• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I'm actually surprised there's people OK with a 30fps 2D Castlevania. That is not going to feel good to play.

In for the X version. I wish this would hurry and come out tho, feels like its been forever.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm actually surprised there's people OK with a 30fps 2D Castlevania. That is not going to feel good to play.

In for the X version. I wish this would hurry and come out tho, feels like its been forever.

You say this like the NES games and SNES game ran smooth all the time, they ran like shit often times. It's not ideal certainly but the games didn't have a rep for smoothness back in the day and required way more precision than these games do.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You say this like the NES games and SNES game ran smooth all the time, they ran like shit often times. It's not ideal certainly but the games didn't have a rep for smoothness back in the day and required way more precision than these games do.

Uh they ran at 60 fps most of the time still. For the very few moments where they did slow down, they didn't skip frames, they didn't turn into 30fps games. They were locked at a 60fps refresh. You were still getting your 60 frames, just slower.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh they ran at 60 fps most of the time still. For the very few moments where they did slow down, they didn't skip frames, they didn't turn into 30fps games. They were locked at a 60fps refresh. You were still getting your 60 frames, just slower.
And the GOAT for the longest time and still to many today, hovers around 22FPS. Yet not many, if any, complained about those things bcak then. We just enjoyed playing games. That's why I say 30FPS, and a lower resolution won't bother me.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Not as good looking and worst performances, the decision to go 3D still hurts years later. Should have gone 2D, so many of their Kickstarter contemporaries managed to do it just fine with games that run at 60fps, so I don't really see what excuse they have.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Having to approximate for the game running like total shit when more than an enemy was on screen never interfered with me despite totally changing the timing. A steady 30 fps the entire time is a lot easier for the average person to contend with then a game that literally changes speed depending on how much is on screen at once. People grossly overstate these issues, even stuff like input lag making a game unplayable is just hilarious to me. An average human can compensate for that small delay and just factor it into everything they do from there on, it doesn't mean we shouldn't want more but the hyperbole around it is hilarious.

It's funny because i'm playing Kid Dracula as we speak, I can take a random clip almost anywhere of it running not great, such as just now.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Actually, yes, I had no problems enjoying Samus Returns. I recall it being pretty stable though? Unstable 30fps is the worst.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's fine and totally playable on NSW at 30fps. But I won't be playing it there even though I prefer the form factor :/

PC and maybe Vita through Moonlight it is, then!

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I was 70-30 ps4 vs switch , but this just makes things easier. Ps4 for me, 60 fps, 1080p, better dpad and analog sticks and trophies.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried it and didn't play more than 30 minutes. How could you play a platforming game with fast moving camera at 30 FPS?

Sometimes I wish I wouldn't be so sensible to these kind of things.
Were you around the N64/PS1 days? Games during that time would struggle to hold 30FPS all the time, games like FF7 ran at 15FPS during its battles. How did you manage during those days if you're so allergic to sub 60 FPS?

Jan 21, 2019
Were you around the N64/PS1 days? Games during that time would struggle to hold 30FPS all the time, games like FF7 ran at 15FPS during its battles. How did you manage during those days if you're so allergic to sub 60 FPS?

Most people don't even know what framerate is until it is pointed out and reinforced over and over again. Played Dark Souls 1 on PS3 and never knew Blighttown was problematic. Or Bayonetta on PS3. I'm pretty glad that I don't care about that stuff. I prefer 60 but 30 is not a deal breaker. It's more like 60 is a nice bonus than a requirement for me. However, if I have a choice in a game, I usually go for 60.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I love when people talk about games that are 20 years old as if standards can't change. Or as if it wasn't bad then, but, you know, the only way you could play some games.

You did xyz 26 years ago! How did you survive???

Lol

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people don't even know what framerate is until it is pointed out and reinforced over and over again. Played Dark Souls 1 on PS3 and never knew Blighttown was problematic. Or Bayonetta on PS3.
Exactly. That's what I'm saying. We all could handle terrible frame rates back then and now a game that's steady 30 is unplayable? We became too spoiled.

