• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Thanks for the impressions! I wonder if it's any better on an X. Can't imagine the noclipping would be but maybe stuttering. Maybe not. I guess I'll wait for Digital Foundry or something!
FWIW it seems like it could be fixed in a patch because it looks pretty good otherwise, the noclipping I've heard complaints about from quite a few people on PC too.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I really appreciate in this game is how the RNG seems way less annoying than in the Sorrow games or Ecclesia, you get a lot of shards to experiment with even without grinding.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Whew baby this game is fun!

I put in some solid time last night and am sitting around 12.5% map

Gonna take my time for sure! What I really love is the sheer variety of spells, equipment, items etc

And damn near everything is valuable for SOMETHING. Don't throw or dismantle stuff willy nilly! Then again the crafting system is so robust you could almost recover anything you lost

Its super easy to get lost in the gameplay loops! IGA you mad man you did it!

Really? Other people have been reporting that.
I haven't even tried yet!

So far I've been using:
True Arrow directional shard => when it's level 4 or higher it does insane immediate damage at close range, really powerful and useful
Pillar of fire red shard => can't remember proper name, drops from the demon cat. It's incredibly powerful, I just throw it once and I clear entire rooms... Need to level it up a bit though, it requires lots of rubies.

Yeah True Arrow is insanely powerful for how early you get it and how easy it is to upgrade

I also really love the Painting Shield! Probably one of the best defensive spells in the game early on.

Im still struggling to find a weapon to main but I just got the Spinner Knight Greatsword and dear god.... Pair that bad boy with critical ring and enjoy easy mode

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Use the chair mimic at the waterfall in underground waterway. Jump off right when it takes you to a cliff with a green chest, enter the cave there to get the recipes for curry. Can farm Ordogs for curry powder.

I have the recipe for Beef Curry, I just can't find or have the recipe for the curry sauce needed to create it.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Really? Other people have been reporting that.
I haven't even tried yet!

So far I've been using:
True Arrow directional shard => when it's level 4 or higher it does insane immediate damage at close range, really powerful and useful
Pillar of fire red shard => can't remember proper name, drops from the demon cat. It's incredibly powerful, I just throw it once and I clear entire rooms... Need to level it up a bit though, it requires lots of rubies.

Yeah Riga Storaema, it's the best summon spell in the game. Dose insane damage. I replaced True Arrow with Flying Daggers It's like True Arrow, but it hits faster and 5 times for more damage.

And with Words of Wisdom passive it cuts casting costs in half. Then if you want you can cut them in half again with Warlock necklace, never have to stop casting.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Riga Storaema, it's the best summon spell in the game. Dose insane damage. I replaced True Arrow with Flying Daggers It's like True Arrow, but it hits faster and 5 times for more damage.

Ill be on the lookout for it! True arrow does quickly upgrade to 4 arrows (mine is at lvl 6-7ish) so it could stay competitive for a long time

I wonder if he will balance patch this over time. I suppose the game is significantly harder in the upper difficulties so figuring out what spells work best is likely a good thing

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone received the Switch version early? I'm curious to try the 1.0 version on cart to see how future proof it is. Only thing I saw on it so far was a Twitch stream and it seemed OK, low res aside.

Also, any fellow Canadian backers here got their tracking # on like Tuesday yet only the label was created and nothing moved since? I know the game releases on the 25th, but it just surprises me to see a company creating labels like 10 days in advance, never saw that before.

(EDIT: NVM the latter part of my post, it's now in transit finally!)

Last edited:

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
It runs incredibly well on PC, I'm using DSR 4x with a 1060 and it barely drops any frames at all. There are I games I have that are a decade old that run much worse.

