• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I did the $300 tier and later upgraded with an additional $60. I love Igavanias. To me, it's worth it for another Igavania game. I don't feel any buyer's remorse for my tier. If the price point means that the game can be successful enough to warrant more games from him in the future then my contribution went that much further. I mostly back art-oriented Kickstarters so I'm well aware that I'm not usually getting a 1:1 money to good conversion.

First game I backed was that adventure game by Tim Shafer. I was sort of in a bad spot then in life in general so for me it was worth it just to be able to follow the game development, and have something to discuss and take my mind of things. I love point and click but I really didn't like the final product that much, still think it was worth it if that make any sense.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I've played the backer alpha and beta. I know exactly what I'm getting. In fact most of those that played either of the two backer demos knows the expectations of this project.

IGA entire premise of this project was another title in the vein of SOTN for a modern console / PC platform. In terms of feel and character control, that is exactly what I'm getting. I cannot be disapointed if IGA provides exactly what he intends to release.

It's funny how people like to downplay the released demos as if the final game would be an even worse representation of what folks got to play last year and back in 2016.

The irony here with the comparisons of MN9 is that, MN9's wishes it was half as good as the unfinished backer demo that Bloodstained backers played. Yes, an unfinished beta demo being better than the entire finished work that MN9 turned out to be. Bloodstained accomplished that with just a demo.

The folks that still have the forgone conclusion that this game is just another MN9 fiasco haven't been paying attention at all.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
First game I backed was that adventure game by Tim Shafer. I was sort of in a bad spot then in life in general so for me it was worth it just to be able to follow the game development, and have something to discuss and take my mind of things. I love point and click but I really didn't like the final product that much, still think it was worth it if that make any sense.
Nah, it makes sense. The first thing I backed was Under the Dog, which ended up being terrible, but I still think it was worth taking a shot on.
The folks that still have the forgone conclusion that this game is just another MN9 fiasco haven't been paying attention at all.
I mean, yeah. But I gave up trying to engage with those folks ages ago. There's just no point until the game releases, which is thankfully soon.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
So far I'm quite satisfied with what I've seen as a backer for the $300 Signed Collector's Edition, and got a friend excited for it as well. I loved Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, and see Ritual of the Night in quite a positive light so far. Can't wait to play it. Loved me some GBA/DS era Castlevania.

Backing this game wasn't a mistake. Nor was backing Obduction, Yooka-Laylee, etc.

...Backing Underworld Ascendant was a mistake, but not the above games.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I mean, yeah. But I gave up trying to engage with those folks ages ago. There's just no point until the game releases, which is thankfully soon.

I am a bit more invested in this game then some other people, and it's not because of the money I pledged.

My mother's personal favorite games were Suikoden II, Symphony of the Night, and Lunar SSC. I tried to preserve her 200.6% Save with almost 99 of every single item drop in the game, 100% Bestairy completion. I am not even sure that memory card works anymore, and I misplaced my PS2 power brick, so I can't check it until I get a new one.

I originally kickstarted this game with the intent to play the game together with her. The Kickstarter ended May 11th. However my mother passed away in June of that same year. So which is why I increased the pledge to the point to leave a small dedication in the game credits for her.

While I am looking forward to play this game. The memorial is more important to me personally.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I am a bit more invested in this game then some other people, and it's not because of the money I pledged.

My mother's personal favorite games were Suikoden II, Symphony of the Night, and Lunar SSC. I tried to preserve her 200.6% Save with almost 99 of every single item drop in the game, 100% Bestairy completion. I am not even sure that memory card works anymore, and I misplaced my PS2 power brick, so I can't check it until I get a new one.

I originally kickstarted this game with the intent to play the game together with her. The Kickstarter ended May 11th. However my mother passed away in June of that same year. So which is why I increased the pledge to the point to leave a small dedication in the game credits for her.

While I am looking forward to play this game. The memorial is more important to me personally.
I'm sorry to hear about her passing :( I'll keep an eye out for that dedication in the credits.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017

Sorry for your loss.

You should either pick up a usb memory card adapter or use FMCB to preserve those saves. It's really easy.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a backer for a physical Switch copy, and couldn't be more excited. I wish I followed the project closer, but I just can't in the grand scheme of things. Is there any official word on when physical Switch backers will receive their copies? I've seen the drama here about the wait for backers, but I'm not frustrated or anything, just genuinely curious if there's any info out there. Thanks!

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I'm a backer for a physical Switch copy, and couldn't be more excited. I wish I followed the project closer, but I just can't in the grand scheme of things. Is there any official word on when physical Switch backers will receive their copies? I've seen the drama here about the wait for backers, but I'm not frustrated or anything, just genuinely curious if there's any info out there. Thanks!

