• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The demo took me about an hour and I really enjoyed it! That said, here are some notes on what I liked and did not like:

Good:

-The music is fantastic, especially the for the fight against Zengetsu. Just incredible. I cannot wait to hear the rest of the soundtrack!

-The backgrounds are great! I really like the details in the castle area especially. It feels like an otherworldly place!

-There seems to be a good variety of weapon types! The more weapons we have to experiment with and develop playstyles around, the better!

-The speed belt accessory makes Miriam feel much better, as if her default speed should be a little faster.

-Taking missions from villagers is good!

-Crafting with Johannes is good! I like that

-New Vepar design is much better!

-Save room is gorgeous! Almost too good because some other areas look plain by comparison.

Bad:

-Backer photos should be tucked away in a secret room somewhere in the castle, not in the main entrance! It takes me out of the experience which is a real shame since the first area of the castle is where you get your first big impression of the main setting of the game!

-Miriam's scream when getting a new shard. I would like it better if it were a shorter scream, or just a sound effect.

-The mouths on character portraits would be better if they didn't move at all during cutscenes. The way they are now looks strange.

-Miriam's pose when getting a new shard seems too cute. I would like to see her look tougher or more battle-hardened.

-I wish the characters didn't have so much of an anime style to them. I would prefer more gothic character designs like Symphony of the Night.

-Water effects look strange at times. The water running all over the boat in the beginning looks distracting. There also seems to be less wind and mist blowing around on the deck than in the previous demo.

-The boat might have looked better in the first demo. I can't decide if it is because it was lit better or if the new water effects are the problem for me.

-No music in the village area?

-I would prefer Miriam to have a single attack cry/shout and have it be more subtle.

-Need a "Library Card" item to quickly transport to the shop.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm very happy with how the game looks and am very excited to play the full version some day.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever released that fix for the crate bug that prevents some players from pushing it and thus remain stuck? Because Im one of those who didnt even get to fight Vepar because I couldnt get past that fucking crate.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Ended up losing a bit of progress once or twice due to a bug where you don't land properly (you get stuck in the ground), you can reload your save, but happened to me more than once

Took me about an hour, enjoyed the demo and has gotten me excited for the full game, hopefully there's a weapon set toggle like the DS Castlevanias (it wasn't available right from the start if I remember right in those so might still be in the game), otherwise I couldn't see myself using the firearms much

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I've been farming mats and crafting gear. I made the big Rathalos sword, the Flame whip, Witch hat, bat wing scarf, among others. There's nothing really special about those weapons, though. They just look cool and do more damage.

I have not found a familiar shard, even with all that farming. I guess they're not in. I think I saw a ghost familiar at SXSW or something.

I also spent like 15 minutes comparing run and jump speeds between this and the DS Castlevanias. Miriam runs faster than Shanoa, Soma, and Jonathan/Charlotte. Miriam's jump is a fraction of a second longer than Shanoa and Soma's, and closer to POR's but still a tiny bit longer.

Last edited:

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Did they ever released that fix for the crate bug that prevents some players from pushing it and thus remain stuck? Because Im one of those who didnt even get to fight Vepar because I couldnt get past that fucking crate.
The answer i got on the steam community of going windowed to push the crate worked for me. The crate doesn't budge in full screen but works properly in windowed mode.

---------
Anyway , my nephew came over the week-end and i've made him play. he had a rough timeat first but got into the groove once i explained him the basics it's actually fun to see someone else play differently from me. He abused the backstep move and i can't help but think this move should have more recovery frames now.
I actually like the quest system. I feel like the menu for quests should be tweaked so we can see the progression of the quest and not just ( a small change once it's done ) but other than that i'm still having a bit of fun.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
What refresh rate are your monitors for those having trouble with the box in fullscreen mode? Using G-SYNC or FreeSync?