Is hard a big jump up from normal? I'm really bad at games, but at the same time I don't like when they lack challenge. I played for about and hour and a half and I'm thinking of restarting.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Ill be on the lookout for it! True arrow does quickly upgrade to 4 arrows (mine is at lvl 6-7ish) so it could stay competitive for a long time

I wonder if he will balance patch this over time. I suppose the game is significantly harder in the upper difficulties so figuring out what spells work best is likely a good thing

Get the shard from the assassins in the train station.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I love how you get a single 8-bit coin and so many weapons to choose from

None of which seem overpowered.... I went with Dawn Sword and.... its ok

I vastly prefer this Spiked Knight spinner sword I have. OMG its amazing

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PC seemed to have an update last night, is this the dreaded game-breaking patch everyone's been talking about? Hope not, since I was at 60% map completion...

leesmapman

Oct 27, 2017
N52.160114 E4.497010
After the 2nd boss fight, I found a guy in a room and gave him a teleport stone. I don't know where he is now, I see a "villagers marker" in the original room still, though. Has anyone gotten this too?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
After the 2nd boss fight, I found a guy in a room and gave him a teleport stone. I don't know where he is now, I see a "villagers marker" in the original room still, though. Has anyone gotten this too?

You get a 1k reward immediately after so I think its just an optional sidequest and not a permanent addition to the town

At least not that I have seen. I have no idea where his house is

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
And with Words of Wisdom passive it cuts casting costs in half.
I obtained Words of Wisdom only recently and maaaan I love it so much <3

I noticed that Johannes can craft "combined" Shards. Not sure how to describe it. He requirs a basic shard and then some mats, the result is an unique shard with a different name.
Noticed he offers to do that for, among others, Riga Storaema as well. But I have only one of those so I didn't want to waste it.
Anybody tried this "upgraded" shards already?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I hope future patches address some of the insane power of various spells and weapons

Or at least not allow them to hit those heights without hitting appropriate upgrade tiers and matching stats

Super fun game but I can already see people steamrolling with little effort even in the upper difficulties lol

Im glad they had fun making such a varying degree of content and tools for the player though! Its been a blast experimenting

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm stuck

I got double jump and killed the tower boss

Not sure where to go next.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
So because of the PS4 chest glitch I decided to just up and start over, this time I used the NIGHTMARE code to unlock hard mode right off the bat. Must say, the game is much more satisfying and enjoyable to play on hard mode. I actually have to learn the bosses movesets, when before on my normal mode playthrough I kinda just tanked through each boss with zero issues. Pretty happy I made that decision. And since I already did a big chunk it was pretty quick to catch up anyway since I could skip cutscenes and knew exactly where to go.

I'm stuck

Did you open the chest after the tower boss and get the key item to take your photo? If so think about a character that isn't in town you might be able to take your photo to. Someone who could maybe make an ID for you.

Last edited:

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
Super fun game but I can already see people steamrolling with little effort even in the upper difficulties lol
While I understand your concern, I don't see why that should be "patched".
Tell me an Igavania that wasn't like that, minus maybe Order of Ecclesia, maybe...
I mean this is an Igavania, not a Miyazaki game.
It's fine if there are ways (especially on normal difficulties) to steamroll the game. Not like you HAVE to use them, it's your choice if you want to.
If you think that ruins the fun for you, just don't use those combinations?

It seems to me that some people demand games being unaccessible because they long for that feeling of uniqueness, like "I'm so good I completed this game, you're thrash and don't deserve to stand where I'm standing".
Sort of the same feelings you had in old arcades when you could input your name in the hall of fame?

I don't want to sound too judgeamental of these feelings, I just wanted to say that they don't really belong in Igavania so I don't see why Bloodstained should be the exception here.
Just my 2 cents :x I apologize if I misunderstood your post.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
He screws up and teleports somewhere else. I found him there (I think it was at the giant waterfall), gave him a second teleport stone and he is still not at the village. I have not found his third place yet (and I presume there will be more after that). I guess it's somewhere I already explored and thus did not go there again naturally.

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any trophies or unlockable stuff tied to beating the game on Hard/Nightmare?

