• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any insight on why the level design and graphics are so dull and generic looking? Is it some sort of engine limitation or something? Even the worst Igavania had more vibrant and interesting level design and graphics.

We cannot judge level design so far, we have seen only a fraction of the first level new version (very standard fare, didn't seem to have changed a lot) and a dozen screens of various others (standard as well).
The boat environment, having taken damage and sipping water has been added a ton of character in the new version...
Most enemies are not to my taste so far (i hate the lion wheels for example).
I mapped all castlevania games, and so far it's not as uninspired as one might think.... it's just... standard fare, a continuity.

The first level map i made:

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
This project's biggest mistake, in my opinion, was making that asinine stretch goal of a Vita port and then sticking to that promise. I cant shake the feeling that graphics, artstyle or features are getting held back by this portable console that doesnt even support the UE4 natively. They should've never promised it or have canceled it by now. Back in 2015 it was the only portable the game was coming on but now? Now we have the Switch. At least they had the sense of cancelling the WiiU version in favor of the Switch. But releasing a new Vita game close to 2019 is almost as ridiculous as it would've been to release it on WiiU.
I know that but still cant shake the feeling. The game might get delayed further even for a port to a dead console thats may not even be worth it.
Vita may not worth for you but for others it still is, developers were well aware of the state of Vita and the year they were(and now are) in, also the artstyle is Vita's fault? Are you serious?

If you said just graphics then i would have just showed similar games like.. i dunno Batman Blackgate for example
batman-arkham-origins-blackgate-03.jpg
dan-doherty-baobvita0402.jpg

or the unknown Kick & Fennick
606e16186e9a19e36f588905cb8a86c39adda8d4-1040494.jpg
large.jpg

(that have 2 completely opposite artstyles) and that without obviously taking into account Killzone Mercenary and other big games.

But the artstyle? Really?

Developers made those graphics because those were what they could do and planned since the beginning, otherwise there wouldn't have been a Vita version, the reason could be budget, talent or something else.

You don't plan on making the biggest and best looking game ever and then make it multi with Vita, you make a multi with Vita because the scope/budget/whatever let's you afford a game that can run somehow on Vita.

Does anyone have any insight on why the level design and graphics are so dull and generic looking? Is it some sort of engine limitation or something? Even the worst Igavania had more vibrant and interesting level design and graphics.
I don't think it looks that bad, but it's not the engine that designs characters and environment, remember when people ignorantly accused the UE3 for the grey/brown look of ps360 games? Then Guilty Gear Xrd happened.
Artstyle, designs, graphics, performance etc all depend on developers.

Last edited:

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
So, anyone caught any news of when codes go out for tomorrow, or if another delay is coming? I doubt it (I checked the Twitter and saw nothing) but it'd be nice if they dropped some info.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
EasyAllies did a brief interview with IGA

Backgrounds still worry me.
And I can't seem to put it into words.

Idk , maybe add some fog, gradients that overlay the entirety of the screen.

Is kinda amazing how alucard blends perfectly with all of the backgrounds, but here the characters look really sharp and bright.

Some else help me elaborate.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Backgrounds still worry me.
And I can't seem to put it into words.

Idk , maybe add some fog, gradients that overlay the entirety of the screen.

Is kinda amazing how alucard blends perfectly with all of the backgrounds, but here the characters look really sharp and bright.

Some else help me elaborate.
There has to be some contrast between foreground characters and the background or you would have issues seeing what you're supposed to be doing. This issue is exacerbated particularly in 2.5D games.

Also, the rendering styles of the foreground and background were voted on by backers way back, and they have stuck with that choice all this time.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2.5D games need really good lighting effects to make them look good. This game doesn't have that so that's why it's so flat looking.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
The new backer beta code seems to have replaced the code from two years ago in my fulfillment page. It gives two codes at once; one of them creates a new "Beta Backer Demo" entry in my library, while Steam just tells me I already own the product from the second code.

Wanted to try it a bit before I have to leave for work but it's nearly completely unplayable without a gamepad plugged in. There seem to be keyboard mappings for certain things but they're completely undocumented and have to be found by trial and error. I got stuck in the options screen with no apparent way to get out short of just Alt+F4ing out of the game.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The environment looks way too washed out in the trailer, this is definitely a lighting issue.

