• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so here's my understanding of the "chest bug"

If you played the game on patch 1.01 or earlier and patched the game up to 1.02 there's a chance that at least one plot relevant item chest will be open and you will be unable to obtain the item and progress the story.
The Silver Bromide, though there may be another plot coupon in a chest, I haven't gotten that far in the game yet.

A couple ways to determine if you are affected:
* Some previously open chests are closed again (check the 8-bit coin chest near the town as a good indicator)
* Some previously closed chests are open (check areas you can't reach yet as decent examples)
* HP/MP/Capacity ups seem to have respawned.

If you are affected you have some options. I can't confirm how effective they are but I'm just gathering info:

1) Restart the game. This seems to be the most reliable workaround but obviously at the cost of all current progress.

2) If you have a physical version (don't know if the downloadable version applies here), back up your save(s), uninstall the game, and reinstall from the disk, then turn off patching in your console. You may be able to progress normally here. I don't know if new saves work on the old version but I'll be trying this if I get hosed.

3) Wait for a fix. This is a coin toss. The devs know about the problem but it might be one of those things that trying to fix just causes a truckload of new problems. Depending on your patience this is the lowest effort option.

As far as I know ONLY PS4/Xbox One versions of the game have this problem and only going from launch patch to 1.02. PC/Steam/GOG versions all started on patch 1.03(?) and are thus unaffected.

I'll edit this post if any info is wrong or we get some updates.
Quoted for new page. Threadmark would be good Dancrane212

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Easily bridged by optimization. And it's not like this is a very graphic intensive title either. Killzone Mercenary seems to have way more complex assets than this game.
Killzone Mercenary, I feel, has something like OG Xbox-level assets with modern lighting and shaders doing a lot to make the game look great.

Last edited:

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is dumb. How can Sony be this slow. Everyone else got their codes. Everyone else got the game. I guess if it's not coming today I'll push this on the backlog. Judgment, smm2 and ShB are out very soon followed closely by dqb2.

Apr 19, 2018
Thanks for the difficulty mode confirmation, guys!

I'll edit this post if any info is wrong or we get some updates.

Good breakdown. I inquired before, but if I'm starting the PS4 version tonight, fresh disc install and all, will I be good to play the game installing the currently-available patches too? Or should I just choose to install the base game without patches?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having a hard time with [boss spoilers]

master carpenter because he summons in bad boys and I ain't got room

Blegh.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeea. The enemies in that area are some bs. Getting to him unscathed is a pita.

They're easy for me because I just spam Teps Oceus. This shit is fuckin' broken when you upgrade it even a little. I've used RT more than the Square button for the last half of this game, and I ain't kidding.

Doesn't work well on bosses because the multiple attacks barely fire in the same place though.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

Good breakdown. I inquired before, but if I'm starting the PS4 version tonight, fresh disc install and all, will I be good to play the game installing the currently-available patches too? Or should I just choose to install the base game without patches?
If you are starting patched up to 1.02 you should be fine, as far as we know.

The title screen or main menu has the ver number in the bottom corner so you can double check before starting.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Spent 4 hours playing last night and I love it. Its everything I was hoping it would be. I'm on PS4 Pro, having a blast. I've also got the Switch version coming next week as well.

Some tips I thought I'd share:

-You can attack, cancel out of the attack with the backdash (L1) and then attack again during the backdash with some weapons like one-handed swords. It lets you attack twice really quickly while also creating space. It comes in handy with enemies that close in on you quickly.

-You should have the Claymore before you meet the boss on the ship. Use that against the Vepar because when she moves to the side of the boat, its the best weapon for consistently hitting her.

-When you get set up in town and your shop/alchemy station is working, don't buy shit. I think right off the bat I had enough to craft a longsword and didn't because I'm a dummo. I paid I think $1,700 for it which was a lot to spend so early in the game. I realized shortly after that I could have crafted it. Learn from my mistake!

-Zangetsu seems to be giving a lot of people some trouble. The key to this fight is jumping behind him as he attacks and getting his back. Don't try to go toe to toe and backdash out of harm's way.

-The "rats" shard drops from a giant rat enemy. Its pretty damn useful against most of the stronger enemies because it does multi-hit damage on enemies that stay in place for any amount of time. Using two of them at once and then getting in there and slashing with them will get you 6 hits or so very quickly.