The plan for all backers, last I heard, is that they're trying to ship them out so they arrive on release day. Of course, sometimes shit happens, and international shipping has its own issues, but they want to get it out to backers same day. For Switch owners, that should be same day as well.

In fact, yeah, here it is:

"We're working very hard to make sure that everyone will receive their physical and digital game copies on launch day for their respective platform; we'll of course be updating everyone as soon as we're able to confirm this. All the backer rewards aside from the physical copies of the game will arrive later in a single shipment; we're doing it this way to reduce the chances of anything interfering with our goal of the backers getting their games at launch."

But yeah, don't forget to confirm your shipping address by the 31st, as that's the last time they'll accept changes.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The plan for all backers, last I heard, is that they're trying to ship them out so they arrive on release day. Of course, sometimes shit happens, and international shipping has its own issues, but they want to get it out to backers same day. For Switch owners, that should be same day as well.

In fact, yeah, here it is:

"We're working very hard to make sure that everyone will receive their physical and digital game copies on launch day for their respective platform; we'll of course be updating everyone as soon as we're able to confirm this. All the backer rewards aside from the physical copies of the game will arrive later in a single shipment; we're doing it this way to reduce the chances of anything interfering with our goal of the backers getting their games at launch."
Like I've said, I'm totally okay with getting the game a few days later. Sometimes not even Amazon can fulfill launch day delivery so I'm not unreasonable and expect a Kickstarter project to be able to do this flawlessly. I just hope people getting their games two days late doesn't translate into a pathetic shitstorm online.
But yeah, don't forget to confirm your shipping address by the 31st, as that's the last time they'll accept changes.
We should probably make a new thread warning people that the cut off date is imminent. There's always someone a day late saying "I missed the date! I wish someone had told me!"

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
We should probably make a new thread warning people that the cut off date is imminent. There's always someone a day late saying "I missed the date! I wish someone had told me!"

That is a fair point, Not every single backer reads each new update for the game. So to be unaware of the cutoff date simply because they weren't aware of the deadline, despite the updates giving them this information, is probably something that should be avoided.

Might be worthwhile to make a threadmark or a thread to point out the deadline is in 5 days and they have been warned.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is a fair point, Not every single backer reads each new update for the game. So to be unaware of the cutoff date simply because they weren't aware of the deadline, despite the updates giving them this information, is probably something that should be avoided.

Might be worthwhile to make a threadmark or a thread to point out the deadline is in 5 days and they have been warned.
It's Sunday still in the America's. If we're making a new thread I'd say wait until at least Tuesday morning since tomorrow Monday is a holiday in the US. But that's just me.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon. But didn't they stop work on the Vita version?
He's since been reminded that, yes, both the WiiU and Vita consoles were canceled due to the delays in the project pushing way past these platforms stopped being relevant.

The WiiU cancellation at least directly contributed in us getting a Switch version instead, so there's that.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
$360 backer and I asked for the DLC to not be backer exclusive.

Yeah, I don't see what the problem is. I backed it at the $150 tier, but I missed the survey to decide on whether to sell the backer exclusive content as DLC. Personally, I'd have said to go right ahead and sell it. I hate when I'm locked out of content in a game because I either couldn't preorder it, back it because of being short on money, or press an email confirmation quick enough.

I guess my mentality on kickstarters, and often the reason backers pay a premium, is that I'm backing this game so it exists. Without the backers, there's a very, very high chance this game wouldn't exist. A game in a genre I'm very much passionate about. So yeah, I paid a premium to help development come to fruition. I don't particularly feel that it gives me some kind of entitled exclusivity to content. Maybe it's because I'm a game designer myself, and work in the gaming industry, but I don't like the idea of keeping content from gamers that have paid for that content.

Sure, backers paid extra, so the game could reach stretch goals and provide content. If the motivation was just so I could get exclusive stuff that no one else could have so I could wave my epeen around online all smug and shit... that's just immature to me.

I backed Bloodstained because I desperately wanted an Igavania on consoles/pc/portable. I also wanted more gamers to have a chance to experience an authentic Igavania title (no offense to the myriad of indie titles clearly inspired by his work in the genre and were some pretty amazing Metroidvanias as well). I couldn't give a rats ass about non-backers being able to buy the Iga Back Pack. I'm just happy the game exists and my tiny contribution helped make it happen. It's not like I'm shut out of the content myself, so what's the problem?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't see what the problem is. I backed it at the $150 tier, but I missed the survey to decide on whether to sell the backer exclusive content as DLC. Personally, I'd have said to go right ahead and sell it. I hate when I'm locked out of content in a game because I either couldn't preorder it, back it because of being short on money, or press an email confirmation quick enough.