If they didn't fix it I will have to play the game in the lowest brightness setting.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
So... New backer demo that I can't play because I don't own a modern Windows PC. I assume it's going to be a new Steam download code and not an update of the previous one. If it is, does anyone want it? It's fucking useless to me.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
So... New backer demo that I can't play because I don't own a modern Windows PC. I assume it's going to be a new Steam download code and not an update of the previous one. If it is, does anyone want it? It's fucking useless to me.
I'll gladly take it off you if that's okay. Only backed at the $28 level myself and didn't realize I wouldn't get demo access. :(

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Watched the new trailer, and wow, the game looks just perfect. I really can't wait for it.

I'm already hoping for a sequel, haha.

This is the first time I wish I backed something : (
I actually decided to purposely not back it just so I could support the developers after release. For some reason I feel like post-launch sales are more meaningful, but maybe I'm just weird lol.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I actually decided to purposely not back it just so I could support the developers after release. For some reason I feel like post-launch sales are more meaningful, but maybe I'm just weird lol.
I don't think post-launch sales are going to mean as much (and honestly, this game is going to have fewer than normal because of all the backers, and hopefully the media will remember to take that into account come launch time). Backer revenue goes straight to the developers with only Kickstarter/Fangamer/PayPal skimming a cut, whereas sales have so many more middlemen.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's so weird how uneven the graphics are across this trailer. Some places look nice, but others have this sort of flatness and cheapness to them like there's no light source or no shading or something. It reminds me of Dreamcast graphics in places.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
My hype for this game was sitting at a 0 before I heard the Easy Allies talk about it a couple of podcasts ago. It definitely sounds great I just wish it looked great.

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the new trailer, and wow, the game looks just perfect. I really can't wait for it.

I'm already hoping for a sequel, haha.

And some people think that you shouldn't have access to the "backer exclusive content". Bullshit, I say, make that free for everyone, or at least DLC/Part of a slightly more expensive edition. Everyone should have the opportunity to fight Iga, that shit will be legendary.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Game looks like it's actually challenging, I'm hyped.

My hype for this game was sitting at a 0 before I heard the Easy Allies talk about it a couple of podcasts ago. It definitely sounds great I just wish it looked great.

Yeah, I don't care about graphics but I care a lot about art direction, so far it seems like a mess tbh. Game needs better contrast and lighting, and maybe even a filter.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I'm actually quite pleased at this. The game looks great, though the cutscenes colors seem a bit odd? Like the textures are splotchy. In stage graphics look great though. Movement and combat are spot on, and each weapon has a unique feel to it.

Overall, if the main game is like this at release, i'll be quite happy with it.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I don't think post-launch sales are going to mean as much (and honestly, this game is going to have fewer than normal because of all the backers, and hopefully the media will remember to take that into account come launch time). Backer revenue goes straight to the developers with only Kickstarter/Fangamer/PayPal skimming a cut, whereas sales have so many more middlemen.
I mean, that's very likely true that they'll get more money from backing, but I guess I see post sales as profit, while Kickstarter backing is funding development of the game in the first place.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no impression thread yet? (Just looked, couldn't see one)?

Still I only got to the first save room after the first boss but what I've played was fun. :D

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I think it's kind of shitty that the $28 backers don't get to try the demo. I can understand the first beta they released awhile back, but the game is presumably releasing relatively soon. Give people that paid into what they consider enough for a copy of the game a chance to play the damn game, its been years now. It's not like this is a multiplayer game and they gotta worry about number of servers and stuff like that.

I can fake pre-order just about any game with a beta on Amazon and play it for free. Gave them $28 up front and it's still not enough to try a game that I've been waiting years for. It could potentially quell my waning faith in the game if I could try it out with my own two hands.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My best guess has always been that they made a mistake partnering with IntiCreates initially, as they have not shown any ability in making visually pleasing 3D games.
I think something more substantial happened with Inti. They were also dropped from Shantae Half Genie Hero around the same time, I suspect maybe they had layoffs and scaled down the company to focus on retro stuff with less overhead.