• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Yamane was lead composer. I'm not sure how many tracks Ippo Yamada did - the volcano music is his song, and seeing as he was involved from when Inti was developer, this may be his only song for the game - and Jake Kaufman did all of the 8-bit tracks.

The boss themes are banger tho. Curse of Darkness tier for me, and that's the best OST she's done as far as I'm concerned.
I tend to not like a lot of the boss themes in Castlevanias, but I definitely enjoyed some of them here. Both LoI and CoD had fantastic soundtracks.

Overall, I've really enjoyed the music (Voyage of Promise, Luxurious Overture, the village theme, the music from the library, the Garden of Silence music, Zangetsu's theme, and even Dominique's theme), so it'll be interesting to see how much weaker the music gets later in the game, I guess. It's not my favorite OST she has worked on, but it's probably in the upper-middle of the rankings.

Last edited:

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
When I try to equip Bloodbringer I get a beep and can't equip it. I could equip it earlier in the game. Anyone know why?
You can't equip Bloodbrigner if you're using the respective familiar Shard. Use a different Familiar.
It's like the Sword Familiar in SotN, same deal.
Also as the familiar levels up, the base damage on the sword levels up as well.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I am loving the hell out of this game, but good God is it buggy on PC. I've had 2 crashes so far, the first made me lose about 20 minutes, the latest one probably about 40 minutes (had just finished climbing
twin dragon tower
for the first time and was desperately looking for a save room when it gave me a UE4 fatal error 😭

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Usually I impose a self-inflicted "Classicvania" requirement to all Castlevania (and I consider this one to be a 'vania too) games: no healing items in boss fights. Can't tank when you ain't got the heals. I got lucky tho. I didn't stick with using the Swordwhip because it does less damage than the Bandit Blade, so could you tell me what's so broken about it? :p

Also does anyone have a 100% map completion map yet? I'm at 99.60% so I'm assuming at most I'm missing at max eight or fewer rooms. Also still have no idea where the Meat Dish/R is, and how many Shortcut shards should you be ending on? I have a feeling that if the PC version was affected by the "open chest" bug, it was literally just for this one key item, if it's not in a hidden room I missed somehow.

Finally my overall impressions of the game. I do like it, a lot in fact, but my nostalgia to my favorite series probably clouded a good deal of that. This came up most in bosses, as the ones I liked the most had very, very, very clear Castlevania connections. The newer bosses didn't excite me, and I'm attributing that to them not having an interesting enough fight and not a lot of background to "build" them. And for those that share the scene and appeared in Curse of the Moon, aside from one or two, I think they're all done better in that game than this one.

Quick tl;dr on my thoughts.

Pros
- Very well paced; the game doesn't have many fluff moments that speak for "increasing volume" or ways of milking time out of the game, and this is HUGE because many of IGA's previous games almost always had this sneak up on them due to time and budget reasons. Dracula's Castle in Curse of Darkness or the second half of Portrait of Ruin are clear examples of this going wrong for me, but I didn't see it here.

- Good variety; Maybe two or so locations seem similar but that's because they're supposed to be similar, the rest feel distinct, have a place, and don't feel like holdover areas.

- Great OST and fanservice; if you are a Castlevania fan in any way, there are at least three bosses that should make your face beam up brightly, even if they kick your shit in. For PS4/Xbone users, you don't have the IGA DLC yet, but I will say it's one of the best examples of this, and one of the best fights in the whole game. What you'd expect from IGA and his legacy is actually played into with this fight, and it's amazing for it.

Cons
- A FEW parts it's not made clear where to go; once Dominique stops giving you clues which filter you to an area, the training wheels come off and it expects you to remember one notable location to use an ability and then to actually just explore with the other to piece out what to do next, and the latter of which isn't too clear. I've seen a lot of people on the Bloodstained Discord get lost in regards to this, seeing as the "aha" of it clicking isn't made clear to people.

- Swimming is made tedious; out of the gate this might be the worst swimming in any Castlevania-ish game that allows you to swim. The fact you need to grind to actually move decently underwater seems like it's leaning so deeply into the upgrading shard feature.

- Endgame feels "light"; a bit of the momentum drops near the end because it's right at the end where it feels like the game was unsure what it should do with enemy and level design, so it falls a little bit back into that habit of feeling like it was made without all the time it needed to flesh it out as a climax. I'm talking the level design and general enemy placement, not the bosses, however.

- The game should have some form of marker if an item you can craft is also purchasable from the shop, as many items only appear in the shop if you make them. Having a drop of an item would let you see you have one of it while crafting, but because the game makes no distinction between crafted and collected, you'll have to go back and forth between rooms to double check. This gets quite annoying when it comes to food making.

