• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh, so there's no point in crafting stuff that's already in the store, like potions, etc.?

If you're broke / have lots of surplus materials, but generally speaking a lot of materials are used in multiple items so if you're running lowish, then just buy from the shop.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Restarted the game due to the chest bug (I hadn't actually experienced it, but it seems like a pretty universal thing for people who started prior to the patch, so I just wanted to make sure) and I'm actually glad I did, as I'm having a much better run this time around. Found a bunch of stuff I'd somehow missed out on the first time around, and I wasn't even two hours into the game when I restarted.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
Loving the game so far but I'm confused about how alchemy works.

He said he'd put the items I craft in the store for me, does that mean in addition to using up alchemy crafting materials I also have to spend money on any items I craft, or does that just mean any new items I craft that she doesn't already have in the store I can now buy from her? Like if I craft a potion do I immediately get a potion in my inventory? Or does it go over to the store's stock and I still have to buy it?
I *think* that means that once you've crafted an item, you can also buy it from the shop for gold.
Which means if you want another of that item, you don't have to farm the mats and craft it again, but you can also buy it with gold.

You may wonder "why would I want another one?" but the majority of items, other than having a purpose in themselves, are also materials to craft something else.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
Getting every shard would definitely be a grind.
Every shard and every drop from every enemy. Each enemy has up to 4 possible drops, compared say to the 2 you would get in SotN (and no shards either there).

Some shards and items have ~1% drop rate, that I found so far at least. Some stuff could have it even lower.
Bet the game has some item that lowers your stats but raises the drop rate of rare items/shards though.

Also don't forget this game has a New Game +. I would assume you retain the majority of your shards/items/database entries when you start a new game plus.
Given how the game is structured and how there are multiple endings and how successive runs would be so much faster than the first, I think doing a 2nd run with a NG+ on a higher difficulty level is quite suggested I would say.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Here's a possible work around for the twin dragons chest bug if you don't want to restart.
IMG_20190619_011202.jpg

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Every shard and every drop from every enemy. Each enemy has up to 4 possible drops, compared say to the 2 you would get in SotN (and no shards either there).

Some shards and items have ~1% drop rate, that I found so far at least. Some stuff could have it even lower.
Bet the game has some item that lowers your stats but raises the drop rate of rare items/shards though.
Yeah, I was experiencing a grind just trying to see if one enemy had faery wings. I'm not cut out for achievement hunting, though.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

Also don't forget this game has a New Game +. I would assume you retain the majority of your shards/items/database entries when you start a new game plus.
Do any enemies drop equipment/weapons, or just shards and crafting-only materials?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

god that sounds like a grind but still, from what I read, I'm so in. Igavania is BACK

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Anyone else feeling last night's play session on their left thumb? I think the dpad (xbox one elite) aspect of techniques had a price to pay ...

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Any grind? Man igavania is notorious for rare drops
A very little grind so far (4minutes) for some key shard (ability).
Some hints are a little subtle, which can lead to a little wandering about until you realize the meaning, you must not skip hints by npcs.
In my opinion you can survive without if you are not too bad with the controls at least in the first 30 percents, in fact i think it s better not to grind as the foes difficulty give hints about the natural order of prograssion of the areas.
I have no issue so far with it, I don t try to collect every little thing, even though i try to find every secret ;)
I think it all be very very grindy if you want to complete all checklist quests and get every item and every abilities. (As many abilities as there are enemy types, it s huge since the roster is impressive).
I only have 900kills so far, without grinding, because i have an ability surrounding me with a killer protection and a very efficient familiar. They fall like flies around me when i traverse the early easier areas ;)

Last edited:

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
Do any enemies drop equipment/weapons, or just shards and crafting-only materials?
I'm still very early but found at least 2 swords and I think an accessory. So yeah, safe to say enemies can drop equipment too and not just shards/mats.
Keep in mind equipment can be a "material" too, as it can be used to craft other equipment.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm still very early but found at least 2 swords and I think an accessory. So yeah, safe to say enemies can drop equipment too and not just shards/mats.
Keep in mind equipment can be a "material" too, as it can be used to craft other equipment.
Thanks. I'm a little ways into the game but haven't been keeping track of the drops outside of shards obviously. I was hoping there would be equipment drops too just to make the drops interesting. I hope there are some ultra rare unique weapons that only one enemy drops or something.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
Thanks. I'm a little ways into the game but haven't been keeping track of the drops outside of shards obviously. I was hoping there would be equipment drops too just to make the drops interesting. I hope there are some ultra rare unique weapons that only one enemy drops or something.
I can tell you the lion-headed knight drops "Long Sword" (1H sword) and the other long-sworded knight you find nearby drops a, what's it called, Flamberge? It's a greatsword (2H sword)