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Spent a good two+ hours with the backer demo. I love it. Assume I like everything else about the demo besides my quibbles here:
The delay for loading speaking bits is too long and the time it takes to skip through them is also too long. It's ok for a first playthrough but when you plan on multiple runs having to wait through each dark screen to get to the next one is painful. The worst instance is the sub-quest NPC (Lindsay) where you need to skip 3 dialogs just to access the quest screen and if you complete multiple quests at once you have to go through it each time to claim the rewards. That's a bummer. Aside from bugs others have mentioned this is probably my biggest complaint about the game so far. Weapon hit boxes feel weird when jumping. The whip is probably the most confusing as stuff right in front of you gets missed. I get that's kind of how real whips work but CV whips are deadly from base to tip so it was jarring.

Some foreground/background stuff gets confusing. The worst is the Vepar boss fight. It's not super obvious when the tentacles are in the foreground. I've also been hit by bats and walked into a bone morte just cause I didn't see them but that's probably more on me.

I love that there's some cosmetic customization with hats, accessories, and footwear. It's a nice touch. Enemy design looks awesome, the castle looks incredible, the soundtrack so far is spot on, the controls are tight and intuitive, the shard system feels like a perfect recreation of the aria souls system. Crafting seems like a nice way to upgrade your gear. I couldn't find any of the material needed to dismantle gear though so I'm not sure if that's in the game yet.

I'm curious what movement options we'll get as the game progresses. Double jump seems like a no brainer looking at the level design, but I'm hoping it's not a 1 to 1 mapping of symphony's abilities. Bat/wolf/mist forms are cool and all but I'd like something different even if it's just a cosmetically different. Maybe something like an air dash would be fun, or the ability to walk on the ceiling. Either way I had a blast going through it and I'm more confident this will be what I wanted when I backed it.

ShinNoNoir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I showed a friend of mine a bit of gameplay and he was like "where are the whips?" As a response, I decided to have some fun and do a whip-only Zangetsu fight. I didn't play that well, but It was quite enjoyable, even though the fight took longer than normal considering the only whip I have on my current save file is quite weak.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I've been saying all of this time for those were iffy about the gameplay not being similar to SOTN to just play the demo and see for yourself.

So this is what vidication feels like...

There is are a couple issues I note with the demo.

Miriam's movement speed should be default as the speed belt. Her weapon swing should be just a touch faster for consistency (Overlaid with Alucard's swing, Miriam is slightly slower but feels like the animation ends at the same time so there's a bit of inconsistency here.)

All in all, outside of the polishing on what usually occurs during the last bits of development to clean up everything to look closer to the consistency of the save room in terms of graphical design. I think I'll just be waiting until the finished game and it's release. I look forward to it.

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I sorta dislike the blind spots on the whip and how you can get caught in a really bad spot if you attack "normally." But you can do stuff like this too so I guess it's ok.

I think I still want to main the whip when the final game comes out cause it ends up being really fun.

ShinNoNoir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Man, I sorta dislike the blind spots on the whip and how you can get caught in a really bad spot if you attack "normally." But you can do stuff like this too so I guess it's ok.

I think I still want to main the whip when the final game comes out cause it ends up being really fun.

Ha, that's much, much better than my attempt at a whip-only Zangetsu fight.

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, that's much, much better than my attempt at a whip-only Zangetsu fight.

Lol I totally didn't notice your vid when I did a quick scroll through. Wasn't intending to steal your thunder there.

I watched your video though. It's not like you played badly, but you're playing in Zangetsu's ideal range. If you try what I did in my video with any weapon (whip just has better backwards range shenanigans), you might see that he can't unleash like half of his moveset. Guy doesn't even get a chance to power up in my vid. I was kinda hoping he would cause I might have won sooner with that kind of opening.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I played a little of the demo using the Steam Link and my PS4 controller, and it was nice. Really digging it. I have a few little issues about some of the responsiveness, but overall, it feels great. Better than I was expecting it to. Visually, it looks much, much better than some of the videos I've been watching as well. I may miss sprite based CV, but this one still looks very good. I haven't finished the demo yet (I completed the boat section and made it to the town), and I want it to release already. It feels like forever since it was announced.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I played a little of the demo using the Steam Link and my PS4 controller, and it was nice. Really digging it. I have a few little issues about some of the responsiveness, but overall, it feels great. Better than I was expecting it to. Visually, it looks much, much better than some of the videos I've been watching as well. I may miss sprite based CV, but this one still looks very good. I haven't finished the demo yet (I completed the boat section and made it to the town), and I want it to release already. It feels like forever since it was announced.

