• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped. Excited to get that SoTN type of game from this. I did not participate in the kickstarter though.

TyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really hoping this doesn't turn out like mighty number 9. I love the 2d castlevania series.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Looking pretty solid. But I find that Lolita design to be atrocious. "Well, I guess we have to have one boob showing because of her tattoo. And, duh, of course she's going to wear a skirt."

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Backers are definitely getting what they asked for.

As far as metroidvanias go, this looks like fairly average stuff.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, pretty much exactly what I wanted from the game by the looks of it. Love the character design, too. Can't wait.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I'm most likely going to get it but there seems to be a major clash between the character models and background visuals. I don't know what it is, but it makes it feel "FFVI mobile port"-y

Edit: changed "sprites" to "character models"

Last edited:

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely agree that the character animations need some work, but this still looks promising.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Looks pretty faithful to the SotN type experience that has been missing from Castlevania for the last couple of years.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly why I backed it. It feels like it has been a LONG time since the Kickstarter, but the playable demo they sent backers a while back as well as the steady amount of updates have kept me from losing faith.

That's good to know. I was never worried about the quality of the game. I usually buy games that I know that I will play. If I feel that I wasn't happy with the development or game itself, then it is my fault and thats ok. I just want the game released.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Those animations are pure Igavania, but they're almost too faithful, as they don't look great in 3D/2.5D.

prof.Killjoy

Oct 27, 2017
gameplay is shaping up nicely. but they need to scrap the background art. I dont know what they are thinking. The game visually looks generic as hell.

cant they just farm out some artwork from south korea or something? i feel like if they spent a little cash in this department it would go a long way.

games can make or break based on their look alone. And this thing just LOOKS boring. I cant wait to PLAY it tho (but metroidvania games are my jam)

SHAQ

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, Florida
The boss battle music gave me chills. I'm ready for this game!

... Or Castlevania Harmony of Despair 2. Or anything Castlevania, really.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be picking this up for the Switch, PC, and maybe even PS4.

Excited to see all of the areas in the game (noticed that the one in this latest peek was called Garden of Silence); with this being the largest castle ever for an IGAvania, should be good times.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Backed this at the $60 level. I want my backer physical edition.
Hehe. I was in love with this from the start and the demo was nice! It's easily one of my most anticipated games for next year.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
There are visual change for different equipment... YES!
The movement and jumping speed is almost identical with SOTN, I am ok with that.
Enemy need some stagger reaction after being hit, the frog has it but the humaniod enemy don't, why?

On a related note, I backed the game for Vita but it seems increasingly unlikely that it can be ported to the system now, is it possible to change it to PC version?

The lack of stagger reaction is probably a polish thing. Various things get prioritized over the course of development, and it's likely that that particular enemy hasn't been looked at yet beyond basic attack animations, and death animation. This game still seems to have a ways to go, so I imagine the game won't be entering polishing rage anytime soon.

And I think that applies to all areas of the game, from character animations, lighting, post-processing effects, etc etc. I don't doubt that what Bloodstained looks like in this November 2017 update video, and What Bloodstained will look like 6 months from now, will be noticeably different.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking pretty solid. But I find that Lolita design to be atrocious. "Well, I guess we have to have one boob showing because of her tattoo. And, duh, of course she's going to wear a skirt."
Look, she could've have her panties constantly showing with every jump or kick and but she doesn't because she has shorts underneath so there's that.

I do like Miriam tho. A bit overboard with the boobs but whatever.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are visual change for different equipment... YES!
The movement and jumping speed is almost identical with SOTN, I am ok with that.
Enemy need some stagger reaction after being hit, the frog has it but the humaniod enemy don't, why?

On a related note, I backed the game for Vita but it seems increasingly unlikely that it can be ported to the system now, is it possible to change it to PC version?
Yes. Check the email you got from fangamer where you chose Vita in the first place to change it to whichever version you want.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't be happier that I backed this. A little more polish and it'll be where my intal expectations were. Boss footage really won me over too.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I need to play it but it looks boring. And this coming from someone who loves most of the 2D Castlevania games.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all for the heads up regarding the possible change of platform!
By all accounts the Vita version is very much still in the cards. If they were to cancel it they would've already done that by now (after all they did cancel the WiiU version in March).

It's coming, I wouldn't be worried about that. Although having said that it remains to be seen how good that version will be when compared to the UE4 capable platforms (PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, Switch, XB1).

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't a backer of this, but I've been sort of following the project. I remember thinking that the game looked really rough in the earlier videos (I obviously understood it was in development). That said, this really does seem to look better every time they do an update like this.

I'm looking forward to seeing Johannes though as he might be the only (playable?) Character I like the design of.

I was browsing their Kickstarter and saw the WiiU goal. Did they ever change this to Switch or anything like other projects have?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By all accounts the Vita version is very much still in the cards. If they were to cancel it they would've already done that by now (after all they did cancel the WiiU version in March).

It's coming, I wouldn't be worried about that. Although having said that it remains to be seen how good that version will be when compared to the UE4 capable platforms (PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, Switch, XB1).
the Vita can theoretically support UE4's functions natively, though given the clocks, it might be stretched thin. we might end up seeing the game pulling an Injustice, being completely rebuilt for the device

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't a backer of this, but I've been sort of following the project. I remember thinking that the game looked really rough in the earlier videos (I obviously understood it was in development). That said, this really does seem to look better every time they do an update like this.