Not home now so I can't check my database for further info, I apologize!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I can tell you the lion-headed knight drops "Long Sword" (1H sword) and the other long-sworded knight you find nearby drops a, what's it called, Flamberge? It's a greatsword (2H sword)

Not home now so I can't check my database for further info, I apologize!
No need to apologize at all. I appreciate your answers. I'll have to hunt for that stuff next time I play.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
Anybody noticed some minor clunkyness in the Great Sword (2H Sword) with light properties that you can craft with an 8bit coin? Don't remember the name.
Doesn't have any special move but you can "charge" the sword attack to delay it. Damage doesn't increase, but it's still useful.

Sometimes (often?) if you charge while jumping the attack will somehow cancel when you land on the ground.
Doesn't happen everytime but happens frequently, not sure what causes it.
It's not an awful thing in the end but it feels a bit clunky...

Skrams

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
As far as grinding, there's quite a few shards you get to alleviate it and I had only gotten up to the Clocktower. Either shards to pickpocket from enemies or shards to make crafting x2 items possible. There's also hidden effects like how the Apron will sometimes? let you craft x2 food. It was 100% in 1.01, but I'm not sure if it's changed in 1.02.

How's the trophy list? Any difficulty trophy, missable or multiple playthrough?
500,000 Gold looks to be tough until people find an easy way to amass money. There was a way to do this prepatch that garnered me 18k while I was lazily doing it in 30 minutes. This involved the crafting and dismantling of food as food took 1 alkahest to dismantle, but you could produce 2 food via equipping the Apron. The patches made Alkahest now cost 800G instead of 50G and it now takes 9 Alkahest instead of 1 to dismantle food. The dismantled food would sell for more than it cost to make it all, so it was to easy to make a lot of food and dismantle it to rack up a lot of money. I was hoping to play further into the game as later game foods might make you even more money, but with the 1.02 patch, that shit is down the drain.

And also the Apron making x2 food effect seems to just work or not work on the current patch. I really don't know if they just made it a possible chance instead of 100% guaranteed or what.
Anyone else feeling last night's play session on their left thumb? I think the dpad (xbox one elite) aspect of techniques had a price to pay ...
I can't for the life of me get tech to come out reliably on the dpad when compared to the stick. It's honestly annoying since using techniques like the flying kicks 3 times in a row to cross some usually uncrossable gaps is just not reliable enough for me. I don't know if I can buffer in another kick or not to just mash it out.

PS4 dpad btw

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck those wraith-type enemies which curse you and do like 150 damage with that one move. Noped out of every possible encounter til I got the floating pig shard doing some proper damage

Oct 27, 2017

Given how the game is structured and how there are multiple endings and how successive runs would be so much faster than the first, I think doing a 2nd run with a NG+ on a higher difficulty level is quite suggested I would say.

Fantastic. Some of the rare weapons in SOTN were absolutely game breaking and worth the time they took to get lol.

I'm guessing we don't get any LUCK potions in this game.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Shard rank vs shard grade? A previous poster wrote they have the same effect, so you can sell your shard duplicates if you have upgraded a shard the corresponding number of levels. Can someone confirm this? Googling the situation didn't help ...

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
How do you raise Johannes' alkahest cost thing? Mine's at 8 and I can't dismantle what I want for cooking materials to feed the old lady. :(

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Link to the preset is in the description, RT will obviously tank your fps pretty hard though.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
So what is the general consensus about the game?

I havnt played it and while the latest trailers look much better than previous, it still looks floaty. But yet.. I'm very curious to play it for obvious reasons.

So what say you ERA yay or nay?

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
Shard rank vs shard grade? A previous poster wrote they have the same effect, so you can sell your shard duplicates if you have upgraded a shard the corresponding number of levels. Can someone confirm this? Googling the situation didn't help ...
I wrote about it before, it's the same.
Two ways to power up your shards, they don't stack.

You can level up your shard rank at Johannes by trading the necessary mats
Or you can power it up by having multiple shards of the same type.

The game tells you that "carrying too many shards will bring consequences". Which would lead to think that the first method is "better", but then again who knows, maybe it's just flavour text and nothing changes even if you have a gazilion of shards.

Skrams

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
According to the Archives>Compendium>Shards tab in game.

"A shard's Grade indicates its power or effect. Each duplicate shard you collect increase that shard's Grade, up to a maximum of 9."
"You can increase a shard's Rank by enhancing it alchemically. Increasing a Passive Shard's Rank to 9 will convert it into a Skill Shard."