You should try playing on a PC and monitor if you're having issues with response times over Steam Link.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished a run through the demo. For whatever reason, my game launched with Japanese audio this time, which is fine for me but I wish I knew why it ended up that way, lol

Everything seems fine to me. Backgrounds didn't really bother me while playing at all. Definitely wanted a faster way to get back to the village from inside the castle, though.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You should try playing on a PC and monitor if you're having issues with response times over Steam Link.

I booted up the demo before I got the steam link and played for a few minutes, and the controls feel the same as when using the steam link. The game feels very good overall. About on par with other Igavania's in my opinion. There's definitely some differences, because you are dealing with 3D models in 3D space, compared to 2D models, but it's good. I think maybe you mistook my comment to mean that I was having these huge, laggy moments with the controls, but it's more of a subtle, I jump to hit a hanging lantern, attack with my weapon, and the hit detection doesn't seem to respond correctly, and I don't break the lantern. I have to hit it in a very specific way in order to break it. It's an incredibly minor thing.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to like the game but I'm finding it difficult to ignore the flaws -- mostly presentation flaws. The environment art, in particular, is just really uneven. So much of it looks bland or downright awful.

piYUJ3A.png

rDs24mJ.png
Like what is this? I'm holding back a little because I know how hard it is to make a game and I don't want to be insensitive, but suffice it to say I think there's a great deal of room for improvement here

On the bright side I liked the variety of weapons I found in the demo and I think the character is generally animated well and is fun to control. That's all well and good, but the presentation is kind of troubling to me

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I want to like the game but I'm finding it difficult to ignore the flaws -- mostly presentation flaws. The environment art, in particular, is just really uneven. So much of it looks bland or downright awful.

Like what is this? I'm holding back a little because I know how hard it is to make a game and I don't want to be insensitive, but suffice it to say I think there's a great deal of room for improvement here

On the bright side I liked the variety of weapons I found in the demo and I think the character is generally animated well and is fun to control. That's all well and good, but the presentation is kind of troubling to me
Outside of the Minerva, everything seems like really early stuff before they've taking a lighting and shading pass.

I don't know if that actually is the case, but I certainly hope so. The save room shows how nice everything can look once there's been attention put on it, so...

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, absolutely. That one area is where I was like "uhhhhhhhhhhhh" graphically. I really hope they're going to continue to make improvements.

ALSO MAKE THE SPEED BELT THE DEFAULT SPEED PLEASE.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
-Backer photos should be tucked away in a secret room somewhere in the castle, not in the main entrance! It takes me out of the experience which is a real shame since the first area of the castle is where you get your first big impression of the main setting of the game!
I think they were intended to hang in the entrance from the beginning. Given how much these people pledged, I don't think it's a big deal for them to be put in such a common area. Also, I like the cat photo.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Ok then give us an option to turn backer content off like some games have. Everyone wins.
If they paid to be featured in a prominent area in the game, then giving players an option to turn that feature off would go against the point of the reward. I don't understand how someone can be so put off by such a minor part of the game. Also, in case you're not aware, people whose portraits are hanging in the castle pledged $1,500 or more for that privilege.

Last edited:

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I archived my playthrough a couple nights ago on YouTube in case anyone would find it interesting, even though I spent a lot of time fucking around and collecting shards lol

Also, Japanese audio for reasons even I have no idea of

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know that, but I'm sure they could figure something better surely?
The reward was literally:

"The development team will create a digital portrait of YOU and hang it somewhere in the game's castle!"

There's a total of 30 portraits, and I don't think I passed 30 of them on the way in, so there are probably some elsewhere in the castle too.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California

"The development team will create a digital portrait of YOU and hang it somewhere in the game's castle!"

There's a total of 30 portraits, and I don't think I passed 30 of them on the way in, so there are probably some elsewhere in the castle too.
Yeah, I think there are only eight of them in the entrance. I'm really looking forward to seeing the enemies that're based on backers' pets. XD

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

I wouldn't even call it presentation, it's really just basic lighting and shading, even super low budget indie games get that right.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

At the end of the day, these games don't get made without backers, so I do understand it's difficult.