I'm debating whether I should restart my game due to some red chests being open already and just starting on hard. If I use the code to unlock the other difficulties, does that prevent you from unlocking trophies/other stuff?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Tell me an Igavania that wasn't like that, minus maybe Order of Ecclesia, maybe...
It's fine if there are ways (especially on normal difficulties) to steamroll the game. Not like you HAVE to use them, it's your choice if you want to.

It seems to me that some people demand games being unaccessible because they long for that feeling of uniqueness, like "I'm so good I completed this game, you're thrash and don't deserve to stand where I'm standing".
Sort of the same feelings you had in old arcades when you could input your name in the hall of fame?

I don't want to sound too judgeamental of these feelings, I just wanted to say that they don't really belong in Igavania so I don't see why Bloodstained should be the exception here.

I mean i was talking more about smoothing the flow of upgrading your character as well as offering more reward and incentive to use the upgrade system

Power seems distributed all over the place. However I agree with ya that the fun factor should outweigh the balance and its sounds like Hard/Nightmare mode still offer quite a challenge even if you deck out with powerful spells

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I'm stuck

First location of where you need to go, if my memory serves well:
Below the tower, there is a passage way you first visited in CotM, you will need to depart from there
However, there are requirements to achieve your goal at the end of this location
It has a link with what you found home, in the far west
precision
I mean to the far left of where you buy your wares
precision
you need your photo taken
precision
you need your photo taken to create an ID card
precision
you need your photo taken to have the librarian drac' create an ID card for you

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019

Ye I don't understand the need to make everything balanced. Half the fun of these games is finding those broken combos and feeling powerful, and for those who don't want to steamroll there are other options.

Leave balance for competitive games, let me feel like a god in my single player/co-op games.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
Ye I don't understand the need to make everything balanced. Half the fun of these games is finding those broken combos and feeling powerful, and for those who don't want to steamroll there are other options.

Leave balance for competitive games, let me feel like a god in my single player/co-op games.
Exactely my feelings.
Plus in all honesty with the amount of options you have here, it would be incredibly hard to make them all possible combinations evenly balanced.

Now if ALL games were like this we could have some serious concerns to worry about, but since it's not the case I truly see no reason to.
Just like you said, half of the fun is exactely in the experimentation of combinations, in the power grind that makes you feel powerful, especially when you go back and you kill with a finger monsters that previously made you struggle.
THAT feeling is truly truly rewarding, at least for me.

It's stuff like this, all this RPG-like aspects, that were completely lacking in most other metroidvania that came out over the last years.
And let me tell you there have been quite some masterpiece out there, like Hollow Knight and Dead Cells for instance.
But all these aspects were completely lacking in those games, so if THESE are the feelings you were looking for, it's easy to understand why so many people were still looking for yet another Igavania game, after all these years.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Honestly I hope future patches address some of the insane power of various spells and weapons

Or at least not allow them to hit those heights without hitting appropriate upgrade tiers and matching stats

Im glad they had fun making such a varying degree of content and tools for the player though! Its been a blast experimenting

I never really understood the whole steamrolling thing as a negative. That is 100% up to the player to figure out and abuse. Unless it's something super brainless where you do literally nothing on higher difficulties I don't see this as a problem.

This isn't exactly similar but it reminds me of how people talk about FFVIII being broken due to being able to manipulate Triple Triad and Summon abilities in unintended ways early on in the game as a huge knock on the game. Something I highly doubt even 5% of players knew about, especially in a first playthrough. On top of that, you could just... not do it even if you knew lol.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Seems the chest bug got me even though I was past the known problem on the Towers. At 99.5% and was going around completing lists and there are green chests that are open meaning that I can't get recipe books.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Has anyone figured out how the Backer Credits are accessed in the game? Is it some secret room with a bookshelf of names you can read. OR are they actually in the post-game credits and no where else in the game.

I am hoping the Backer Credits would be accessible from the main menu.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I never really understood the whole steamrolling thing as a negative. That is 100% up to the player to figure out and abuse. Unless it's something super brainless where you do literally nothing on higher difficulties I don't see this as a problem.