- Quests are very lame; easily the worst part of this that I thought would be greatly improved over Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. To my amazement, it's actually the worst quest system I've ever seen from IGA. PoR had some silly quests but they were like "find a bleeding statue" and the upgrades were pretty unique, and OoE had all of the townspeople who had interesting characteristics and a stronger motivation for why you were doing the things you were doing, like taking pictures of elusive monsters or playing hide and seek. Nearly all of the quests here are, to be perfectly honest about it, trash. They feel more like they belong in a mobile or MMO game. They're literally one idea just repeated until it's over for quests from that character, and it never gets any more involved than "give me food" or "kill X baddie". I am honestly shocked that what I thought were placeholder quests in the beta backer build were actually designed as the goal for the quests of the game. They spoke even then to being an undercooked "sample" of what may come, but nothing ever came of it. The fact I'm writing the most about this is because this is the worst part about the game. A handful of rewards are worth it, but they're at the tail end of the quests you can be given. Usually rewards you get while playing normally are almost instantly outclassed by anything you find by exploring. None of them have any quirks that make it even experimental to mess with. Just worry about the last two weapons the kill X lady wants to give you and that's it.

Overall, I really like it. Feels like a game IGA should have made after Order of Ecclesia, and regarding "full-scale" games that weren't downloadables, this really is that game. And I mean that with great praise and appreciation.
I found the Meat Dish/R yesterday...
I think it may have been in the forbidden whatever area, near to when you return from the fire area after getting the gravity flip skill. Sorry I'm blanking on all the names now. I hope it was there, I found so many hing yesterday it's hard to remember.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Don't get all the love for the spiral sword honestly, in the time it takes to complete its multihit animation you could just strike 3 times with a long sword

Edit: retract a bit, realized you don't have to let the animation play out and the greatsword passive further increases the speed

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
When I try to equip Bloodbringer I get a beep and can't equip it. I could equip it earlier in the game. Anyone know why?
You can't equip Bloodbrigner if you're using the respective familiar Shard. Use a different Familiar.
It's like the Sword Familiar in SotN, same deal.
Also as the familiar levels up, the base damage on the sword levels up as well.
However, if you assign Bloodbringer to your favorites, you can use it as a familiar and as a weapon simultaneously.

Sidebar: I just unlocked SoulBlood Steal but I can't get it to work on any enemies. I assume that it only works on specific enemy types unlike the move it's obviously inspired by?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Don't get all the love for the spiral sword honestly, in the time it takes to complete its multihit animation you could just strike 3 times with a long sword

Or just casually walk forward with Flying Dagger, Riga Storaema and Will of Wisdom and Warlock necklace to cut casting in half twice. I never have to stop casting and those spells do broken damage. I've yet to see what the bosses do because they die a second after they spawn.

Flying Dagger does 90 damage per dagger and it fires 5 really fast in a straight line. Riga Storaema does 5 columns each doing 80 damage every .5 seconds for each column they are standing in for 3 seconds, large bosses get destroyed by it.

Last edited:

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
However, if you assign Bloodbringer to your favorites, you can use it as a familiar and as a weapon simultaneously.

Sidebar: I just unlocked SoulBlood Steal but I can't get it to work on any enemies. I assume that it only works on specific enemy types unlike the move it's obviously inspired by?
I think it only works if you draw blood from an enemy. So look for blood stains in the background/on the floor.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I found the Meat Dish/R yesterday...
I think it may have been in the forbidden whatever area, near to when you return from the fire area after getting the gravity flip skill. Sorry I'm blanking on all the names now. I hope it was there, I found so many hing yesterday it's hard to remember.

I did not find it there. :(

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
I do get it, as a matter of fact I've been mostly u sing Spiral Sword until a while ago. Swapped because I want to level up the Gsword technique and I can't use it with default Spiral Sword.
I think it's 4 hits btw, not 3.
Low damage ok but it works well in conjunction with crit boosting stuff.

Also it has a longer ranger and hit zone than a typical 1h sword. Slow, but love it, and it looks cool!
Too bad for the damage.

Wonder if there are higher level versions of that sword.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I'm nearing the end of the game and yeah, my only real gripe with the game is that they should have delayed the game for a few months to iron out the technical issues. Aside from the chest glitch, the game stutters way too much on PS4 and the recent patch really didn't do much on this front.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hard has been fun. Glad I started there instead of normal. The first boss was a bit of a pain, not because of the difficulties but because I had trouble reading its hitbox and keeping up with what's happening with my character as well as the various effects in the foreground and background. That could've definitely been done better.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so I can confirm that New Game+ also allows for transferring a character into Nightmare mode, after they beat Hard mode.
Of course, you're locked into experience level 1, but you get to keep all your shards and other stuff.

This'll be nice for testing out various builds. I've been using shuriken on everything, so it'll be fun to branch out.

Still missing .2% of the castle though, and I haven't figured out how to get the damn spaghetti...

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a lot of metroidvania style games. The only Castlevania I played was on the GBA iirc. Is this game beginner friendly? does it ride a lot on nostalgia? Also how are the map mechanics? Cause I absolutely hated that part in Hollow Knight, which made me drop the game

Really interested in this game, just not sure if it's something for me

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a lot of metroidvania style games. The only Castlevania I played was on the GBA iirc. Is this game beginner friendly? does it ride a lot on nostalgia? Also how are the map mechanics? Cause I absolutely hated that part in Hollow Knight, which made me drop the game

This game is definitely beginner friendly I would say. Also the map builds in real time as you progress and at times you get a map item that shows what needs to be unveiled.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

It's definitely still enjoyable without the nostalgia factor. If you played the action adventure Castlevanias rather than the platformer on GBA, this will be like the former. This game has auto map, so you will know at all times where you are in a room as well as its place in the wider zone.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Performance issues aside (im not alone on this) it has lots of the QOLs of modern games but still the same old flavor, you have a map from the start and you unlock it by either visiting everything or finding a map of the area

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've seen a lot of this game by now and I like most of what I see - besides the art style for the characters and the lore setup.

This all looks so ridiculous. I feel like he should have went with something religious as a backdrop, maybe something well known like a werewolf instead of a vampire - and the design for the mc looks very modern anime instead of gothic like Order of Ecclesia for example.

Sadly not for me. But good that they made a really solid Kickstarter and Konamis legacy lives on in this.

Oct 2, 2018
FUCKKKK. just got through the first of the dragon tower and was near the save game point and the game crashed. :O

this hard run is actually much easier as I have a powered up head flail and 4 of the flying helmet medusa-ey familiars.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
I'm nearing the end of the game and yeah, my only real gripe with the game is that they should have delayed the game for a few months to iron out the technical issues. Aside from the chest glitch, the game stutters way too much on PS4 and the recent patch really didn't do much on this front.
Works pretty fine on PC with max settings, and my PC is 8 years old.
Not sure about regular PS4 and only tried on PS4 pro for a few mins, which doesn't really say much, but it looked fine.

The only bug I noticed on PC is that sometimes a bag (item) dropped by an enemy killed while he's close to the celing, gets stuck to the celing itself and you cannot collect it.
Happened a few times to me.

Not like SotN didn't have its good share of bugs and problems, didn't stop it from becoming a legend.
Yes I know, different times, blah blah, but still while I can acknowledge Bloodstained having some really minor issue, we're not talking about the sort of issue that deserve delaying a couple of months the release of the game.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The only bug I noticed on PC is that sometimes a bag (item) dropped by an enemy killed while he's close to the celing, gets stuck to the celing itself and you cannot collect it.
Just an FYI, but if you stand next to one of the loot bags that you cannot reach for whatever reason, it should automatically be collected after a while if you wait.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
Just an FYI, but if you stand next to one of the loot bags that you cannot reach for whatever reason, it should automatically be collected after a while if you wait.
I guess that's feasible when it's on a side wall, not really when it's on the ceiling xD
Unless... you meant the shard that allows you to reverse gravity? I don't have that yet.

Oct 2, 2018
I never played the IGA games on Hard back in the day, but Hard mode seems wayyyyyy more difficult than Normal. Enemies do so much damage. Am I supposed to farm like crazy, or am I supposed to tackle Hard on NG+ with better gear?

I farmed it til i was level 14 (super easy, find the medusa head room) from the boat and the only thing that was hard was the 2nd boss but i stuffed her face with pizzas and once I beat him, everything's been super easy. I restarted on hard and its actually easier this time round

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is definitely beginner friendly I would say. Also the map builds in real time as you progress and at times you get a map item that shows what needs to be unveiled.
It's definitely still enjoyable without the nostalgia factor. If you played the action adventure Castlevanias rather than the platformer on GBA, this will be like the former. This game has auto map, so you will know at all times where you are in a room as well as its place in the wider zone.
Performance issues aside (im not alone on this) it has lots of the QOLs of modern games but still the same old flavor, you have a map from the start and you unlock it by either visiting everything or finding a map of the area