Like Shenmue 3, they'll be a small area in the docks dedicated to photos etc, so they will not be scattered all over the game world, but maybe they should make a dedicated portrait room or something, for this, kinda like an art collection, in the castle? Keep the atmosphere in check so to speak.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day, these games don't get made without backers, so I do understand it's difficult.

Like Shenmue 3, they'll be a small area in the docks dedicated to photos etc, so they will not be scattered all over the game world, but maybe they should make a dedicated portrait room or something, for this, kinda like an art collection, in the castle? Keep the atmosphere in check so to speak.

Yeah, there was a museum of fine art in Order of Eclesia i think, would make sense to have portraits in such a place :)
i was not annoyed at the portraits though, in fact i loved the cat (cannot figure why xD ).

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Just finished a run through the demo. For whatever reason, my game launched with Japanese audio this time, which is fine for me but I wish I knew why it ended up that way, lol

Everything seems fine to me. Backgrounds didn't really bother me while playing at all. Definitely wanted a faster way to get back to the village from inside the castle, though.

What does "everything seems fine to me" mean?

I backed the game but switched my platform from PC to Switch so now I don't think I get access to the demo... how was it if you're a huge fan of SOTN?

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does "everything seems fine to me" mean?

I backed the game but switched my platform from PC to Switch so now I don't think I get access to the demo... how was it if you're a huge fan of SOTN?

same kind of movement and control, same kind of enemies and patterns, i feel there will me more powers (but no transformations as of yet), same kind of level layout, same kind of leveling up, more diversity in weapons, more accessories show visual differences, same kind of secrets, as good a music track (a tad less often renoveled, it's longer before a music change), they even created the same kind of "quiet time loading room" even though most don't mask loading xD

In terms of completion, the engine is good now (you can cheat and move yourself and the engine properly positions the level around you, before you would fall to your doom), the balance is not there yet, the levels are far from complete, visuals are not there yet, sound balance is not there yet, story cuts are not too good with low low voice mix... i don't see how this could release this year. Character models are done i think for most of the main characters, and base enemies, but secondary npcs are rough and a lot of enemies are missing. If the demo reflects the state of implementation then about a twentieth of the layout is done i think.

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
ahaha, found an unlucky backer who got her picture well hidden in the demo xD
hiddenbackerg6uag.jpg

edit...
a couple of backers xD
hiddenbacker2itjll.jpg

Hmmmm end of hallways, I think you could trace their lineage to that of poor farm workers, or even slaves, still they must have managed some level of importance, to have their portrait mounted in the castle at all though eh.

Oct 26, 2017
same kind of movement and control, same kind of enemies and patterns, i feel there will me more powers (but no transformations as of yet), same kind of level layout, same kind of leveling up, more diversity in weapons, more accessories show visual differences, same kind of secrets, as good a music track (a tad less often renoveled, it's longer before a music change), they even created the same kind of "quiet time loading room" even though most don't mask loading xD

In terms of completion, the engine is good now (you can cheat and move yourself and the engine properly positions the level around you, before you would fall to your doom), the balance is not there yet, the levels are far from complete, visuals are not there yet, sound balance is not there yet, story cuts are not too good with low low voice mix... i don't see how this could release this year. Character models are done i think for most of the main characters, and base enemies, but secondary npcs are rough and a lot of enemies are missing. If the demo reflects the state of implementation then about a twentieth of the layout is done i think.

That's not how software development works. They might have the entire game finished except these parts, or they haven't done anything beyond this yet (which would be a really strange way to go about it). We don't know and we can't tell from the state of this demo.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not how software development works. They might have the entire game finished except these parts, or they haven't done anything beyond this yet (which would be a really strange way to go about it). We don't know and we can't tell from the state of this demo.

I was talking about completion in terms of number of screens worth finished in the demo not in terms of milestones or manhours, or base assets completion rate in the arts department, upon the clear hypothesis that they only did what was in the demo and nothing beyond. There are 234 screens out of which about 100 seem final (or close to), and the game is supposed to have more screens than SOTN. If they put all they got right before the demo, and the goal being 2000 screens to complete, it's mapped to a twentieth.