Sounds like the more of a shard you get, the better its power. The higher the rank, more shit changes to the Shard's ability. It tells you what ranks up when you're enhancing them. Stuff like flinging an arrow will turn into more arrows flung.
How do you raise Johannes' alkahest cost thing? Mine's at 8 and I can't dismantle what I want for cooking materials to feed the old lady. :(
It costs so many Alkahests to dismantle things. Alkahests drop from Ghosts and Paintings I think. They can also be bought for 800G.
One thing nobody has commented on yet - the soundtrack is fantastic. Genuinely surprised in places.

This game is absolutely fantastic. I am going to be raving about it for ages.
They give you a hint of the music in the underground water section, and I'm almost mad I can't progress to hear that tune naturally until I get some swimming abilities.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

I havnt played it and while the latest trailers look much better than previous, it still looks floaty. But yet.. I'm very curious to play it for obvious reasons.

It's so good. If you like Igavanias, it will feel perfect. I don't think it feels floaty, but I've played a lot if Castlevania.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy

Despite the fact that several outstanding "metroidvania" games got released over the last few years, not even a single was was a true "Igavania", so for orphans of that subgenre of metroidvania, this game is pure bliss.

I'm still not particularly fond of the aesthethics, the "realistic" filters/shaders they used in some instances, but the game improved tons and I mean TONS compared to the ugly alpha. I think at this point it looks at least nice, some of the 3D effects are a real candy to the eye.

Gameplay wise it was clear arleady from the early alphas that the game would've been astounding.
Only concerns I have at the moment are the difficulty: game seems to be pretty accessible on the default difficulty setting (like a proper Igavania should be!) so that might upset some people looking for extreme challenge.
Also the game is slow, which I apreciate A LOT, but for some people (used to Dead Cells? lol) it might look boring, I dunno.

For me it's already a precious game in the videogame world.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I wrote about it before, it's the same.
Two ways to power up your shards, they don't stack.

You can level up your shard rank at Johannes by trading the necessary mats
Or you can power it up by having multiple shards of the same type.

The game tells you that "carrying too many shards will bring consequences". Which would lead to think that the first method is "better", but then again who knows, maybe it's just flavour text and nothing changes even if you have a gazilion of shards.
Thanks

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I can't for the life of me get tech to come out reliably on the dpad when compared to the stick. It's honestly annoying since using techniques like the flying kicks 3 times in a row to cross some usually uncrossable gaps is just not reliable enough for me. I don't know if I can buffer in another kick or not to just mash it out.
PS4 dpad btw
I had the same problem in Symphony of the Night. The DualShock 4 d-pad is awful for diagonals/circular motions.
I haven't been finding it to be as much of an issue here though - it's a bit more lenient. Or maybe I'm used to it now.

sXa9nml.png

Like this? It was set to 48k already.

I've tried all settings, tried JP voices, tried the game at diff resolutions/window settings, tried disabling steam UI, tried deleting saves, still get crackling Miriam voices.
Every other voice is fine, it's just Miriam's voice only crackling in my ear. 😩

This is karma for unironically enjoying a glitch-free day 1 playthrough of Mighty No. 9 I've accepted it.
Ah, that's a shame - I was hoping it would be something 'simple' like that. Not really sure what the issue could be then. Probably an old sound driver or some other system issue like high DPC Latency (often caused by a bad driver on the system - but not necessarily audio).

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Really happy to see a bunch of positive impressions for this. Those bugs will hopefully get ironed out asap

Not sure if I'll play this on PC or Switch

Mabec

Oct 27, 2017
Where the F do you head after killing that glass hand boss? I been to the camp for a scene but still its so extremly confusingly designed I'm flabbergasted.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Being so indecisive on this on whether or not i should just purchase this on PS4 or wait for the Switch version.

Skrams

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Zangetsu is no joke. I wish I knew how much health he has.
Should be 1000
Where the F do you head after killing that glass hand boss? I been to the camp for a scene but still its so extremly confusingly designed I'm flabbergasted.
You got the ability to help with the chariot guy in the area before Zangetsu.
Can you return to previous areas?

Seems
for that ship you might need a double jump later
Yes

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Can you return to previous areas?

Seems
for that ship you might need a double jump later

That's the name of the game. And yeah, some treats there. Double jump opens a lot. Beyond the basics of increased jump height, there's a lightly hidden mechanic for additional traversal in the form of jump kicking/comet kicking. Keep an eye out for curiously positioned lanterns, or enemies you might just be able to kick off of to get to higher ground.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Made it up to the second boss and won.

Iga really did it. I feel like I'm playing one of his Castlevania games again, and it feels so good.