• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Is the grinding bad? Do you get any items to help with that? I know the Sorrow games both let you get a ring when you're right at the end to ease farming.

I believe you do get an item that helps with drops but I don't know if it helps with Shards or if it's just for the materials/items that enemies drop.

Shards haven't been too bad. I actually have most of them but it's the grind to get duplicates that can go either way. The chances of getting a Shard are between 2-5% according to the in game info. Your Luck stat (I'm assuming) will help with that.

Some shards are only available via crafting and some are 1 time drops from a boss.

This is currently my GOTY. Easily. Having a ton of fun with it.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
3 hours in, 21% map completion. So far this game is everything I wanted it to be in regards to a new Igavania. Gameplay, music, the lot. Art style is nice too, maybe a little bit rough around the edges when you get in closer (plus Johannes has quite a shiny head) but it works really, really well.

Also (enemy spoilers):

Just came across an enemy that looks inexplicably like Shovel Knight. He really does get everywhere. Was not expecting that, but it was a nice surprise. Are there many more indie-game based enemies in the game? (No names, if so)

Oh, and the noise that the Bloodbringer enemy makes when you kill it is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Much better as a familiar, though.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yay, little scummy to not announce that until after everything closed and you were unable to change. Just sell your code and buy for the system you want? I'm sure with the "free" DLC code you would break even.

Just imagine if you were Vita/WiiU/Other platforms who had their version canceled,.

Here's the thing though; game development is always in flux. I have no doubt that they were targeting 60fps across all platforms, and at the time they closed off platform switching for backers, they were still targeting 60fps across all platforms. But sometimes, during optimization, you realize that your target can't be reached, so you're forced to make an executive decision.

A developer never sets out to screw over their fans. We're not sitting their, twirling our mustaches going, "how can we give a lesser experience to our players?! Nyah ha ha ha haaaaa!"

I'm sure the Bloodstained team tried their damnedest to hit 60fps on the Switch, but for reasons unknown, they weren't able to do it. I can guarantee with 100% certainty that one of those reasons was not to screw Switch owners out of an optimal experience. These types of decisions are never made maliciously. If they could have hit 1080p/60 or 720p/60 on Switch, they would have.

Hopefully it'll be a locked 720p/30fps on Switch. Optimization is always such a tense period when making games. No developer wants to reduce the scope of their game if they can help it.

Last edited:

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, I wish they wouldn't wait until last minute to have the Backer codes generated and sent out. Wasn't this the same case with MN9 that digital and others were playing it before Backers (Digital codes) as well? (granted there's still a little time here, but still.)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to getting to play this tonight. I hope my PS4 survives...the last time I booted it up the noise it was making was really, really concerning. :(

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
Just got my PS4 backer copy, hope the day one patch is up.

img_20190617_112132evkp2.jpg

edit: the patch is 7.5GB.
Wait, I hope the backer copy is more than just a piece of cardbox with the standard game case inside it?

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I now hold in my hands a game that I paid 150 dollars for about 4 years ago. Hope it's good!

This slipcase looks really nice at least.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly even if its bad I played so much Curse of the Moon that I'll consider the overall project a success anyway.

Really hoping this game is good though.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a summary somewhere of what each of the extra modes and DLC are, as in the details not just the names? Is the kickstarter still the best place to read those plans?

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Do we know if the PS4 or Xbox versions will be out at midnight (US) or tomorrow afternoon?

PS4 Store (when you go to preorder it, claims it is playable 6/17 which is indicative of a Midnight EST release.

How long is this game?

Someone above just claimed 3h in at 21%. Not sure if that means length of play or 21% like there are hidden unlockables or items. But if it's length of play, that would put it in the 10-15hr mark, by my estimated range?

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly even if its bad I played so much Curse of the Moon that I'll consider the overall project a success anyway.

Really hoping this game is good though.

Completely agree. It's strange but it was really something that appealed to me. I have finished it 3 times. Really like it.

I have no idea on if that some inclination of what bloodstain will be.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Store (when you go to preorder it, claims it is playable 6/17 which is indicative of a Midnight EST release.

Someone above just claimed 3h in at 21%. Not sure if that means length of play or 21% like there are hidden unlockables or items. But if it's length of play, that would put it in the 10-15hr mark, by my estimated range?

Could also have some classic IGA-fuckery in the sense that 100% may not be all there is

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Did they send out kickstarter keys yet? I honestly can't remember and I'm having a hell of a time getting to the backer page.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
How long is this game?

Usual Igavania length, so on average about 10 hours. Probably more for completionists, as that length is usually the base game without going for full map completion and all HP/MP Ups. I'm sure getting all the permanent stat boosts - gotta eat each recipe of food at least once - will add more time for the grinders.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still finishing Godhome in Hollow Knight, but I'm already anxious to play this as fast as I can.