I guess my mentality on kickstarters, and often the reason backers pay a premium, is that I'm backing this game so it exists. Without the backers, there's a very, very high chance this game wouldn't exist. A game in a genre I'm very much passionate about. So yeah, I paid a premium to help development come to fruition. I don't particularly feel that it gives me some kind of entitled exclusivity to content. Maybe it's because I'm a game designer myself, and work in the gaming industry, but I don't like the idea of keeping content from gamers that have paid for that content.

Sure, backers paid extra, so the game could reach stretch goals and provide content. If the motivation was just so I could get exclusive stuff that no one else could have so I could wave my epeen around online all smug and shit... that's just immature to me.

I backed Bloodstained because I desperately wanted an Igavania on consoles/pc/portable. I also wanted more gamers to have a chance to experience an authentic Igavania title (no offense to the myriad of indie titles clearly inspired by his work in the genre and were some pretty amazing Metroidvanias as well). I couldn't give a rats ass about non-backers being able to buy the Iga Back Pack. I'm just happy the game exists and my tiny contribution helped make it happen. It's not like I'm shut out of the content myself, so what's the problem?
Amen.

$125 backer here and I also voted for everyone to be able to get the content since I couldn't care less about it being exclusive. I didnt back this game for that high tier to get a super exclusive boss fight and a weapon.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I did spend a whole lot of money on mighty number nine tho so.... you all are welcome.

miSLdNb.gif

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Amen.

$125 backer here and I also voted for everyone to be able to get the content since I couldn't care less about it being exclusive. I didnt back this game for that high tier to get a super exclusive boss fight and a weapon.

It's funny, my initial pledge was, I believe, $60, so I could get a physical copy of the game. I knew the game was already successfully funded, and that's all I cared about, but I wanted to throw a few bucks their way to show my love of the genre and Iga's work. I would have pledged more the , but I didn't have enough money at the time. Months and months later, I finally had the money to upgrade my tier to the $150 one. Honestly, having my name in the credits of an Igavania was worth it alone, but I also wanted the art book and other little physical rewards that aren't actually important, but neat to have. I'm a huge fan of art books though, so I'm always up for acquiring more.

I admit I'm pretty terrible at keeping up with stretch goals and project updates, so I remember being pleasantly surprised when I discovered that we were getting Curse of the Moon. To think that the project I wanted to back actually spawned two titles! It felt even more worth it. Especially as someone who grew up in the 80's, playing the original Castlevania back in '87, when I was 8 years old, and falling in love with the series and that style of game. Curse of the Moon being so good, and such a nostalgia trip for me was a highlight of this whole Kickstarter. And to think that wouldn't have existed if like minded passionate gamers hadn't taken the risk to support development of this game via Kickstarter or Fangamer.

I've only kickstarted a handful of things. So far I'm still waiting on one to be complete, but the others were so worth it. It doesn't sour me on the concept of kickstarters. I think when managed correctly, the benefits outweigh the risks. But there is risk.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Got my email asking to confirm my address today too.

It begins. Soon. Soooooooooon.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just checked and confirmed my adress thanks! Would have looked over it cuz i used my personal email for it otherwise.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they announced it, but credit names/clans are locked down now too. The only things you can still change are your mailing address and your shirt size.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Got my address confirmation e-mail last night as well. God, it's insane to think this is the first Kickstarter game I backed where I'm actually getting a physical product out of the deal...and it's been such a long time since I backed it that I'm not super excited anymore.

Hopefully the final game is a pleasant surprise!

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping I get the game in a timely manner, as I backed a physical PC release. Are they planning on shipping them on launch day, or are they gonna surprise us with like, early releases?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Hoping I get the game in a timely manner, as I backed a physical PC release. Are they planning on shipping them on launch day, or are they gonna surprise us with like, early releases?

It doesn't seem like we're getting an early release, but that they're trying to get them out so we receive them around launch? I dunno, they said they were working on it.

Is there some contract they have with physical retailers that doesn't allow them to ship to backers early, or is it just a logistics issue?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I imagine we might see them trickle in around the official retail release date give or take a couple days, if only because coordinating shipments so they reach everyone exactly ON launch day would be a lot of work, and shipping them on launch day feels like a poor way to serve people who backed for a physical copy.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry TL;DR... But does anyone know if the (PS4) physical backer copies will come wrapped in cellophane or not?

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the result of the vote about the backer content?

I'm locked in to the stupid switch version so I'm planning on getting rid of it so I'd really like to have the content since I backed the game.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
What was the result of the vote about the backer content?

I'm locked in to the stupid switch version so I'm planning on getting rid of it so I'd really like to have the content since I backed the game.

You can buy it for 10 bucks.

Switch might be the hardest to sell at least at launch. It's the worst performing one, and it's the only one that currently has that steel case offer at BB. That not only means non backers may opt for that version, but even backers may get it to get the case and then hock the switch copy.