-Watch out for the lanky ghost woman who you should be able to hear crying. She can use a shout that will curse you which cuts all your bars in half and then she has a grab that will be an insta-kill at the level you'll be when you first meet her. Don't fuck with her, just run. She has very high HP.

Zangetsu was the worst to get his medal (getting no hit from him). His attacks are always easy to telegraph when you know what's coming... except it's not. Sometimes, he does an uppercut and drops down. Other times, he does an uppercut and immediately attacks with a downslash.

Sometimes, he do his dash and a quick attack. Sometimes he dont. Sometimes he uses his parry after the dash.

It's never fucking consistent.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017

Yep any new starts will not see the issue.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
I'm stuck guys. Just got
double jump.
.Where do I go now?

Thanks in advance!

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Whats is supposed to be then? lol.

I just presumed it was supposed to be the moon and was a graphically glitch as it was placed over the castle in the background (rather than behind it on the horizon) and looked completely out of place
The moon seems to be where it's supposed to be...
sbB6sjF.jpg

If you didn't watch the cutscene before the first boss fight, you'll see Gremory leave an image of a red moon behind after they teleport away with Gebel.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I did eventually find the train, but it is funny that Mariel will mention it in dialogue if you haven't actually discovered it yet.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Is it 60fps on console? Walmart has it for $32 on PS4 and I'd like to bite on that deal.

60fps for the most part. I can't speak for what happens after the patch, but I've been playing pre-patch and have come across some framerate stutters here and there. Nothing game breaking though but they are inconsistent. Nothing that would make you think twice on picking it up. This is on Xbox, btw.

So it's a good length.
Any word on a 2nd quest (without spoiling)

10-12 hours seems like the general agreement for beating the game.

I know the game is only just out but is there a consensus emerging of best weapon types? Shards? etc

I think it's all personal preference. During my playthrough I just stuck with whatever gave me the highest attack but end game, I started to mess with other weapons. I think you can really get OP to the point where you can equip a weapon that had lower attack and still kill easily.

In terms of Shards, I really like one where lightning rains down. Upgraded that to max and it's beautiful. I'll post the name when I get home.

What's the best save-file name weapon to start with? I saw a list of a whole bunch of them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but can't you use one of those names, get the item, save then rename your file to get the others?

Finished the game, it's fucking excellent barring one part I didn't really like. Is new game plus in yet? Didn't see an option on the menu.

Yea, it's in. I believe you press Left Trigger when you highlight your save file.

[/QUOTE]
I feel bad for people who finished this game already. I want it to last for another week atleast.

There's plenty of replay value. I've beaten it and have been grinding. This is still on Normal. I have Hard and Nightmare to look forward to. I can do NG+ or start fresh with a higher difficulty. Not to mention all the DLC coming. Beating the game is just the beginning!

Oh has anyone found the recipe for Spaghetti?

Twice now I've run through the entire castle and I still haven't tripped over it.

Don't you have to craft the ingredients in order to make the Spaghetti? I don't think it's an actual drop. I can check when I get home if you're still stuck.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, does anyone else have sound test on their main menu screen? I just saw someone else playing the steam version and they dont have it. It has all the music and voices for me.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to playing this eventually, but I think I'm going to hold off for now. I did receive my physical copy, but with the glitches and bugs I am still hearing about, I am hoping more patches will be put out to fix them.

And I'm not even talking about the chest bug, I know if you start it post-patch you should be ok. But it would just drive me nuts having periodic problems of the game crashing/freezing on me, as well as the other issues people have complained about. Hopefully they will get those ironed out.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I started yesterday on PS4, v 1.01. Not that far, but far enough that I'm loathe to restart. I'd hate to fool myself into thinking I wasn't bitten by the bug, then progress up to the point where I was.

As much as it sucks, think I'll just rip the bandaid off and restart now. I'm irritated that I have to do this, though.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Options at the moment appear to be:
  1. Uninstall the game. Install again from disk. Pause updates to prevent patching. Back up save on USB/Cloud if you want to be extra safe.
  2. Start over with a 1.02 save. (Good opportunity to switch to Hard mode if you've been on the fence)
  3. Fart around, grind, and explore what you can hoping it will be patched but that could be days away at best and likely longer.
I was getting all sorts of weird loading hitches, performance issues, and such with the update, so I just uninstalled everything, reinstalled off of disc, updated to 1.02, started a new game, and now everything is smooth again so far. Patches/updates... what a double-edged sword it can be!

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Bit the bullet and nuked my old save to start again on 1.02.

First book I opened crashed game (PS4 Pro)

Think I'll come back to this in a few months, what a waste of hype.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bit the bullet and nuked my old save to start again on 1.02.

First book I opened crashed game (PS4 Pro)

Think I'll come back to this in a few months, what a waste of hype.
First book opening seems to do that for some reason. Had same thing on steam. Restarted and didnt happen again. I thought at the time it had to do with looking through the settings menus.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Was getting slightly bored with the weapons I had found so far, and then I just found the Flying Edge. I think I'm set until the end now, unless something more absurd comes along.

So how is this game? Is it worth $40?

Seems like it so far, especially when you consider SoTN was $50 or $60 at release. Also, some people think the music isn't that good, but I think it's OK. Reminds me a bit of Xenoblade Chronicles, which was highly lauded for its music. I guess Castlevania fans just have higher expecations?

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Little lost here, wondering if someone can give me some late game help.

I have the Invert ability now but I've been everywhere and can't find out where to go next, sitting at 75% map completion. On another note, where do I find curry sauce for the beef curry recipe?

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used my old save from patch 1.01 and overwritten it in a different save area on patch 1.02. There's still performance issues especially after dying. It seems like I'm waiting a minute+ just to get back to my last save each time.
Also notice some frame rate drops on water areas. I'm on a base PS4.
I'm 10 hours in and at 57% map discovered. A certain vampire stopped me for the longest time. I kept dying over and over.
This game is harder than SoTN on normal difficulty.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even begin to stress how important it is to rank up shards / collect extras / and eat food on Nightmare. This shit is literally your only real way of having power growth.

That said Int is omega strong on nightmare for this very reason.

For context on second boss.

fireball was hitting for 26 x 4

vs 1 whip attack for 10

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't get the first book crash mentioned a few posts above.

As an aside, one small time-saving tip is that anywhere where the game pauses (like to introduce a new area, or when you get a HP/MP pickup, etc.), you can press the start button to immediate regain control of your character so that you don't have to wait for the animation to finish.

My favorite weapon is the one you get from the scissor dudes. It's a rare drop, but basically allows you to do rapid attacks without stopping Miriam in her tracks.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I really like the game, but the crashing is starting to get the better of me. During my last two hours of intense farming and crafting, the game has crashed 4 times. I think the game has crashed 20 times in total or something like that. The game is too good to put on hold because of the crashes, but I am a bit jealous of people who wait for some patches and can avoid this shit.

Same crash every time btw, the picture freezes and the music continues playing. Has mostly happened to me during frequent screen transitions and fast actions in the crafting menus.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Question: can I play the game with my 8bitdo M30 controller? The dpad can be remapped to any stick and there's enough buttons to cover all normal buttons except L3/R3. I'm waiting for my Switch digital copy. :(

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any reviews out? Review thread?

I pre ordered it but I haven't got my game yet. Now I'm thinking that I can wait until they pat bugs and issues?

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
60fps for the most part. I can't speak for what happens after the patch, but I've been playing pre-patch and have come across some framerate stutters here and there. Nothing game breaking though but they are inconsistent. Nothing that would make you think twice on picking it up. This is on Xbox, btw.

10-12 hours seems like the general agreement for beating the game.

I think it's all personal preference. During my playthrough I just stuck with whatever gave me the highest attack but end game, I started to mess with other weapons. I think you can really get OP to the point where you can equip a weapon that had lower attack and still kill easily.

In terms of Shards, I really like one where lightning rains down. Upgraded that to max and it's beautiful. I'll post the name when I get home.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but can't you use one of those names, get the item, save then rename your file to get the others?

Yea, it's in. I believe you press Left Trigger when you highlight your save file.

There's plenty of replay value. I've beaten it and have been grinding. This is still on Normal. I have Hard and Nightmare to look forward to. I can do NG+ or start fresh with a higher difficulty. Not to mention all the DLC coming. Beating the game is just the beginning!

Don't you have to craft the ingredients in order to make the Spaghetti? I don't think it's an actual drop. I can check when I get home if you're still stuck.
[/QUOTE]
10-12 is disappointing

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
So the soundtrack doesn't maintain the greatness of the first few parts of the game? I'm not too far yet but the tracks are killer. The Curse of the Moon soundtrack is so godlike, and since it was chiptune renditions of this game's soundtrack, I assumed this would be even better.