This isn't exactly similar but it reminds me of how people talk about FFVIII being broken due to being able to manipulate Triple Triad and Summon abilities in unintended ways early on in the game as a huge knock on the game. Something I highly doubt even 5% of players knew about, especially in a first playthrough. On top of that, you could just... not do it even if you knew lol.

Ok ok guys

I got it. Unpopular opinion

I was just pointing out that the power creep jumps up kind of crazy really early on but I backpedaled in subsequent responses

Just felt that the power curve could be smoother and give more focus to ingame mechanics like upgrades and stat distribution through levels ups and equipment

Nothing more!

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not sure why people say that music is meh, the music in that garden and forbidden passage is fucking sublime.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Usually I impose a self-inflicted "Classicvania" requirement to all Castlevania (and I consider this one to be a 'vania too) games: no healing items in boss fights. Can't tank when you ain't got the heals. I got lucky tho. I didn't stick with using the Swordwhip because it does less damage than the Bandit Blade, so could you tell me what's so broken about it? :p
It can hit multiple times per swing and you can spam it in the air and while crouching (but not standing, for some reason). You can do a lot of damage very quickly with the thing.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
not sure why people say that music is meh, the music in that garden and forbidden passage is fucking sublime.
Because it's hard to be "objective" when it comes to music, even more so than for other aspects, and because SotN is an idolized game with an idolized OST.
It's a lost match to begin with.
Time will tell if Bloodstained's OST will remain in the players' memory as much as SotN, but for now I can already say there's several really powerful tracks, highly reminiscent of Yamane's past works in the Castlevania series. VERY reminiscing in some situations, almost seems made on purpose lol.

Personally I can't deny I'm emotionally biased towards SotN because of my beautiful teen memories with SotN, but if I try to turn off that emotion button for a second, then probably Curse of Darkness had an even better OST, if you ask me. Yet nobody talks about it because CoD wasn't even remotely as big of a success as SotN. (which is a shame, game had an infinite list of problems, but overall it was a truly fun game).
Way too early to lay a judgement on Bloodstained, really. But I share your feeling in saying that so far it seems to be really good.

Speaking of which: WHERE IS MY KICKSTARTER BACKER OST, IGA?! :-P :-P :-P

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know from what and where you get Alchemic Bounty?

Edit: Nevernind, here's where you get it:
Enemy: Zagan
Where: Tower Of The Twin Dragons, Hidden Desert and Underground Sorcery Lab

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
I agree. I'm very critical of Yamane and I was really prepared for the worst, but it's good. Better than Ecclesia for sure.
While I absolutely agree, I seem to recall Yamane had quite a secondary role in OoE's OST? As in: she only composed a few tracks? In other IGA games she did the main job and composed most (all!) of the tracks and decided the general "music direction" of the game.
I don't seem to recall that being the case for OoE

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched Sterling's impressions and it seems really, really great. I just preordered the Switch version should be here Tuesday :)

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
So, the Switch version has a game breaking bug? GODDAMNIT!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...me-breaking_bug_advice_given_to_switch_owners

Edit: Looks like it's getting a patch.

The Switch version does not have a game-breaking bug that the patch will fix.
*All* versions (console, anyway) have the issue where if you start playing before the 1.02 patch and then patch, then it's possible (and common) for the patch to CAUSE the bug.

The advice is to not play until 1.02 (or be willing to start over.)

[Ed] sounds like it only affects physical copies for Switch as Digital will ship on 1.02

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
*All* versions (console, anyway) have the issue where if you start playing before the 1.02 patch and then patch, then it's possible (and common) for the patch to CAUSE the bug.

Okay. I won't play it until the patch. I woke up this morning, saw NL's story and got pissed.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

[Ed] sounds like it only affects physical copies for Switch as Digital will ship on 1.02
If you play past the point where you get the item, then you can update.