progress. So many times I am in a panic because one hit would kill me and I am out of health and have no clue where the next save room is. It's frustrating but so rewarding to get past it.

I am moving at a snail pace but the game is thrilling this way.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a new message went out to the Bloodstained Discord today that seemingly ignores the update that was given last night:

Regarding the chest bug that is blocking some people:

Currently there is a bug that occurs on consoles when a player begins a game and then downloads the 1.02 update. The bug puts chests into the incorrect open/close state. As a result, some items that are required for progress are unobtainable.

On PS4, 1.02 is already live, so we recommend restarting your game if you are seeing this issue. We do not know if/when an update will be available to fix the issue and retain save settings.

The 1.02 update is not live YET on Xbox One. We are investigating whether we can work out a fix for Xbox to prevent the issue from repeating. Once we know whether a fix is incoming or not, we will let everyone know. We will let everyone know what is up before the 1.02 update goes live.

Multiple Xbox players (and PS4 players who are already past the critical item crates) have asked what happens if they complete the game. Good news. If you complete the game you can convert that save to New Game + or make a new save and you'll be good to go. Just make sure you convert AFTER downloading 1.02.

We will update this thread when we have more info. We apologize for the error.

Apr 19, 2018
I got to the very end of the game and then updated to patch 1.02. Wow the graphics are way different. I like both tbh but the performance took a hit with 1.02.

That's intriguing. So by 'way different', the graphics get a significant upgrade, but at the expense of worse performance?

Wonder if Digital Foundry is going to take a stab at analyzing this one?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

2. How long is the game?

1. Yes, yes, and yes. Three yeses because there's been three DS vanias. :p

2. Took me around 20 hours to beat it, but I went for 100% completion with the map, quests, and shard drops. I'd say minimum 10 hours on a new playthrough if you're keen on where to go at all times, but probably 15 for the average player not worried about filling out the map much with the occasional moment of figuring out where to go and what to do.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Stuck on 99.60% map here myself, no idea what i've missed. Does the final boss room count towards the map as it's not uncovered but when you enter it, it starts the final boss.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Stuck on 99.60% map here myself, no idea what i've missed. Does the final boss room count towards the map as it's not uncovered but when you enter it, it starts the final boss.

My guess is you're missing probably a breakable room. Have you compared your map to the fully completed one circulating the internet as a guide? I can share it if you need it; I believe it also points out all breakable rooms.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Just beat

Zangetsu

Neat fight. The battles against humanoid opponents in CV games were always my favorite, so it was nice seeing a reasonably difficult one so early on. Didn't even have to cheese them with the gun, just straight up pattern recognition.

How does the Switch version run/look?
Docked looks okay, though a bit pixelated. I've encountered a few hitches in performance (freezing for a second or two) at seemingly random intervals and some framedrops in the opening area cutscenes, but I do want to stress that I'm playing the unpatched version. Handheld looks admittedly rough, but the game's artstyle honestly kind of carries things. It reminds me a bit of the PSP Rondo of Blood remake, only much more nicer looking.

All in all, for being the pre-Day 1 patch version, I'm not totally appalled at the performance and am having fun.