Yes 60 is better than 30 but 30 isn't unplayable at all unless it's something like VR.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love when people talk about games that are 20 years old as if standards can't change. Or as if it wasn't bad then, but, you know, the only way you could play some games.

You did xyz 26 years ago! How did you survive???

Lol
Sub 30 may have been a standard 20 years ago but I'd argue 30 is a standard now on many triple A console games so it must suck not to be able to stomach 30 FPS when so many new triple A games are shipping right now with that frame rate still.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could at least toggle for non-dynamic resolution docked in exchange for hovering around 60fps.

Kinda hard to excuse it when something like Smash Ultimate is at 60.

If anything, this'll join my copy of Ys VIII on PS4 given the Switch performance.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. That's what I'm saying. We all could handle terrible frame rates back then and now a game that's steady 30 is unplayable? We became too spoiled.

Yes 60 is better than 30 but 30 isn't unplayable at all unless it's something like VR.
...but this is a side scrolling game. A genre which is almost always 60fps and was back in the 8 and 16-bit days. That's the standard for 2D Castlevania.

I replayed SotN countless times on PS1 at a blistering 20FPS. I'm sure I could manage 30 on Switch as long as it's a stable 30.
SotN is 60fps

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sub 30 may have been a standard 20 years ago but I'd argue 30 is a standard now on many triple A console games so it must suck not to be able to stomach 30 FPS when so many new triple A games are shipping right now with that frame rate still.

You keep saying this as if there isn't a 60fps option.

30fps is always worse than 60. Sometimes that's the only way to play a game, so no point (imo) complaining. But when there are different versions with superior performance, then of course people will care. Especially an indie game from a genre with the legacy of 60
fps.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Why do peope always like like 30 fps is some disgusting nausea inducing thing lol, yeah no shit 60 fps is better but it's not like you're going to get sick for playing 30 fps.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Ah, ok. That's something. But they really should have optimized/downgraded it to be able to run at 60 on Switch.

They're working on getting the game on 4 platforms at once while not being a huge studio or being backed by a major publisher.

Nintendo could not get their own UE4 game running anywhere near 720p/60fps, I'm not sure why everyone is holding an indie dev to such a high standard.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do peope always like like 30 fps is some disgusting nausea inducing thing lol, yeah no shit 60 fps is better but it's not like you're going to get sick for playing 30 fps.

Because it can be. Especially for this kind of game.

Why do so many people have a problem with others preferring a superior framerate?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You keep saying this as if there isn't a 60fps option.

30fps is always worse than 60. Sometimes that's the only way to play a game, so no point (imo) complaining. But when there are different versions with superior performance, then of course people will care. Especially an indie game from a genre with the legacy of 60
fps.
Of course! If there's an option for 60 and you can have that go for it. What I'm criticizing are those who say that a game at a steady 30 FPS is "literally unplayable" and shit. That's all.

I'm getting Bloodstained on PS4 because of a promise of a better performing port and it seems like I'm getting it so I know what's that like. But if it was 30fps across the board I'd still be able to play it.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Because it can be. Especially for this kind of game.

Why do so many people have a problem with others preferring a superior framerate?
I doubt it if it doesn't have performance issues, and i don't have a problem with people preferring better framerate i have a problem with people acting as if their eyes are going to pop out if they play 30 fps, as i said in my comment no shit 60 fps is better.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
we've dealt with plenty of games back in yesteryear at 30fps and lower, as much as it is a meme to talk about cinematic framerates these days and look fondly back on nostalgia.

with that being said, this is a sidescrolling platformer, something that has made its bread and butter on 60fps. Its completely different with genres you expect to be 60fps being capped at that fps...

Oct 26, 2017
I've kickstarted this for a stupid amount of money. I'll be getting both physical and digital copies on both Switch & PS4. Even before the Switch port was announced I was pulling for a Vita release and I KNEW there was no it'd be 60fps on that device.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UE4 really sucks on Switch

Getting to 60fps is something that barely seems posdible unless you invest MASSIVLY in optimization - and it usually comes at a great price tag resolution wise (see yoshi)