Thanks a lot. Sounds good, especially the map stuff

mcwizardry

Oct 25, 2017
The map could use some improvements like starting centered on the player's position and somewhat zoomed in. Marking NPCs / shopkeepers would also be useful.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
The map could use some improvements like starting centered on the player's position and somewhat zoomed in. Marking NPCs / shopkeepers would also be useful.
THIS! So much.
Also have an option that automatically overwrites your one save instead of always asking you "do you want to save?" Yes / no, then let you pick the slot and "Do you want to overwrite?" Yes /no.
Just have an option to make save literally a 1sec option.

mcwizardry

Oct 25, 2017
THIS! So much.
Also have an option that automatically overwrites your one save instead of always asking you "do you want to save?" Yes / no, then let you pick the slot and "Do you want to overwrite?" Yes /no.
Just have an option to make save literally a 1sec option.
Exactly, the save room should ideally not throw up a prompt at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm trying to decide if I should restart my game. I got up to the part where you get the silver bromide and the chest was fine. But when I returned to the entrance area, there was an uncovered section of map that had an opened red chest that I never opened before. Now I'm wondering what other chests down the line will be open.

Shinjica

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm nearly the ending of the game and apart from a couple of bosses, the other are really boring and unispired.

The rest of the game is superb

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
I'm nearly the ending of the game and apart from a couple of bosses, the other are really boring and unispired.

The rest of the game is superb
Truly? So far I fought:

First boss on the boat, nice one.
Zangetsu => tough and nice
Blood demon => so tough, had to re-do it so many times. Guess I was using a wrong combination of shards/weapons. Regardless, really cool fight
Double Dragons => very very cool fight, quite original
Single Dragon => was this even a proper boss fight? I mean I loved the model but it was over so quick...
Flying guy => not bad, but a bit bland and very easy
Mechanical Hand => Sorta like the one above, but better, I even died once. Bland but also sorta cool.

Not sure if all the other bosses suck but so far I can't complain at all.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Works pretty fine on PC with max settings, and my PC is 8 years old.
Not sure about regular PS4 and only tried on PS4 pro for a few mins, which doesn't really say much, but it looked fine.

Not like SotN didn't have its good share of bugs and problems, didn't stop it from becoming a legend.
Yes I know, different times, blah blah, but still while I can acknowledge Bloodstained having some really minor issue, we're not talking about the sort of issue that deserve delaying a couple of months the release of the game.
The game something freezes for like 1 or 2 seconds when you kill some enemies on PS4 (kinda like in Breath of the Wild on the Wii U) and the framerate is really inconsistent, it really chugs in some rooms. I agree it doesn't detract too much from the game's quality (it might be my goty so far) but still, it's unfortunate and I'd have rather waited for a short while longer.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, lovely. My first crash. Game ran really well on 1.01 but now we're on 1.02 it just keeps stuttering and then, finally, crashed on me. Had only been on it for 20 minutes so far as well. (PAL PS4 Pro)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Any articles/videos on performance yet? I'm torn between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I'd prefer PS4 because d-pad but willing to buy on Xbox if it performs/looks any better.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I'm at 99.80 map completion with only bestiary entry #97 missing. The enemy is either in
The Den of Behemoths or The Ice Cavern
. Can anyone help?

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019

Ye I was looking to double dip with PS4 and Switch, but playing through on PS4 doesn't leave me too hopeful for the Switch performance so far.

Any articles/videos on performance yet? I'm torn between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I'd prefer PS4 because d-pad but willing to buy on Xbox if it performs/looks any better.

I'm on Pro and there is frequent stuttering when transitioning screens/opening chests/getting shards. Also noticed a lot of noclipping through enemies. Not severe enough to ruin the game, but very noticeable.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on Pro and there is frequent stuttering when transitioning screens/opening chests/getting shards. Also noticed a lot of noclipping through enemies. Not severe enough to ruin the game, but very noticeable.

Thanks for the impressions! I wonder if it's any better on an X. Can't imagine the noclipping would be but maybe stuttering. Maybe not. I guess I'll wait for Digital Foundry or something!

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
Is it me or summon Poltergeist feels really OP?
Really? Other people have been reporting that.
I haven't even tried yet!

So far I've been using:
True Arrow directional shard => when it's level 4 or higher it does insane immediate damage at close range, really powerful and useful
Pillar of fire red shard => can't remember proper name, drops from the demon cat. It's incredibly powerful, I just throw it once and I clear entire rooms... Need to level it up a bit though, it requires lots of rubies.