I'm looking forward to seeing Johannes though as he might be the only (playable?) Character I like the design of.

I was browsing their Kickstarter and saw the WiiU goal. Did they ever change this to Switch or anything like other projects have?
Yes. Back in March or so (right after the Switch launched) they announced the cancelation of the WiiU version in favor of the Switch while offering refunds to those who backed that version and weren't willing to change it to any other platform. The transition went down without a hitch. IMO it was the right decision, the WiiU was already irrelevant, I couldn't even imagine how dead it'd be by mid 2018.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped. Excited to get that SoTN type of game from this. I did not participate in the kickstarter though.

i really don't think this is going to be a SoTN 2, but more of a Circle of the Moon 2

SOTN? i'm not getting that vibe from anything i've seen. maybe it's the 2.5d, maybe its the story/character decisions, maybe its the blocky animation or the weird art style, i don't know. My entire family loved SOTN to death. I'm in a large family and at least 5 of my brothers played the entire game, but if i showed them this game, they would probably cringe 5 times over, especially at the excessant moaning everytime she gets a powerup, i mean is that even necessary?

it's gonna be a good niche game, i'm positive, but a SoTN isn't what i'm seeing yet.

what i've seen from these trailers is actually closer to Circle of the Moon than SOTN. which isn't a bad thing. i love circle of the moon. but it's no SOTN.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
The foundation is there, but this needs a MASSIVE layer of polish... I dunno add ambience, attack effects.. something. That animation when enemies disintegrate looks atrocious.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is why game developers never want to show games too early.

This footage is barely in alpha stage. Don't judge it's fun factor when it's this far from ready.

Pretty much. It's also why a lot of us will show CGI trailers when we reveal a game. Sometimes it's jist not ready to be seen. With Kickstarter, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't, because you want to be as transparent as possible, so people know their backing is well spent, but often if you do, you have to show it down an incomplete project, which hasn't even had a polish pass yet.

I think what a lot of gamers don't realize when they see a game shown off at E3 or similar conventions is that those games aren't done. It's not like developers are sitting on complete games waiting for the perfect time to reveal them so they can win E3. Many of them are months, maybe even a year from release, so we show the most polished section at that particular moment in time.

Bloodstained is probably still a year off, if we're lucky. We aren't seeing even close to a finished product. It's a shame that so many gamers are quick to judge an unfinished product. Then people complain if we sit on it until closer to release. It's a double edged sword I think.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to get this on Switch. Does it have a guaranteed physical release?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. It's also why a lot of us will show CGI trailers when we reveal a game. Sometimes it's jist not ready to be seen. With Kickstarter, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't, because you want to be as transparent as possible, so people know their backing is well spent, but often if you do, you have to show it down an incomplete project, which hasn't even had a polish pass yet.

I think what a lot of gamers don't realize when they see a game shown off at E3 or similar conventions is that those games aren't done. It's not like developers are sitting on complete games waiting for the perfect time to reveal them so they can win E3. Many of them are months, maybe even a year from release, so we show the most polished section at that particular moment in time.

Bloodstained is probably still a year off, if we're lucky. We aren't seeing even close to a finished product. It's a shame that so many gamers are quick to judge an unfinished product. Then people complain if we sit on it until closer to release. It's a double edged sword I think.
Preach!

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Really looking forward to this game. Was able to play it at E3 a year ago. Curious how it feels now.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Getting there. I really hate the UI, though, especially the fonts. Looks like a mobile game in that regard.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
As a backer and Castlevania fan, it's sad to see this project turning out so bad. The jump needs tweeks, it's too fast. The graphics/lighting/shaders/art are uninspired to say the least. There is almost no hit feedback/reactions on enemies. Also, the main character design is just bad, reducing the boobs and changing the idle stance would do wonders as a starting point.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a backer and Castlevania fan, it's sad to see this project turning out so bad. The jump needs tweeks, it's too fast. The graphics/lighting/shaders/art are uninspired to say the least. There is almost no hit feedback/reactions on enemies. Also, the main character design is just bad, reducing the boobs and changing the idle stance would do wonders as a starting point.
Too early to be this negative. This is not close to release. We'll talk when we're watching a launch trailer, man. Had this game not been kickstarted I assure you we wouldn't be getting glimpses of parts of the game this early.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
a0QZwpP.gif

Looking great! Time to get hyped!

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was skeptical during the KS campaign, especially since around that time I was feeling very cynical because of MN9. But when the demo came out, and I played it -- It just felt right. I finished it and wanted to play more. I agree with some others that the main character design is bleh, but the way the game plays and moves and how it's paced is exactly right.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks really good. It's pretty much what you would expect Castlevania to look like in 2.5D. That boss fight looks great too.

Maybe I just haven't played a Castlevania game in awhile, but is it just me or does this look slow?

Don't get me wrong, like the style and sound... it just seems like its wading through molasses at times.
The movement speed and jump speed are exactly the same as Symphony of the Night. I played the demo back in the day and it just felt exactly right, and that's because it is. I even loaded up my copy of Xbox 360 Arcade SotN just to check and walked Alucard around and yup, he walks and jumps exactly the same.

This is my old video of playing through the demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X23akP4RtgI

Even at that stage, which is a hacked together E3 demo, you could see the vision for the game's design clearly.

Last edited: