• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
60fps for PS4 and XB1; 4k for One X and Pro

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first time we've got confirmation that the PS4 and XB1 versión are going to be 60FPS. Also 4K support on Pro and X. So happy I didn't switch to the Switch and held on to PS4.
I don't expect rock solid 60FPS on vanilla PS4 and XB1 but at least it'll be targeting 60.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I think this is the first time we've got confirmation that the PS4 and XB1 versión are going to be 60FPS. Also 4K support on Pro and X. So happy I didn't switch to the Switch and held on to PS4.

Yeah it really is a bummer about the Switch performance this just seems like a perfect game for the Switch. I will probably be getting this for PC but the 4K/60 sounds great and I may get it for my X.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I don't expect rock solid 60FPS on vanilla PS4 and XB1 but at least it'll be targeting 60.

Well, they just lost a HUGE opportunity.

Although not so much since I'm pretty sure the game is going to sell more on Switch anyway but this means that I won't double dip for a physical release.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also according to the official forums 505 confirmed two massive updates are imminent: One this coming Thursday and another one the Thursday after that.

I expect reveal of the stretch goal extra modes, pre order info, MSRP, Kickstarter goodies, etc.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017

Nice, I figured it'd be 60FPS on PS4 but I'm glad we have confirmation so I don't have to think about selling my copy now.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I'm glad I stuck with the PS4 version now. 30 FPS will be fine given its portable, but I'll mostly play this on my TV.

As long as the game isn't missing any content I don't think the FPS drop won't be so bad.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
30 FPS might be fine for Bloodstained if it's not too action-heavy. It'd be a death sentence for something like Mega Man or Cuphead, though.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Switch was never going to be the choice of platform for those who want the best graphics and performance.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Enlighten me on how it's not trivial? I've shipped two 60fps games on Switch, one with Monogame and the other with Unity. In both cases 60fps took an incredible amount of work and optimization, particularly undocked.
Again you are using bad example engines. My point is, the switch is a capable system of running modern games with mobile hardware. But trying to bring ports of games from other platforms that are much more capable is going to be problematic. Yet, it can be done. Nintendo needs to patch higher clocks on portable power or give developers an option to choose it. The hardware is capable of running way higher in both docked and portable play.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'm not going to lie, 30fps on Switch bums me out. Action platformers really benefit from 60fps, but it is what it is. I'm traveling a bunch throughout the summer, and I'll only have my Switch with me, so it'll be the platform I purchase Bloodstained on. I just hope it runs flawlessly at 30fps.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I don't know what to do about my preorder. I wanna keep it since I own COTM on my Switch and loved it (and plan to get one for PS4 later down the line) but 30FPS in a game made for 60 in mind is inexcusable. I really hope they change their mind and patch it to include the proper framerate so this isn't another DOOM/Wolf II situation. Either that, or at the very least confirmation the game was made with 30 in mind originally before being upscaled to 60 would be nice so I know whether or not I'm getting a version that'll run well and not a lame scaled back version that won't feel right if I get the PS4 version alongside it. (ports like Sonic Forces and Ys suffer badly from this)

Heck, I'd gladly take a mode that would lower the visuals to 240P with 60FPS in docked mode only just to play the game at the proper speed. I liked it in FE Warriors and I really wish more games did that since I don't really care about how pretty the game looks, just how good it feels to play.

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enlighten me on how it's not trivial? I've shipped two 60fps games on Switch, one with Monogame and the other with Unity. In both cases 60fps took an incredible amount of work and optimization, particularly undocked.
Could you explain to a layman what do you mean by "particularly undocked"? Making the game run at 60fps undocked is more difficult than docked? Why? Not trying to stonewall you or anything, I'm just genuinely curious since I'm so ignorant on this topic.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP says no 4K on PS4 Pro, but posters in thread say it will be? Which is it?
The information that it will be 4K came from a tweet from just yesterday from the official Bloodstained account (see Threadmark or updated OP) while the original OP of this thread is from a month ago so I guess we should heed the most recent tweet. Maybe they just optimized it?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Could you explain to a layman what do you mean by "particularly undocked"? Making the game run at 60fps undocked is more difficult than docked? Why? Not trying to stonewall you or anything, I'm just genuinely curious since I'm so ignorant on this topic.

Undocked / portable is less powerful than docked, this is a very known fact dude, where have you been the last few years:p

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

The switch is throttled when undocked, it's a known fact. The CPU is going to run at a slower clock, because of factors, heat, battery, power. Etc..

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully the UE4 AA solution is used to smooth the res over.
Depending on how old UE build is they could use dynamic resolution and temporal upsampling.
Or they just use FXAA and constant resolution..

Upsampling does require additional power to run, but depending on content it can look very good. (Ie. Claybook.)

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The versions on more powerful hardware running better is nothing new for Switch owners. If that was a dealbreaker for me I wouldn't have gone for the Switch version to begin with.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I wanted the Switch version, that 60 FPS feels so good in games like SOTN, I gotta do it. One X or Pro for me, definitely.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Its alright as long as as its not wavering 30fps, I'll take my portability over framerate.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Wanted it on Switch but I'll pass and get it on PRO, not paying the same price for a worse performing game

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The switch is throttled when undocked, it's a known fact. The CPU is going to run at a slower clock, because of factors, heat, battery, power. Etc..
And because when dicked you don't have to deal with heat, battery, docked etc you can push the Switch farther to its limits and thus achieve better performance/resolution? So it's not because there's something on the dock that lets the Switch garner more power somehow?

Last edited:

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
ANd because when dicked you don't have to deal with heat, battery, power etc you can push the Switch farther to its limits and thus achieve better performance/resolution? So it's not because there's something on the dock that lets the Switch garner more power somehow?

exactly, the switch works just like a laptop when unplugged the power is throttled. there is nothing magical about the switch dock is just a piece of plastic, what the dock does is send a signal to the main board telling the unit that is indeed docked and can run the cpu a t full speed because it is plugged indifinitely to a power source.